The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
jeromeo87

2012 Off Season Discussion

Chip Alexander‏@ice_chip - Rumblings out of Columbus now louder about Canes' possible interest in trading for Nash. Question: what would Canes be willing to give up?

http://www.bluejacke...raft-nears.html

That is a good question. What would we give up for Nash. Our #8 pick I'm sure but then what. I'm trying not to get to excited about a possible Nash to Carolina deal but wouldn't that be nice.

It might not be possible but I don't want to see Sutter go.

Chip Alexander‏@ice_chip - Rumblings out of Columbus now louder about Canes' possible interest in trading for Nash. Question: what would Canes be willing to give up?

http://www.bluejacketsxtra.com/content/stories/2012/06/15/trade-talk-for-nash-heats-up-as-draft-nears.html

I would prefer to have a great number two center like J.Staal. Nash plays a solo kamikaze type game, Columbus has tried Nash with a multitude of centers and nothing has clicked. I just do not think he would fit in on this team. If we had Staal,Staal and Sutter down the middle I believe we could get by with the wingers that we already have. These centers would make our wingers look better and we could load up one line late in a game if a desperation goal was needed.

That is a good question. What would we give up for Nash. Our #8 pick I'm sure but then what. I'm trying not to get to excited about a possible Nash to Carolina deal but wouldn't that be nice.

It might not be possible but I don't want to see Sutter go.

http://www.bluejacketsxtra.com/content/stories/2012/05/12/nashs-appeal-should-grow-as-contenders-fall-short.html

According to that article, the Jackets were asking for Brandon Dubinsky, Ryan McDonagh or Michael Del Zotto, Derek Stepan or Carl Hagelin, Dreider and a 1st round pick. Another report was they wanted Dubinsky, another forward like Stepan, a prospect (not Kreider) and a 1st round pick, maybe 2. Not sure what what that would translate to for the Canes. A lot.

Would you guys give up Sutter, McBain, Tlusty/Boychuk/Dalpe/Bowman, and our 1st for Nash?

Good points here:

Cory Lavalette‏@corylav - I don't buy the Nash-to-Canes talk. Wonder if it's just a way to tell another team that they are willing to go elsewhere for top forward.

Cory Lavalette‏@corylav - Let's say, for example, Pitt is asking too much for JStaal. Maybe JR tosses his hat in the Nash talks to pressure Pitt on making a deal?

Michael Smith‏@MSmithCanes - If #CBJ's asking price for Nash is still as high as it (allegedly) was at the deadline, there's no way he goes anywhere.

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2012/06/15/report-up-to-seven-teams-express-significant-interest-in-rick-nash/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Edited by jeromeo87

http://www.bluejacke...fall-short.html

According to that article, the Jackets were asking for Brandon Dubinsky, Ryan McDonagh or Michael Del Zotto, Derek Stepan or Carl Hagelin, Dreider and a 1st round pick. Another report was they wanted Dubinsky, another forward like Stepan, a prospect (not Kreider) and a 1st round pick, maybe 2. Not sure what what that would translate to for the Canes. A lot.

Would you guys give up Sutter, McBain, Tlusty/Boychuk/Dalpe/Bowman, and our 1st for Nash?

Good points here:

Cory Lavalette‏@corylav - I don't buy the Nash-to-Canes talk. Wonder if it's just a way to tell another team that they are willing to go elsewhere for top forward.

Cory Lavalette‏@corylav - Let's say, for example, Pitt is asking too much for JStaal. Maybe JR tosses his hat in the Nash talks to pressure Pitt on making a deal?

Michael Smith‏@MSmithCanes - If #CBJ's asking price for Nash is still as high as it (allegedly) was at the deadline, there's no way he goes anywhere.

http://prohockeytalk..._medium=twitter

I will be very surprised if the Blue Jackets get anywhere near what they were asking for at trade deadline. My guess is a first round pick, a top 9 forward and a prospect.

I think Nash would play fine with Staal. That's just a guess.

We almost have to make a deal and we are probable going to overpay a little but if the asking price is to high we need to walk. I would rather have J. Staal but I think JR has to explore all options. We are at a point where we can't go into next season with the same roster.

I'll be surprised if Nash isn't traded prior to the draft. I don't know if Columbus is going to get what they were asking for at last season's trade deadline, but regardless the price will likely be steep.

