The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
jeromeo87

2012 Off Season Discussion

Wow. Are you a Winnipeg Jets fan?

Sorry, can you not read join dates? Have you not seen me in the chat for damn near almost every Canes game? I offer a different opinion, a different viewpoint, and you're going to ridicule me? Perhaps by far wasn't the best choice of words (as pointed out by Red Storm in the chat earlier,) but really dude? Come on.

Out of the two, Jordan is the one that's better in the defensive zone and more consistent in the faceoff circle, where as Eric has that offensive flare. That is why I think Jordan is the better fit out of the two for center, just to simplify things and not go off on a rant. I understand why others disagree, but, again, that's my opinion, if you don't like it then have an actual discussion about it instead of "HURR DURR R U A JETS FAN?" That's all I wanted to do, toss a different viewpoint into the mix and see what discussions could be made.

You brought up Whitney, I just used your example to show that given the choice between an older proven veteran player on the latter half of his playing days vs getting a young top proven player just coming into his prime... I'd take the younger guy any day. If I know I can make my team better for years to come knowing my stars are just coming into their primes along with some younger stars right behind them, why would I opt to just secure only the next couple of years?

Yes I did bring up Whitney, and I used him as an example of players in their 40's still playing. Maybe I should have used more names in that example to make it clear to you that playing into their 40's is not as rare as you think. I think that Franzen(if available) at 32 years of age and producing 50+ points per season would be worth getting. But if you think someone who would be the number 2 scorer on the Canes at 32 is too washed up, then good luck with that "rebuilding" that people seem to accept every year with prospects.

Edited by winger52

Sorry, can you not read join dates? Have you not seen me in the chat for damn near almost every Canes game? I offer a different opinion, a different viewpoint, and you're going to ridicule me? Perhaps by far wasn't the best choice of words (as pointed out by Red Storm in the chat earlier,) but really dude? Come on.

Out of the two, Jordan is the one that's better in the defensive zone and more consistent in the faceoff circle, where as Eric has that offensive flare. That is why I think Jordan is the better fit out of the two for center, just to simplify things and not go off on a rant. I understand why others disagree, but, again, that's my opinion, if you don't like it then have an actual discussion about it instead of "HURR DURR R U A JETS FAN?" That's all I wanted to do, toss a different viewpoint into the mix and see what discussions could be made.

To give benefit of the doubt, maybe jeromeo forgot the requisite smiley face? You know how I hate seeing strife on the boards--well, unless I instigated it of course...bwahahahahahaha....

Blinding, taking out the "by far" and adding some context made all the difference. I agree on your comparative points but disagree on the conclusion, all fine. I do offer this: there is nothing wrong--and a whole lot right--with having a defensive two way center on a top line and a scoring first, offensive center on the other top line. Think Selke winning Brind'Amour and 100 point scorer Staal centering lines in '06.

Yeah.. I guess I should have added a smiley. Just a joke, man! ***** :) *****

I do offer this: there is nothing wrong--and a whole lot right--with having a defensive two way center on a top line and a scoring first, offensive center on the other top line. Think Selke winning Brind'Amour and 100 point scorer Staal centering lines in '06.

Oh of course, but there's a couple of thoughts that went through my head when thinking about that, the first being that we already have a Brindy-esque two-way center in Sutter, and the second being that Jordan's offensive ability might be hindered by having to play third line center behind Crosby and Malkin (nevermind the fact that he has Cooke and Kennedy on his wing.) I absolutely agree that there's nothing wrong with having a center setup like that, but if we snag Jordan, we end up with three top 6 centers, and at that point it boils down to who plays the center role better, at least in my opinion. Someone suggested tossing Sutter on first line wing in the chat (I think it was OBX,) but I think that would be a waste just because of how good of a center Sutter has proven himself to be.

This Jordon Staal discussion may be nothing more than wishful thinking if Dejan Kovancevic is right.

PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE

That's why the Penguins would love to — and I believe will — keep Staal in Pittsburgh with a long-term contract before he has a chance to leave in two summers. This is a team built up the middle, from Fleury to not one, not two, but three No. 1 centers.

Think about that: Three No. 1s.

This Jordon Staal discussion may be nothing more than wishful thinking if Dejan Kovancevic is right.

PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE

In a salary cap world one would think that there is a price to pay for paying big time for your third line center, but maybe not.

My main thought would be Staal himself. Look, I'm all for "the team is first", and "knowing your role" and "not being a prima donna", but J Staal was the #2 overall pick and he's playing on the third line. If he signs again in Pittsburgh he will always be a third liner if he stays at center.

It has to affect his production and the overall production for his career if he stays a career third liner. He has a cup already. If I were him, I'd want off the third line.

Now maybe they try him at wing, but if I'm him and I want to remain a center, I'm looking for another winning team that needs a first or second line center.

