The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
jeromeo87

2012 Off Season Discussion

If Galchenyuk has been out all season with a knee injury, that should make it much more possible that he'd be passed on in the draft by other teams. I'm sorry for his injury, but Carolina could really benefit from that... provided he has a full recovery. You know JR: "Give me your tired, your weak your injured..."

Here's a nice profile on the NCAA's top defensive prospects. The Canes have 3 prospects in the NCAA now, Dumoulin, Biega, and Alt, all 3 of which rank in the top-10.

NCAA Top-10 Defenseman

Considering the prospects now in Charlotte (Kivisto, Bellemore, Rissanen, Jordan, Kreuger, and Sanguinetti), Levi (Plymouth Whalers), and our NCAA prospects (Dumo, Biega, and Alt), the Canes defensive cupboard is stocked. The Canes are going to have some big decisions coming up this summer to clear space in Charlotte.

I would really like to see Sanguinetti up here for a run of games, and to me, was the biggest reason to move Spacek, even though I like Spacek's veteran leadership (much more than his play).

As usual, I still think we have some work to do on defense, but for the first time in a long, long time we've got options on the blue line (I love saying that).

I expect the Canes will really be pushing to get Dumo signed once his junior year is over.

Edited by coastal_caniac

NCAA Top-10 Defenseman

As usual, I still think we have some work to do on defense, but for the first time in a long, long time we've got options on the blue line (I love saying that).

I expect the Canes will really be pushing to get Dumo signed once his junior year is over.

Nice.

#3, #6, #10. That should bode well for the future. This sounded good:

One area where Dumoulin has continued to make great strides is on the defensive side. He has vastly improved the use of his 6'4, 225 pound frame in clearing bodies from the front of net and moving players off the puck.

We could use more of that. I would think that he would be best suited to sign with Charlotte at least, rather than finishing college. Now Beiga looking at a Harvard degree....might want to finish that degree.

Edited by remkin

I am very interested to hear more about Dumoulin. If the guy is ready we could save some serious money back there and get.....yes, a first line winger! Tell me more about Dumoulin, does he need an AHL year first?

The only thing I know for sure is that Faulk is amazing. I cannot believe that kid is 4 years younger than McBain. I can only imagine Faulk with 4 more years under his belt.

The team wanted Dumoulin to jump ship last year and join the Checkers but he opted for another season at BC. He is big, strong and actually has a significant amount of offensive upside as well. He plays the point on BC's power play and is one of, if not, the best defenseman in college hockey. If he comes to play in Charlotte after the college season, he will have every chance to make the big club next year.

Here are some links...

http://www.bceagles.com/sports/m-hockey/mtt/dumoulin_brian00.html

http://www.uscho.com/stats/player/mid,17203/brian-dumoulin/

http://www.nesn.com/2010/04/bcs-brian-dumoulin-proving-to-be-much-more-of-a-plus-than-a-minus.html

Bottom line, the kid is a very legit prospect who may be with this team for a long time. Left handed shot too, he could be on one side of the PP and Faulk on the other.

Good stuff Law Dog and Coastal. I had heard the name but never really much else.

Does make signing Allen an interesting dilemma. On the one hand, we need a guy like that and he's played well and wants to be here, on the other hand one would think he wants a multi-year deal with a NTC, and with Murphy, Domoulin, Biega, Alt, to go with McBain, Faulk, Gleason, Harrison, Pitkanen....can you really give Allen 3 million, multiple years and a NTC? We almost definitely need him next year, but after that?

I think the big splash might be crossfing.gif a first line winger, but in a way the more interesting and no less important thing will be what JR does with the defense.

Why on earth, with a goalie as good as Cam, is this team #26 on the PK and basically last in shots allowed?

Harrison is such a good value, I can't see him moving. Gleason just re-signed.

Our number one problem is shots and goals against, Allen is solid at that, but how much will it cost us?

On the other hand, if we let Allen walk and rely on McBain, Pitkanen, Murphy?, how do we lower the shots/goals against? Even if Dumo is all that, it is unlikely he is going to be an instant NHL shutdown monster next year.

Just kind of thinking out loud here, but I just don't know how a team that is basically dead last in shots allowed keeps McBain if there is any good trade out there.

