The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
jeromeo87

2012 Off Season Discussion

Disagree with your first statement but agree with your second. Jordan Staal is a force onto himself, not just because his last name is Staal. Although, I do wish they could be as good as the Sedins. But I do think a top winger should be JR's priority and Jordan would be incremental to that star.

Well after doing some research on J Staal it does look like he has put up some inpressive numbers and there would be good chemistry...what ever makes us a contender...With the CBA up in the air I am curious how much player movement we will have

A lot of Pittsburgh people, including Josh Yohe (beat writer for the Pens) have said it's going to take something around Sutter and our 1st round pick to get J.Staal. Thoughts?

If we gave up Sutter we should have our collective head(s) examined. Its probable going to take our first and somebody but not Sutter. J. Staal will be a free agent at the end of next season and if he really does want to come here and If the Pens don't want to deal now we wait.

A lot of Pittsburgh people, including Josh Yohe (beat writer for the Pens) have said it's going to take something around Sutter and our 1st round pick to get J.Staal. Thoughts?

Not Sutter. THREE WAY!!! We trade Joni to someone for a decent forward then package that with our pick. Something like that.

The idea of Sutter stuck on the third line may be an issue, but he'd be just as stuck on Pittsburgh's third line. Sutter is too valuable in his role. This is a team who's number one problem is goals against and Sutter is one of the only things standing between us and Armageddon on that issue. And with what we are paying him? All for one year of J Staal? Pass.

EDIT: OBX got in there while I was typing. Great minds think alike! thumbsup.gif

Edited by remkin

If we gave up Sutter we should have our collective head(s) examined. Its probable going to take our first and somebody but not Sutter. J. Staal will be a free agent at the end of next season and if he really does want to come here and If the Pens don't want to deal now we wait.

I totally agree with you. It makes no sense trading Sutter for J. Staal...unless Brandon has made some comments to management about wanting a different/bigger role like Staal supposedly has to the Pens. If the Pens want to play hardball, we should just wait for him to become a UFA ... if he really does want to be a Cane.

If JR does go after him this year, it should only be if we can get him with some guarantee of completing a contract extension not just for one year.

I just dont see giving up a top 10 for Jordan. I think a conditional 1st rounder is the way to go in 2014. If we sign him they get that 1st rounder if not they get a second. To get Nash our 1st would be included plus some but e is signed long term already

Good. I'm glad I'm not alone with this. Trading Sutter for Staal is really kinda unnecessary. If that's who they want, we should just wait for when J.Staal becomes a free agent.

The idea of a three way trade makes a lot of sense. Joni for a forward Pittsburgh wants with our 1st.. Makes sense.

The whole J. Staal discussion is based on something said by a Pittsburgh radio personality about him wanting to play in Carolina. Mackenzie then tweets that a move to Carolina makes sense. Anybody have something different?

So all this discussion really depends on whether the radio guy is correct. If so, JR is in a strong position. He trades now, but modestly, or waits another year. If not, fuggetaboutit and look at Parise or Nash. Only way for him to find out is to ask, and predicate the deal on extending J. Staal's contract which requires talking to him with permission from Shero.

I wouldn't trade anything of high value, especially Sutter. I also don't think Joni will be dealt since he took a discount to stay. That would be bad faith and the end of all future discounts for JR.

I'm not seeing Nash because his salary goes up every year . If it was a Campbell type deal and the cap hit was higher than salary then it could work.

I'm starting to doubt Parise will be available now with the Devils making it to the conference finals. He'll either re-sign with the Devils or he'll command a ridiculous contract and go to the highest bidder (likely not going to be us).

The Jordan Staal price is out of whack. Just think back to what we have been able to get when between the free-agency rock and the "I'm outta here" hard place.

Significantly less than we thought the players were worth. (Often, we get NOTHING) That is because there is NO LEVERAGE by the team about to lose the player. It is desperation, trying to get anything before losing the guy.

