The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
jeromeo87

2012 Off Season Discussion

It's been said - Pens do not need another offensive dman (which is too bad, considering that's almost all we have). Pens need a defensive dman and a top 6 winger. I've mentioned our 1st, Harrison OR Joslin, and Jokinen OR Tlusty for J.Staal; most Pens fans laugh at that deal. I'm not sure why.. What exactly are they expecting?.. J.Staal isn't Kovalchuk.

Also, I think what we all need to realize here is if Pittsburgh expects a big return for J.Staal that means a contract extension has to come with the deal. This is why J.Staal has the upper hand. He almost gets to pick where he goes. And yes, I do think his desire is to be here. We have a hole of a role he can and wants to fill. And, of course, his brother is here.

If the Pens do trade Jordan this off-season, I think you make a good trade proposal. Although I'm a little hesitant about using our #1 on Staal in case it's needed for a top-winger trade, if no UFA deal materializes. Guess the Canes can always trade a puck-moving D-am to the Pens and they can swap him to another team for a stay at home guy??

Guess the Canes can always trade a puck-moving D-am to the Pens and they can swap him to another team for a stay at home guy??

Threeway!!

It's been said - Pens do not need another offensive dman (which is too bad, considering that's almost all we have). Pens need a defensive dman and a top 6 winger. I've mentioned our 1st, Harrison OR Joslin, and Jokinen OR Tlusty for J.Staal; most Pens fans laugh at that deal. I'm not sure why.. What exactly are they expecting?.. J.Staal isn't Kovalchuk.

Also, I think what we all need to realize here is if Pittsburgh expects a big return for J.Staal that means a contract extension has to come with the deal. This is why J.Staal has the upper hand. He almost gets to pick where he goes. And yes, I do think his desire is to be here. We have a hole of a role he can and wants to fill. And, of course, his brother is here.

Honestly, why would the Pens trade away JORDAN STAAL for guys (Joslin,Harrison,Tlusty) you can more or less find on the wavier wire in any given year?

As a Canes fan I would love it, but we'd really need to sweeten the tea! I can see why Pens fans might laugh at that one.

Thanks for the great feedback guys!!

All that said, combining some idea here, takes me to:

J. Staal

for

Harrison + the Canes #1 (8th overall).

It might not be sweet enuff for Pit, but I would do back flips if JR could get this done!

Remember, we can always try (and prob get) J.Staal resigned in 2013 (how? use the money some think we have for Parise now).

Greg

Threeway!!

Sounds dirty when you say it that way but yep, sort of. I was just thinking of sending a puck-mover to the Pens and they decide on who & how to deal for a stay-at-home guy. But, as an example, the Flyers end up with a puck-mover, Pens end up with a stay-at-home guy, and we end up with Jordan ... not that this would be everything involved in a deal, ie: other players and/or draft picks.

Honestly, why would the Pens trade away JORDAN STAAL for guys (Joslin,Harrison,Tlusty) you can more or less find on the wavier wire in any given year?

As a Canes fan I would love it, but we'd really need to sweeten the tea! I can see why Pens fans might laugh at that one.

Think you're being a little tough on our guys value, especially Tlusty. Pens need a top 6 wing and a stay at home d-man. Either Tlusty or Jokinen could be that winger at a reasonable price and unfortunately, we only have Harrison or Joslin as basically stay-at-home D-men to offer in a straight up trade. After that you're adding draft picks and/or prospects.

Think you're being a little tough on our guys value, especially Tlusty. Pens need a top 6 wing and a stay at home d-man. Either Tlusty or Jokinen could be that winger at a reasonable price and unfortunately, we only have Harrison or Joslin as basically stay-at-home D-men to offer in a straight up trade. After that you're adding draft picks and/or prospects.

I think you're being a little lenient. Tlusty has had one good stretch and has an injury history. Jokinen isn't really a piece the Canes can afford to lose no matter how much Jordan Staal would bring to the table. Lose him and you're still down a reliable scoring do it all type of player.

We would be foolish to make that deal. The line for Staal will be long but we cant overpay. Yes Staal is a great player but his value is lower because of numbers. His numbers are lower due to the fact that his stuck behind Crosby and Malkin. Their GM can say that his numbers would be much higher if not stuck behind those two but that is just talk. He didnt seem to handle it too well when Crosby went down. His playoff performance helped his value for sure. I think if we move a package like you mentioned that we swap first rounders. Even with a contract extension talked about before the move. If EDM or Toronto are willing to just dump their first rounder for Staal then let them. It just isnt a wise move for us as a budget worrying team.

