The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
jeromeo87

2012 Off Season Discussion

Not before April, 2013.

Really, send him back to juniors, again? He will absolutely get the requisite 10 day try out and a leg up.

Advantage: Murphy.

Is Murphy allowed to join the Checkers for a playoff run? The rules for young guys and waivers/contracts are so damn confusing.

IMO Faulk has been a rare rookie defenseman ready for the NHL. We can't expect a bunch of

young guys to carry our defense---no matter how "promising" they look when we first sign them. (Remember

Dalpe---was supposed to be a sure thing for the top six this year ?)

Next year Allen is needed not just for shot blocking. He pushes people out of Cam's crease, he and Gleason stand up for our guys,

he brings grit, and, from what we hear, is a great vet in the locker room. I keep seeing people talk so casually about trading

Pits also. Really ? Just b/c he has been out a while? He hasn't really gotten a chance for Muller to work with him. He re-signed

with us for a home town discount, like our other Finns. Can't see JR moving him this summer.

But I am not the GM. So what do I know?

Is Murphy allowed to join the Checkers for a playoff run? The rules for young guys and waivers/contracts are so damn confusing.

He can play in the AHL when Kitchener either fails to make the playoffs, or after they are eliminated from the playoffs.

Edited by coastal_caniac

IMO Faulk has been a rare rookie defenseman ready for the NHL. We can't expect a bunch of

young guys to carry our defense---no matter how "promising" they look when we first sign them. (Remember

Dalpe---was supposed to be a sure thing for the top six this year ?)

Next year Allen is needed not just for shot blocking. He pushes people out of Cam's crease, he and Gleason stand up for our guys,

he brings grit, and, from what we hear, is a great vet in the locker room. I keep seeing people talk so casually about trading

Pits also. Really ? Just b/c he has been out a while? He hasn't really gotten a chance for Muller to work with him. He re-signed

with us for a home town discount, like our other Finns. Can't see JR moving him this summer.

But I am not the GM. So what do I know?

I agree with almost everything you said in this. You are absolutely right about prospects: so many are promising, not so many deliver at the top level. Also excellent points about Allen. Generally I favor keeping Allen.

But talking casually about trading Pits? The thought of trading him, for me at least, is not casual, but has to be at least considered. Trading a guy like Pitkanen packaged with someone else or a pick, might bring back some serious skills up front. One has to look at both sides of a trade. Unlike say, Kaberle, I would not trade Pitkanen for the much discussed bag of pucks.

If you like Allen, my guess is you like Harrison. If we sign Allen, and let Spacek walk, we still have 7 defenseman plus the possibility of Mr. Murphy making the team (hard to imagine sending him for another year of juniors) making 8.

Anyway, you have to give to get, and since Murphy is a super offensive type guy it seems that McBain is the most losable guy in terms of keeping the best team next year. The thing is, who does the GM who has, say a Bobby Ryan want? McBain? Pits? In the end if we can get the right guy top 3 winger, I'd move one of them. That is not a casual trade. That, for once, is a big trade.

Some, including me, have tossed out the idea of an entirely new vet dman who is pure shut down. That would mean moving at least 2 dmen if Allen is signed.

I guess the thing is that we have played some really soft defense and that has cost us dearly. This has to be fixed somehow, and assuming we sign Allen, we have too many bodies all of which were here during the reign or rain of shots. Something has to give.

He can play in the AHL when Kitchener either fails to make the playoffs, or after they are eliminated from the playoffs.

Isn't there some AHL age limit too? So confusing! Think it's like when Brandon Sutter left juniors, if he made it past the 1st 9 Canes' games the 1st year, he could only play for the NHL (Canes) but the next year he was allowed to also play for the AHL too...which he did until the Canes playoff run. Maybe they have to be 18 or 19 by a certain time, which he may be already.

Edited by whbailey

Isn't there some AHL age limit too? So confusing! Think it's like when Brandon Sutter left juniors, if he made it past the 1st 9 Canes' games the 1st year, he could only play for the NHL (Canes) but the next year he was allowed to also play for the AHL too...which he did until the Canes playoff run. Maybe they have to be 18 or 19 by a certain time, which he may be already.

