The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
jeromeo87

2012 Off Season Discussion

Looks like JR & Shero might be burning the midnight oil tonight.

Im all about getting Jordan to Carolina (ideally before hes a UFA) but do you really think they'll make it happen before the draft? Jordan Staal is getting married tomorrow, I wonder how much he'll want to deal with contracts and that sort of stuff on his wedding day. He also has not asked to be traded, but supposedly Carolina is the only place he'd be willing to extend if traded.

A trade wouldn't disrupt his wedding day since all the negotiations would be between the GM's and his agent. Getting a deal here however, would make a nice wedding gift ;)

Nash and Parise are out of our league (love to eat crow if I'm wrong), Ryan and JStaal are solid possibilities. JR plays it close to the vest and doesn't tend to overpay, but this is the year to go a bit out of the comfort zone and get something done. We NEED another piece to be competitive. NEED it.

I am really thinking J Staal. I've stuck with it to this point, why not keep at it? His value just dropped and Pittsburgh's GM now realizes he has a guy that is not going to stay (where have we heard that prediction? We need an emoticon patting himself on the back by the way).

We will still need to figure out the top line, but we will have some serious pieces.

Pittsburgh's already weak hand just got weaker. Great news, even if the Canes have to wait a year. Shero needs to wake up and get what he can by tomorrow while everyone's excited.

So.. If J.Staal turned down a 10 year, $60 contract, what is he wanting to make?..

Maybe he wants that contract, but he wants it here in Carolina?

Maybe he's smart and knows what inflation is. 10 years, $60 mil sounds like a lot now, but in 5, 6, 7 years from now, it might not be.

A trade wouldn't disrupt his wedding day since all the negotiations would be between the GM's and his agent. Getting a deal here however, would make a nice wedding gift ;)

For him or us?

For those of you who are hanging on to every twitter feed/news article/rumor about the canes possibly making a trade in the next day or so this was a good listen.

http://iphone.tsn.ca/tsnpodcasts/CCShow_Dreger_june21.mp3

So.. did that host really sound THAT surprised that we aren't even considering giving up Skinner for J.Staal..? :coollaugh: He even said a "package" involving Skinner for J.Staal.. Like WE would have to add.... :coollaugh::coollaugh::coollaugh:

So.. did that host really sound THAT surprised that we aren't even considering giving up Skinner for J.Staal..? :coollaugh: He even said a "package" involving Skinner for J.Staal.. Like WE would have to add.... :coollaugh::coollaugh::coollaugh:

Yeah that was pretty funny.

Trade Sutter, Tlusty, prospect for Ryan and line up looks even better.

Ryan Staal Jokinen

Skinner Staal Ruutu

Dwyer/LaRose Brent/FA Nodl

Dwyer/LaRose Welsh/FA Stewart

Or if Jokinen would have to be involved in one of the trades for J.Staal and Ryan..

Whitney Staal Ryan

Skinner Staal Ruutu

Dwyer/LaRose Brent/FA Nodl

Dwyer/LaRose Welsh/FA Stewart

I agree with your basic premise, use Sutter as our key lever to get Bobby Ryan. The Ducks really need a 2nd line center. This would give Brandon his shot at a 2nd line center and could get the Canes that top-tier wing (RW with right shot). However, I would prefer to keep Tlusty. Let them have any bottom 6 wing (or 2?) they want and a prospect forward.

Not sure what to offer for Staal now, if the rumors of rejecting a Pens mega-deal are true. Maybe a 2nd rounder, bottom 6 wing and/or a prospect forward (or two), especially if one is primarily a center.

Moving bottom 6 wings would give the Canes room for that gritty forward. Also, there would be room to bring Whitney back to retire, but he's probably 10 years from that!!

Would you do what Darren mention...#8, Ruutu, & Murphy for J. Staal?

I would if Jordan agrees to an extension as part of the deal.

I think he said 8th+Ruutu, or 8th+Murphy. I'd do either.

Then Sutter, McBain/Pitkanen, and 2nd for Ryan.

Edited by jeromeo87

J Staal for #8 and Murphy works for me...no dumping Tuomo!

For Perry, yah...if we can send Joni and 2nd to Duckies, that'd be a great deal for us!

So.. If J.Staal turned down a 10 year, $60 contract, what is he wanting to make?..

It's not about the money. J. Staal is a #2 overall pick with talent to be a second or even first line center. He is coming into the prime of his career and he is not going to remain pigeonholed on that third line for the next 5-10 years.

Like you said, that same type of deal where he can be at least a second liner is a whole different ball game. There is a universe of difference between the second and third line. Second line gets decent talented wingers, is not put in a straight checking line, and gets more ice time. Second line also often does all that while not drawing the top d pairing. He can put up serious numbers from the second line, very very hard to do from the third line.

I mean here he'd likely play with some combination of Skinner, Jussi and Ruutu. Plenty of points would come out of that.

Also, people speculating we are the only ones who could sign him is interesting. Wonder if there is any hint of inside knowledge to that?

Edited by remkin

Would you do what Darren mention...#8, Ruutu, & Murphy for J. Staal?

I would if Jordan agrees to an extension as part of the deal.

Heck, No. At this point I wouldn't have either of those three assets (a 1st round pick, and 2-1st round selections) in a Staal deal....some combination of 2nd rounders, bottom 6 wings, and/or prospect forwards.

IMO, the #8 pick should be used for that top-tier wing or, worse case, to move up in the draft by adding a 2nd rounder.

J Staal for #8 and Murphy works for me...no dumping Tuomo!

I'm with you there. Keep Ruutu. I guess I'd do #8 and Murphy, but I gotta tell you I am really really curious about the pure offensive upside of Murphy. If they want an offensive dman, we have a couple of others....

Rem, based upon all the various media outlets I've seen, and even a GM have suggested Staal wanting to play with his brother(s) in Carolina is a big factor in teams even having interest, knowing it's likely he won't sign with them.

Help me here. Didn't Ruutu get a no trade as part of his extension? I think Ruu is off the table.

I think JR wants to go into the season with:

Tlusty Staal -------------

Skinner -------- Ruutu

--------- Sutter Dwyer

-------- Brent -------------

Gleason Faulk

--------- McBain

--------- ----------

Ward

-------

Red = won't trade

Black = doesn't want to move

-------- = fill in the blanks

J. Staal would fill in one of those blanks very nicely. I haven't given up on this deal yet.

Rem, based upon all the various media outlets I've seen, and even a GM have suggested Staal wanting to play with his brother(s) in Carolina is a big factor in teams even having interest, knowing it's likely he won't sign with them.

I smell a deal brewing! JR might just have Mr. Sherro right where he wants him. Just trying to lower the cost.