The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
jeromeo87

2012 Off Season Discussion

Bowman just got another one. How's 8 games in a row with a goal? Who is this, Gretsky?

Faulk and Boychuk continuing the production also.

EA Sports NHL 13 Simulation Week 5

Canes go 1-2-1 and drop to 3rd in the East with a 9-5-1 record. We are still leading the division, but the Caps have gotten a bit hot after their slow start and now only trail us by 2 points. On the plus side, Semin produced 3 goals and 4 assists in those 4 games, which was enough to earn him 2nd star honors for the week. Eric rockets back up the goals leaderboard (i'm thinking with help from Semin) to earn a tie for 3rd with 9 goals on the season. Ward is still tied for 2nd in wins and holds a 9-4-1 record with a 2.43 GAA.

I went back and added the results of all games so far along with a list of Canes goals scored.

Nov. 5 - FLA vs. CAR

FLA 4

CAR 3 OT

Goals: Semin 2(6), J.Staal (3)

Nov. 8 - PHI vs. CAR

PHI 3

CAR 2

Goals: E.Staal 2(7)

Nov. 10 - CAR vs. PHI

CAR 3

PHI 2 SO

Goals: E.Staal (8), J.Staal (4)

SO Goals: Skinner

Nov. 11 - CGY vs. CAR

CGY 5

CAR 4

Goals: Semin (7), J.Staal (5), E.Staal (9), Stewart (1)

Edited by RNT82

Per Chip-- Jussi Jokinen signs a 6-game deal with Karpat, will leave for Finland soon.

Per Chip-- Jussi Jokinen signs a 6-game deal with Karpat, will leave for Finland soon.

Gotta get in a few tune up games before the season starts! grin.gif

Gotta get in a few tune up games before the season starts! grin.gif

Are six games and a flight half way around the world (and back) worth it?

Maybe he is trying to simulate the Canes early west coast road trip.

Haha, missing that stretch is the one silver lining to this mess.

Here's hoping for some Dec. 1 NHL Hockey...sounds like there is a real push to get a deal brokered. In hopes of starting actual hockey stuff, here's my question; with the young guys like Bowman playing so well, what do we do with players like Nodl, Stewart, etc. I think it is a very real possibility to see Bowman on the 2nd or 3rd line to begin the season. Also, look at Tlusty's stats for the year...

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=89369

and his team is no joke...

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=89369

Here's my offensive depth chart:

E. Staal - C

J. Staal - C

Skinner - W

Semin - W

Jokinen - W

Ruutu - W

Tlusty - W

LaRose - W

Bowman - W

Dwyer - W

Brent - C

--------------------------------------

Nodl - W

Stewart - W

I think everyone above the dashed line is in the lineup opening night, barring injury. Below that line, it's who takes it, including the guys in Charlotte. I think Welsh is a work in progress, given how his game is having to adjust to life in the AHL. So, we might need a third line center.

Too bad we can't have a real camp to sort some of this out, but any camp would be good right now.

x

Is Jussi ok? Haven't seen him in the Karpat lineup in weeks.

Edit: Guess that answers my question

After a quick eight-game jaunt in Finland, Jussi Jokinen is back practicing with his Carolina Hurricanes teammates, according to Canes Now’s Chip Alexander.

I think Welsh is a work in progress, given how his game is having to adjust to life in the AHL. So, we might need a third line center.

Which is exactly why I've never bought the idea that J. Staal was going to center the 1st line with E. Staal on the wing. I think JR was penciling in Welsh for the 3rd line. If he doesn't make the cut, then he may be trying to make some kind of move for a center.

I think the PP is where we see the Staals together.

Agree with Coast and SD.

SD: Agree that the Staal's together only makes sense on a team flush with centers. We are a team flush with wingers. There is no line up with our current players that makes sense and has the Staals together. I'll go one step further, while I'm sure that they will try them together on the PP, I'm not sure that makes sense either as they are similar style players. Even if we had somehow kept Sutter, it would make more sense to keep JStaal on second line center for a whole list of reasons. But with Sutter gone, there is just no way we don't keep the Staal's down the middle, no way, write it down.

