The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
jeromeo87

2012 Off Season Discussion

I smell a deal brewing! JR might just have Mr. Sherro right where he wants him. Just trying to lower the cost.

Yep, and I think JR is letting Shero know that he's not giving up core pieces for something he can acquire a year from now.

I smell a deal brewing! JR might just have Mr. Sherro right where he wants him. Just trying to lower the cost.

That's the feeling I'm getting too, especially after Staal rejected that megacontract.

Not sure if this was posted: http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2012/06/21/report-jordan-staal-has-legitimate-desire-to-play-for-canes-if-penguins-cant-sign-him/

Edited by Blinding

Yep, and I think JR is letting Shero know that he's not giving up core pieces for something he can acquire a year from now.

I've tried to keep my JR skepticism in check but I don't think the Canes are going to get that top-tier wing. With all the Jordan Staal talk and JR saying he is not parting with any core player, I believe JR will get Jordan then move Eric to wing. Sorry, the info overload this evening must be getting to me.....

Help me here. Didn't Ruutu get a no trade as part of his extension? I think Ruu is off the table.

I think JR wants to go into the season with:

Tlusty Staal -------------

Skinner -------- Ruutu

--------- Sutter Dwyer

-------- Brent -------------

Gleason Faulk

--------- McBain

--------- ----------

Ward

-------

Red = won't trade

Black = doesn't want to move

-------- = fill in the blanks

J. Staal would fill in one of those blanks very nicely. I haven't given up on this deal yet.

Your lineup looks like a really crappy Wheel of Fortune phrase.

;)

Wait wait woa, woa.... I just stepped in here from work. Has Jordan Staal to Carolina gone from heavy rumor to a decent possibility?!?

I dont get what we're discussing :\

I am feeling we're going to snag Staal this weekend if Shero isn't really dumb, and then snag Bobby Ryan before Rick Nash is dealt.

I feel like Jordan Staal always was the most realistic top 6 acquisition we could grab this offseason, and Bobby Ryan seems more attainable than Nash. I've heard people valuing Ryan over Nash agewise, but we all know everyone's eyes are on the Nash saga. The other thing is Anaheim is just seeing what offers Ryan attracts. I feel like that is an opportunity to provide a nice offer that may be more than Anaheim expected (especially if Nash is still available) and still not overpaying. However, we don't really know the asking price for anyone really. I figure if Nash is too expensive for all the other teams in the hunt for him, that it's most likely he'll still be too expensive after his value is dropped to the point where one of those big teams accepts.

@ legend: Staal turned down a 10 year contract reportedly worth 60 Million. Confirmed by his Agent. There were other reports of Jordan stating he wants to play in Carolina, but no real sources are stated in those. And everyone, from Analysts to other GMs are saying it's all Carolina for the J. Staal situation.

Either Shero is going to smarten up and realize he should deal Staal now, or risk having to either deal him at the deadline for less return, or losing him for nothing via FA

Edited by SuckaPunchd

Your lineup looks like a really crappy Wheel of Fortune phrase.

;)

Well we have been spinning our wheels for years. I just thought I would take a turn,:unsure:

Depends how sure we are Jordan only wants to be in Carolina. If we know that for sure then just wait the year. Or if JR wants him this year give up a 2nd rounder and/or prospect. Wouldn't do Murphy unless we're unsure of Jordan's preference. As much as I like Jussi, use Jokinen, 8th pick and Pits and prospects for Ryan or top tier wing.

Well we have been spinning our wheels for years. I just thought I would take a turn,:unsure:

Can I buy a Staal for 100?

Hope Johnny is right. Also hope JR can multi-task and get Staal and Nash this week, especially Nash.

Trade players only (maybe 3) for Staal maybe via a 3-way, maybe add a 2nd round pick. The Pens may like to have LaRose's right-hand shot and energy or Stewart's big body. I would not be surprised if JR would use our #8 pick and Brandon Sutter as the foundation of a Nash trade (maybe a combo of 7 assets).

