The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
jeromeo87

2012 Off Season Discussion

To those that are saying if all else fails, just wait a year, that's not wise. A lot can happen in a year, and the other alternative is him going to NY and/or NY still having enough to get Nash. Although it would be very dumb at this point for Shero to enter the season with staal still on the team because no team in playoff contention would give up anything except draft picks, which he would get a good one if trades now.

But for JR to be able to land him this season and work out a deal is worth making a move. 2nd rounders and grinders aren't going to get the job done. Shero would be better off playing out this year and losing him for nothing than doing that. At least he could make a run this year at a championship with Staal.

It's worth it to JR to do something to get a player that is NHL ready right now than to wait on a #8 pick and a high prospect to pan out. I WANT PLAYOFF HOCKEY NEXT SPRING! Face it, that pick and Murphy aren't going to help in that aspect (and I am high on Murphy).

I want playoff hockey in Raleigh next year too; but I feel that top-tier goal scorer is needed most. I don't have a problem with using #8 for Staal, if JR can get that top tier wing without it. I definitely don't care if we trade all our picks in this year's thin draft.

To those that are saying if all else fails, just wait a year, that's not wise. A lot can happen in a year, and the other alternative is him going to NY and/or NY still having enough to get Nash. Although it would be very dumb at this point for Shero to enter the season with staal still on the team because no team in playoff contention would give up anything except draft picks, which he would get a good one if trades now.

I also think the deal has to be made now. A lot can happen in a year and other teams like NY could take a shot at him. Shero is in a tough place. By rejecting the offer (how do you walk away from 60 mil) Staal has told Shero he wants out and is forcing the issue. It sets up a very uncomfortable scenario for fans, players and management if he stayed.

At the same time no GM likes to have his hand forced. JR is going to have to give Shero something in return. I hope it isn't Sutter but it will probable be a NHL'er, draft pick and prospect. This is just a guess.

The time to strike is now, no if's, and, or buts about it... :whip:

You're right. Since the unusual opportunity has presented itself, JR needs to seal the deal for Staal now.

I was just thinking, if JR let's this ride into the season, with Cosby's concussion problems, one big hit and Staal could be their 2nd line center with PP time and more overall ice-time! All of a sudden 10 yrs and $58M may not look so bad.

TSN - Pierre LeBrun

The Hurricanes could wait until next off-season, but in the meantime, they've contacted the Penguins to make a trade offer.

JR must of heard you coastal.

ok, i didnt think of that, crosby could be done with one hit, pull the deal, nhl network now saying we get FASKA, ANOTHER KITCHER RANGER.. so faska, faulk, and a number one in 2013, is that enough.. i know. probaly not... i can see crosby going down again early.. man, my head is spinning..great point made bill_b

unrelated note, dumba is a spitting image of evander kane, facially wise, if faska is gone, want dumba, then he might be traded, i cant wait till friday, faksa is a center, send him to pens..

Edited by dinz

I want playoff hockey in Raleigh next year too; but I feel that top-tier goal scorer is needed most. I don't have a problem with using #8 for Staal, if JR can get that top tier wing without it. I definitely don't care if we trade all our picks in this year's thin draft.

Perhaps it's wishful thinking, but I also really want JR to go after both J.Staal and a top-tier winger (Bobby Ryan or Rick Nash). Realistically, I think the most we'll get is only one of those 3 players (hope I'm wrong).

Whatever happens, this is the most exciting offseason that I can recall. It has also been one of severe anxiousness. Just seeing our name listed among the teams that are rumored to be interested in Rick Nash is something I find exciting.

We are below the cap floor and thus can afford to add a significant salary. Futhermore, it's been 3 years since we have made the playoffs. So, now is the time to make a big move.

Personally, I would prefer we get a 1st line winger than J.Staal. For years I've thought that Eric Staal needs a really good winger. I wonder if we will have to give the Pens Sutter? I hope not. I also don't want to lose Ryan Murphy. The cat is out of the bag, Jordan doesn't want to resign with the Pens. If the Pens don't trade Jordan now, they risk losing him to free agency next year and ending up with nothing. Hopefully that means we don't have to give up quite as much in the trade. Again, perhaps wishful thinking.

Mercury, welcome board the cane train :) more i think, and thats a scary thought in itself, we wouldnt get jordan without sutter going the other way, i have to accept that, even i dont like it.. hope im wrong.. we should know by about 9 tonight or earlier..I just dont have a good feeling about nash, and that would take a boatload going to columbus to get him.. Whitney , for one year, and retire here, yes, but we need more..

Reading Spector's hockey this morning the feeling was we might have to move Ryan Murphy, Sutter or Faulk to get a impact player through trade. Faulk being the untouchable in the group.

Reading Spector's hockey this morning the feeling was we might have to move Ryan Murphy, Sutter or Faulk to get a impact player through trade. Faulk being the untouchable in the group.

I am ok with losing Murphy.

On the Nash side. We are not on the list of 7 teams Nash wants to join. Of course getting a good FA or a big trade could change his mind.

So Jordan turns down a 10 year deal. I guess he is looking for somebody to really step up. Given our past efforts at landing name players, I guess that right now all the discussion may have been so much hot air. Here is something to think about.... if Jordan signs a long term with another team, does Eric get a huge contract to stay or does he bolt to play with his brother? Does the new team step up for Marc and really make JR have nightmares? Wow... all the possibilities.

I haven't been commenting much on future trades and such, but between J. Staal, Parise, Suter, Nash, and any others mentioned, I think our best possibility is landing J. Staal. I would love it if we could get Staal AND another 1st line winger, but I'm not sure if we could pull that off. I would imagine all the big FA's would be looking to join more competitive teams. At least for now, let's get the Staal deal done, especially since he turned down the Pen's mega-offer and has shown interest in coming here. And who knows, hopefully getting J. Staal will give reason for some of the bigger FA's to look the Hurricane's way.

