The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
jeromeo87

2012 Off Season Discussion

Spectors Hockey quoting the Boston Globe said that Boston made a play for Spacek at the trade deadline but the price was to high. Indications are Spacek would have loved to play for the Bruins.

Boston.com

Am I the only that thinks this is just weird? I'm not sure why we held on to Spacek if someone was offering something..anything..

Anyone know if it's somewhat of a forgone conclusion that Dumoulin will sign after BC's season? I imagine if BC could win the NCAA championship there wouldn't be much of a reason to stick around, unless he really wants that piece of paper.

Maybe Matsumoto was traded to make room for Rask in Charlotte next season?

Rask can't play in Charlotte next season. He will either make the Canes roster or be sent back to Juniors since he is still 19. He just turn 19 on March 1st.

But he can play for Charlotte during the playoffs once his team The Hitman are eliminated from their playoffs. He would then need to be returned to The Hitman next season unless he makes the Canes roster.

Anyone know if it's somewhat of a forgone conclusion that Dumoulin will sign after BC's season? I imagine if BC could win the NCAA championship there wouldn't be much of a reason to stick around, unless he really wants that piece of paper.

Odds are pretty good that he will sign. He has already won one NCAA championship in his freshman year, & if he wins a second one then not much left for him to do at the college level.

He can always get that piece of paper through summer school. :tailgate:

Last year...I was shocked that Faulk signed after his freshman year, & Dumoulin didn't after his sophomore year.

Hopefully, Dumoulin will sign!!! :crossfingers:

Rask can't play in Charlotte next season. He will either make the Canes roster or be sent back to Juniors since he is still 19. He just turn 19 on March 1st.

But he can play for Charlotte during the playoffs once his team The Hitman are eliminated from their playoffs. He would then need to be returned to The Hitman next season unless he makes the Canes roster.

I was under the impression that the rules are European players are allowed to play in the AHL as long as they are 18?

I was under the impression that the rules are European players are allowed to play in the AHL as long as they are 18?

True, but he is not currently playing in Europe. Since the Canes & Rask decided to send him to the WHL Calgary Hitman for this season then he should be governed by junior rules. Which means he can't play in the AHL now until he is 20.

Canes did make the right move by sending him to juniors to expose him to the North American style of hockey instead of sending him back to Euorpe, or straight to the AHL as an 18YO(where he would have gotten killed).

It just might cost them an extra year of Rask development next year when he has to goes back to juniors. Still another year of Juniors is not a bad thing for such a young player.

Who knows maybe he makes the Skinner / Faulk leap and makes the Canes roster...

Odds are pretty good that he will sign. He has already won one NCAA championship in his freshman year, & if he wins a second one then not much left for him to do at the college level.

Dumoulin hasn't won an NCAA Championship. Maybe you have him confused with Faulk's NCAA championship last year? Dumoulin's Jr. Monarch team won an EJHL title, but certainly no NCAA title.

Calgary (CHL) drafted Rask and he began playing there after he was drafted by the Hurricanes, so by CHL rules, he can play in the AHL as long is he is 18 years old. Remember, Rask was "drafted" in the CHL European Import Draft.

I'd would find it very surprising if Rask didn't need another year of development before even being considered in Raleigh. Like someone above said, it's his first year in NA.

Edited by coastal_caniac

I thought if Rask was drafted by the Hurricanes he can go to the AHL but if he was drafted by an CHL team the CHL rule applied. But I'm not sure what happens if you are sent to the CHL after being drafted by the big club. If this isn't hockey's version of the infield fly rule I don't know what is.

I thought if Rask was drafted by the Hurricanes he can go to the AHL but if he was drafted by an CHL team the CHL rule applied. But I'm not sure what happens if you are sent to the CHL after being drafted by the big club. If this isn't hockey's version of the infield fly rule I don't know what is.

Re: European players - If a player was drafted directly out of the CHL draft, the (20-year old rule) applies; if the player started playing in the CHL after they were drafted by an NHL club, it does not, and the 18-year old rule kicks in.

Rask was classified as an "import" player because he was playing in Sweden at the time of being drafted by the Canes, and was subsequently drafted by Calgary in the CHL import draft.