Interesting times....

http://www.bluejacketsxtra.com/content/stories/2012/05/12/nashs-appeal-should-grow-as-contenders-fall-short.html

Good points here:

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2012/06/15/report-up-to-seven-teams-express-significant-interest-in-rick-nash/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

I'd only give up Sutter if we somehow had Jordan Staal under contract, otherwise I'd rather offer Tlusty or Jokinen. Rather see Joni go than McBain. Then we could offer any prospect(s) and/or Stewart or LaRose. Plus a 1st round pick (2012 or 2013) and maybe negotiating rights to Peters (...like to see Justin get a shot somewhere).

Edited by Bill_B

To Columbus: #8 pick, Pitkanen, Jokinen, Dalpe or Boychuk.

To Carolina: Nash.

That has Columbus picking #2, & #8. Plus adding a top 4 puck moving D, a top 9 versatile forward, & a prospect forward.

For Carolina it gets a first line winger for E. Staal, & clears part of the logjam of puck moving D.

Just my .02 cents!

That has Columbus picking #2, & #8. Plus adding a top 4 puck moving D, a top 9 versatile forward, & a prospect forward.

For Carolina it gets a first line winger for E. Staal, & clears part of the logjam of puck moving D.

Just my .02 cents!

I wish that would work.. but it probably woulndn't. With players like Wisniewski, Johnson, and even Tyutin, I think they are going to be looking for a cheaper option on D. All of those guys are making over $4 mil a year. In fact, McBain might even be a hard sell, since he's the same kind of d man as the rest of those guys. Also, I've come to realize that Jokinen is not as attractive around the league as he may be here in Carolina.

I think the real quesion is: Do we go after someone like Nash or J.Staal? Call me crazy, but I would go after J.Staal first. I'm a firm believer in having a strong center ice. Having both E.Staal and J.Staal down the middle for years would do wonders for this club.

I also think if you go out and get J.Staal that doens't mean you still can't get help for E.Staal. Maybe not Nash help, but a good solid top 6 guy like Setoguchi (btw, I think Minnesota is looking for some offensive dmen.. hmm..). Philly is looking to move some of their MANY young forwards; they too are looking for d help. Simmonds for McBain? J.Staal would be much cheaper than Nash, so you would have the extra pieces to make another deal.

Just what I think.

Edited by jeromeo87

Also, I've come to realize that Jokinen is not as attractive around the league as he may be here in Carolina.

Just what I think.

Fine with me...Jussi may not be as flashy or have had this past season the awesome year he had in 2011, but he still busts his *** every game. I'd say, dump Joni and Boychuk!

Just my .02 cents!

My only problem with that is trading Jussi. He is capable of 60 points and getting traded coming off a bad year.

If we traded Jussi, we need to find a replacement for him in addition to Nash to have a rock solid top 6.

That may be dobable, but probably not at his salary, plus, what FA out there replaces Jussi's potential, not many.

Plus Jussi took the home town deal also.

Nash does unlock the first line, so I wouldn't dismiss it out of hand though.

The more we look at a Nash or Parise, who would both be amazing additions but at huge cost, the better J.Staal looks if we could sign him.

If Parise goes UFA he will get crazy money from someone. Just great timing. The only guy with similar chops is Semin, and he carries a big warning tag on him. The bidding for Parise will get out of hand, and despite JR's new found exuberance to drop some dime, I just can't see us winning an all out bidding war against, well very many teams.

Still like trading up in the draft if we can get top 5.

Edited by remkin

My other one got buried at the top of next page, so had to add here.

JVR in Philly is also trade bait. Has been really struggling with injuries, but I think of Justin Williams who looked like he might be hobbled forever, has gotten past that and produced seriously in LA, and...has his name on the cup again.

JVR would be a guy to pick up if the deal took the injury history into account. I don't think he'd be the answer, but could be a really really good player if his injuries settle down. Might be kind of a JR pick up given those issues.

Trade up in the draft, take a shot at JVR. Two potentially elite young forwards.

Just another option while all eyes are on Nash, Parise, J.Staal.

I wish that would work.. but it probably woulndn't. With players like Wisniewski, Johnson, and even Tyutin, I think they are going to be looking for a cheaper option on D. All of those guys are making over $4 mil a year. In fact, McBain might even be a hard sell, since he's the same kind of d man as the rest of those guys. Also, I've come to realize that Jokinen is not as attractive around the league as he may be here in Carolina.

I think the real quesion is: Do we go after someone like Nash or J.Staal? Call me crazy, but I would go after J.Staal first. I'm a firm believer in having a strong center ice. Having both E.Staal and J.Staal down the middle for years would do wonders for this club.

