The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
jeromeo87

2012 Off Season Discussion

Bob McKenzie‏@TSNBobMcKenzie - If ANA moves Ryan I suspect it would be for two or three building block pieces that would increase organizational depth but not payroll.

Without increasing payroll? That adds an interesting wrinkle..

Also, I like this JR interview video. He sounds pretty determined to get THAT player.

http://www.wralsportsfan.com/hurricanes/story/11226248/

If that is all it would take then throw #8, McBain/Murphy/or Sags, & Dalpe /or Bowman for Ryan.

Ducks would pick at #6 & #8, get a cheap NHL ready D, & an NHL ready forward prospect.

Canes get first line wing for Staal for next three years, but still need a second line center.

Edited by rocheccw

Players I wouldn't mind throwing absolutely anything at:

Ryan Suter

Jordan Staal

Rick Nash

Players I wouldn't mind acquiring for the right price:

Bobby Ryan

Matt Moulson (but without using #26 :[)

Evander Kane

Marc Staal

Alexander Semin

Oh and this: STLTODAY.COM: Jeremy Rutherford reports Blues GM Doug Armstrong is in the market for a top-four defenseman.

Who does St Louis have as far as top 3/top 6 talent goes?

Players I wouldn't mind throwing absolutely anything at:

Ryan Suter

Jordan Staal

Rick Nash

Players I wouldn't mind acquiring for the right price:

Bobby Ryan

Matt Moulson (but without using #26 :[)

Evander Kane

Marc Staal

Alexander Semin

Oh and this: STLTODAY.COM: Jeremy Rutherford reports Blues GM Doug Armstrong is in the market for a top-four defenseman.

Who does St Louis have as far as top 3/top 6 talent goes?

Don't think I'd put Jordan Staal in that top grouping but I could see Ryan or Kane there. The Canes probably don't have the assets to do two top-tier trades but they could do one top-tier trade and one top-tier UFA. It's going to be an interesting few days ahead for the Canes!

Despite the past, I really feel JR will make some sort of move this offseason for someone who isn't just a 20 goal scorer or a guy past his prime. There is all this talk about Rick Nash and Zach Parise, but I don't think anyone is realizing they might not be the best guys available..First off, I'd like to say a big NO on Alex Semin. Yes, he can put up points and he is somewhat of a star player, but he is not a team player and he would definitely not help the team moral nor help in the locker room. He is inconsistent, lazy, and really can cause problems. Overpaying him and giving him a multiyear deal would be a big mistake and JR knows that. Now if we can sign Parise great, but that probably won't happen. Nash's asking price is too high so I wouldn't go after him. The guy I'm looking at who has been involved in trade rumors before if Evander Kane who I think would be the best out of everyone anyways. In 74 games, he scored 30 goals and had 57 points and that was with a poorly offensive team in Winnipeg. May I also remind you that he is 21 years old...that gives him probably 10 years in his prime. Imagine what he could do with Staal and as he continues to develop and become better.

Bobby Ryan would also be good and don't be suprised to see Ray Whitney again as he has expressed desire to retire here..On a final note, I'd love to sign 2 gritty 4th line players who can hit and drop the gloves whenever. I like Shawn Thornton, Brandon Prust, and Taylor Pyatt as possible guys. Just my thoughts...Also, with the 8th pick I'm all for Teuvo Teravainen as he will become a star despite his small frame (only 17, could still grow and will game muscle mass). If he isn't there and no one falls to us, trade the pick.

Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie - My take on Jordan Staal situation: PIT doesn't want to trade him, wants to sign him and may make him a long-term (7 to 10 yrs maybe?) offer.

Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie - At that point, it would be up to Staal to commit long term to Pens or not sign. If it's not, PIT would have to explore trade options.

Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie - IF outcome is trading Staal, PIT's return/field of teams SEVERELY limited by fact Staal 1 yr from UFA. No team pays big for 1 yr rental.

Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie - So even in trade scenario, Staal drives bus to large degree.

If that is the case, I think that would be a very difficult decision for J.Staal. One: he would be playing behind Crosby and Malkin for the better part of his career; and Two: Unless his role changes, he isn't really going to have the opportunity to expand his wings as much and really put up the points he's going to want to put up; Three: I don't see how Pittsburgh can offer him the money that he could get somewhere else. I don't see Pittsburgh paying their 3rd line center $6-7 mil.

