The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
jeromeo87

2012 Off Season Discussion

Just to clarify, the NHL Central Scouting rankings have him as the 4th ranked North American forward. Filip Forsberg and Teravainen are 1 and 2, respectively, on their European skater rankings.

Based on that, Faksa is still right in our wheelhouse with the 8th pick overall, considering forward prospects only, particularly as some teams ahead of us will likely be choosing one of the top-rated defenseman.

I stand corrected. I just glanced over the report all I remembered was 4th. I guess now we just have to wait and see who JR zeros in on and if he'll stand by his 'new' draft philosophy from last year -- to go out and just pick the best player available, regardless of what his position is and what the Canes' immediate needs are.

After the Tlusty signing I can't help but wonder what McBain is going to want. If he wants too much do you give Ryan Murphy a shot?

I guess now we just have to wait and see who JR zeros in on and if he'll stand by his 'new' draft philosophy from last year -- to go out and just pick the best player available, regardless of what his position is and what the Canes' immediate needs are.

That's the thing Whaler. The best player available could in fact be a defenseman. I'm also curious to see how that plays out.

That's the thing Whaler. The best player available could in fact be a defenseman. I'm also curious to see how that plays out.

Thats actually very likely. GM's far prefer to take forwards at the top and there are more highly ranked defensemen that forwards this year.

Of course it begs the question just how sure are we who is the best available player. No question JR thought Boychuk was the best available player, and the central scouting and mock drafts did not think Skinner was the best available player.

I would lean strongly to taking forward if it was even close, but if there is a clearly top notch defenseman and no elite forwards, I do think we'd be fine with more dmen. As they develope and even play in the NHL we can keep the best and trade the rest. Nothing wrong with a great defense (as I know you agree:D).

Our needs are forwards but I think the draft in the first round should always be whats the best available. We can draft a defensemen and pop em in the oven (it's almost dinnertime). Then turn him around for a forward when it's time or have a defensemen become available and move him for the forward we need.

More Jordon Staal talk. Spector's Hockey

Elliotte Friedman - Hotstove, if the Penguins do decide to move him, it would be smarter to do it this summer, rather than during next season.

David Staples - Edmonton Journal, suggests it would be a good idea for the Oilers to offer up the first overall pick to Pittsburgh for center Jordan Staal if he becomes available in the trade market.

If J. Staal is available I really hope JR makes a play for him.

Id hate to see Jordan in Edmonton. I would only want us to make a serious play for Jordan if we new we were getting a first line winger and shut down dman in free agency or trade and without giving up too much.

For Jordan I would like for us to trade our pick with buffalo or Tampa to get 2 picks. Then trade to highest pick with boychuk or another prospect. Might take Rask.

Move Pitkanen and possibly a third or 4th for winger or shut dman depending on what we don't get in FA

I think JR will get Parise as he wanted him so badly in the draft.

Move pits plus for D. Brown

Sign Carle

And in all best scenarios get Jordan as well

Bob McKenzie‏ - PIT can't get full market value in trade for J Staal if he's one and done in the new locale. So Staal ultimately ends up wherever he wants.

Bob McKenzie‏ - I wouldn't be surprised if all three Staal brothers eventually want to play on same team. Eric, BTW, has four more years on his CAR deal.

Bob McKenzie‏ - Which is to suggest Eric not going anywhere. Just a guess, but if Jordan isn't a Penguin -- not suggesting he's not -- a Cane seems logical.

Bob McKenzie‏ - Bottom line is in 1 yr, it's entirely his call. That power/influence dramatically impacts potential move this summer.

Bob McKenzie‏ - PIT can't get full market value in trade for J Staal if he's one and done in the new locale. So Staal ultimately ends up wherever he wants.

Bob McKenzie‏ - I wouldn't be surprised if all three Staal brothers eventually want to play on same team. Eric, BTW, has four more years on his CAR deal.

Bob McKenzie‏ - Which is to suggest Eric not going anywhere. Just a guess, but if Jordan isn't a Penguin -- not suggesting he's not -- a Cane seems logical.

Bob McKenzie‏ - Bottom line is in 1 yr, it's entirely his call. That power/influence dramatically impacts potential move this summer.