Here's a thought. Assuming JR pulls off some sort of miracle and gets Jordan without giving up Sutter. All of a sudden we have scary center depth and this could make us appear to be a contender thus making the team more attractive to free agents. I really think Jordan will be a Cane tonight. I have never known a player to openly state that he desires to play in Carolina. I think a 1st rounder is a bit too much. But a prospect, starting defense men, and maybe a draft pick could be all it takes. Especially since he flat out refused an extension. Pitt already won a cup so it is not cup or bust at this point for them.

If you completely take away the fact that Jordan is a Eric's brother and really think about it, why would we want Jordan? This team needs someone to play with Eric, not behind him.

I guess the thinking is Eric on the wing? I'm not a big fan of that.

IMHO, Jordan doesn't fit this team very well and the allure is simply the last name.

But if you can get Jordan without giving up Sutter, it might be worth it b/c the center depth would be insane. But it still doesn't get a player for Eric.

Edited by golfpro827

If you completely take away the fact that Jordan is a Eric's brother and really think about it, why would we want Jordan? This team needs someone to play with Eric, not behind him.

I guess the thinking is Eric on the wing? I'm not a big fan of that.

IMHO, Jordan doesn't fit this team very well and the allure is simply the last name.

But if you can get Jordan without giving up Sutter, it might be worth it b/c the center depth would be insane. But it still doesn't get a player for Eric.

Well, in all honesty, we really need noth a 2nd line center and a first line winger. However, there's a good chance to acquire that first line winger, Sutter may be going the other way (especially in the case of Bobby Ryan - ANA really needs a center). But you can't really deal Sutter without gaining another center. I don't know if it's possible, but I'm hoping JR can somehow get both J.Staal and a first liner. It doesn't have to be Ryan, but maybe Setoguchi, Oshie or Perron..

Edited by jeromeo87

Here are the players that I would like added to the current lineup.

1. - Jordan Staal

2. - Evander Kane

3. - Cody Franson

4. - Taylor Pyatt

Players and or picks that I would be willing to trade.

1. - 1st rd pk/4th rd pk/Drayson Bowman/Derek Joslin

2. - 2nd rd pk/Zach Boychuk/Conditional pk 2013

3. - Brian Dumoulin/Andreas Nodl/Conditional pk 2013

4. - Pyatt is a Free Agent

I admit that I am no NHL GM however these are four guys that would improve our team.

This team DOES need a second line center. J.STaal is a guy who plays the position right. He is a two way guy. Our cup team had top line talent, but also had one Rod Brind'Amour who at that time was still way on his game and an awsome two way center. Sure the need on the top line wing is more glaring, but you play the hand delt you and we just got a pretty good hand. It wasn't the one we were planning on getting, but it's still very good.

Adding J.Staal to this team gives us a credible top 6. And by credible I mean playoff credible. Maybe not a cup favorite, but one step at a time. If we can land J.Staal and still have Sutter we are credible all the way down the offense. Depending on who we give up, of course, but any combination of LaRose/Sutter/Bowman/Dwyer is credible as long as Sutter is there.

Personally I think Tlusty and Jussi can play on the first line. Won't be the best first line in the game, but also can't be ignored. BUT Skinner/J.Staal/Ruutu might be one of, if not THE best second line in the game, and Sutter plus, might be the best third line.

We will still likely need that top winger at some point, but he can be added later.

IF there were a longshot of trading for two guys, maybe a dream move of JSTaal and BRyan. Do we have the pieces to get that without giving up any key pieces? Maybe. Depends on what we get JSTaal for.

BRyan E.Staal Jussi

Skinner J.Staal Ruutu

LaRose Sutter Bowman/Dwyer

That is a cup contending offense. What's that worth?

OK, I'm getting carried away, but J.Staal does make huge sense and his price just dropped. (Trade price, not salary).

Edited by remkin

I am failing to see why people are so quick to want to give up Chad LaRose. He's been with us since day 1, and has given his heart and soul to this franchise. Granted, he's not the best at his position, but rewarding a guy's loyalty by trading him away in this instance isn't the best idea.

ok, no way with the Dumoulin deal, hes going to be a beast on the dcore for a long time.. Thats a dynamite top 2 lines rem, love to see it, ok, if the asking price and only holding point is brandon sutter, going the other way, i have to say go, with a heavy heart... this day i HOPE turns out too be one of the exciting days for us fans and the Carolina Hurricanes... Jr, pull the trigger, dont keep the gun in its holster.. figure of speech of course :) let the ga :applause: mes begin!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Pens fans are having a complete melt down right now...

And we're not? Maybe we're melting up, anticipating a meltdown later when JR disappoints us?

I haven't seen this much activity on this board in a LONG time, including a lot of newbies joining the fun. (Welcome, by the way, and stay a while...)

Edited by wxray1

I could see Sutter going under 2 conditions:

1. J. Staal is landed in a trade

2. If Rask is ready to play.

Dont get me wrong I dont want Sutter to go but J. Staal can immediately step into that 2 way role. Also if Rask is ready to go then we have a good center to step in. If Rask isnt ready to go then I think we will only see one trade to bring in a good player. Other will have to signed. i.e Whitney, Doan, etc.

What about trading Bowman or Boychuk rights to the Ducks for rights of Schultz?

Man what a long D these 3 could be on our blue line: Schultz, Faulk, and Doum. Would really open up the possibilities of moving Pits or something other D piece.