You bring up a great point on signing Allen long term. I've avoided bringing that up considering how high most are on Allen right now. IMO, with our depth at the blue line, locking up vet players to multiple years could plug the pipeline.

You bring up a great point on signing Allen long term. I've avoided bringing that up considering how high most are on Allen right now. IMO, with our depth at the blue line, locking up vet players to multiple years could plug the pipeline.

You definitely have a point. But Allen is our number one shot blocker; we would struggle without him. With Harrison having just one year left after this year, I think he's the one that walks to create a hole for Dumoulin/Murphy. Harrison is a good player - he hasn't done anything wrong. It's just a matter of having young guys who are ready. And, of course, I'm under the belief that one of Pitkanen or McBain will be traded.

If Allen wants a NTC he's going to have to walk. I would rather be overstocked with something to trade next year for a playoff push then understocked and find out someone we thought was ready isn't even close for example, Dalpe.

We can't hand out NTC's like girl scout cookies.

You definitely have a point. But Allen is our number one shot blocker; we would struggle without him.

Limiting shots by playing tighter defense would accomplish more,IMO, and mitigate the need for retaining a guy like Allen who you would suggest keeping because he blocks a lot of shots.

BTW, I like Allen, but shots allowed has been an issue for several seasons.

Limiting shots by playing tighter defense would accomplish more,IMO, and mitigate the need for retaining a guy like Allen who you would suggest keeping because he blocks a lot of shots.

BTW, I like Allen, but shots allowed has been an issue for several seasons.

I get what you're saying.. but 1- we're talking about one of top pairing dmen. I don't think we should be so nonchalant with whether or not he should come back because we have prospects who may or may not be ready. And 2- He IS our number one shot blocker. Limiting shots by playing tighter defense WOULD accomplish more, but who's to say that's going to happen? I feel as if you may be downgrading the importance of a shot blocker.

If Allen wants a NTC he's going to have to walk. I would rather be overstocked with something to trade next year for a playoff push then understocked and find out someone we thought was ready isn't even close for example, Dalpe.

We can't hand out NTC's like girl scout cookies.

I was just speculating that since he has one, he'll want one. But I agree, signing Allen only makes sense if we can trade him at some point.

This is a very interesting thread, however I think it is a bit ridiculous that on the first day of March, with over a month left of the season, the first thing I see on the message board is about the off-season. I think 5 months with this thread pinned at the top of list will be too much. Why are we making it 6? I don't expect it to be moved or anything, it's just sad. Carry on.

^^ agreed. Same person same thing last year, at least this year it's somewhat more relevant since we're not in the playoff hunt like we were then.

Edited by JLP

The only problem I have with losing a guy like Allen would be losing the veteran presence/leadership on the back end. I think that counts just as much as his ability to block shots. Could go a long way in helping those younger prospects along. At the same time though there needs to be slots opening up for these prospects. It's a slippery slope indeed. I just don't want Faulk to have set a precedent with the thinking that the youngens might be ready to go.

This is a very interesting thread, however I think it is a bit ridiculous that on the first day of March, with over a month left of the season, the first thing I see on the message board is about the off-season. I think 5 months with this thread pinned at the top of list will be too much. Why are we making it 6? I don't expect it to be moved or anything, it's just sad. Carry on.

^^ agreed. Same person same thing last year, at least this year it's somewhat more relevant since we're not in the playoff hunt like we were then.

Well, I do apologize if I hurt anyone's feelings. It wasn't my intention in starting the thread to minimize the importance of making the playoffs (last year) or to make the end of the season this year any less relevant. It's not like discussions for the last 19 games can't remain in the between games thread, right?

If you read through the last few pages of the trade deadlin thread, it was getting obvious to a few of us that there wasn't really an existing thread to talk about things that COULD happen in the off season. So, there were suggestions in starting a thread that might better fit those topics.

However, and with that being said, maybe we should change the name of the thread to something other than the Off Season Thread until it's really the Off Season, if that will be more PC to some.

Edited by coastal_caniac

Although I'm not ready to let go of the season just yet I think this is a valid discussion. This is the last full month of the season and although we are still playing to win you can bet management is evaluating players right now and having the same sort of discussions you will find here.