Edited by remkin

Well the only way I could see us getting a top winger, a center, and shutdown d man is luck. I could see JR getting Suter or Oduya and Carle as backups in free agency. The best bet for the other two would be trades.

Available options:

Mcbain

Pitkanen

Boychuk

Daple?

A couple of picks

Maybe a 1st rounder if we do a trade with buffalo and get 2 1st rounders

Screw Oduya...it needs to be Suter or bust. Oduya didn't do anything for Winnipeg, and is nothing but a flash in the pan for Chicago. We'd be wasting time and money on him.

I remember when Oduya was in Jersey and everytime we played them I said to myself I wish we had that guy. He may just need the right system and location to bring his career back to life.

Edited by legend-1

Screw Oduya...it needs to be Suter or bust. Oduya didn't do anything for Winnipeg, and is nothing but a flash in the pan for Chicago. We'd be wasting time and money on him.

Classy comment. :)

Edited by coastal_caniac

I remember when Oduya was in Jersey and everytime we played them I said to myself I wish we had that guy. He may just need the right system and location to bring his career back to life.

Same here. Of course, I felt that way about Ian White, too... :couch:

Oduya would be an interesting target assuming the new guy replaces Allen. I assume Suter/Weber are not available. Considering they are probably going with Gleason/Faulk as first pair, Allen's replacement may already be in place but I'd prefer to see a new face in the top 4. Hard to say what they are thinking though.

I wish we would have kept White he had a ridiculous year in Detroit. We got a second for him but I feel like we got an iou with Joslin for that deal. Id still rather have White.

A few people lately have mentioned him on their bust lists and I remember him being very solid here so not sure what I missed on him.

Edited by legend-1

Nice video Coastal. Those are definitely two guys we've been rumored to be interested in.

Here is an interesting cautionary article about guys shooting up the draft board based on a few tournament games.

My link

Here's the summary quote:

It’s insane. Yes, tournaments matter. But when a scouting service has been following a guy all year, bumping him up from the ‘might be in the first round’ level to the ‘might be a top-5 guy’ on the basis of half a dozen games is just plain nutty. Teravainen has played 76 games this year at various levels; only six of them came at the under-18’s. He also played 76 games last year at various levels, and he was undoubtedly on the radar then. It’s bizarre that the guy with 150-odd showings the last two years can climb 29 spots in the consensus rankings based on half a dozen games.

It seems like a great way for a scouting service – or worse, an NHL team – to shoot themselves in the foot.

At this point I'd go Faksa in a heartbeat. Those clips of Teraveinen are mostly him shooting the puck in the net. OK good shot is important, but that last move on the Faksa clip is great.

But mainly Faksa has tracked high all year, and he's 6'2". Teraveinen is a small kid. Could be another Whitney, but could be another Boychuk also.

But that's just me.

Edited by remkin

March 30th, Yahoo Sports:

Add Radek Faksa to the lengthy list of potential high NHL draft picks to go down with an injury. The Czech centre had been having a good start to the playoffs with the Kitchener Rangers, but Thursday the team confirmed the worst in the wake of Faksa being drilled into the boards the previous night in Owen Sound and leaving the game.

From Josh Brown:

Faksa took a shoulder to his chin during the second period of Game 4 of the OHL's Western Conference quarter-final Wednesday night in Owen Sound.

"It's devastating," said Spott. "He's not doing well. It's a huge loss for our hockey club. This is a guy who was trying to be a top 10 pick in the NHL draft."

Brandon Francisco will take Faksa's spot in the lineup for Game 5 in Kitchener [on Friday].

"I've said it before, one player's loss is another player's opportunity," said Spott.

Nice video Coastal. Those are definitely two guys we've been rumored to be interested in.

Here is an interesting cautionary article about guys shooting up the draft board based on a few tournament games.

My link

Here's the summary quote:

It’s insane. Yes, tournaments matter. But when a scouting service has been following a guy all year, bumping him up from the ‘might be in the first round’ level to the ‘might be a top-5 guy’ on the basis of half a dozen games is just plain nutty. Teravainen has played 76 games this year at various levels; only six of them came at the under-18’s. He also played 76 games last year at various levels, and he was undoubtedly on the radar then. It’s bizarre that the guy with 150-odd showings the last two years can climb 29 spots in the consensus rankings based on half a dozen games.

It seems like a great way for a scouting service – or worse, an NHL team – to shoot themselves in the foot.

At this point I'd go Faksa in a heartbeat. Those clips of Teraveinen are mostly him shooting the puck in the net. OK good shot is important, but that last move on the Faksa clip is great.

But mainly Faksa has tracked high all year, and he's 6'2". Teraveinen is a small kid. Could be another Whitney, but could be another Boychuk also.

But that's just me.

Just putting some video up and pointing out two offensive guys we may look at. Not suggesting we take one or the other. :) Great article you found though, thanks for posting that, it makes some great points.