The price being set out there is from the wishful Pittsburgh writer/fans. It is less, and will continue to degrade as next season goes by.

the always trustowrthy Eklund didnt include Carolina on the big hitters for Suter because "they will be aggressive but Suter isnt option A."

I agree with Hag, their the ones who need to make cap room and their the ones with the problem. Or at least I'm being led to believe this a cap issue.

Last time we let a team have a salary cap firesale the Thrashers became Chicago south for almost nothing.

I'd be willing to move that first rounder because we could easily draft a good kid but its unlikely he'll play this year and maybe the next while we're ready to compete now. Do I think Jordan is worth a first? I think a winger is worth the first more then a guy who fixes a problem we don't have. I also don't think Jordan has much leverage without a NTC to tell the Pens where to trade him.

I agree with Hag, their the ones who need to make cap room and their the ones with the problem. Or at least I'm being led to believe this a cap issue.

Last time we let a team have a salary cap firesale the Thrashers became Chicago south for almost nothing.

I'd be willing to move that first rounder because we could easily draft a good kid but its unlikely he'll play this year and maybe the next while we're ready to compete now. Do I think Jordan is worth a first? I think a winger is worth the first more then a guy who fixes a problem we don't have. I also don't think Jordan has much leverage without a NTC to tell the Pens where to trade him.

I don't believe Jordan is worth a 1st round pick either and it wouldn't help us move any roster players. But I do think he has some destination leverage even without a NTC/NMC. If he "really" wants to play for the Canes, who would trade to rent him for just 1 year and then he becomes a UFA headed here. The Pens would probably get the best trade deal here ... Pens need a puck-moving d-men and maybe a forward and a prospect.

Edited by Bill_B

I don't believe Jordan is worth a 1st round pick either and it wouldn't help us move any roster players. But I do think he has some destination leverage even without a NTC/NMC. If he "really" wants to play for the Canes, who would trade to rent him for just 1 year and then he becomes a UFA headed here. The Pens would probably get the best trade deal here ... Pens need a puck-moving d-men and maybe a forward and a prospect.

Pens don't need offensive Dmen. They have a few. They need defensemen that can actually defend.

Pens do not need a puck-moving dman. Pens fans have been saying they need a defensive dman and a winger to play with Crosby. Of course, some have been saying that if they trade J.Staal they are going to need a 3rd line center.

I'm not sure why some people here are saying J.Staal isn't worth a 1st rounder.. IMO, he's worth that and more (considering, of course, he signs an extension).

Pens do not need a puck-moving dman. Pens fans have been saying they need a defensive dman and a winger to play with Crosby. Of course, some have been saying that if they trade J.Staal they are going to need a 3rd line center.

I'm not sure why some people here are saying J.Staal isn't worth a 1st rounder.. IMO, he's worth that and more (considering, of course, he signs an extension).

You guys are right about the type of d-men the Pens need. My mistake; I got the PA teams confused ... Flyers need the puck-movers.

As for Jordan's worth, I think in a "typical" marketplace he would/could command a 1st round draft pick. But I'm assuming there is truth to the rumors that he wants to play here if not in Pittsburgh and he becomes a UFA next year. So IMO if the Pens want to trade him before he becomes a UFA and he "really" wants to come to the Canes, other teams would be hesitant about using their 1st round pick for a poential 1-year rental. If that's the case, I think the Canes would hold back on using their 1st rounder too. If it turns out my assumptions are not universally correct and there are team floating their 1st round pick for Jordan, I think we should ante ours up too. He is a very good asset.

Heck maybe the Pens sign Crosby and Staal and trade Malkin next year.

I think 29 teams have the Pens by the hoo has and not the other way around. Their the team with all the cap issues just like Chicago and you don't get even close to full value when your against the cap wall.

If they want a young defensive defensemen thats ready to make the NHL jump maybe they would be interested in Bobby Sanguinetti.