Coastal: To me the most intriguing question left (I don't think the Staals together is even a question), is who the heck is our third line center? After the "Riley Nash is a steal and will come right out of college and center the third line and be a passing genius" talk, I never bought the Welsh hype. The guy could be really good, but his numbers so far in the AHL hardly argue to push him up.

Personally I don't think Jussi should be the guy, but unless (here's an outside the box shot) Dalpe is tapped. There is a decent chance that Jussi gets that role to start. The thing is we just might have 7-8 top 6 forwards all the sudden. While the traditional role of the third line center is defense first, we could role one heck of a scoring third line:

LaRose Jussi Bowman. I honestly believe that line could put up close to 20 goals each.

Don't get me wrong I vastly prefer Jussi making plays in the top 6. But if Tlusty is for real, we honestly have 7 top 6 forwards:

Staal, Staal, Semin, Skinner, Jussi, Ruutu, Tlusty.

So in order to keep the top name guys at least in the top 9, and given the unholy run Bowman is on, either Ruutu or Jussi might just end up centering line 3.

Edited by remkin

With a delayed season opening I was wondering who our #2 goal keeper would be. When is Bouchet returning and if there is a partial season would Cam play a much higher % of starts?

Coastal: To me the most intriguing question left (I don't think the Staals together is even a question), is who the heck is our third line center? After the "Riley Nash is a steal and will come right out of college and center the third line and be a passing genius" talk, I never bought the Welsh hype. The guy could be really good, but his numbers so far in the AHL hardly argue to push him up.

Personally I don't think Jussi should be the guy, but unless (here's an outside the box shot) Dalpe is tapped. There is a decent chance that Jussi gets that role to start. The thing is we just might have 7-8 top 6 forwards all the sudden. While the traditional role of the third line center is defense first, we could role one heck of a scoring third line:

LaRose Jussi Bowman. I honestly believe that line could put up close to 20 goals each.

Don't get me wrong I vastly prefer Jussi making plays in the top 6. But if Tlusty is for real, we honestly have 7 top 6 forwards:

Staal, Staal, Semin, Skinner, Jussi, Ruutu, Tlusty.

So in order to keep the top name guys at .least in the top 9, and given the unholy run Bowman is on, either Ruutu or Jussi might just end up centering line 3.

Agreed, biggest question mark going into a season, when it starts.

Just reminds that most 19 year olds are not Jeff Skinner. Not a bad thing for his development at all, really pretty normal given his young age, but also points out the eliteness of a Skinner or Faulk.

Rask Sent Down

This is what the Checkers broadcaster Jason Shaya had to say about it.

The Canes made the decision to send Victor Rask back to the WHL this week. I was surprised, but in Calgary he will get more ice time and will play a much more critical role with the team. He is only 19 years old and has only played one year of junior hockey. He is one of the best prospects the Canes have and after watching him play pro hockey for a month, I am sure they are very excited about the future.

He also had some other interesting points:

I’ve been watching Zach Boychuk play for three seasons and I can’t remember if he’s ever played better than right now. I can say the same thing for Riley Nash. He was a threat all weekend against Peoria and worked really well with Boychuk.

<br style="font-family: Verdana, Arial; font-size: 11px; line-height: 16px; text-align: left; ">

I know, I know...he's a great AHL player etc. But there are guys who just take longer to find their game. I'm not saying he's the future, but you just never know. The guy is on a 57 goal, 88 point pace. Yes, AHL, but it's not juniors.

This weekend, I was talking to a scout I’ve known for years and he said one guy he thinks will be an NHL player is Rasmus Rissanen. He thinks Rissanen is starting to really find his game.

Gotta admit this guy's not been on my radar. Sixth round pick in 2009. But he's big and apparently physical. Could be the kind of guy we need if he has NHL chops.