I don't see J.Staal, Crosby or Malkin being moved to the wing. J.Staal would be stuck on the third line, playing with third liners for many years.. Tough call.

Edited by jeromeo87

The way Pittsburgh's GM is talking I'd be shocked if JStaal is traded this off season. Unless the new new CBA doesn't raise the cap maybe. Maybe at this years trade deadline if Staal still isn't signed then they trade him. So without Staal and if we miss out on Nash and Ryan I say go for Kane and maybe also JVR from Philly.

Mark Spector Sports ‏@SportsnetSpec - I believe you can dismiss any Carolina trade including J.Faulk's name. "Will be w/Hurricanes 4 a long time," GM J.Rutherford tells us.

Good.

I still don't think PIttsburgh signs Staal. I pay very very little mind to the GM speak. Unless Staal wants to lock in his career as a third line center, forget it. At some point he is moving. PIttsburgh knows it too and is trying to create as strong a hand as possible. No way is he going to say, "Yes we need to move him fast. Who'll give me something for him?"

Also as mentioned, JR aint trading Faulk.

The way Pittsburgh's GM is talking I'd be shocked if JStaal is traded this off season. Unless the new new CBA doesn't raise the cap maybe. Maybe at this years trade deadline if Staal still isn't signed then they trade him. So without Staal and if we miss out on Nash and Ryan I say go for Kane and maybe also JVR from Philly.

I think for JR this month, it's between Nash and Ryan.

Kane is not currently available and is an RFA. There's been some unconfirmed speculation he doesn't want to be with the Jets but who knows. He would be a great catch though. IMO I don't think JVR is in the same class as Nash, Ryan, and Kane. These guys are top-tier now.

Despite the past, I really feel JR will make some sort of move this offseason for someone who isn't just a 20 goal scorer or a guy past his prime. There is all this talk about Rick Nash and Zach Parise, but I don't think anyone is realizing they might not be the best guys available..First off, I'd like to say a big NO on Alex Semin. Yes, he can put up points and he is somewhat of a star player, but he is not a team player and he would definitely not help the team moral nor help in the locker room. He is inconsistent, lazy, and really can cause problems. Overpaying him and giving him a multiyear deal would be a big mistake and JR knows that. Now if we can sign Parise great, but that probably won't happen. Nash's asking price is too high so I wouldn't go after him. The guy I'm looking at who has been involved in trade rumors before if Evander Kane who I think would be the best out of everyone anyways. In 74 games, he scored 30 goals and had 57 points and that was with a poorly offensive team in Winnipeg. May I also remind you that he is 21 years old...that gives him probably 10 years in his prime. Imagine what he could do with Staal and as he continues to develop and become better.

Bobby Ryan would also be good and don't be suprised to see Ray Whitney again as he has expressed desire to retire here..On a final note, I'd love to sign 2 gritty 4th line players who can hit and drop the gloves whenever. I like Shawn Thornton, Brandon Prust, and Taylor Pyatt as possible guys. Just my thoughts...Also, with the 8th pick I'm all for Teuvo Teravainen as he will become a star despite his small frame (only 17, could still grow and will game muscle mass). If he isn't there and no one falls to us, trade the pick.

If we trade for a top tier player, the #8 pick will probably not be there. BTW: Ryan had 31 goals and 57 points in 64 games when he was 21/22. Now that he's 25, he's put up 30+ goals each year. Kane is good but this is his 1st 30-goal year. I'm just adding some perspective and would not turndown either one! As for gritty players, believe JR wants one with some real offensive skill and not just a goon. Personally, I'd like Ryane Clowe of SJS but he's probably a little pricy for a trade, assuming we have to trade for a top-tier wing.

Long time lurker, first time poster:

Agreed that the price for Nash right now is too high. There are two high end forwards that I'm watching right now and they both have the same last name.

1. Evander Kane - Nothing official yet, but there have been more than a few reports about his unhappiness with Winnipeg. I imagine he would cost an arm and a leg, but he may be worth it.

