The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
jeromeo87

2012 Off Season Discussion

http://www.truehockey.com/articles/Kuba-Worth-Considering

According to this guy, J.Staal will not be resigning in Pittsburgh

Still believe Shero will not move him this summer to see if he can get more value after the draft and FA frenzies have cooled. But if he can't sign Jordan, I don't think he will carry him until the trade deadline. As competitive as hockey players are, I can't see Jordan being content to be a 3rd line center for all his prime years.

For the Canes, it will be tough to do two significant trades (Nash/Ryan and Staal)this summer. Believe they can handle a significant trade and a significant UFA signing. Of course if this article is true, Staal's value may drop enough to make it possible.

Where did you get $7 for 7?

I think I extrapolated (made-up) from something his agent said in an interview in May. It was something to the effect that Semin was more interested in long-term security than salary. He was making $6.7; so after an off year for him, he might be obtained for $7-7.5 if he got a 5-7 year contract. Probably wishful thinking on my part, if he could even past muster with JR.

Still believe Shero will not move him this summer to see if he can get more value after the draft and FA frenzies have cooled. But if he can't sign Jordan, I don't think he will carry him until the trade deadline. As competitive as hockey players are, I can't see Jordan being content to be a 3rd line center for all his prime years.

For the Canes, it will be tough to do two significant trades (Nash/Ryan and Staal)this summer. Believe they can handle a significant trade and a significant UFA signing. Of course if this article is true, Staal's value may drop enough to make it possible.

Just as well. If we wait, we can use our first to land us a big fish like Ryan and then take advantage of leverage to pry Staal away from Pittsburgh for a couple of prospects. Worst case scenario, Staal goes UFA and we take our shot next Canada Day.

No real downside here, really.

I think I extrapolated (made-up) from something his agent said in an interview in May. It was something to the effect that Semin was more interested in long-term security than salary. He was making $6.7; so after an off year for him, he might be obtained for $7-7.5 if he got a 5-7 year contract. Probably wishful thinking on my part, if he could even past muster with JR.

I don't see anyone signing him for 7 seasons. His past 3 contracts have been 1, 1, and 2 seasons. Someone might gamble an give him 5 but my guess is he'll get 3-4 at most.

From jerome87's linked story:

"Sources tell me Staal has indicated to GM Ray Shero that he will not be re-signing with the club once his contract officially expires. "

Not sure if this guy's sources are good, but if so, well I guess that's what I've been saying!!!

Now get him over here already.

Anyone wonder why PK/JR is suddenly willing to pay big bucks to get E Staal a winger? Didn't pay Whitney, or Cole bc too much cash. Now he is looking at someone like Nash or Parise? My GUESS is A. PK Realized no one wants to invest in the team bc they suck or B. E Staal is unhappy.

Those who are suppose to be in the know seem to think things will begin to happen today. I guess we will see.

Anyone wonder why PK/JR is suddenly willing to pay big bucks to get E Staal a winger? Didn't pay Whitney, or Cole bc too much cash. Now he is looking at someone like Nash or Parise? My GUESS is A. PK Realized no one wants to invest in the team bc they suck or B. E Staal is unhappy.

Could be that. Gotta spend money to make money. Despite the critics, we are NOT that far off.

Or it could be the fact that now the hole that Tom Thewes's death left has been filled, we can start opening the wallets.

I think several things are in play here. As Ironman said, PK had to sell off the part of the team that Tom Thewes owned and settle with his heirs. Putting the team in a negative cash flow position is not the way to do that. Whitney was looking for a 3 year deal when he was about 37 years old. I don't blame JR at all for not doing that. JR was trying to sign Cole, but Montreal let Cole write his own contract. I can't blame JR for not matching that.

Another aspect is that I think JR was putting a little too much faith in his ability to scavenge everybody else's scraps and find replacements in guys like Poni and Stewart. After missing the playoffs in all years except for 08/09 after raising the Cup in 06, I think PK and JR are smart enough to realize what they have been doing isn't successful and know they need to make a change.

Wonder what the odds are we take the next Sutter (Lukas) at 38th overall? Projected to go 41st. It wouldn't bother me.

As a current sports management master student there could be a few things that I have learned that could contribute to this.

As mentioned before he sold off parts of the team. On the surface this means that he is no longer taking all the risk of the bills. 75% of the risk of a higher salary team may be as much financial risk as 100% of financial risk of what the Canes have been at recently. Granted I am not sure of the total amount of the team he sold off so that 25% was just pure example. You can understand what I am getting at with this. On top of that he can take the money he got from selling parts of it and reinvest it in the team.