Edited by coastal_caniac

Dumoulin hasn't won an NCAA Championship. Maybe you have him confused with Faulk's NCAA championship last year? Dumoulin's Jr. Monarch team won an EJHL title, but certainly no NCAA title.

BC was the 2010 NCAA Frozen Four Champion. Dumoulin was a freshman on that team.

Dumoulin AS A FRESHMAN (2009-10): Played in all 42 games ... earned Hockey East All-Rookie Team accolades ... captured the program's Bernie Burke Outstanding Freshman Award ... gained All-Tournament honors at the NCAA Frozen Four in Detroit, Mich., after he tallied three assists and a plus-four rating in victories over Miami (4/8) and Wisconsin (4/10) at Ford Field ...

http://www.ncaa.com/history/icehockey-men/nc

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/news/story?id=5074420

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/bracket?id=5015104

http://www.bceagles.com/sports/m-hockey/recaps/040910aaa.html

Sophomore Jimmy Hayes recorded one goal and one assist, while junior Brian Gibbons and freshmen Pat Mullane and Brian Dumoulin all tallied two assists for BC, which will play for the national title for the 10th time in school history and for the seventh time under head coach Jerry York.

Boston College will face Wisconsin, which defeated RIT 8-1 in Thursday's first national semifinal in the NCAA championship game on Saturday, April 10.

The youtube link is an interview with Dumoulin right before the 2010 NCAA Championship game. Audio stinks but it is him.

Edited by rocheccw

Speaking of the NCAA champion & Canes prospect Dumoulin.

You can watch him & the BC Eagles live on NBC sports network(old Verses channel) this Friday at 7:30pm.

7:30pm

Hockey East Tournament, Quarterfinal: Massachusetts at Boston College

College HockeyHockey East Tournament, Quarterfinal: Massachusetts at Boston College

Game 1.

Go Eagles!

Re: European players - If a player was drafted directly out of the CHL draft, the (20-year old rule) applies; if the player started playing in the CHL after they were drafted by an NHL club, it does not, and the 18-year old rule kicks in.

Rask was classified as an "import" player because he was playing in Sweden at the time of being drafted by the Canes, and was subsequently drafted by Calgary in the CHL import draft.

Thanks. So big club or juniors it is.

Thanks. So big club or juniors it is.

No, the opposite. :D It's only my interpretation of all these rules, but I think Rask would qualify to play in Charlotte since he's over 18 years old and drafted from Europe.

Disclaimer: But I could be wrong. :)

This would be a great question for Kaiton's Corner.

Edited by coastal_caniac

No, the opposite. :D It's only my interpretation of all these rules, but I think Rask would qualify to play in Charlotte since he's over 18 years old and drafted from Europe.

Disclaimer: But I could be wrong. :)

This would be a great question for Kaiton's Corner.

Alright then... It would be a great Kaiton Corner question. I have read the NHL/CHL age agreement but as you can see I'm still not sure what I have read. We could wait until next season to see what happens but I think Kaitons Corner may be the way to go.

If I remember correctly when he was drafted there was talk that he could either play in Charlotte or Raleigh, be drafted by a CHL team, or go back to Sweden. JR wanted Rask to stay in NA but wasn't sure if Rask was ready for a full season of the AHL so their preference was that he play in the CHL. Don't quote me on any of this though.

From the NHL.com, here are the details of Rask's ELC: Rask Signs ELC with Canes

A couple of excerpts, first on the contract:

..The deal pays Rask $550,000 in the first year, $650,000 in the second year and $750,000 in the third year at the NHL level, or he will make $70,000 per year at the minor-league level. He also receives a signing bonus of $277,500...

Then, JR:

..."I think it would be good for his maturity on and off the ice and to start to learn the North American culture and game," Rutherford told NHL.com. "Based on what I've seen, he's a guy that could play in the AHL or in junior hockey, so it'll boil down to what's the best for him and the best thing for him is to play somewhere where he'll play a lot of minutes and play in all situations."...

Sorry rocheccw, I was the confused one. :( ^^Thanks for posting those links, and the heads up on the game Friday.

No Worries...I'm a fan of BC hockey, & watched that game. I even hope he would sign after winning the championship. Even though that would hurt the Eagles it would help the Canes. He was a +40 his freshman year.