And you guys all scoffed at me when I first suggested this a few pages back :nonono:

Just kidding...when I originally posted the twitter link from the Pens beat writer, I thought it was just wishful thinking too. Maybe not...

Well the farther the Devils go in the playoffs, the less likely I think we are to be able to sign him. I think he'll re-sign with the Devils if they advance against the Flyers. I feel the same about the Suter speculation. Nashville makes it another round and I think he clearly moves off the market (he may never have truly been on the market anyway).

Luke DeCock ‏ @LukeDeCock

The problem with using the so-called "Parise money" on Jordan Staal is he's a Selke-caliber two-way center, not the winger Eric needs.

Adding Jordan Staal solves a problem the Canes don't have (Brandon Sutter is growing into that role) while failing to solve a bigger one.

If the Hurricanes are set on a Staal reunion, Jordan would be a huge addition -- but it shouldn't preclude getting a winger for Eric.

The flipside, of course, is that if you're a small-market team and you have a chance at a player like Jordan Staal at his age, you take it.

The problem with using the so-called "Parise money" on Jordan Staal is he's a Selke-caliber two-way center, not the winger Eric needs.

Adding Jordan Staal solves a problem the Canes don't have (Brandon Sutter is growing into that role) while failing to solve a bigger one.

If the Hurricanes are set on a Staal reunion, Jordan would be a huge addition -- but it shouldn't preclude getting a winger for Eric.

The flipside, of course, is that if you're a small-market team and you have a chance at a player like Jordan Staal at his age, you take it.

Words worth bolding.

To me its similar to passing on the #1 draft pick (RW) because you don't happen to need a RW at the time and would rather have a defenseman. When given the opportunity, you take the best player available and a big strong center with Jordan's age and skills doesn't come available too often, especially not to a small market like ours.

I agree with the part about if J Staal is available you can't pass him up. My belief is that Sutter has the talent to step into a top line winger position. Of course then you need to find a third line center.

And one could just as easily bold this statement and make an equally, if not stronger argument, at least IMO. It all depends on what one is willing to give up to get him, which was my original point when I "scoffed" at the idea. ;)

Jordan Staal is quite a beast in the making. I remember hearing rumors his draft year that the Canes might try to dangle Crosby's friend Jack Johnson in an attempt to move up and snatch Jordan. Interesting how McKenzie states that the Staal bros would like to all play on the same team. That'd be one helluva team with 3 brothers trying to outdo each other.

What would be ironic? If we somehow got J. Staal and towards the end of his current contract Brandon Sutter expressed interest in moving elsewhere to have a chance to get off the checking line because he's buried behind Eric and Jordan.

Think about that a minute.....

My position was and is this. J. Staal is a very talented player and would be an outstanding second line center. He was on pace for over 30 goals this year if he had played a full season. He would be an excellent addition and if we got him without giving up any key offensive pieces I'd be thrilled. BUT....

While we do need a pure center for the second line, it is not as burning a need as our need for a legitimate first line. Unless our plan is to put the Staals together and one of them goes to wing, this still leaves that problem of not having a legitimate playoff contending top line. And J Staal has never been much of a playmaker. Perhaps it is his third line role and third line mates, I haven't watched him enough to know, but he does not put up many assists. Not sure we are quite looking at the Sedins here.

If we get JStaal, it is very hard to imagine picking up that first liner, so then who bumps up? I already have penciled in a marginal first liner in Tlusty (don't get me wrong, I like Tlusty with Staal and another big time guy, but Tlusty/Staal/Jussi? Tlusty/Staal/Ruutu?) If Jussi is on his A game he can be a legit first liner, but not last year. Ruutu is a decent complementary piece on the first line, but not enough. We need the big piece. The guy who makes plays. The guy who draws attention from Staal, and makes you pay if you leave him.

OK, I wouldn't go so far as to say we don't have a need at second line center. I feel bad that Sutter is not getting that shot, but not too bad. I want a cup challenging team, and Sutter anchoring that third line makes us really good. However, if we bring in J.Staal then Sutter might well wonder what the heck? At some point we might need to trade him. Sutter is a massive bargain right now.

