The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
jeromeo87

2012 Off Season Discussion

Per Darren Dredger:

• Hockey Canada informed the NHLPA over the weeknd they would not be able to assist in a Canada - Russia summit series during the NHL lockout.
  • Hockey Canada needed to make the decision quickly to allow Canadian stars to decide on Euro playing options.
  • NHLPA will still consider all contingency options and may produce a similar event themselves.

Here's something kind of interesting:

As discussed on TSN's Insider Trading, expect OHL to unveil sanctions against its league's over-eager enforcers.

Over 10 fights=suspension.

Trying to find some silver lining in this mess and the best i can come up with is player development...the year in the AHL was really good for Staal, it can help Skinner with confidence and playing a role as the #1 scorer for the team...maybe he even gets some time centering Dalpe and Samson or Terry. Faulk will get major minutes all over the place, on the PP and Kill and as a top pairing. Guys like Welsh, Nash and hopefully Rask will get to see good competition and hone their skills a little more to help get them ready for the jump, whenever that occurs...

Checkers will not be too bad down the middle with Welsh, Nash, Rask and maybe some Skinner and Dalpe mixed in.

Skinner and Faulk have already cut their teeth in the NHL. Neither lacks confidence. Neither has much of anything to gain in the AHL. The most they can achieve in the AHL is getting hurt. The Canes would be nuts to let either one of them play more than a few tune up games and even then if any wanna be AHL goon even looks at either one sideways we have a sniper in the rafters and take them out.

The others can benefit from AHL time.

The biggest player losers in all of this is guys hoping to make a team in camp. Undoubtably a shortened camp/preseason will make that just about impossible. For us mainly this would seem to affect Murphy the most. Ironically, he's the one guy who I think really needs to see some AHL time.

Skinner and Faulk have already cut their teeth in the NHL. Neither lacks confidence. Neither has much of anything to gain in the AHL. The most they can achieve in the AHL is getting hurt. The Canes would be nuts to let either one of them play more than a few tune up games and even then if any wanna be AHL goon even looks at either one sideways we have a sniper in the rafters and take them out.

The others can benefit from AHL time.

The biggest player losers in all of this is guys hoping to make a team in camp. Undoubtably a shortened camp/preseason will make that just about impossible. For us mainly this would seem to affect Murphy the most. Ironically, he's the one guy who I think really needs to see some AHL time.

If he gets to play center, I think some AHL time would be good for Skinner.

If he gets to play center, I think some AHL time would be good for Skinner.

Certainly makes some sense. I would still think the risk outweighs the benefit outside of a few games.

I think Skinner and Faulk need to play, somewhere. If the Canes do decide to let them play, I'd rather see them in the AHL with our other prospects than Europe or Russia.

Plenty of the young stars have been assigned. Wish I was closer to Charlotte.

I was bored. I ended up here. :blush: Anyways, you should check out this 9-year old Czech kid.

No doubt this kid has talent, hopefully the lockout will be over by the time this kid reaches draft status! :thumbsup:

Semin decides to play almost for free to stay close to home during the NHL lockout

On Tuesday morning, the Russian Major Hockey League (a farm league for KHL clubs) announced that Alexander Semin agreed on a contract to play for Sokol, a team based in his home town.

"I just wanted to be at home a little more. And then the possibility came after the lockout was announced in the NHL. I decided to stay in Krasnoyarsk. That's all. My family was surprised at first, but then became very supporting. Everyone was very happy,"

MORE: Yahoo Sports -Why Alex Semin decided to play virtually for free in Russian minor league during NHL lockout

It says Semin could still join the KHL at a later date.

x

This maybe a little something to think about. This year the NFL and their players had a lockout and all parties involved, including the fans, were worried about the effects of a strike. Some were worried about life as we know it. They ignored the big elephant in the room, THE REFS. We know and have been complaining about the quality of the NHL refs. What would we get with replacements? Does anybody know when their contract is up? Or is this a problem the NHL will handle when it arrives like the last couple of CBA's?

Semin decides to play almost for free to stay close to home during the NHL lockout

On Tuesday morning, the Russian Major Hockey League (a farm league for KHL clubs) announced that Alexander Semin agreed on a contract to play for Sokol, a team based in his home town.