2. Patrick Kane - Interesting that there has been little mention of him. There is some baggage with his off the ice antics, but I wonder if the low pressure environment of Raleigh would be what he needs to help with that maturity. 6.33 mil/year average and probably with the baggage comes at a much cheaper price than Nash.

Long time lurker, first time poster:

Agreed that the price for Nash right now is too high. There are two high end forwards that I'm watching right now and they both have the same last name.

1. Evander Kane - Nothing official yet, but there have been more than a few reports about his unhappiness with Winnipeg. I imagine he would cost an arm and a leg, but he may be worth it.

2. Patrick Kane - Interesting that there has been little mention of him. There is some baggage with his off the ice antics, but I wonder if the low pressure environment of Raleigh would be what he needs to help with that maturity. 6.33 mil/year average and probably with the baggage comes at a much cheaper price than Nash.

I will show up from Oklahoma just to constantly sit behind the bench and DOG Patrick Kane all game long...THAT'S how much I can't stand the guy. He's another prima donna punk like Ovechkin and Malkin and I want NO part of him on the Hurricanes bench!

It should be worth noting that Sidney Crosby is entering the final year of his current deal.

Now, we should all assume that Ray Shero will move heaven and earth to keep Sid a Pen, but this begs the question: how much is it gonna cost?

If the cap goes to $70 M as many predict, Sid is entitled to up to $14 M a year. Even if he doesn't get that much, he should get north of $10 M per. This will affect Jordan Staal's availability, in my opinion. Either Shero will move Staal to make cap room, or he will try to short Staal and try to get him to sign for less than his true market value.

So yeah, I don't see Staal staying in a Pens uni for much longer. Does he end up in Raleigh? Your guess is as good as mine.

Our stated goal going into the off-season was a top winger for Staal, a tough 4th loner and help on defense. The Jordan Staal possible availability diverted this attention. As JR said you can't pass up a player like J. Staal if you can get him. He also said Eric could skate wing which would indicate to me we haven't given up the original goal of a top winger, grittier 4th liner and d-man.

My guess is if we don't get J. Staal that Sutter gets the shot at second line center. Maybe Brent gets a shot at 3rd line. We must have a plan for 3rd and 4th line center.

Just thinking out loud.

x

http://www.truehocke...rth-Considering

According to this guy, J.Staal will not be resigning in Pittsburgh

If that's true, Staal's value just took a nosedive. I think Pens fans are gonna be butthurt when he does get moved for a lot less than they expect in exchange.

Shero's card were pretty poor going into this hand, and the flop ain't doing him any favours (pardon the extended poker metaphor).

..First off, I'd like to say a big NO on Alex Semin. Yes, he can put up points and he is somewhat of a star player, but he is not a team player and he would definitely not help the team moral nor help in the locker room. He is inconsistent, lazy, and really can cause problems[

/i]

also, from what I cam understand he has made no effort to learn the English language

Well if JR can add at least one of these big names I'm sure it'll probably make the Canes a more attractive team for future UFAs. Shows players he's serious about winning.

..First off, I'd like to say a big NO on Alex Semin. Yes, he can put up points and he is somewhat of a star player, but he is not a team player and he would definitely not help the team moral nor help in the locker room. He is inconsistent, lazy, and really can cause problems[

/i]

also, from what I cam understand he has made no effort to learn the English language

If the Canes do go after Semin it would probably be around the $7M for 7 yrs range, so we will have to believe that JR and Francis have done an elaborate job of vetting him.

If the Canes do go after Semin it would probably be around the $7M for 7 yrs range, so we will have to believe that JR and Francis have done an elaborate job of vetting him.

Where did you get $7 for 7?

If that's true, Staal's value just took a nosedive. I think Pens fans are gonna be butthurt when he does get moved for a lot less than they expect in exchange.

Shero's card were pretty poor going into this hand, and the flop ain't doing him any favours (pardon the extended poker metaphor).

If this is true it does put Shero in a tough spot. Yet J. Staal's value should be reasonable because we aren't the only team that would like to have him. The Rangers were mentioned as a possible place J. Staal would be interested in playing. Saying that I expect the trade would have a conditional term if the new team signs him and Pens fans can forget a BIG payback for Staal they seem to think they should get.