The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
jeromeo87

2012 Off Season Discussion

What about trading Bowman or Boychuk rights to the Ducks for rights of Schultz?

Man what a long D these 3 could be on our blue line: Schultz, Faulk, and Doum. Would really open up the possibilities of moving Pits or something other D piece.

Bowman and Boychuck both suck. Good luck getting anything for these guys.

Bowman and Boychuck both suck. Good luck getting anything for these guys.

I think we can all agree to the degree of Boychuck's suckitude this season...but Bowman? REALLY?

Per Marek-on XM 92 NHL Home Ice this morning, Rutherford offering #8, Ruutu and Murphy for Staal

If they accept this it's high robbery. We got screwed.

Per Marek-on XM 92 NHL Home Ice this morning, Rutherford offering #8, Ruutu and Murphy for Staal

How does Ruutu feel about being traded after signing a contract some seem to think had a hometown discount? Plus he has a NTC!

:shakeshead: Don't get me wrong I hope we do get J.Staal... but for a guy with only one year left on his contract... lets hope there is a secret agreement that he will sign an extension.

The #8 pick and Murphy are enough IMO.

Or #8 tonight and our first rounder next year. Or #8 this year, our top 2nd rounder this year, and a 2nd next year.

That's about all I am willing to go.

How does Ruutu feel about being traded after signing a contract some seem to think had a hometown discount? Plus he has a NTC!

How do most players feel about being traded? No one likes it, really. It's a business. Plus, I think his NTC doesn't kick in until July 1. Pretty steep deal; I find it interesting that JR is offering Ruutu in a deal over Jokinen. Ruutu makes more than Jokinen.. clearing up cap space for another move? Ryan? Suter?

We also need to consider where Jeremy Welsh fits into the upcoming season.

Welsh has played ONE game for us. No offense, but we can't assume he is going to be a regular next year.

How do most players feel about being traded? No one likes it, really. It's a business. Plus, I think his NTC doesn't kick in until July 1. Pretty steep deal; I find it interesting that JR is offering Ruutu in a deal over Jokinen. Ruutu makes more than Jokinen.. clearing up cap space for another move? Ryan? Suter?

Good point about July 1 and the NTC for Ruutu. Still interesting Ruutu would be part of the package since I believe he signed for a little less than he could have gotten on the open market so the Finns could stay together.

Who knows?!

So lemme get this straight we're offering a pick that will likely lead to either a top 4 defensemen or top 6 forward. A top 6 forward and a defenseman whose tearing up the minors.

We get Jordan Staal for all that?

Uh, not interested? Not interested at all.

Oh and at the end of all that were down 1 winger in a position where we were already down 1 winger. So now we're -2 and still needing a winger for Staal. Brillant!

Edited by legend-1

So lemme get this straight we're offering a pick that will likely lead to either a top 4 defensemen or top 6 forward. A top 6 forward and a defenseman whose tearing up the minors.

We get Jordan Staal for all that?

Uh, not interested? Not interested at all.

Oh and at the end of all that were down 1 winger in a position where we were already down 1 winger. So now we're -2 and still needing a winger for Staal. Brillant!

Agreed, give them picks and possibly a prospect or two. No core players!

I agree that trade would be insane.

On the other hand, adding Jordan to the mix makes there a little more room for everyone on the bus on the annual fathers weekend.

Welsh has played ONE game for us. No offense, but we can't assume he is going to be a regular next year.

I'm not trying to say Welsh is going to make the team and be a superstar, but I feel like he's been left out of the conversation. I'm a HUGE fan of Brandon Sutter, I would really hate it to see him go, but if he's part of a deal that lands us a top winger for Staal (which I feel is a necessity) what options do we have available? Can brent hack it as our 3rd line center? Can Welsh? Is there a FA available?

I agree that trade would be insane.

I think we are zero-ing in on the real trade now, cause now both fanbases are calling it insane. It must be about right.

Agree with those that say no to this. Too much. I want a deal as much as the next guy, but that is too much. If we lose Ruutu we will need to replace him. How are we at that? See Cole.

Louis Jean‏@SNLouisJean - This may be an understatement but someone close to Pens-Staal negs told me Ray Shero was livid following Staal rejection of 10 yr contract.

Agree with those that say no to this. Too much. I want a deal as much as the next guy, but that is too much. If we lose Ruutu we will need to replace him. How are we at that? See Cole.

You're right rem. That was the logic of signing Ruu before the trade deadline. We wanted him so we don't need two forwards!

Personally, I still would only offer 2012 2nd rounder(s), a bottom 6 forward and a prospect or two. I'm still holding out the #8 pick (and Sutter & Murphy) in hopes of using it for Ryan or Nash! I know, wishful tinking on my part.

The only thing about Welsh is JR's exit interview. He said after one game, Welsh could play in the top 9 next year. Think that caught everybody by surprise. Of course that sort of goes with the year before comment about Dalpe ... bust!!

If they want an offensive dman (Murphy), how about Pitkanen or McBain and our #8 (if we can sign Staal). That leaves us some salary (especially if it's Pits) to add yet another piece, and keeps us with Murphy and his off the hook offensive skill set.

Edited by remkin

Here are the players that I would like added to the current lineup.

1. - Jordan Staal

2. - Evander Kane

3. - Cody Franson

4. - Taylor Pyatt

Players and or picks that I would be willing to trade.

1. - 1st rd pk/4th rd pk/Drayson Bowman/Derek Joslin

2. - 2nd rd pk/Zach Boychuk/Conditional pk 2013

3. - Brian Dumoulin/Andreas Nodl/Conditional pk 2013

4. - Pyatt is a Free Agent

I admit that I am no NHL GM however these are four guys that would improve our team.

Don't know Franson. Is he a shut-down or offensive d-man. Saw he's young and big, which is good. Looks like Staal might happen and Pyatt is that gritty guy we need (and we don't have to trade). RFA E. Kane would be great but he is not available according to comments the last couple of days. Not sure about all your trade assets. If Kane was available, I think he would be demanding Nash/Ryan caliber assets.

The Cane's forward corps is so full of big tough guys, we can easily lose Ruutu. Who needs him? He's so redundant.

:sarcasm: