The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
jeromeo87

2012 Off Season Discussion

Take cover the winds of change appear to be about to blow in Carolina.

Chip Alexander - CANES NOW

"What we're working on now is whatever it takes to get a top player, whether it's a center or a wing," Rutherford said.

Rutherford said there will be some reorganization to the coaching staff.

Sanguinetti, who had a very productive season for the Charlotte Checkers (AHL), has "made a strong case to be with the Hurricanes next year," Rutherford said.

Good read..kudos to Chip

Take cover the winds of change appear to be about to blow in Carolina.

Chip Alexander - CANES NOW

"What we're working on now is whatever it takes to get a top player, whether it's a center or a wing," Rutherford said.

Rutherford said there will be some reorganization to the coaching staff.

Sanguinetti, who had a very productive season for the Charlotte Checkers (AHL), has "made a strong case to be with the Hurricanes next year," Rutherford said.

Good read..kudos to Chip

This makes me giddy. ohyeah.gif.

I wonder if the coaching reorganization involves Mr. Daniels.

This makes me giddy. ohyeah.gif.

I wonder if the coaching reorganization involves Mr. Daniels.

Chips article didn't mention anything about Daniels. Looks like Brindy will join MacLean and Lewis as full time assistants. Brasso out as an assistant. Could still be goalie coach and/or scout.

My new slogan: Number 8 overall for Jordan Staal!

Do it JR!

Throw in another pick / player or prospect if you have too, but get r done!

I'm with you. The trade to get J.Staal should involve our 1st rd pick. However, we WILL have to add to it. I see Pittsburgh wanting some good, young and inexpensive wingers. Would you guys be willing to give up our 1st, Dalpe, and Bowman? Because, that's what it will take - if not more - to get him out of Pittsburgh. Pittsburgh may want wingers with more experience. Willing to give up our 1st, Jokinen, and Dalpe?

My point is Pittsburgh is not going to give him away. It's going to take quite a package.

Between Michael Smith and Chip Alexanders stories we got a lot to ponder and speculate over today.

Rutherford also said working on signing McBain and when talking about getting a forward or center said Eric Staal can skate wing, said he has done it before. I guess all options are open.

After reading Chip's article today, I figure we're going after J. Staal just as much as we are going after Parise. It's no secret JR dislikes Free Agency, especially when it comes to big names that attract bidding wars. With the J. Staal situation, he'd lose the established first liner but gain an established top 6 forward without as much effort as it would take to land Parise. Plus, the whole Parise talk is more speculative than the J. Staal talk. Jordan is not staying in Pittsburgh, I'll tell you that right now. And even if the 'Canes don't acquire him (doubt that), he's stated now he wants to be in Carolina. That said, whether he plays out his contract in Pitt or moves to a different team for a rental move, there's high chance he'll sign with the organization next off-season. Based on Rutherford's sudden change of direction and the words he chose in that interview, I'd say he's trying to let us know that they are seriously considering Jordan Staal. However, it does scare me that it could mean no top line winger for Staal, I'm open to one of the Staal's on the wing. I hope Jared continues developing and finally breaks through, because you can't tell me you don't expect some serious chemistry between brothers who played in their backyard throughout their childhood. I'm itching to see this happen, and even if it costs that first line winger. We would have 3/4 Staal brothers, and don't we want that shut down dman? Wouldn't you think if all three of his brothers were there, Marc would be enticed to join our organization as well? If we land Jordan, this makes it more possible. Not really probable, but definitely possible. We all know the Rags aren't going to willingly depart with Marc, but you never know what the future will bring for either organization...

As far as Parise goes, he'll be hearing from any team that can afford him, not to mention the further the Devils go in the playoffs, the more likely it seems he'll sacrifice ice time and potential $ to stick with his draft team and have higher chances of winning. I feel with Kovalchuk that NJ has two first line left wingers, and they probably should have moved Parise this season. But that all rides on the Devils success in the post-season this year. If they make the ECF or further, I feel like Parise would be a lost cause. And even if they don't, and Parise does test the market, it'll still be hard to land him.