From what I understand the only age limit in the AHL is you must be 18. But an agreement between the NHL/CHL restricts players drafted from juniors from skating in the AHL or other minors until they are 20 years old or have played 4 years in one of the CHL leagues. After the CHL team is finished with their season the CFL player can skate in the AHL for the remainder of the season/playoffs but must be returned to that CFL team next season if they are still under 20 by Dec 31.

Players drafted from European leagues or the NCAA by a NHL club are not covered under the agreement and can play in the AHL

I think that is it.

well there will be a couple of teams that will be in cap issues with possible trade options and possible RFA trade for rights.

Depending how Anthony Stewart has liked the organization, his brother chris will be a RFA. Possibly trade for his rights.

Pitt is close to cap now with Steve Sullivan and Niskanen needing a new contracts. As well as a backup goalie. Maybe this is the season Jordan Staal is traded.

Flyers will again have cap issues with many roster spots needing to be filled. JVR has been brought up as trade bait. Flyers will need a some cheaper D men and I think we could help with that.

Nobody suggested any of these defensive prospect will be ready to step on the ice next year, except maybe JR (Murphy). Personally, I have my doubts a 5'10" 176 pound defenseman can come right in and not get killed at this level. Maybe I'm wrong, but it's a valid concern.

Everything I've seen and read out of Dumoulin, in particular, suggests he's probably on the fastest track to get to Charlotte, assuming he signs a pro contract. From there, it's anybody's guess when he will be ready.

IMO, Allen will want a deal similar to Gleason's. That's the issue, not his play or his veteran leadership. If he can be traded when the need arises, I'm fine with keeping him.

well there will be a couple of teams that will be in cap issues with possible trade options and possible RFA trade for rights.

Depending how Anthony Stewart has liked the organization, his brother chris will be a RFA. Possibly trade for his rights.

Pitt is close to cap now with Steve Sullivan and Niskanen needing a new contracts. As well as a backup goalie. Maybe this is the season Jordan Staal is traded.

Flyers will again have cap issues with many roster spots needing to be filled. JVR has been brought up as trade bait. Flyers will need a some cheaper D men and I think we could help with that.

Chris actually played for the River Rats in 2006-07 season after finishing with Kingston(OHL), but only for 5 regular season games and 1 playoff game. The next season, he played for Lake Erie(AHL) before playing for the Avs.

Jordan will be a UFA after the 2012-13 season, as will Crosby and Malkin after 2013-14 season, so they have some big decisions to make coming up.

The Pens will have about 4.7mil in cap space next season to work with their UFAs, so I don't think they will have any issues bringing Tangradi(RFA), Sullivan(UFA), Asham(UFA), Park(UFA), Johnson(UFA) and Niskanen(RFA)

NHL.com-- Another bright spot in February for Eastern Conference goalie prospects was Justin Peters. Due to a minor injury to Cam Ward, Peters stepped in and went 2-1-2 with a 1.56 GAA and .952 save percentage in five games. He stopped 138 of 145 total shots, and pitched a 17-save shutout in a win against Washington on Feb. 20. Like Bishop, Peters is 25 years old and likely to be a full-time NHL backup next season.

As unreliable as Peters was last year as the backup, you gotta hand it to the guy, he performed in those 5 games this season. Doesn't hurt his trade value either.

As unreliable as Peters was last year as the backup, you gotta hand it to the guy, he performed in those 5 games this season. Doesn't hurt his trade value either.

Peters is an RFA at the end of the season. Since Boucher is under contract, it seems unlikely that JR would qualify Peters on a one way deal. In that scenario, I don't think he has a lot of trade value, but I hope I'm missing something somewhere.

Peters & Murphy (Goalie) are both RFA.

Also, don't forget about John Muse who played great for Charlotte.