Still wondering about 3rd line center. Not watching games not sure how Welsh is looking, Nash got a mention by Shaya. Dalpe has the most assists of the possible heirs and the best plus minus and twice as many points as Welsh.

Gotta look at something besides lockout quotes.

Edited by remkin

EA Sports NHL 13 Simulation Week 6

We are in a bit of a simulated funk right now. Canes go 0-1-2 on the week, lose the division lead to the Caps, and drop to 5th in the East. These past two weeks we have gone 1-3-3. Eric is still tied for 3rd in goals (10), but Ward drops to a tie for 7th in wins, still at 9 having not won since Nov. 10th at Philly.

Nov. 13 - CAR vs. TB

CAR 1

TB 4

Goals: E.Staal (10)

Nov. 15 - CAR vs. PHX

CAR 3

PHX 4 OT

Goals: Skinner (4), Tlusty (1), LaRose (3)

Nov. 17 - CAR vs. DAL

CAR 2

DAL 3 OT

Goals: Skinner 2(6)

Edited by RNT82

He also had some other interesting points:

I’ve been watching Zach Boychuk play for three seasons and I can’t remember if he’s ever played better than right now. I can say the same thing for Riley Nash. He was a threat all weekend against Peoria and worked really well with Boychuk.

I was very interested in how Boychuk would do. I read how he had trained hard in the off season and was in really good shape. It seems to have helped his AHL game but it was he effort in training camp and how it might translate to an NHL game that I was hoping to see. I haven't given up on Boychuk yet but the clock is running.

It would be nice to see Nash break out too at the NHL level.

The Bleacher Report listed the top 51 NHL prospects.

We have two.

One, Ryan Murphy not really unexpected.

I was a bit surprised by the other. Could this be our third line center?

Who is it?

Funny, he was thought of as a Calder contender at the start of last season but he was quickly exiled to Charlotte under Paul Maurice's watch. There are plenty that think this kid has a ton of potential so I sure hope he gets the chance to show what he has soon.

Funny, he was thought of as a Calder contender at the start of last season but he was quickly exiled to Charlotte under Paul Maurice's watch. There are plenty that think this kid has a ton of potential so I sure hope he gets the chance to show what he has soon.

He stayed that way under Muller too. There were opportunities to bring him or Boychuck up and Muller made some comment about no one else really being worthy of coming up (it wasn't quite that direct, but something like that).

I've mused posts several times asking what is going on with Dalpe who was slotted at the WonderBoy before the start of the season. But no one seems to know.

We have (again) an obvious, gaping hole at third line center. The heir apparent is Welsh, but we had this same situation a couple of years ago and Nash was going to be the guy, and of course Dalpe.

We have a glut of wingers from great to very promising. Too many really...hmmm....trade?

The obvious candidates for third line center:

Welsh: 3g 2a 13 games

Nash: 2g 5a 12 games

Dalpe: 3g 7a 12 games

Dalpe has a slight edge over Nash, but it's going to come down to how they are playing at both ends. Their plus minuses are similar and as we know that's a very blunt tool. So it's going to come down to what they are looking like, and who's giving it all and back checking.

Wonder if anyone from Charlotte is out there?

He stayed that way under Muller too. There were opportunities to bring him or Boychuck up and Muller made some comment about no one else really being worthy of coming up (it wasn't quite that direct, but something like that).

I remember the quote the same way you do and I thought it was very direct. We needed a forward, and he said we had none ready to be called up. Ouch, expecially when you have several with NHL experience down there.

Whats interesting to me is we always thought that Mo was hindering Boychuk's development refusing to play him after he screwed up. Muller took one glance at Boychuk and essentially sent him home.

Edited by legend-1

Wonder if anyone from Charlotte is out there?

Anyone remember the two guys from Albany who did such a great job keeping us up-to-date on anything related to the River Rats? Those guys were on top of it.

We need that from Chalotte.

Oh, and Boychuk...meh.