The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
jeromeo87

2012 Off Season Discussion

Far more goalies with far more aspirations to be an NHL goalie with higher walls have suceeded making it to the NHL. Like Irbe, Thomas....etc... if this is the best he's mentally got...goodbye. He's saving us time and a roster spot.

Now with Murphy leaving we need to move down in the draft and get a goalie. We are severly missing a good goalie prospect in our organization. Peters is adequate but when is the last time we really went after a goalie? We need to groom Ward some relief. Of course that moving down can be a part of a trade for a winger/2nd line center with Pittsburgh, San Jose or whoever.

Unless you want to spend a 1st or 2nd rounder on a goalie moving down in the draft isn't going to bring in a good goalie.

Whats that European goalie Coastal was big on name? We have his rights and it would be about time for him to make the jump to America.

I don't blame Murphy. He has Muse pushing from below and Boucher above. At this point he has uncertainty what Peters will do and the odds are if Boucher falters that Peters (if we have him) would get the call up. He will probable get more money and get to test his skills against some pretty good hockey players. The KHL isn't the NHL but it isn't the AHL either.

It appears to me he didn't make the decision in a huff and he kept the door open. We have his rights and who knows what the future holds for him. I hope he improves and wish he well.

x

Unless you want to spend a 1st or 2nd rounder on a goalie moving down in the draft isn't going to bring in a good goalie.

Whats that European goalie Coastal was big on name? We have his rights and it would be about time for him to make the jump to America.

Yeah Legend, just goes to show you how much folks even know or keep up with our own prospects.

The news Murphy is gone to the KHL likely means Frederik Andersen is own his way to North America and will be signed shortly. The guy absolutely tore up the Swedish Elite league this season. Beat Lundqvist's record with 8 shutouts and led the league in both SV% and GAA as a rookie.

As a reminder, we selected him in the 7th round in 2010. The guy is a monster too, something like 6'4" and 240 lbs.

Edited by coastal_caniac

Yeah Legend, just goes to show you how much folks even know or keep up with our own prospects.

The news Murphy is gone to the KHL likely means Frederik Andersen is own his way to North America and will be signed shortly. The guy absolutely tore up the Swedish Elite league this season. Beat Lundqvist's record with 8 shutouts and led the league in both SV% and GAA as a rookie.

As a reminder, we selected him in the 7th round in 2010. The guy is a monster too, something like 6'4" and 240 lbs.

Your right, I didn't forget him but did forget to remember him. LOL. I would guess he will be AHL bound to start the season.

I forgot about Frederik Andersen. Yeah they need to sign him to a nice two way contract. Give him a year in the A, & see if he can handle the North American game. Then don't resign Boucher after next year. Maybe he could be Ward's back up, & actually play + win a few games.

Probably a coincidence but Andersen tweeted he is in NY visiting friends.

Friends in high places?

With so many other teams potentially wanting Zach Parise (read that as big $), what about making a play for PA PARENTEAU ?

He's coming into his prime, a hard worker and very nice stats with the Islanders the last few years!

From 2012 Regular Season...

Parenteau = 0.84 PPG (wow!)

Z. Parise = 0.84 PPG

J. Staal = 0.81 PPG

A. Semin = 0.70 PPG

He'll be 30 years old next season and it will only be his 3rd full season in NHL. Yes, he put 60+ points in 11-12 but he's not the caliber we "need". He would be a "nice to have" mid-level pick up.

A 67 point player who would actually fill a hole is less desirable then a guy whose never broken 50 points at a position we don't need.

This really is just about the guys last name isn't it?

A 67 point player who would actually fill a hole is less desirable then a guy whose never broken 50 points at a position we don't need.

We don't need?.. :threaten: I've been wanting and talking about needing a 2nd line center since Brindy wasn't Brindy anymore.

Sorry, I was contrasting him to UFA's Parise, Semin, Hudler or RFA's E. Kane, J. Benn, K. Versteeg.

We don't need?.. :threaten: I've been wanting and talking about needing a 2nd line center since Brindy wasn't Brindy anymore.

I've been waiting for Staal to score 100 points again for a longer time, get in line :)

Well, the line just got longer. I've been waiting for the Canes to field a respectable defense since, well..... a while. :facepalm:

With Allen looking like he's out of the picture, we got us some problems on our backend.

Yes you've been advocating a 2nd line center for a while. IMO it's "need" vs "want". I still think our primary need is that top line winger via FA or trade, then a stand-up d-man to replace Allen, next maybe trade for a skilled bodyguard for Skinner, ... drumbeat ... then a two-way 2nd line center.

Today we have E. Staal, Sutter, Welsh, Brent, and the versatile Ruutu, Jokinen, and wannabe Skinner. That's a boatload...almost as many as our list of puck-moving d-men. If Jordan Staal falls into our lap via trade this year or UFA next year, I would wholeheartedly want JR to grab him quickly (at a reasonable price of course)...to much talent to pass-on.

All that being said, IMO we first need a scoring winger and a defensive scheme that will stop the bombardment that Cam faces.

Comments on various posts:

Boyes: Pass. He is oh so soft and was invisible in Buffalo.

Joni: Trading him to Philly would be a stab in the back by JR. He hated Mgt there and took about $1MM discount to sign here.

J. Staal: All depends if he REALLY wants to play w/bro in Carolina. If so, trade nothing and wait a year or very little to Pens. IMO, we can wait 1 year or until trade deadline. Will the Pens overplay their hand?

Semin: No thanks!

Sutter: Insane if we trade him away!

Does anybody remember the last time we put an offer sheet in on a RFA? Particularly one of the caliber of a guy like Jamie Benn, as was mentioned earlier.

Does anybody remember the last time we put an offer sheet in on a RFA? Particularly one of the caliber of a guy like Jamie Benn, as was mentioned earlier.

I do, never.

Sergei Federov, in our first year but the Red Wings matched.

Edited by legend-1

with the cap money, a dman and top 6 guy is out there.. hate to wait to get jordan, but hope Eric is treating him to alot of fishing trips and dinners this summer.. :)

Whats even better about it, Sergei is obviously a Russian and JR was the GM.

That signing could have really got this team going faster.

Do any teams put in offer sheets on high-end RFA's or is it just the Canes don't? I know it can be pricey in terms of salary and draft picks. But you do have high profiled Evander Kane, Jamie Benn, and Kris Versteeg as RFA's this summer.

If the Canes can't land an UFA and they don't go for RFA's, all they can do is trade for somebody like a Dustin Brown, Bobby Ryan, Corey Perry, Loui Eriksson, or Joe Pavelski to name a few young wings.

Do any teams put in offer sheets on high-end RFA's or is it just the Canes don't? I know it can be pricey in terms of salary and draft picks. But you do have high profiled Evander Kane, Jamie Benn, and Kris Versteeg as RFA's this summer.

If the Canes can't land an UFA and they don't go for RFA's, all they can do is trade for somebody like a Dustin Brown, Bobby Ryan, Corey Perry, Loui Eriksson, or Joe Pavelski to name a few young wings.

So, you think JR should put an offer sheet in on the Dallas Star's number one center?