The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
jeromeo87

2012 Off Season Discussion

EA Sports NHL 13 Week 7

Canes go 2-2-0 to remain 5th in the East with an 11-8-3 record. We're still 2 points behind the Caps for the division lead. Skinner posts a line of 4 goals and 5 assists to become the first star of the week! This offensive outburst has put him in a tie for 5th in points (24) and a tie for 7th in goals (10). Eric remains 3rd in goals (13), and Ward moves up to a tie for 6th in wins (11).

Nov. 19 - TOR vs. CAR

TOR 5

CAR 6 OT

Goals: Jokinen (3), E.Staal 2(12), Bowman (1), Skinner (7), Semin (8)

Nov. 21 - TB vs. CAR

TB 5

CAR 3

Goals: Jokinen (4), LaRose (4), Skinner (8)

Nov. 23 - CAR vs. PIT

CAR 5

PIT 4 SO

Goals: Semin (9), Skinner 2 (9), E.Staal (13)

SO Goals: E.Staal, Skinner

Nov. 25 - WPG vs. CAR

WPG 3

CAR 2

Goals: J.Staal (6), LaRose (5)

Edited by RNT82

Do you guys remember how excited we were after the trade for J. Staal and the moves the team made this summer? That seems like a 100 years ago right about now.

Canoe.ca

After 13 seasons in the National Hockey League (NHL), defenseman Jaroslav Spacek has decided to retire.

The native Rokycany, Czech Republic, has decided to hang up his skates for family reasons and because of back problems.

In 880 NHL games with the Florida Panthers, Chicago Blackhawks, Columbus Blue Jackets, Edmonton Oilers, Buffalo Sabres, the Canadiens and Hurricanes, Spacek has collected 82 goals and 273 aids a total of 355 points.

The native Rokycany, Czech Republic, has decided to hang up his skates for family reasons and because of back problems.

does this mean we call up someone from the Checkers; or, do we go shoping for a new d-man?

does this mean we call up someone from the Checkers; or, do we go shoping for a new d-man?

Spacek wasn't coming back to us anyway. I just liked his play last year and there sure isn't much else to talk about.

Spacek wasn't coming back to us anyway. I just liked his play last year and there sure isn't much else to talk about.

juat forgot he was an UFA

NBC Sports - (Mike Halford ) Semin: "I still need to improve my physical condition"

“Without a doubt, I still need to improve my physical condition,” Semin said, despite scoring two goals and seven points in eight games for Torpedo Nizhny Novgorod. “I could have scored more points.

Semin could become the winger we never had. I guess if the season is lost his 1 year contract would be lost too. There were 3 players I was really interested to see in this years training camp. Boychuk to see if his hard work this off season might translate into a last chance for him, Tlusty to see if he could hold a top 6 spot and Semin to see if he could silence his critics.

Water under the bridge. Now I just want to see hockey again.

EA Sports NHL 13 Simulation - Week 8

Week 8?!? Yes, we've been at this for almost 2 whole months!

Anyway, Canes go 2-2-0 for the second straight week to post a record of 13-10-3. We're still 5th in the East and still remain 2 points back of the Caps in the division. Skinner drops down to a tie for 7th in points (27) and remains tied for 7th in goals (12). He has also now appeared in the leaderboard for plus-minus, sitting tied for 4th (+12) with a huge group of players. Another interesting thing to note is that Skinner has only 4 penalty minutes for the year so far, so maybe fake Skinner has matured from last year when he returned from his concussion injury and began getting lots of penalties. (Thank you NHL Lockout for making me finally lose my sanity and provide in-depth analysis for fake players.) Having scored no goals this week, Eric drops to a tie for 4th in goals (13). Ward falls to a tie for 7th in wins (12) and has a 12-9-3 record with a 2.81 GAA (save % has yet to be shown).

Nov. 27 - CAR vs OTT

CAR 1

OTT 3

Goals: J.Staal (7)

Nov. 29 - CAR vs BOS

CAR 5

BOS 0

Goals: Sanguinetti (1), Skinner 2 (12), Semin 2 (11)

Dec. 1 - CAR vs WSH

CAR 1

WSH 4

Goals: J.Staal (8)

Sad Note - Ovechkin gets a hat trick

Dec. 2nd - NJ vs. CAR

NJ 0

CAR 3

Goals: Semin (12), Jokinen (5), LaRose (6)

Edited by RNT82

So, if the NHL cancels the entire season, I would suppose that we would draft in the same order?

Yes, an odd thought, but possilbly we could still sign Semin and get a top draft pick from maybe a deeper year?

Just trying to find some ray of slight light in a dark time.

So, if the NHL cancels the entire season, I would suppose that we would draft in the same order?

Yes, an odd thought, but possilbly we could still sign Semin and get a top draft pick from maybe a deeper year?

Just trying to find some ray of slight light in a dark time.

All teams names go in the hat and drawn one through the last if there is no season. Possible that The Kings could get the number 1 pick.

Semin could become the winger we never had. I guess if the season is lost his 1 year contract would be lost too. There were 3 players I was really interested to see in this years training camp. Boychuk to see if his hard work this off season might translate into a last chance for him, Tlusty to see if he could hold a top 6 spot and Semin to see if he could silence his critics.

Water under the bridge. Now I just want to see hockey again.

As I understand, if there is no season, Semin will be a free agent at midnight on 30 June 2013.

As I understand, if there is no season, Semin will be a free agent at midnight on 30 June 2013.

I think your right. Since the contract was a 1 year for the 2012/13 season I think he becomes a FA at the end of June with or without a season.

All teams names go in the hat and drawn one through the last if there is no season. Possible that The Kings could get the number 1 pick.

Oh. Well, we could get lucky.

On the plus side, I would think Semin would give us another shot.

I would hope that he gave us another shot. He liked what he saw the first time he signed, and not a lot has changed.

The random draft order is not good. You could get lucky, but the house has the odds.

Remkin, I could be wrong but I don't think what cheapseats described is even close to how the draft will transpire if this season is lost. The following description is from an article on NHL.com on how the 2005 draft order was determined following the last lockout.

"The Draft Drawing, a weighted lottery system, was used to determine the order of selection for all seven rounds of the Entry Draft. Under the weighted lottery system, the clubs that neither qualified for the Stanley Cup Playoffs in each of the 2001-02, 2002-03 and 2003-04 seasons, nor were awarded the first overall selection in each of the 2001, 2002, 2003 and 2004 Entry Drafts, had the greatest chance of receiving the first overall selection, 6.3 per cent."

Full NHL.com article here

Based on the last lockout, it should look something like this:

7 teams with a 6% chance at first overall

Dallas

Calgary

Winnipeg

Toronto

Minnesota

Columbus

Carolina

6 teams with a 4% chance at first overall

Florida

Tampa Bay

St. Louis

Colorado

Anaheim

New York Islanders

17 teams with a 2% chance at first overall

Edmonton

Washington

Philadelphia

New York Rangers

Boston

New Jersey

Ottawa

Buffalo

Vancouver

Phoenix

Nashville

Detroit

Chicago

San Jose

Los Angeles

Montreal

Pittsburgh

So, in a lottery scenario, the teams with a 6% chance will have 3 lottery balls, those with 4% chance will have 2 balls, and the remaining teams will have only 1 ball in the lottery drawing with a 2% chance at the first overall pick.

For the second round, picks are in inverse order from the first round, third round same as first, etc.

I would suspect something similar to be used this time around, so there could be some ray of sunshine. B)

Edited by coastal_caniac

This was retweeted by Chip:

Dmitry Chesnokov@dchesnokov Observation: #Canes Alexander Semin was a healthy scratch for #KHL's Torpedo the last two games.

The article that you can put in one of those awful translate programs. HERE

From what I can gather Semin has not been in shape, isn't scoring and doesn't fit well with the team. It was mentioned that he wasn't able to get in shape when he was sick.

EA Sports NHL 13 Simulation - Week 9

Canes go 2-0-1 on the week to post a 15-10-4 record. We are still 5th in the east, but sit only 1 point behind the division and East leading Caps (but we have played more games). Skinner moves up to 6th in points (29) and a tie for 4th in goals (14), but has moved off of the plus-minus leaderboard. While not shown on the screenshot, Eric is tied for 6th in goals (13), but scores no goals for the 2nd straight week. Ward moves up to 6th in wins (14) and has a 14-9-4 record.

Dec. 4th - CAR vs. PIT

CAR 4

PIT 3 SO

Goals: Ruutu (4), Skinner (12), Gleason (1)

Shootout Goals: Semin, Skinner

Dec. 6th - CAR vs. TOR

CAR 4

TOR 3 OT

Goals: Skinner (14), Ruutu (5), Semin (13), Gragnani (1)

Dec. 8th - CAR vs. WPG

CAR 1

WPG 2

Goals: Stewart (2)

Edited by RNT82

If we can figure out our third line center, we'll have one of the best top 9 in the game. Go Juri.

I wonder if Skinner might decide to go ahead and get a few games in at this point in Charlotte.

Edited by remkin

I was a Tlusty doubter. I had a hard time seeing the potential but I think under Muller last season he gained the confidence he needed to bring his game to the next level. I am happy to see he is having success in Europe and looking forward to see him skate on NHL ice again.

EA Sports NHL 13 Simulation - Week 10

I think I'm losing a little bit of my soul with each of these posts. Thank you Bettman. Thank you Fehr. GET IT DONE!

Anyway, on to our fake Canes who go 2-1-0 on the week to overtake the Caps and regain the division lead with a 17-11-4 record. We are tied for 1st in the East with the Habs and the Isles, but due to tiebreakers we sit in 3rd. Skinner is tied for 7th in points (32) and 4th in plus-minus (+13). We have 3 Canes tied for 4th in the league in goals (Semin, Skinner, and E.Staal all at 15). Ward is tied for 5th in wins (16).

Dec. 10 - CAR vs. MTL

CAR 6

MTL 0

Goals: Semin 2 (15), J.Staal (9), Stewart (3), E.Staal (14), Jokinen (6)

Notes: 4 point nights for Semin (2G, 2A) and E.Staal (1G, 3A)

Dec. 13 - COL vs. CAR

COL 2

CAR 5

Goals: Bowman (2), Jokinen (7), E.Staal (15), Nodl (1), Skinner (15)

Dec. 15 - CAR vs. PHI

CAR 1

PHI 3

Goals: J.Staal (10)

Edited by RNT82

Jiri Tlusty update - 0.95 ppg. 21 GP, 10G 10A +10 plus\minus

I have noticed that Tlusty hasn't been on the Kladno game roster/box scores for the past eight games or so. Does anybody know what's up with him?