The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
jeromeo87

2012 Off Season Discussion

That report that we offered Ruutu, the 8th and Murphy is just speculation on that reporter's part of a deal that might work, not necessarily what was really offered. I heard the interview.

No way JR is that desperate to sign Staal for that package knowing full well we can wait Shero out. I don't believe it for a minute.

Edited by coastal_caniac

If they want an offensive dman (Murphy), how about Pitkanen or McBain and our #8 (if we can sign Staal). That leaves us some salary (especially if it's Pits) to add yet another piece, and keeps us with Murphy and his off the hook offensive skill set.

I agree with moving Pitkanen (to Pens, Ducks, or CBJ) if possible to free up salary and I think we have the skill to now backfill him. But I was surprised about offering the Pens an offensive d-man. I thought the needed a shut-down d-man, like we do!

Gosh, it would be nice to keep Murphy and Dumo and see what they can do at the NHL level.

BRyan E.Staal Jussi

Skinner J.Staal Ruutu

LaRose Sutter Bowman/Dwyer

That is a cup contending offense. What's that worth?

OK, I'm getting carried away, but J.Staal does make huge sense and his price just dropped. (Trade price, not salary).

Rem, I'm afraid the Canes may have to trade your 3rd line for Bobby Ryan. Hah!

Edited by Bill_B

What the heck is Chip doing in Pittsburgh? A couple of random tweets over coffee. It's times like these that I miss Luke. He was always good for something from Rutherford.

Come on Chip, give us something.....we are dying here.

Good news in terms of Rick Nash, or so it appears.

Philly and Columbus just made a trade - Bobrovsky to Columbus for three draft pics (but not the number 2).

Bob was one of the main guys heard in Nash to Philly trade rumors. Can't imagine the deal gets done without Bob.

Good news in terms of Rick Nash, or so it appears.

Philly and Columbus just made a trade - Bobrovsky to Columbus for three draft pics (but not the number 2).

Bob was one of the main guys heard in Nash to Philly trade rumors. Can't imagine the deal gets done without Bob.

Not bad...but that gets the ball rolling with other pre-draft trades. Let's hope they come fast and furious!

Rob Rossi‏@RobRossi_Trib - Hearing #Canes feel Staal is theirs sooner or later, now less willing to blow away #pens in trade talks #StaalWatch

Mark Spector Sports‏@SportsnetSpec - Carolina is now likely to use No. 8 pick, not trade as planned. Can't get J.Staal now? Then stock assets for when you can. #SNDraft

Use it for Ryan, Setoguchi, Perron, Oshie, Nash! ANYBODY! USE IT!!

Rob Rossi‏@RobRossi_Trib - Hearing #Canes feel Staal is theirs sooner or later, now less willing to blow away #pens in trade talks #StaalWatch

Mark Spector Sports‏@SportsnetSpec - Carolina is now likely to use No. 8 pick, not trade as planned. Can't get J.Staal now? Then stock assets for when you can. #SNDraft

Use it for Ryan, Setoguchi, Perron, Oshie, Nash! ANYBODY! USE IT!!

Obviously negotiations are heating up big time. Getting very interesting........

TSN mentioned Steve Ott from Dallas on the market. Could he be an option for our gritty Skinner protector? Maybe he would cost less than Clowe. Maybe an option if we can't get Pyatt either.

Steve Ott is a scrapper...think Jay Harrison and kick it up one notch. But he's not a thug like Torres or Cooke!

Wouldn't mind having him on the team...my wife's a Stars fan, so she'd be mad about losing him!

Bowman and Boychuck both suck. Good luck getting anything for these guys.

Schultz is leaving the Ducks without any kind of contract talks. Atleast they would get something in return and we may have a leg up at getting him.

Uh oh. We use that pick, we don't get a Ryan or anyone comparable. And Shero is a moron for not taking what he could from us. At the deadline, his value will be reduced to a pick or two.

Edited by SuckaPunchd

TSN mentioned Steve Ott from Dallas on the market. Could he be an option for our gritty Skinner protector? Maybe he would cost less than Clowe. Maybe an option if we can't get Pyatt either.

Ott could be a candidate: 30-40 pts a year for $3.2 this coming season. Clowe is somewhat bigger and does 50+ points a year for $4.0 this season. Think both have more scoring capability than Pyatt but you pay extra for that skill.

Uh oh. We use that pick, we don't get a Ryan or anyone comparable.

Not necessarily. Depending on who gets picked, it could make other prospects expendable to be used in a trade.

No chance for Steve Ott.

He and Gleason were buddies to the point Gleason was the best man in Ott's wedding. Gleason then married Ott's wife.

Edited by golfpro827

No chance for Steve Ott.

He and Gleason were buddies to the point Gleason was the best man in Ott's wedding. Gleason then married Ott's wife.

Oops!

History question from those with the history knowledge, forgive me if I should have known...

Has JR ever traded his first round pick on draft day, and if so, was it anywhere near as high as #8?

Edited by remkin

No chance for Steve Ott.

That reminds me an old conspiracy theory that still goes around here in Toronto. The story goes that Gary Leeman was traded away form the Leafs because he was sleeping with teammate Al Iafrate's wife. th_facepalm2.gif

No evidence for this, by the way, but I suppose these things happen. biggrin.gif