I also think if you go out and get J.Staal that doens't mean you still can't get help for E.Staal. Maybe not Nash help, but a good solid top 6 guy like Setoguchi (btw, I think Minnesota is looking for some offensive dmen.. hmm..). Philly is looking to move some of their MANY young forwards; they too are looking for d help. Simmonds for McBain? J.Staal would be much cheaper than Nash, so you would have the extra pieces to make another deal.

Just what I think.

I would prefer J. Staal to Nash as well. But as a Pens fan I don't want to see Jordan go anywhere...but if he does get traded then I would like to see him with the Canes.

Staal would be a cheaper trade option even if he signs an extension as part of the deal, or the Pens offer some type of compensation back if he walks next year.

Still it would take more assets to get Nash.

I still like #8 overall, Plus Jokinen, & a forward prospect for a signed J. Staal to a four year extension.

Pens get #8, a top 9 versatile forward, & a prospect.

Canes get a strong second line center for the next five years! E. Staal, J. Staal, Sutter, & Brent down the middle is very strong.

Now way I trade Sutter for anyone unless he demands it.

Nash is tired of losing. He will want to go to a contender. Carolina is not a contender.

I think there's more to it than just being a contender. A lot of it probably has to do with who would be his center, the coaching staff, the future of the club, the young guys on the club, who is on the PP, etc.

Nash is tired of losing. He will want to go to a contender. Carolina is not a contender.

Shh...don't tell the '06 guys that!

Put Nash on the first line with Staal...we're a contender. Add a rental late...we're in.

I like your one liners you make to try to get people mad.

I like your one liners you make to try to get people mad.

I don't try and get people mad. I just type what I think is true. It may not be. But if I were Nash and had been stuck on the Jackets and losing for this many years, I would want to go somewhere that knew how to win. I could be wrong. Nobody knows. But that is just my opinion.

Probably most non Canes fans wouldn't think we are contenders. But when you look at how we finished the last season with our new coach, if we can play like that all year then I think realistically we're only one or two pieces away from being in the contender category. No matter what Vegas thinks.

well, the kings werent contenders till last few weeks , then look what they did.. In any sport, teams get on rolls, the snowball effect.. Not sure why, u think we wouldnt be a contender.Everyone sees what happens when Canes make playoffs.. never forget that Jussi goal with .01 or so left.. gave my wife and i chills..

I think there's more to it than just being a contender. A lot of it probably has to do with who would be his center, the coaching staff, the future of the club, the young guys on the club, who is on the PP, etc.

...and if each of those gets a check, then aren't the odds good that you are a contender. It might be similar to what Marian Hossa did a few years ago trying to win a cup. Don't get me wrong, I'd love for the Canes to get Nash (and J. Staal too!) but this could be a valid part of his decision process.

well, the kings werent contenders till last few weeks , then look what they did.. In any sport, teams get on rolls, the snowball effect.. Not sure why, u think we wouldnt be a contender.Everyone sees what happens when Canes make playoffs.. never forget that Jussi goal with .01 or so left.. gave my wife and i chills..

Thought the Kings were expected to do well at the beginning of 11/12 but fell into a funk during the season but then pulled it out. Kings had/have a much better nucleus of players that the 11/12 Canes.

I'm still holding on to hope that Parise is interested in coming here. And why shouldn't he? He wants to win, right? We have our all-star in E.Staal and one of the best franchise goalies in the league in Ward. Our secondary scoring is not bad at all. As I see it, we have 3 main needs. First line winger, second line center, reliable dman. If we could fill one or two of those holes, we're a playoff team, guys.

I don't know why, but I keep thinking our 2nd line center next year is going to be Olli Jokinen. I've never really bought into the idea of JR writing the check big enough to land Parise or Suter. O Jokinen, PA Parenteau, and/or Penner seem to be more JRish, as does maybe a Barret Jackman on defense. Maybe a trade with Philly for JVR.

Edited by super_dave_1

I don't know why, but I keep thinking our 2nd line center next year is going to be Olli Jokinen. I've never really bought into the idea of JR writing the check big enough to land Parise or Suter. O Jokinen, PA Parenteau, and/or Penner seem to be more JRish, as does maybe a Barret Jackman on defense. Maybe a trade with Philly for JVR.

Olli doesn't seem like a Muller kind of guy. Not really into playing defense..at all. Hope not.

Agree thought that the Parise check is going to be big. Very big.