I think 29 teams have the Pens by the hoo has and not the other way around. Their the team with all the cap issues just like Chicago and you don't get even close to full value when your against the cap wall.

If they want a young defensive defensemen thats ready to make the NHL jump maybe they would be interested in Bobby Sanguinetti.

Sanguinetti is an offensive dman.. I'm sure they would be interested in Dumoulin, but I think that would be a peice JR would hesitate dealing.. Dumoulin could be good.. real good.

Sanguinetti is an offensive dman.. I'm sure they would be interested in Dumoulin, but I think that would be a peice JR would hesitate dealing.. Dumoulin could be good.. real good.

Whew had no idea the boy had 50 points in the AHL this year. I saw a 6-3 d-man who really didn't do much up here and thought he had to be defensive.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=jmhCBiMbWkc

Thought you guys might like this..

The beginning part of the video is McPhee talking to Shero (Pittsburgh GM). Shero is telling McPhee about how Carolina is trying to trade Jack Johnson for the 2nd overall pick (I'm gussing to draft Staal..)

Just thought it was interesting - and it does tell us that JR has had a lot of interest in J.Staal. But who doesn't?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=jmhCBiMbWkc

Thought you guys might like this..

The beginning part of the video is McPhee talking to Shero (Pittsburgh GM). Shero is telling McPhee about how Carolina is trying to trade Jack Johnson for the 2nd overall pick (I'm gussing to draft Staal..)

Just thought it was interesting - and it does tell us that JR has had a lot of interest in J.Staal. But who doesn't?

Oh my God, if that happened...

Anyways this is a little something to chew:

THE TENNESSEAN/NASHVILLE EXAMINER: Nashville Predators pending UFA defenseman Ryan Suter acknowledged he’d spoken briefly with Predators GM David Poile on Wednesday, but he wants to take a couple of weeks to unwind before starting negotiations with the club. Suter, 27, said wherever he signs, he’d want to stay there for the rest of his career, citing in part family reasons.

I think we could make a point about how great the location is to bring up families/settling down in. And let some players tell Suter the pros.

Oh my God, if that happened...

Anyways this is a little something to chew:

THE TENNESSEAN/NASHVILLE EXAMINER: Nashville Predators pending UFA defenseman Ryan Suter acknowledged he’d spoken briefly with Predators GM David Poile on Wednesday, but he wants to take a couple of weeks to unwind before starting negotiations with the club. Suter, 27, said wherever he signs, he’d want to stay there for the rest of his career, citing in part family reasons.

I think we could make a point about how great the location is to bring up families/settling down in. And let some players tell Suter the pros.

I would just like to add that this should not be belittled. If being in a good area for the rest of his career, mainly for his family, really is a big deal for Suter, I honestly do think Carolina is on his radar. Raleigh isn't really a secret in the NHL, anymore. Players know it's a great area. Very interesting..

I would just like to add that this should not be belittled. If being in a good area for the rest of his career, mainly for his family, really is a big deal for Suter, I honestly do think Carolina is on his radar. Raleigh isn't really a secret in the NHL, anymore. Players know it's a great area. Very interesting..

Your right it shouldn't be ignored but he is also telling Nashville and everyone else he wants a long term contract with some sort of no movement clause.

Your right it shouldn't be ignored but he is also telling Nashville and everyone else he wants a long term contract with some sort of no movement clause.

..and that he is open to signing with other teams if he doesn't get that. Suter's one of those players that are basically worth anything they ask for. I could see him fetching a lot of $$$ in the open market, possibly too much for PK and JR.

I just don't see us landing Parise or Suter. The limited big name free agents will make their price too high for the Canes. I would love to trade for J. Staal though not for Sutter. Better to wait for him to be a FA. Maybe something more realistic is trading for a Van Riemsdyk and signing Whitney back to be the set up man. Not sure if this is as big a move as everyone wants. Just depends on what we're willing to give up in order to get a bigger name.