I honestly think the Canes should use the 8th to try and pry #1 overall from the Oilers. If I'm not mistaken I do believe Edmonton needs/wants a young puck moving defensemen.

I honestly think the Canes should use the 8th to try and pry #1 overall from the Oilers. If I'm not mistaken I do believe Edmonton needs/wants a young puck moving defensemen.

Its an interesting idea but highly doubtful. Who would you take? We know JR is iffy on those Russians. Galchenyuk? Murray? Yakupov?

With so many other teams potentially wanting Zach Parise (read that as big $), what about making a play for PA PARENTEAU ?

He's coming into his prime, a hard worker and very nice stats with the Islanders the last few years!

From 2012 Regular Season...

Parenteau = 0.84 PPG (wow!)

Z. Parise = 0.84 PPG

J. Staal = 0.81 PPG

A. Semin = 0.70 PPG

Its an interesting idea but highly doubtful. Who would you take? We know JR is iffy on those Russians. Galchenyuk? Murray? Yakupov?

Without a doubt you take Yakupov! Which is why we won't trade for number 1 overall...JR & the Russian thing.

I'd love to see it, but it's a pipe dream.

I had no idea just how few Russians have been in the NHL. 192 total? Only 28 active Russians. 5 goalies.

Out of those 28 my headcase count is Babchuk, Radulov, Ovie, Semin. Likely missing one.

It's not like their aren't Canadian headcases or American... etc. But with their numbers being so much higher in the NHL no one notices to make a generalization. Nail could be the next Datsyuk. Seems like theirs a 1 in 7 chance he'll be a headcase so why wouldn't you draft him?

Signing McBain for more than a qualifying offer indicates to me that he will be part of our D-corp next season. I could be wrong but I don't think we will move him. JR saying Spacek is willing to sign but it is premature for the Canes to sign him indicates to me that we are going to try and make a deal. Not necessarily for a D-man but possible with a D-man moving. Spacek is our fall back plan.

Pitkanen keeps sticking out like a sore thumb. Where does he fit this team moving forward. Of course I don't know. If Harrison can skate top 2 pair you could be looking at Gleason-Faulk, Harrison - McBain. Harrison can certainly skate 3rd pair. Joni could skate 2nd pair with McBain again but I think that would hinder McBain's play. Do we want McBain on third pair? Joni is a really talented player, he moves the puck and he can add lots of offense when he joins the rush.But he is a free lancer. I think for Joni to be at his best he needs a really good defensive D-man to skate with.

It could be an interesting summer..

x

So we need to accomplish 2 major objectives.

1. NET at least one seriously productive top 6 forward.

2. Limit shots against.

So if we trade a Ruutu or Jussi or the like, then we need to find two new forwards. I'm not saying we might not do that, as it might be the best way to go to pick up the one big name with whatever it takes, and then backfill a forward, but it is more complicated and likely involves trading an underrated guy who took a discount to stay hear and is a great team guy that you want on your team (Jussi or Ruutu).

The problem with trading a forward is that the forwards we might consider trading are undervalued and thus worth more to us that the other guy. Sutter, Jussi, Tlusty. Then add Ruutu's intangibles, and it just doesn't make any sense 9 times out of 10 to trade any of Staal, Tlusty, Sutter, Ruutu, Jokinen, Skinner.

Our top pick, while not as high as I'd have preferred, is still #8 which is not to be sneezed at. Sure you never know, but at #8 the odds are good that we get a really good player. So, for a J. Staal signed to a fairly long deal, OK, but otherwise...be careful.

That leaves defensemen. Since objective #2 (some would say #1) is to limit shots, (another reason to not even think about trading Sutter) and it looks like Allen is walking, and with a puck mover in Murphy around the corner...and Doumalin...it just makes sense to move Joni or McBain. SOOO much sense. This is not to say they are not valuable, that's just it, they are and as such can bring something back. But they are puck movers and we are stock full of those. But historically many teams need and are always looking for guys like that.

Joni or McBain get moved. Probably Joni.

Van Riemsdyk is a more likely target. Easily acquired.

3 decent seasons behind with big upside ahead. Size.

North American. Young. A good fit.

