The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
jeromeo87

2012 Off Season Discussion

RESTRICTED free agency maybe?

It doesn't matter what you call it as long as the players and management know what it means. From what Coastal has explained to me, it isn't "free" anything but they had to call it something!

I didn't really get that feeling from the JR comments. I did get the feeling he is comfortable that if a deal he likes can't be made he would be alright starting the season with who we have. But even if a deal wasn't made we still have Sangs, Dumoulin and Murphy fighting for a spot. My gut feeling is we will make a deal.

Maybe I read it to fast but JR didn't give me any warm fuzzies. Think JR need to move several people to get some balance on D, unless somebody turns into a quality 2-way D-man like Ryan Suter.

With Fehr at the head of the NHLPA the season, they will be lucky to start the season in January so there is additional time for trades ... hah!

I agree though, it will be interesting to see what demands, if any, the NHLPA may have with regards to the current system. They have THE MAN to work for them, go ask baseball.

...and this scares the poop out of me.

It's funny. You never know what comments will draw fire around here. boarding.gif

Seemed so obvious after Coastal pointed out that almost no one ever puts offers on RFA, let alone steals one, that it's not just restricted, it's lock box. Maybe the minuscule chance that someone might (ya right) put an offer on one of your players has some kind of effect. What do I know? Just seems like an odd system to go through the charade. If they went through the trouble of setting this up, it is not illogical to think someone involved thought that there would be some movement of players, maybe more than almost none.

It was really just an offhand observation that it is really not functioning as Free Agency.

OK I get it. It says Restricted. No one involved seems to think there is a problem. As fans we seem to like the way it works.

Is there anyone out there that sees my point? Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?

Ah, whatever.

I just look at it as a discussion and a way to spend the off season. I like to see all points of view. I never expect others to totally agree with me. More times then not I'm wrong or missing the point. I kinda look at all this as a morning discussion over the coffee pot or water cooler. I enjoy it.

As for the RFA issue I don't think I commented on it. I do see your point and the cards are stacked in favor of the owners. Owners are also a small club and stealing a prospect is probable not smiled on. The owners also have a investment to protect. I just hope the RFA rule doesn't become a chip in the new agreement talks. I think both sides are looking for an issue they can win and this one would probable be to contentious.

Maybe I read it to fast but JR didn't give me any warm fuzzies. Think JR need to move several people to get some balance on D, unless somebody turns into a quality 2-way D-man like Ryan Suter.

With Fehr at the head of the NHLPA the season, they will be lucky to start the season in January so there is additional time for trades ... hah!

I wouldn't exactly jump for joy if we don't make a move. I would be downright sorrowful if a new CBA isn't hammered out before mid-October

Don't know if anybody realized this, but the league has already cancelled the NHL Premier Games in Europe and several prospect tournaments are also going by the wayside in lieu of the upcoming CBA negotiations. A couple of decent reads:

NHL Lockout Fears Shouldn't Consume You Just Yet

NHL CBA Uncertainty Could Lead to Big FA Spending on July 1

The fact is, who knows how this will go, as it looks like Fehr won't start any discussions until after the Stanly Cup playoffs.

What's obvious to me is the players are now getting 57% of the revenues and the owners likely want to get to where the NHL and NBA are, more like 50/50 revenue sharing.

Edited by coastal_caniac

Don't know if anybody realized this, but the league has already cancelled the NHL Premier Games in Europe and several prospect tournaments are also going by the wayside in lieu of the upcoming CBA negotiations. A couple of decent reads:

NHL Lockout Fears Shouldn't Consume You Just Yet

NHL CBA Uncertainty Could Lead to Big FA Spending on July 1

The fact is, who knows how this will go, as it looks like Fehr won't start any discussions until after the Stanly Cup playoffs.

What's obvious to me is the players are now getting 57% of the revenues and the owners likely want to get to where the NHL and NBA are, more like 50/50 revenue sharing.

I didn't realize they had canceled the games in Europe. Thanks for posting the links.