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/prospect/Brian_Dumoulin

Just like Faulk...I hope Dumoulin was a second round steal!!!

Your probably right on the Rask situation...it is so confusing. I would like to see Rask in the AHL next season...with a few call ups to Raleigh. Great question for Chuck or John.

Edited by rocheccw

Sent this to Michael Smith with the Canes front office:

Victor Rask:

Drafted out of Europe, but sent to play in the WHL with the Calgary Hitmen via the import draft. Then signed by the Canes.

My question is what rules does Rask fall under for where he can play next season?

Is it Canes or back to Juniors, or do the Canes have the option of sending him to Charlotte next season?

Just sent it to Paul as well...Thanks!

Edited by rocheccw

Paul Branecky in Charlotte is quite knowledgable and seems to go out of his way to answer questions. Might want try him as well.

Paul Branecky in Charlotte is quite knowledgable and seems to go out of his way to answer questions. Might want try him as well.

From Paul:

As a player drafted from a European league (he played in Sweden last season), he was actually eligible to play in Charlotte THIS season, but the organization felt it was better for him to play a year of junior hockey first in a starring role rather than be limited on what was already a deep team in Charlotte. The AHL’s rule about needing to be 20 by Dec. 31 of given year only applies to players drafted out of the Canadian junior system, like Ryan Murphy, Jeff Skinner, etc.

That being said, I think there’s a pretty good chance Rask will be a Checker next season. Depending on what happens with his junior team in the playoffs, we might even see him in Charlotte in a few months. He would need to sign a contract with Carolina first, which I don’t believe he’s done yet, but I don’t see that being an issue.

Hope that helps! Thanks for the email.

Paul

Of course Rask has already signed his entry level contract back in October, but Paul has been busy with the Checkers. Really, happy to know that he can play in the AHL next season, & be available for call ups to Raleigh!

A quick update on Victor Rask - he's now got 30 goals and 25 assists for 55 points in 57 games for Calgary. They've clinched a playoff spot.

I'm trying to put this into some kind of perspective. He's third on his team, the two guys ahead of him have been playing on the team other seasons and are older than him. He's #54 in scoring in the league, but again, this is his first year, and adjusting to North American Hockey. He has 55 points, the top guy in the league has 120 points.

So hard to judge prospects. Sounds like he is progressing very nicely, but not lighting the world on fire. But perhaps for a first year and age adjusted it is pretty darned good.

Sutter never put up that kind of ppg in juniors while Skinner put up 90.

Deferring to those with more skill at reading junior stats, it seems like his numbers are very good, considering his age and his first year of juniors, but perhaps not not eye popping?

Edited by remkin

No Worries...I'm a fan of BC hockey, & watched that game. I even hope he would sign after winning the championship. Even though that would hurt the Eagles it would help the Canes. He was a +40 his freshman year.

http://www.hockeysfu.../Brian_Dumoulin

Just like Faulk...I hope Dumoulin was a second round steal!!!

An offensive, play making defenseman, Dumoulin plays with the poise of a much more experienced player despite a relatively limited background of high school hockey in Maine and one year of junior hockey in the EJHL. Despite his height (6'3") he skates with the fluidity of a much smaller player and is reliable in his defensive zone.<br style="margin-top: 0px; margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 0px; margin-left: 0px; padding-top: 0px; padding-right: 0px; padding-bottom: 0px; padding-left: 0px; ">

(from hockeysfuture the link above).

When I read that and project forward they are describing a guy on our roster, Joni. Of course may not be quite as much of a roamer (who is). They project him as a 3-4 pairing guy, but then again they list Justin Faulk as our 3rd best prospect and Boychuk as "graduated' to the big club. Still if we don't move McBain, I can't imagine us going into next year with Dumoulin, McBain, Murphy, and Faulk. Now I know Faulk plays with a preternatural own end steadiness, but McBain is still figuring that part out and we'd be crazy young back there. Murphy is going to break into camp and dazzle. He is going to get his 10 game tryout, and if he makes a few cool moves....I bet we don't send him back. That will all but assure Dumoulin gets most of the year in Charlotte. Given how long it usually takes non Faulk's to learn the position, that is not all bad.

Edited by remkin