The way all the websites talk, the Nash deal will likely close on Wed or Thur, so JR better be burning the midnight oil to best NYR and any others. The Canes cannot compete with NYR or SJS straight up on their rumored players to be offered so we will have to offer more assets (NHL'ers, picks, & prospects).

no, no, no, please, if JR trades sutter :whiteflag: and faulk, well, im going to scream, and u will hear it in north carolina from new england.. :)

TSN

"He is not prepared to enter into a contract extension at this time," Staal's agent, Paul Krepelka, told TSN Hockey Insider Pierre LeBrun.

Can't wait to see this on NHL.com tomorrow:

I can dream, can't I?

Love it :) Just think of the marketing possibilities......

I dare you to post that on the Pens board as a real headline and see what happens, I bet the main NHL server will blow up :lol:

I kid, I kid

Stan Fischler ‏@StanFischler - #Jordan Staal turning down a ten-year deal from Pitt tells me he wants out from under the #Malkin and #Crosby shadow. I commend him.

Edited by jeromeo87

Heck, No. At this point I wouldn't have either of those three assets (a 1st round pick, and 2-1st round selections) in a Staal deal....some combination of 2nd rounders, bottom 6 wings, and/or prospect forwards.

IMO, the #8 pick should be used for that top-tier wing or, worse case, to move up in the draft by adding a 2nd rounder.

You are way under valuing J. Staal...If I was Shero & you offer me a 2nd rounder, LaRose, & Dalpe...I tell you to go fish.

Shero still doesn't have to trade Staal. He can roll the dice & take another shot at the cup with the big three for one more year...knowing full well that Staal may walk for nothing at the end of the season.

ESPN

There would be a long list of teams vying for Staal, including the likes of Toronto, Buffalo and Anaheim just to name a few. But as one NHL GM told ESPN.com Thursday evening, "Let’s be honest, Carolina has the hammer."

Spector's Hockey

SPECTOR’S NOTE: That might jump start the Jordan Staal trade rumors, but as more than one pundit already observed, it would be a heckuva risk for a team to acquire him, knowing they could lose him next summer…unless you’re the Carolina Hurricanes.

Hope JR doesn't let us down.

Can't wait to see this on NHL.com tomorrow:

tWMwU.jpg

I can dream, can't I?

Damn! Same dream I was having. That was just tooooo good!!

You are way under valuing J. Staal...If I was Shero & you offer me a 2nd rounder, LaRose, & Dalpe...I tell you to go fish.

Shero still doesn't have to trade Staal. He can roll the dice & take another shot at the cup with the big three for one more year...knowing full well that Staal may walk for nothing at the end of the season.

Shero could keep him until next year and lose him for nothing, like we did with Whitney & Cole. But that's no reason for the Canes to overpay now to break him loose. Also, you are right that my offer probably is below his regular value, but given the circumstances for the Pens and Canes, it's probably the best the Pens will get now and will enable the Canes to have assets to go after that top wing (Ryan, Nash, etc.) trade.

Edited by Bill_B

Shero could keep him until next year and lose him for nothing, like we did with Whitney & Cole. But that's no reason for the Canes to overpay now to break him loose. Also, you are right that my offer probably is below his regular value, but given the circumstances for the Pens and Canes, it's probably the best the Pens will get now and will enable the Canes to have assets to go after that top wing (Ryan, Nash, etc.) trade.

But for JR to be able to land him this season and work out a deal is worth making a move. 2nd rounders and grinders aren't going to get the job done. Shero would be better off playing out this year and losing him for nothing than doing that. At least he could make a run this year at a championship with Staal.

It's worth it to JR to do something to get a player that is NHL ready right now than to wait on a #8 pick and a high prospect to pan out. I WANT PLAYOFF HOCKEY NEXT SPRING! Face it, that pick and Murphy aren't going to help in that aspect (and I am high on Murphy).

I dare you to post that on the Pens board as a real headline and see what happens, I bet the main NHL server will blow up :lol:

Hmm, seems like a good pla-

I kid, I kid

Oh.

I wouldn't mind us sending Murphy and our 8th overall to the Pens in return for Jordan, sounds like it might work too since they obviously have enough to go out and snag Parise or whomever else to fill in Jordan's spot based upon that 10 year contract extension offer.