The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
jeromeo87

2012 Off Season Discussion

This should put an end to all the Jordan Staal trade speculation, at least for now. From Josh Yohe, a Pens beat writer who talked directly to Ray Shero:

“You can’t have it both ways,” he (Shero) said. “I can’t try to negotiate a contract with Jordan and a trade with another team at the same time. It doesn’t work that way. We don’t want to trade Jordan. We think we can sign him, and we’re going to try.” He has 3 days to try if he wants to get a nice pick in exchange

Penguins general manager Ray Shero admitted today that numerous teams have inquired about the availability of center Jordan Staal.

Shero’s reply is simple: Staal isn’t available. Not yet anyway

Despite steady speculation all summer that Staal could be traded this summer, Shero will attempt to sign the center to a long-term contract. Sure, he can try all he wants but that doesn't mean he's not available

“He told me he likes it here,” Shero said. “Told me he wants to stay, that he likes Pittsburgh and likes being a Penguin.” Jordan is still under contract with the Pens for another year so did you really think he'd say he doesn't like the team, Pittsburgh or being a Penguin?

Shero and Staal’s agent have had “general discussions” about a new deal. "General discussions" isn't exactly screaming he's staying put to me :)

Full Article Here

Sorry Coastal but this doesn't put an end to anything for me and the fact that Shero felt like he needed to go public with this tells me there's a lot going on behind closed doors and things may be heating up.

I would jump on the Semin bandwagon. If JR thinks he'll put forth the effort we need from him and he'd fit in with the team. Maybe he would come here to stick it to Washington if he is upset about anything. Not sure if he is though.

Sorry Coastal but this doesn't put an end to anything for me and the fact that Shero felt like he needed to go public with this tells me there's a lot going on behind closed doors and things may be heating up.

I did say "for now" didn't I?

I did say "for now" didn't I?

Yup you did so you're right, this should put all the speculation to rest for about......3 days. ;)

Yup you did so you're right, this should put all the speculation to rest for about......3 days. ;)

Yeah, I probably should have just posted up the link and let everyone form their own conclusion. My main point was I didn't expect Staal to be traded at the draft and this article only furthers that belief IMO only.

It's funny I got jumped on when I questioned whether JR could follow through on all his big talk, and suggested all it was is talk....

but when Shero says something folks are quick to debunk it coming from another GM....

That's how it goes around here I guess.

Edited by coastal_caniac

Bob McKenzie just tweeted that Bobby Ryan IS available. And..... GO!

Great! Bet JR has been talking to them, since we are likely not to get Nash. Trade for Ryan, buy Semin in FA, and get Jordan Staal as a UFA next year. Whoops not my checkbook. Ryan would be a great young pick-up and is a consistent 30+ goal scorer. Is McKenzie ever wrong? HAH!

Edited by Bill_B

Ok, I'll ask...any idea of the price?

The 6'2", 209 lb native of Cherry Hill, New Jersey has three seasons remaining on a five-year, $25.5 million contract that he signed with the Ducks prior to the 2010-11 season. The annual cap hit for the deal is $5.1 million per season.

The best I can find is speculation the Ducks might want to rebuild their blue line and stock up on prospects. The speculation is that Ryan on the market could bring down the asking price for Nash. Flyers and Rangers are being projected as teams to have interest in Ryan if he is available. We are projected to be in the mix too.

#8 overall, top prospect, & maybe a roster player???

Bigger question what does The Ducks need? Please say D...Please say D.

He would look great beside Staal!!!

Per Beacher Report: "The Ducks are thin on forward depth outside of their big three, could stand to upgrade their defense and would love to strengthen their prospect pool.

Ryan is a three-time 30-goal scorer who has gradually improved each year. He is worth every penny because of his size, skill and cap-friendly contract."

So I'd hope they would take a couple of NHL'ers (2-top 9 or top 6 and d-man), a couple of prospects (Bowman? & Sanguinetti?), and a 1st round pick. Around the trade deadline their GM said he didn't want draft picks but that's probably because he wanted players that could play then as they challenged for a playoff spot. Now I think a draft pick could be part of a deal.

I've been a Ryan bigot since last Dec, so I think this is great news. He's young, big, and can find the back of net consistently.

#8 overall, top prospect, & maybe a roster player???

Bigger question what does The Ducks need? Please say D...Please say D.

He would look great beside Staal!!!

IMO you are short-changing the Ducks with that offer. Ducks seem to need some of everything.

Edited by Bill_B

OK, I'm getting exuberant and most likely irrational at the possibility of having a chance at either Ryan or Nash at RW. If JR can trade for one of them and then pick-up a UFA LW like Semin, the Canes could have very dynamic top 6.

Then JR can look at getting that gritty bottom 6 UFA forward like Taylor Pyatt or Travis Moen and a shut-down defenseman.

Pray JR can close one of those trades this week!

Per Beacher Report: "The Ducks are thin on forward depth outside of their big three, could stand to upgrade their defense and would love to strengthen their prospect pool.

So I'd hope they would take a couple of NHL'ers (2-top 9 or top 6 and d-man), a couple of prospects (Bowman? & Sanguinetti?), and a 1st round pick. Around the trade deadline their GM said he didn't want draft picks but that's probably because he wanted players that could play then as they challenged for a playoff spot. Now I think a draft pick could be part of a deal.

I've been a Ryan bigot since last Dec, so I think this is great news. He's young, big, and can find the back of net consistently.

It's starting to get real interesting around here!

Forward Depth: LaRose? Dwyer (don't kill me Dwyer fans)

Defense: Pitkanen or McBain

Prospects: Dalpe and Boychuk and one of our second rounders, or both?