Hello...JR....Sign John Muse now!!! Nice two way, two or three year deal Please.

http://www.echl.com/florida-s-muse-named-most-valuable-player-of-kelly-cup-playoffs-p177606

Just won the Kelly Cup, & was the ECHL Playoff MVP.

John Muse = Winner (2 NCAA Championships with BC, & Now an ECHL Kelly Cup in his first full pro season)

Please sign him now.

Edited by rocheccw

Hello...JR....Sign John Muse now!!! Nice two way, two or three year deal Please.

http://www.echl.com/florida-s-muse-named-most-valuable-player-of-kelly-cup-playoffs-p177606

Just won the Kelly Cup, & was the ECHL Playoff MVP.

John Muse = Winner (2 NCAA Championships with BC, & Now an ECHL Kelly Cup in his first full pro season)

Please sign him now.

Sounds like a good idea, especially with Murphy heading to the KHL. Glad to see some team in the organization did well this year. Go Blades!!

Remkin I like it better when you speculate about player movement and your dream winger. I might fall asleep after all this free agency talk.

Remkin I like it better when you speculate about player movement and your dream winger. I might fall asleep after all this free agency talk.

I'm done with it. I really just kind of made an observation based on Coastal pointing out how few times RFA has led to any movement. Then, like sometimes happened, it took on a life of it's own. I agree, it's not the most interesting of topics. But SOOOO little Canes stuff will happen until the playoffs are done. :faint: (is that a guy sleeping, or drunk?, either way).

I'm done with it. I really just kind of made an observation based on Coastal pointing out how few times RFA has led to any movement. Then, like sometimes happened, it took on a life of it's own. I agree, it's not the most interesting of topics. But SOOOO little Canes stuff will happen until the playoffs are done. :faint: (is that a guy sleeping, or drunk?, either way).

Yeah, I got a little carried away with the FA thing. I tend to do that sometimes. :blush:

This whole idea of another possible lockout has me on edge I guess. The last one is still fresh on my mind.

Looks like that topic isn't such a good one. Here's to sunnier days ahead. :beach:

What's D-Day for trades to start? Is it when the playoffs end or June 22 when the draft starts? Then we have to wait for July 1 for UFA to begin (I'm not bringing up RFA again!). Going to be a long month or two. Guess we'll still have to continue advising JR until then!!

What's D-Day for trades to start? Is it when the playoffs end or June 22 when the draft starts? Then we have to wait for July 1 for UFA to begin (I'm not bringing up RFA again!). Going to be a long month or two. Guess we'll still have to continue advising JR until then!!

Technically, I think they can actually trade now.

Technically, I think they can actually trade now.

If so, I hope JR has at least started some informal talks with Shero and other GM's!

Does anybody think Rask might be a real contender for a spot with the Canes next year?

His WHL stats this year are 33g, 30a, 63pts in 64 games.

Why is JR talking about Welsh more than Rask? :unsure:

Does anybody think Rask might be a real contender for a spot with the Canes next year?

His WHL stats this year are 33g, 30a, 63pts in 64 games.

Why is JR talking about Welsh more than Rask? :unsure:

This is what Ron Francis said when the signed Welsh:

“Of all of the college free agents available, we identified Jeremy as the one who most fit our organizational needs,” said Francis. “He provides another big body for us down the middle, and is a player who has shown character and leadership at the college level, in addition to scoring ability.”

He is also 24 and big 6'3" 200lbs.

Mid April Rutherford said:

“Based on a one-game snapshot of Welsh, he looks like a real good player based on what we’ve seen of him when we’ve scouted him,” Rutherford said. “That gives us another big center-ice man.”

I think they wanted Rask to get a taste of North American hockey and I think he is only 19. I'll bet he gets a look though

This is what Ron Francis said when the signed Welsh:

“Of all of the college free agents available, we identified Jeremy as the one who most fit our organizational needs,” said Francis. “He provides another big body for us down the middle, and is a player who has shown character and leadership at the college level, in addition to scoring ability.”

He is also 24 and big 6'3" 200lbs.