Looking at our depth charts, we're pretty full. This makes me feel like the organization is looking to move a few guys. Even if you have a full lineup that looks solid, I wouldn't mind JR trading a familiar bottom 9 or young d-man (package deal, anyone?) to land a better dman or rugged winger that can put points up while keeping cheap shots at bay, and opening up another roster spot for our guys in Charlotte who really are about fed up with waiting and will most likely sign elsewhere (There is about 11 players heading towards Free Agency this off-season in the minors).

I say this with the utmost respect but the Penguins are not going to trade Jordan Staal for Joni Pitkanen. The Penguins have one or two guys who will be ready to make the defensive roster next year, thus creating a log jam at D. Additonally, the last thing the Pens needs in another "offensive minded" defensemen.

I couldn't believe your media guy insinuated that on a Pittsburgh radio show this am. That would have been like Philly trading Mike Richards for Tomas Kaberle.

What does your minor league team look like? I know you guys spent quite a few years collecting top picks but its been quite a few years since then because your team always does fairly well in the post season. I would think a #8 overall pick would look very enticing and he wouldn't be due a big payday anytime soon.

Mike Richards for Tomas Kaberle??? I'd have taken that deal in a heart beat :lol: Who was the media guy on your radio show?

for Jordan I would think Boychuk, Samson with a conditional 2014 1st rounder. if he is re-signed they get a first, if not a 2nd.

I just dont see us grabbing Marc as their d isnt one with big names. depending on what stralman and del zotto command the rangers could handle a pitkanen cap wise.

I was just suggesting it. I'd love to see the whole Staal family in Carolina. We'd go from bubble team to contender IMO. Even if we just acquire Jordan and a top 6 guy I feel our chances to find consistent regular season success improves significantly.

If we don't acquire Staal, I'm all for pursuing Suter and Parise, but both may resign with their teams. Suter will probably be the tougher one to land.

Speaking of families in hockey, what do you guys think in signing Olli Jokinen (Jussi's brother)? He'll be a UFA this year.

I was just suggesting it. I'd love to see the whole Staal family in Carolina. We'd go from bubble team to contender IMO. Even if we just acquire Jordan and a top 6 guy I feel our chances to find consistent regular season success improves significantly.

If we don't acquire Staal, I'm all for pursuing Suter and Parise, but both may resign with their teams. Suter will probably be the tougher one to land.

Speaking of families in hockey, what do you guys think in signing Olli Jokinen (Jussi's brother)? He'll be a UFA this year.

Jussi and Olli are not related. Even so, Olli is not any better than what the team already has.

Some of you seem to have swallowed the whole hook line and sinker. Fishing is easy around here right now.

Gotta do something (while other teams compete for the cup). beach.gif

Some of you seem to have swallowed the whole hook line and sinker. Fishing is easy around here right now.

JR must love yanking on the sinker, watching everyone respond to the moving bobber float dip under the waves above.

I don't really see JR yanking on the sinker. It doesn't mean that everything he said or implied will come to pass but he just gave us a snapshot into his thinking and sent a couple of messages.

We will look for a forward or center, Eric can play wing, our #1 pick could be in play. If that isn't a message to J Staal and the Pens we are willing to talk I don't know what is. Who knows if it will happen but JR clearly is looking at it.

Brindy's in Barraso out (sort of) Can't get much clearer then that.

We are working on McBains contract now. JR didn't say he would sign him but clearly indicates he wants to.

Welsh could be in the top 9. Ok clearly a negotiating message. Sign with us kid and you could be a star. Will see.

We have to make a decision on our backup goalie. Peters played well and have to look at that.

Allen and Spacek probable headed for FA. Ok maybe or maybe not.

Some Checks will probable go elsewhere. Da!

I'm in hook,line and sinker

We have to make a decision on our backup goalie. Peters played well and have to look at that.

I was thinking about this one. I know traditional wisdom seems to be to go with a veteran back up. I know that Boucher had a long injury to deal with. But....

Peters: 2w 3L 2OT .931 sv % 2.48 GAA

Bouch: 1w 6L 1OT .881 sv% 3.41 GAA

and...drum roll....