I would try to sign all three of these goalies. Murphy & Muse to two way multiple year contracts, & Peters to a one year one way contract. Then move Boucher. Peters can be the back up if you play him regularly. Boucher has done nothing that Peters could do for less money.

One of Mo's many mistakes was not playing the back up goalie enough to give him a chance at a win when he finally did play.

Here is what I am thinking/wondering- with the comments that JR made @ the trade deadline, is he going to move a "BIG" named person on the roster to bring in someone else (big name) to help out Staal?! I don't think you can just package young guys/prospects and/or picks for a bigtime player. (AND PLEASE DON'T ASK ME WHO I WOULD LIKE TO TRADE)LOL.

Here is what I am thinking/wondering- with the comments that JR made @ the trade deadline, is he going to move a "BIG" named person on the roster to bring in someone else (big name) to help out Staal?! I don't think you can just package young guys/prospects and/or picks for a bigtime player. (AND PLEASE DON'T ASK ME WHO I WOULD LIKE TO TRADE)LOL.

Well ultimately who knows, but for me the only big trade bait that makes sense has to come from behind the blue-line.

Pitkanen or McBain (big part)

Peters or Boucher

That's my story and I'm sticking to it!

Edited by remkin

Spectors Hockey quoting the Boston Globe said that Boston made a play for Spacek at the trade deadline but the price was to high. Indications are Spacek would have loved to play for the Bruins.

Boston.com

I'm not sure how everything will play out. I don't think it is a coincidence that we began playing better when Spacek got here. I think he helped Muller change the culture of the team. Still moving forward we know we need to make changes and Spacek may be one of the sacrifices we need to make to achieve our goals.

A quick update on Victor Rask - he's now got 30 goals and 25 assists for 55 points in 57 games for Calgary. They've clinched a playoff spot.

Do you think Rask will get a shot at center, or be moved to wing?

Do you think he gets a shot at the Canes roster next season, or will it be back to JRs for him since he is only 19?

I also agree with you on Dumoulin. If he signs...he will have a legitimate shot at a Canes roster spot, & would only be pushed down to the AHL if it is a numbers game. Murphy(D) would still have to either make the Canes or go back to JRs.

Can't wait for Muller's first training camp! Yes...I know the season is still going on, but I'm excited for the future.

By the way, anyone know who can go down & play in the AHL playoffs if the Canes don't make a miracle run, and the Checkers get in?(Bowman, Samson, Faulk)

Do you think Rask will get a shot at center, or be moved to wing?

Do you think he gets a shot at the Canes roster next season, or will it be back to JRs for him since he is only 19?

By the way, anyone know who can go down & play in the AHL playoffs if the Canes don't make a miracle run, and the Checkers get in?(Bowman, Samson, Faulk)

Personally I think a 19 year old has to dazzle to make it (a la Skinner). I am excited about Rask, if for no other reason than our non-Skinner forward prospects are just not really exciting things.

I'm so far from being the rules expert on here I can't even see it, but I'll tell you this, they better not send Faulk down for even 5 minutes. He does not need AHL time, and if he got seriously injured it would be hockey malpractice.

The AHL has what is referred to as Clear Day.

Each Clear Day roster consists of a maximum of 22 players. According to AHL by-laws, only those players listed on a team’s Clear Day roster are eligible to compete in the remainder of the 2011-12 AHL regular season and in the 2012 Calder Cup Playoffs, unless emergency conditions arise as a result of recall, injury or suspension.

Teams may also add signed draft choices and players signed to amateur tryout contracts, provided that their respective junior or college seasons are complete.

Bowman and Samson were both put on the roster, J. Staal and Shugg were left off. However Staal was loaned to Providence to keep him playing.

Makes sense to have Bowman & Samson on the Clear Day roster, & Faulk not. While the playoff experience would be valuable to a young player...if Faulk got seriously hurt Canes would be kicking themselves.

Thanks for the info...I knew it was some type of roster thing.

Hope Dumoulin(signs), Rask, & / or Murphy(D) join the Checkers once their season ends.