Down deeper (of course I dont know the finances of the deals) PK could have sold parts of the teams for cheaper than what they worth. Why would anyone do that? Perfectly good reason actually. It reduces the value of the organization. And just like anywhere else in life if something is of lower value then that means less taxes to be paid. Owners use this technique a lot across sports to save money. They will "sell" parts of the team to family members or life long friends for much lower that its worth to lower their taxes. Granted this doesnt mean that PK did that but it is a good possibilty.

PK is probably getting a lot of pressure from the teams' investors. The fans are upset but the ones who have risked their own money might be upset at the returns on the bonds/stocks associated with the organization. He could be risking losing smaller investors if he doesnt (regular stock and bond) up the profits.

A combination of all 3 is probably the contributing factor to an increase payroll.

Hello...? Peggy I can hear you.

And they say advertising doesn't work.

Just say "no" to PKane. Bad character. I don't want him on this team.

I think several things are in play here. As Ironman said, PK had to sell off the part of the team that Tom Thewes owned and settle with his heirs. Putting the team in a negative cash flow position is not the way to do that. Whitney was looking for a 3 year deal when he was about 37 years old. I don't blame JR at all for not doing that.

We couldn't see this coming (Whitney's incredible year this year). If people recall, Whitney was slowed by injury about the same time Roddy took a nosedive in performance due to injury. The Wiz had bursa issues. Although not like tearing out a joint, one never knows where things go when you are up in age.

I agree about not resigning Raymond. Only in retrospect does it look incredibly dumb. But it could have gone a different direction for sure.

Wonder what the odds are we take the next Sutter (Lukas) at 38th overall? Projected to go 41st. It wouldn't bother me.

If he is on the board at 38, or at 47 it won't surprise me if we take a chance on another Sutter.

Does anyone feel like there will be a trade today?

I'm thinking Nash goes somewhere today, or tomorrow before the start of the draft. No real sources...just my gut feeling.

All GM's are in Pittsburgh!

I'd agree with your guess. I think Eric Staal being unhappy probably has a lot to do with the Jordan Staal rumors as well. What better way to make your star player happy than to pick up his star in the making bro?

I don't see anyone signing him for 7 seasons. His past 3 contracts have been 1, 1, and 2 seasons. Someone might gamble an give him 5 but my guess is he'll get 3-4 at most.

You may be right. I was just trying to quantify "long-term security" and thought that was about 5-7 years for a 28 year-old NHL'er.

However, my point wasn't the salary or the term but that for an expensive player the Canes are going to make sure he is a playing style and character fit for the team. So if JR & Muller are good with Semin, we should be too.

Personally, I think it is due to new investors, new TV & radio contracts, and new ticket pricing. The new investors do a few things: 1st, PK didn't want spend money before getting the new investors; 2nd, it spreads the ownership risk; and 3rd, the new investors want a winner (ie: spend money to make money...capitalism at work!). Also this year the Canes have new revenue sources from the new contracts and ticketing changes; to late for Cole and Whitney.

Edited by Bill_B

Chip Alexander‏@ice_chip - Was told a trade by the Canes today probably would not happen. But that was about an hour ago. Just saying.

Mark Masters‏@markhmasters - Yakupov says he's met with 4 teams since arriving in Pitt on Tuesday night: Columbus, NYI, Carolina, Toronto

Edited by jeromeo87

Dreger reporting Nash or his agent to meet with Scott Howson this afternoon. Sooo, looks like a deal for Nash may be in place in principal, meeting to discuss NMC?

Dreger reporting Nash or his agent to meet with Scott Howson this afternoon. Sooo, looks like a deal for Nash may be in place in principal, meeting to discuss NMC?

Most likely. Also, Bobby Ryan being available probably isn't helping Columbus out much. Ryan is a cheaper option, not only monetarily but also as with the pieces it would take to acquire him.

Ryan Kennedy‏@THNRyanKennedy - Via Ken Campbell, Rick Nash's agent is meeting with CBJ GM Scott Howson at 3pm - Howson will talk to media at 5pm

Ryan Kennedy‏@THNRyanKennedy - Via Ken Campbell, Rick Nash's agent is meeting with CBJ GM Scott Howson at 3pm - Howson will talk to media at 5pm

fingers crossed that we made a trade! But I am betting he gets traded to the Flyers...

Edited by bluedevil58