Wardo: 30-23-13 .915 sve% 2.74 GAA

All things considered Peters put up better numbers than...Ward...and blew away Boucher.

The key for a young back up is getting some fairly regular playing time. The key for playoff teams is NOT to ride your starter into the ground. The numbers Peters put up suggest that he is not a huge dropoff from Ward and can get more starts than we have traditionally given to back ups.

If anyone thinking of trading with us is looking for an historically solid back up goalie......done.

Edited by remkin

One of Rutherford's comments in CanesNow we haven't touched on is JR mentioning we might be looking for a third or fourth line forward.

Rutherford has made clear his intentions to pursue a top-tier forward. But he also said the team has plans to possibly search for a gritty, fourth- or third-line forward.

JR said it wouldn't just be a fighter type but someone with hockey skills too.

The one thing that keeps coming through is that we are going to look very different next season if the plans come to fruition.

Then again when making plans you always need to heed the words of Robert Burns

The best-laid schemes o' mice an' men

Gang aft agley

JR definitely hooked me with his interview. Think his comments that E. Staal could play wing opened his options for a 1st line center or wing. The obvious chatter is Jordan Staal now but maybe there could be other top line centers that teams are willing to trade or that could be FA's in July. I'd still rather see Eric as a center with a Parise-type on his wing.

JR made some comments to get everybody thinking, ie: new top forward, Tlusty, Dwyer, Welch, Sanguinetti. and a rugged 3rd or 4th line forward that has skill too. It is getting very crowded for forward spots, especially when you figure Staal, Skinner, Ruutu, and Sutter are given roster spots. And with Sangs, Dumo, and Murphy, the Blue Line could be even more crowded ... do I dare say plus a Suter-caliber addition too.

Glad to see JR put the #1 pick in play for the right top guy "trade" (not UFA)... are you listening Penguins! JR didn't mention any Checkers, other than Sangs, like he has the past couple of years. Think he must be pretty disappointed or frustrated in that whole operation.

When can teams start initiating trades? Is it draft day or earlier?

When can teams start initiating trades? Is it draft day or earlier?

Teams can trade now but historically they don't because I'd imagine they don't want to steal any thunder from the playoffs.

Wow, decided to read up on that and apparently its more of a playoff eligibility deadline then a trade deadline. Teams could deal right after the deadline but none of the players would be eligible for the playoffs making it pointless to make a deal.

Or at least that's the idea I've gotten from reading 3-4 forums.

I would be very surprised if JR were to sign a Parise type UFA as the money required would be huge.I could see him making a trade at the draft perhaps to acquire first line talent. Jordon Staal's name keeps croping up and you never know what might happen.I also like young Luke Adam in Buffalo and would swap Boychuk for him in a heartbeat. I believe Doan and Pyatt in Phoenix are UFA's. Maybe Allen will be signed and then included in a trade. There are alot of options on the table so the off season should be quite interesting.

I just don't see JR putting all of his pucks in the free agent basket if he has a chance to make a trade for a top caliber talent using the 1st round pick plus whatever. If there's a chance JR can make a play for a guy like J. Staal, then he'll try to make it happen and then still be able to make a play for a UFA.

I don't have any idea that it would happen, but Staal, Staal, Sutter is pretty darn strong up the middle to build around. JR could move...say...Jussi and Joni to have enough money to make a play for Parise or Suter.

Just fishin' a little.

At some point though, you have to wonder if picking up a solid 2nd line center will put Brandon Sutter in the same position that Jordan Staal is in now. I think Sutter has too much talent to be stuck in a 3rd line checking role his whole career, even though he is extremely good at it, he still has natural scoring ability and speed.

Well Ge I think we would add a third line center and Jordan would play with his brother. 2 good 3rd liners that are UFAs this season are Danial Paille and Gregory Campbell of Boston.

Campbell is 28 and put up 16 points this season. Put up 29 the year before. Can play rw or c. 107 hits and 53 blocked shots

Paille is 28 and put up 15 points this season, 13 last. Plays LW. 59 hits and 24 blocked shots.

Can you please clarify what you mean? Are you referring to the Jordan Staal chatter or the statements by JR, or both? Thanks.

Edited by Manwolf