"I just wanted to be at home a little more. And then the possibility came after the lockout was announced in the NHL. I decided to stay in Krasnoyarsk. That's all. My family was surprised at first, but then became very supporting. Everyone was very happy,"

MORE: Yahoo Sports -Why Alex Semin decided to play virtually for free in Russian minor league during NHL lockout

It says Semin could still join the KHL at a later date.

x

So I'm sure this has been answered and i just missed it but......IF an agreement is reached they all come back and play in the NHL immediately right?

So I'm sure this has been answered and i just missed it but......IF an agreement is reached they all come back and play in the NHL immediately right?

They do if they want to. Ov made some reference that if the player salaries were cut some players may decide to stay in the KHL. I doubt this will be the case.

Quick question: Skinner has a 2 way deal right now. If he goes and plays in the AHL this season (if whole season is cancelled) will he have to go through waivers to play in the NHL next season?

Edited by hockeybaby

Jiri Tlusty has 3 goals, 4 assists, for 7 points and is +4 after 4 games with Kladno. He's playing with other NHLer's including Jagr, Plekanec, Zidlicky, and Kaberle.

Check out Mike Murphy's beautiful work in the KHL below.

Jiri Tlusty has 3 goals, 4 assists, for 7 points and is +4 after 4 games with Kladno. He's playing with other NHLer's including Jagr, Plekanec, Zidlicky, and Kaberle.

Thanks for posting, looks like our boy is picking up right where he left off :)

I've hear of Jagr, Plekanec and Zidlicky, but who's this Kaberle fellow? Is he any good? Might the Canes have an interest?

On another note, Mike Murphy is in the KHL? For me the link goes to a Zherdev goal.

Go Canes! I didn't mean go away though.

Edited by remkin

On another note, Mike Murphy is in the KHL? For me the link goes to a Zherdev goal.

Go Canes! I didn't mean go away though.

Yeah, Murphy bolted to the KHL months ago, instead of signing with the Canes. Notice the goalies sweater on the Zherdev goal. It's that Murphy.

Yeah, Murphy bolted to the KHL months ago, instead of signing with the Canes. Notice the goalies sweater on the Zherdev goal. It's that Murphy.

Does make me wonder if guys like Ryan Murphy could do something like that rather than go back to Juniors since there is no big time team to make. Get some time in vs. professionals. I figure a guy like Murphy will be the ones most hurt by this lockout. I don't really think he'd do it but is it contractually possible?

If the entire preseason is canceled, and they reach an agreement tomorrow, then what happens? Quick camp, some practices and skirmishes and start the schedule? I guess the Canes will likely still give Murphy his 10 games, but one would think he'd miss not having a full camp.

Does make me wonder if guys like Ryan Murphy could do something like that rather than go back to Juniors since there is no big time team to make. Get some time in vs. professionals. I figure a guy like Murphy will be the ones most hurt by this lockout. I don't really think he'd do it but is it contractually possible?

If the entire preseason is canceled, and they reach an agreement tomorrow, then what happens? Quick camp, some practices and skirmishes and start the schedule? I guess the Canes will likely still give Murphy his 10 games, but one would think he'd miss not having a full camp.

Per TSN (http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=406102), Murphy is on the list of junior players eligible to be recalled when the lockout ends.

As for if he could legally/contractually leave juniors to go to another league, that seems more complicated.

Nail Yakupov was sent to his junior team by the Oilers, but had permission from the Oilers to go to the KHL, which he did. Apparently his OHL team asked IIHF to step in, as he has a contract with them. IIHF informed his KHL team that he was not eligible to play, and fined them for the two games he had already played.

Just this evening, Hockey Canada has announced that he has been cleared to resume playing in KHL, based on the fact that he had no legal advice when signing his contract with Sarnia at the age of 17, so it is not valid.

So it would seem that skipping out on junior teams is something that will not be taken lightly, though I don't know Murphy's particular situation.

Quick question: Skinner has a 2 way deal right now. If he goes and plays in the AHL this season (if whole season is cancelled) will he have to go through waivers to play in the NHL next season?

No. The NHL pre-season is sort of a grace period from all waivers until coaches and management have sorted out who they want to keep on their NHL roster. Waiver restrictions kick in with the start of the NHL season.

No. The NHL pre-season is sort of a grace period from all waivers until coaches and management have sorted out who they want to keep on their NHL roster. Waiver restrictions kick in with the start of the NHL season.

That is not true. Many players had to clear waivers to be sent to the AHL teams. Skinner did not because he does not require waivers, as he has not played enough games. He was under by a dozen games or so. Edited by JLP