We know JR has already stated we need a top 6 forward and maybe at least one more piece. We have 3 Chex playing (trying out) for spots and 3 veterans coming back from injury and young roster player out. Joslin is getting a look at forward and Allen and Spacek remain unsigned.

This seems to be a perfect thread to talk about those kind of things.

no feelings were hurt in the creation of this thread. It's just another glaring example of how we are going to have a long off-season and that we'll have to pull for someone else to win the cup.

Here are some possible name changes to consider.

How can we fix this mess thread

Hold this thread while the playoffs walk away

The Big Picture

and my personal favorite

MacroCaniacenomics

we could also change the in between game thread to

MicroCaniacenomics

Ok I am done hijacking this thread. Proceed.

Sorry for the interruption, and back to our regularly scheduled programming.

I get what you're saying.. but 1- we're talking about one of top pairing dmen. I don't think we should be so nonchalant with whether or not he should come back because we have prospects who may or may not be ready. And 2- He IS our number one shot blocker. Limiting shots by playing tighter defense WOULD accomplish more, but who's to say that's going to happen? I feel as if you may be downgrading the importance of a shot blocker.

Let's avoid an Allen debate, cause we both like the guy and what he brings to the team, including shot blocking. I think the point here that a few have brought up is the fact how much is "shot blocking" worth when you look at the pipeline and compare that to what he might want in a new contract. Agreed?

The only problem I have with losing a guy like Allen would be losing the veteran presence/leadership on the back end. I think that counts just as much as his ability to block shots. Could go a long way in helping those younger prospects along. At the same time though there needs to be slots opening up for these prospects. It's a slippery slope indeed. I just don't want Faulk to have set a precedent with the thinking that the youngens might be ready to go.

I couldn't agree more. Heck, as I mentioned earlier, there's not even any room in Charotte for some of these defensive prospects that are now in college and juniors. So, space has to open up there first. I'm excited about Dumo, but he doesn't even have a contract.

Isn't JR the guy that keeps telling us Murphy will be in the lineup?

I couldn't agree more. Heck, as I mentioned earlier, there's not even any room in Charotte for some of these defensive prospects that are now in college and juniors. So, space has to open up there first. I'm excited about Dumo, but he doesn't even have a contract.

Isn't JR the guy that keeps telling us Murphy will be in the lineup?

I agree too. Although these young D-men are getting accolades in their current enviornments, the Canes have to see how they can do at the speed of the NHL! Think we've had promising D-men before but were not real successful at the NHL level. JR and Muller have a big evaluation challenge with the impending log jam.

So.......yea....we've been discussing the offseason now for 2 months at least with it in it's own topic you can choose to wait another month to visit it. Rather then every single imaginable topic. Personally I'm in offseason mode, we need to win out at this point and that's about as likely as Dr. Suess coming back to life.

Kinda surprised to hear all this Dumo talk, no one's discussed him all year. I forgot he existed being the superb fan I am :)

Edited by legend-1

BC has a history of steady d-men so we'll see about Dumo (much easier to spell than his real name). I have a feeling that JR, Ron Francis, PK Jr, Jeff Daniels, Glenn Wesley, and Muller are going to be doing a bit of evaluating during the Chex playoffs. Those that don't make the "cut" could be used on draft day as trade bait to make room for the Dumos Biegas and Levis.

Going out on a limb, I do think if Dumo signs, he'll have just as much of a chance to make the October roster as Murphy.

For what it's worth, I do believe I agree.

Going out on a limb, I do think if Dumo signs, he'll have just as much of a chance to make the October roster as Murphy.

Probably depends on what happens in the offseason. Is a McBain or Pitkanen moved? Is Allen signed? A trade to bring another guy.

If we don't move McBain or Pitkanen I would agree. If we do, it might signal that Murphy is in the plan for next year.

We have too many bodies. We need shut down guys. The thing is, guys with crazy offensive skill seem to be able to bring it quicker than guys trying to learn the shut down role at this level. Plus guys like Murphy razzle and dazzle and get more attention.

When can Murphy play with the checkers full time?