At the end of the day if there were some way to get JStaal and pick up a winger for the first line...we'd be awesome instantly. But there is the question of what we'd have to give up, and how much salary we can handle in terms of filling both positions. After watching JR for a while now, it is hard enough to actually believe he would get one guy of this caliber. I simply can't see getting two. If I had to pick between a top producing winger to play with E.Staal, or getting J.Staal, in the end I want the winger. But you knew that.

I will say this. JR found Stillman, Whitney and JWilliams. All first line caliber wingers. All on the team at the same time as EStaal and RBrind'Amour and M. Cullen and E.Cole. His attempts to repeat those pickups have been far more misses than hits since 06, but if he could get J Staal and find an undervalued first line winger that really does come in and find it, that could work.

Edited by remkin

Hi Guys, Long time since last post, altho I faithfully read every day. If i recall from some years back, Eric was rumoured to have stated at one time that he did not want to play with Jordan! Am i recalling this incorrectly, and if true, would this influence this particular trade?

What would be ironic? If we somehow got J. Staal and towards the end of his current contract Brandon Sutter expressed interest in moving elsewhere to have a chance to get off the checking line because he's buried behind Eric and Jordan.

Think about that a minute.....

I see what you're saying, but I don't really see this happening..at least not for a long while. Where J.Staal is a good two-way forward, he's also a scorer. He can and wants to put up points. Sutter isn't really that, IMO. Even in juniors, he never really put up big time numbers. IMO, Sutter is strictly a two-way forward - and a great one at that.

IMO, a hockey team HAS to be strong down the middle. Look at Pittsburgh for many years: extremely strong down the middle with (for the most part) mediocre wingers. IF JR can grab Jordan, he needs to do it, even if it means holding off getting a top line winger for another year.

I would be happy with JR getting Jordan and signing Whitney for a year and have him as our "top line winger".

Whitney Staal Jokinen

Skinner J.Staal Ruutu

Tlusty/Bowman Sutter LaRose

Nodl Brent Dwyer/Stewart

Sorry, but I'm more than happy with that line up.

Hi Guys, Long time since last post, altho I faithfully read every day. If i recall from some years back, Eric was rumoured to have stated at one time that he did not want to play with Jordan! Am i recalling this incorrectly, and if true, would this influence this particular trade?

I remember this and have wanted to say that but because I couldn't remember when, why or where it was said I wasn't going to dare throw that out there. I just knew it's been said.

What I don't remember was whether he was joking or serious plus at that time he may have never given it a ton of thought. If Eric thought he could make the team better I doubt he'd be against it. But if they both have the same leadership qualities then they could battle each other in the locker room to constantly try to one up each other.

I see what you're saying, but I don't really see this happening..at least not for a long while. Where J.Staal is a good two-way forward, he's also a scorer. He can and wants to put up points. Sutter isn't really that, IMO. Even in juniors, he never really put up big time numbers. IMO, Sutter is strictly a two-way forward - and a great one at that.

IMO, a hockey team HAS to be strong down the middle. Look at Pittsburgh for many years: extremely strong down the middle with (for the most part) mediocre wingers. IF JR can grab Jordan, he needs to do it, even if it means holding off getting a top line winger for another year.

I would be happy with JR getting Jordan and signing Whitney for a year and have him as our "top line winger".

Whitney Staal Jokinen

Skinner J.Staal Ruutu

Tlusty/Bowman Sutter LaRose

Nodl Brent Dwyer/Stewart

Sorry, but I'm more than happy with that line up.

As am I.

Whitney? Hey, I have to admit the guy seems ageless. I was one who, after watching Mr Fitness Brindy tail off, was not up for testing father time with Whitney and I was wr..woo..r...r...o...rrrr..www....rr...on....rrr. not right. But the man will be in his 40's. At the risk of being.....not right again..I still say NO.

Again, I like Jokinen or Tlusty or Ruutu as the third piece on the top line...but lets find a first line winger that can be a true first line threat for a few years.

I loved Whitney here, but can the man really defy time at a first line level over and over? Does reality not have to kick in at some point? Maybe he is a first liner into his 50's, but having that as our plan reminds me of our plan to replace Cole. We need a real first line and we need to stop selling ourselves short there*.

*not a shot at Whitney's height.

Edited by remkin