March 30th, Yahoo Sports:

Add Radek Faksa to the lengthy list of potential high NHL draft picks to go down with an injury. The Czech centre had been having a good start to the playoffs with the Kitchener Rangers, but Thursday the team confirmed the worst in the wake of Faksa being drilled into the boards the previous night in Owen Sound and leaving the game.

From Josh Brown:

Faksa took a shoulder to his chin during the second period of Game 4 of the OHL's Western Conference quarter-final Wednesday night in Owen Sound.

"It's devastating," said Spott. "He's not doing well. It's a huge loss for our hockey club. This is a guy who was trying to be a top 10 pick in the NHL draft."

Brandon Francisco will take Faksa's spot in the lineup for Game 5 in Kitchener [on Friday].

"I've said it before, one player's loss is another player's opportunity," said Spott.

Whaler, that stuff is dated. Faksa is fine and has been back in the lineup for the London Knights series.

Rangers Report

Edited by coastal_caniac

@jhiitela: Hurricanes Jiri Tlusty 2 years / 3.2 total (1.5 + 1.7)

Let the offseason fun begin! Tlusty gets a much needed raise after a career year! Good job Jiri!

Whaler, that stuff is dated. Faksa is fine and has been back in the lineup for the London Knights series.

Rangers Report

Yes, but after getting his bell rung pretty good and was considered out intefinitely at first, the Rangers also lost a character player to a 10 game suspension and were down 1-2 in the Whalers series before Faksa returned after missing only three games. He has been back for seven games and has zero points and is -5 in four of them. That kinda opens the question if he is back in the lineup because he is fine, or is he fine because he is back in the lineup?

Yes, but after getting his bell rung pretty good and was considered out intefinitely at first, the Rangers also lost a character player to a 10 game suspension and were down 1-2 in the Whalers series before Faksa returned after missing only three games. He has been back for seven games and has zero points and is -5 in four of them. That kinda opens the question if he is back in the lineup because he is fine, or is he fine because he is back in the lineup?

Are you saying his draft stock is dropping because he got hurt or what? :huh: The draft is in June.

Edited by coastal_caniac

So we finally get Beau Schmitz signed, what a surprise. Another Plymouth Whaler. But to be fair, he did just about everything asked of him for the Whalers. Small, but he moves the puck pretty well and doesn't shy from contact.

Let the offseason fun begin! Tlusty gets a much needed raise after a career year! Good job Jiri!

Yes Tlusty is the one non-Skinner really bright spot prospect turned legit guy up front. Really, to me we have 5 of our top 6, and plenty of good options for the third line. We just need that one guy to turbo charge the top line. One guy. Add one move on defense and we should be set.

Tlusty was a good signing. He earned the contract and the chance to stay in the top 6. I have been one of the critics of Tlusty over the past couple of seasons but was pleasantly surprised at his play on Staal's line this season. The 2 year contract should give him plenty of incentive to make the case for himself that he belongs as a top 6. If he falters the contract length isn't long enough to hurt us.

Are you saying his draft stock is dropping because he got hurt or what? :huh: The draft is in June.

Just wanted to point out that he suffered a concussion during the play-offs and that his coaches were pretty worried about him. After the Rangers fell behind in the second round and another team mate got a lengthy suspension he makes a miraculous recovery and is back in the lineup after missing just three games. For a great defensive forward who went from a PPG+ during the regular season and early part of the play-offs until he got hurt, to drop to zero points in four games and a -5, makes me wonder if the troubled Rangers decided to bring him back too soon and they are probably not doing him any big favors.

As far as his draft stock is concerned, I don't know if his current performance will have an impact on his ranking or not. NHL Central Scouting has him ranked fourth over-all so either way he might be outside of JR's reach.

Just wanted to point out that he suffered a concussion during the play-offs and that his coaches were pretty worried about him. After the Rangers fell behind in the second round and another team mate got a lengthy suspension he makes a miraculous recovery and is back in the lineup after missing just three games. For a great defensive forward who went from a PPG+ during the regular season and early part of the play-offs until he got hurt, to drop to zero points in four games and a -5, makes me wonder if the troubled Rangers decided to bring him back too soon and they are probably not doing him any big favors.

As far as his draft stock is concerned, I don't know if his current performance will have an impact on his ranking or not. NHL Central Scouting has him ranked fourth over-all so either way he might be outside of JR's reach.

Well, this clears up my confusion, and it's a good point on the concussion and if the Rangers may have rushed him back, particularly based on the declining stats.

Just to clarify, the NHL Central Scouting rankings have him as the 4th ranked North American forward. Filip Forsberg and Teravainen are 1 and 2, respectively, on their European skater rankings.

Based on that, Faksa is still right in our wheelhouse with the 8th pick overall, considering forward prospects only, particularly as some teams ahead of us will likely be choosing one of the top-rated defenseman.

Edited by coastal_caniac