Mid April Rutherford said:

“Based on a one-game snapshot of Welsh, he looks like a real good player based on what we’ve seen of him when we’ve scouted him,” Rutherford said. “That gives us another big center-ice man.”

I think they wanted Rask to get a taste of North American hockey and I think he is only 19. I'll bet he gets a look though

I might catch a lot of slack for this, but a lot of Pittsburgh people have said it's going to take Sutter to get J.Staal. With guys like Welsh and Rask developing and waiting in the wings, I think it actually might be possible. Would it suck? Absolute 100% suckage. But it WOULD make the team better. And yes, any trade that involves J.Staal would involve a contract extension; so no, it's not just for one year of J.Staal.

With that being said, IF there is a way to acquire J.Staal without moving Sutter, that needs to be explored. But it's my opinion that Sutter shouldn't be a deal breaker.

I'm also not sure if waiting a year for J.Staal to be a UFA is the right move. A bidding war J.Staal may get pretty crazy..

Edited by jeromeo87

I might catch a lot of slack for this, but a lot of Pittsburgh people have said it's going to take Sutter to get J.Staal. With guys like Welsh and Rask developing and waiting in the wings, I think it actually might be possible. Would it suck? Absolute 100% suckage. But it WOULD make the team better. And yes, any trade that involves J.Staal would involve a contract extension; so no, it's not just for one year of J.Staal.

With that being said, IF there is a way to acquire J.Staal without moving Sutter, that needs to be explored. But it's my opinion that Sutter shouldn't be a deal breaker.

I'm also not sure if waiting a year for J.Staal to be a UFA is the right move. A bidding war J.Staal may get pretty crazy..

I was just reading tweets from Luke DeCock and he said in a tweet exchange a day ago the feeling at the end of the season was Welsh could skate third line center. If that were the case (pure speculation) Sutter could be 2nd line center next season.

With JR having said E. Staal can skate wing my guess is even if we got J. Staal ( much more speculation) we might not give up Sutter

. I wouldn't.

I'm having a hard time accepting the whole E.Staal to the wing talk. This guy consistently scores at least 70 pts every season - most of those pts come from the center position. I don't know why you would mess with that.

Besides, would E.Staal be ok with his brother taking his position?

I'm having a hard time accepting the whole E.Staal to the wing talk. This guy consistently scores at least 70 pts every season - most of those pts come from the center position. I don't know why you would mess with that.

Besides, would E.Staal be ok with his brother taking his position?

If by some miracle we get Jordan Staal, Eric will have to play wing unless we trade Sutter or Welsh. He would be the only one of the four centers talented enough to play wing at a high level. With that said, I think it is not an optimum idea.

There is no way in hell we should even think about trading Sutter. He is one of our best players.

IMO, if we get Jordan Staal, Brandon Sutter will be traded away either as part of a deal for Jordan or for a top tier wing. Don't get me wrong, Sutter is great at what he does for the Canes. But I'm sure, like Jordan, he does not want to be trapped as a 3rd line/checking center for his entire career. In the right situation, he could be somebody's 2nd line center now and get more PP time.

If there's no J. Staal, then Sutter may move up to our 2nd line and Welsh to the 3rd line. However, I know absolutely nothing about Welsh and I'm just following JR's lead on him! But he's mature, 24 years old, and a big body...since he was a free agent out of college, he must have been a late bloomer too.

I really do not like all this talk of Welsh,Rask,Murpy and Dumoulin stepping in to a roster spot off the hop. Unless the prospect is very special like Skinner and Faulk they require and benefit from time in the minors to develop. Welsh is a little older and could be ready for a limited role however the remainder of our prospects are a long shot to begin the season with the big club. I remember all the talk of Dalpe and Boychuk from last season and look how that turned out. I thought Bowman looked good in his limited time with the big club last season and could be ready. The team is still lacking two rugged wingers, one of which can score, a second or third line line center depending on where Sutter is slotted, and a shut down D-Man to replace Allen preferably on the right side to play with Pits. I am all for giving the young guys a shot but let them earn their shot in the minors. When an injury occurs call up the guy who has worked the hardest and is playing at his peak level.