Pitkanen, LaRose, Dalpe, Boychuk and one of our second rounders.

Yes, I'd move the #8 pick into that mix if needed.

Bobby Ryan gets it done and at a decent salary too. If we can get this done and not give up any of our top 6 guys up front...nice.....also keep our #8 pick super bonus.

BRyan EStaal Tlusty

Skins and Fins

Bowman Sutter Dwyer (or LaRose)

Add a trade deadline rental....yup.

Pick up J.Staal next year and we are good to go for at least another 2 years after that.

Edited by remkin

It's starting to get real interesting around here!

Forward Depth: LaRose? Dwyer (don't kill me Dwyer fans)

Defense: Pitkanen or McBain

Prospects: Dalpe and Boychuk and one of our second rounders, or both?

Pitkanen, LaRose, Dalpe, Boychuk and one of our second rounders.

Yes, I'd move the #8 pick into that mix if needed.

Bobby Ryan gets it done and at a decent salary too. If we can get this done and not give up any of our top 6 guys up front...nice.....also keep our #8 pick super bonus.

BRyan EStaal Tlusty

Skins and Fins

Bowman Sutter Dwyer (or LaRose)

Add a trade deadline rental....yup.

Pick up J.Staal next year and we are good to go for at least another 2 years after that.

Sounds like you drank the same kool-aid I did! I'd make a slight change to your lineup and put Semin in place of Tlusty!

And then move Tlusty to replace Dwyer (if we still have him) with Patty going to the 4th line.

For the last month, I've read just about every trade proposal involving the Canes in just about every place I can think of, and it strikes me as funny that not once have I seen Tlusty's name brought up in any trade proposals.

No point really, just find that interesting.

Edited by coastal_caniac

For the last month, I've read just about every trade proposal involving the Canes in just about every place I can think of, and it strikes me as funny that not once have I seen Tlusty's name brought up in any trade proposals.

No point really, just find that interesting.

Or Bowman. I was wondering about him being a possible piece. Like to keep him, but still.

Sounds like you drank the same kool-aid I did! I'd make a slight change to your lineup and put Semin in place of Tlusty!

And then move Tlusty to replace Dwyer (if we still have him) with Patty going to the 4th line.

Love your optimism. Still, that would be an amazing line up.

I still like trade for J Staal, buy Semin.

I really think Tlusty is going to break out this year though, so in reality:

One big piece now, then a trade deadline rental or trade to get over.

About this time today in 06 I was having a defining moment...

oh wow good call. I can still remember everyone on their feet for the whole game. Locked me in as a fan.

Come on down for the risin'!

I had hoped that the Scorpions would make a surprise appearance and play "Rock Me Like a Hurricane" live.

Let's get back there!

Edited by remkin

I want to throw out a free agent name people haven't said...........Jagr. He did put up 50+ pts at 40. We could sign him to a 1yr deal and give the locker room the biggest jolt since Francis (Former teammate). If the hurricanes are to have any shot at a free agent they need to do something before july 1st. Otherwise that'll put a lot of pressure on themselves.

Bob McKenzie‏@TSNBobMcKenzie - If ANA moves Ryan I suspect it would be for two or three building block pieces that would increase organizational depth but not payroll.

Without increasing payroll? That adds an interesting wrinkle..

Also, I like this JR interview video. He sounds pretty determined to get THAT player.

http://www.wralsportsfan.com/hurricanes/story/11226248/

I'll be very happy if we can get any two from this list...

Rick Nash

Z. Parise (FA)

Jordan Staal

A. Semin (FA)

PA Parenteau (FA)

Ray Whitney (FA)

Evander Kane

While Nash would be AWESOME, landing two FA from above allows us to keep everything we have (ie: Brandon S, Faulk, #8 pick etc)

Edited by Greg-N-Ral

I think we are going to continue to see more players become available as the draft nears. It appears to me that nobody wants to be left out in this years draft feeding frenzy. The list above is tantalizing.I'm beginning to lean toward a deal for Evander Kane but of course this is just playing what if. If the rumors are true about what the Ducks might want for Ryan then we have the pieces to get him but If Parise were to sign a new contract with Nj before the draft then that price would go up.

I usually find all this speculation fun but this year I'm finding it unsettling.

Glad JR doesn't read anything on the forums. I'd never in a million years pay the asking price for Nash or for what I anticipate they'll want for Bobby Ryan. Our most pressing need is at center. We need a legit 2nd line center for this team. I am perfectly content with us starting the year with the wingers we have, IF it means getting depth down center. I look across the league and the most successful teams have depth down center. Heck, on most teams I can't even tell you who plays wing. It seldom matters as long as they are average at what they do. If all our wings average 20 goals, 40+ points, on our first two lines, and our centers do 30 goals and 60+ points... Well, we're in the mix. Yes, it'd be nice to have a superstar wing or two, but we've got potential on wing already. Jokinen, Ruu, Skinner, Tlusty... I think that's adequate for the top two lines. Selling the future (Sutter, pick) for the a wing when we have such a glaring hole at center isn't really going to improve the team. We drop Sutter for Nash and the hole gets bigger. No true second line center and no third line center. I don't see that team going very far even if Nash has an outstanding career. At least with depth down center we have two solid PP units, a decent PK unit with Sutter. And when we shuffle the proverbial deck chairs, at least we're capable of sparking something. Depth down center... That's our most pressing need.

If any trades need to be made to acquire a players rights I'd do something to land a solid blue liner (Suter) and throw whatever I could at Pitt to acquire J Staal.