I would love to pick him up. I don't closely follow the Flyers, but I am wondering why you and some others think he'd be so easy to get?

He was the #2 overall pick. He's 23, 6'3". He put up 21 goals his second season, and then 7G in 11 playoff games that year. He was injured this year, but are the Flyers ready to give up on him? If so, he would be an excellent choice.

Here is a contrarian view of signing Parise:

http://nhlnumbers.com/2012/5/21/zach-parise-excellent-player-free-agency-risk

Makes you want to make a run at J.Staal or JVR, or BOTH!

The uncertainty over Pronger's future might make Joni attractive to the Flyers. As for Ruu he just signed an extension with a NTC so I wouldn't think that is an option and I wouldn't want to move Ruu anyway.

Would anyone consider Brad Boyes as a free agent signing. The guy is a former 40 goal scorer and would be the perfect reclamation project for JR. I would love to have Parise or Staal however I believe JR and owership will cheap out and sign a couple of lower profile players.

The uncertainty over Pronger's future might make Joni attractive to the Flyers. As for Ruu he just signed an extension with a NTC so I wouldn't think that is an option and I wouldn't want to move Ruu anyway.

As far as I know, Flyers could use a player like Pitkanen or McBain; however, I'm not sure they would want Pitkanen back. Seems like things were rocky when Pits was in Philly.

Would anyone consider Brad Boyes as a free agent signing. The guy is a former 40 goal scorer and would be the perfect reclamation project for JR. I would love to have Parise or Staal however I believe JR and owership will cheap out and sign a couple of lower profile players.

Interesting option. Of course, Boyes wouldn't be the answer for Staal's line; but if a winger is shipped out via trade, we may have a hole he could fill. A right-handed shot wouldn't hurt. Definitely wouldn't put too much money into him, though. I would rather have Whitney.

As far as I know, Flyers could use a player like Pitkanen or McBain; however, I'm not sure they would want Pitkanen back. Seems like things were rocky when Pits was in Philly.

Different times , different coach but your point is taken. Joni might be a little "soft" for the Flyer organization

Different times , different coach but your point is taken. Joni might be a little "soft" for the Flyer organization

Well, Lavi was here when we acquired Pits, so maybe there is interest there. It wouldn't be an even swap for JVR, but a trade like that should and could happen (Pits package for top line winger). Parise will cost too much, I doubt JR will be interested in Semin and Parenteau will most likely resign with the Islanders.

Michael Murphy ‏@MichaelMurphy31 - KHL/Russia bound next season! I'd like to thank the Hurricanes/Checkers organization & fans for an amazing 3yrs! Memories i'll have forever!

Paul Branecky ‏@PaulBranecky - Much like Babchuk and Osala before him, the Hurricanes will retain Murphy's rights as long as he's overseas.

Didn't see that coming; however, I can't blame him.

Edited by jeromeo87

Michael Murphy ‏@MichaelMurphy31 - KHL/Russia bound next season! I'd like to thank the Hurricanes/Checkers organization & fans for an amazing 3yrs! Memories i'll have forever!

Paul Branecky ‏@PaulBranecky - Much like Babchuk and Osala before him, the Hurricanes will retain Murphy's rights as long as he's overseas.

Didn't see that coming; however, I can't blame him.

Well that sucks...Can't blame him. Despite good numbers he never really got a shot with the Canes, & could have been upset by not being played down the stretch with the playoffs on the line in Charlotte.

I would have liked to see him get his first NHL start last season while he was called up...but it was not to be.

Canes better sign Peters & Muse now...but will Peters take a two way contract?

Edited by rocheccw

Well, Lavi was here when we acquired Pits, so maybe there is interest there. It wouldn't be an even swap for JVR, but a trade like that should and could happen (Pits package for top line winger). Parise will cost too much, I doubt JR will be interested in Semin and Parenteau will most likely resign with the Islanders.

Maybe..but before the Pits comments become a full blown rumor my thoughts were just trying to figure out where he fits. I'm not a big Joni fan but I really do recognize his talent and the amount of ice time he plays. If Joni stays I won't have a problem. I just can't figure out where he fits and who can play in his pairing.

I'm having the same problem trying to wrap my mind around where Jussi plays next year if we go get a winger and/or a center. I don't want to see a player like Jokinen traded but at the same time I'm not sure where he fits.

Its all just idle chatter on my part right now but its fun trying to figure it out.