The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
jeromeo87

2012 Off Season Discussion

..and that he is open to signing with other teams if he doesn't get that. Suter's one of those players that are basically worth anything they ask for. I could see him fetching a lot of $$$ in the open market, possibly too much for PK and JR.

Yeah, true.

However I believe that since he's looking for a long term contract, a contract can be set up where he gets the big bucks the first few years, then the payoff/cap hit reduces (like Hossa's contract, or Kovys).

I dunno about these super duper long term contracts seems like the player always turns into a bust that your stuck in a contract with.

Yeah, true.

However I believe that since he's looking for a long term contract, a contract can be set up where he gets the big bucks the first few years, then the payoff/cap hit reduces (like Hossa's contract, or Kovys).

If Pronger can't comeback, think Philly will go hard and high for Suter if he tests FA. Not sure JR/PK can or would be willing to match them and still go after a top tier forward.

If Pronger can't comeback, think Philly will go hard and high for Suter if he tests FA. Not sure JR/PK can or would be willing to match them and still go after a top tier forward.

Much like Savard in Boston, Pronger will still be on their roster. I think if they keep him on injured reserve his salary won't count against the cap, but he's still raking in a lot of $$$..

Yeah, true.

That will probably depend on what happens with the CBA, whether or not those type of contracts will be possible in the future.

I think we still make legitimate offers for Praise (assuming of course he doesn't re-sign and hits the market). It might be a bidding war, but I am assuming the Canes will try to get a best offer possible. If not then they look for trades. I don't think they want to make trades unless they have to, but the pool of top line FA is slim and I don't see them trying to chance on a JR project or a recycling bin pick up. There are a lot of factors of course, cba, playoffs, draft, ect. so its hard to say what will even be available.

Yeah, Raleigh is a great place. I get that. Players see it as a good family place, and players have settled here.

That said: What's wrong with Nashville? Raleigh doesn't corner the market on good places. Nashville isn't too shabby either.

Just sayin'...

Yeah, Raleigh is a great place. I get that. Players see it as a good family place, and players have settled here.

That said: What's wrong with Nashville? Raleigh doesn't corner the market on good places. Nashville isn't too shabby either.

Just sayin'...

yeah, and realistically most of the cities in the nhl are going to be nice places, when you make 500k+ a year, there aren't too many bad places to live :D

yeah, and realistically most of the cities in the nhl are going to be nice places, when you make 500k+ a year, there aren't too many bad places to live :D

You're right. Even if the arena is in an unattractive area, ie: Philadelphia, they have great suburbs for families.

IMO the way NC schools are going, I'm not sure Raleigh is as attractive for players with young families as it was a couple of years ago. Of course, I guess high-end guys can afford to send their kids to private schools. Think I just had an argument with myself...scarey.

Much like Savard in Boston, Pronger will still be on their roster. I think if they keep him on injured reserve his salary won't count against the cap, but he's still raking in a lot of $$$..

You are probably right. I wasn't even thinking about that aspect; I was just looking at replacing top talent with top talent for next season. I would assume the Flyers will have a sit-down with Pronger and his doctors before July 1st to decide which way to go. Heck Pronger may even retire rather than risk further injury, since he is still having concussion sypmtoms from a Nov injury...think he's 35 or 37 anyway.

I didn't see a thread for the World Championships. Just saw Faulk scored 2 goals today against Kazakhstan including the OT winner. Jokinen also scored twice in the Fins game. Glad to see the Canes doing well over there.

I didn't see a thread for the World Championships. Just saw Faulk scored 2 goals today against Kazakhstan including the OT winner. Jokinen also scored twice in the Fins game. Glad to see the Canes doing well over there.

Also, I think he leads the whole tournament in +/-

Think I just had an argument with myself...scarey.

Don't worry, I think you won that argument :D

You are probably right. I wasn't even thinking about that aspect; I was just looking at replacing top talent with top talent for next season. I would assume the Flyers will have a sit-down with Pronger and his doctors before July 1st to decide which way to go. Heck Pronger may even retire rather than risk further injury, since he is still having concussion sypmtoms from a Nov injury...think he's 35 or 37 anyway.

Funny you should say that. I was listening to XM this morning and they had an update on Pronger, via their GM. Pronger's status is unchanged, which is to say he's still in bad shape.

Anyway, he said exactly what you assumed. They are going to have a meeting before July 1 with him to try to figure this stuff out.

Isn't that Borat's country?

I like....high five!

I like....high five!

Yeah!

I really wonder some days... 10 years from now, which star will we talking about more? Faulk or Skinner?

Let's see how it goes for Faulk's sophomore and jr years. Time will tell.

Funny you should say that. I was listening to XM this morning and they had an update on Pronger, via their GM. Pronger's status is unchanged, which is to say he's still in bad shape.

Anyway, he said exactly what you assumed. They are going to have a meeting before July 1 with him to try to figure this stuff out.

Think that's the prudent thing for the Flyers to do before free agency starts.

Yeah!

I really wonder some days... 10 years from now, which star will we talking about more? Faulk or Skinner?

Let's see how it goes for Faulk's sophomore and jr years. Time will tell.

Think Skinner peaked as an unknown small rookie similar to Sergei Samsanov with Boston. Faulk continues to develop and brings it every game.

Think Skinner peaked as an unknown small rookie similar to Sergei Samsanov with Boston. Faulk continues to develop and brings it every game.

I think Faulk.....much more controlled, calm, less reactive......a future Hall of Fame defenseman methinks!

Skins needs to ignore the provocation and just play HIS game.....then we'll see.

Edited by FreeRad1

I don't think I agree that Skinner has peaked. Gotta remember it was a tough start to the season for everyone, went through a coaching change, and his first major injury. Even if he has peaked I'd say he's still good for 25-30 goals a year and that ain't too shabby.

I don't think I agree that Skinner has peaked. Gotta remember it was a tough start to the season for everyone, went through a coaching change, and his first major injury. Even if he has peaked I'd say he's still good for 25-30 goals a year and that ain't too shabby.

You're may be right. However, his professional immaturity is intolerable regardless of all the excuses made for him...age, small size, gets cheap shots, no gritty guy to protect him, etc. He and Parise are about the same size, play in front of the net, are very competitive, but have very different on-ice personas. In another year or two, I believe you will see him level off at around 20 goals a year (which is nothing to sneeze at) as the rest of the league becomes totally familiar with his play and his shortcomings (physical and psychological). Would not tell my grandson to ever emulate him, at least not at this point in time.

You're may be right. However, his professional immaturity is intolerable regardless of all the excuses made for him...age, small size, gets cheap shots, no gritty guy to protect him, etc. He and Parise are about the same size, play in front of the net, are very competitive, but have very different on-ice personas. In another year or two, I believe you will see him level off at around 20 goals a year (which is nothing to sneeze at) as the rest of the league becomes totally familiar with his play and his shortcomings (physical and psychological). Would not tell my grandson to ever emulate him, at least not at this point in time.

I don't want to get too much into Skinner's on-ice persona; however, I do think his "attitude" is something this team REALLY lacks, and I think a little here and there is a good thing.

But to say he'll level off at 20 goals is silly.. He's a special talent, who btw is a big factor right now in the world championship. We have something special in Skinner; enjoy it!

Now I can agree with you on the immaturity. However there is evidence out there claiming people with concussion history can become rather emotional and even have personality changes. I try not to speculate but I think this might have something to do with his post concussion meltdowns.