The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
jeromeo87

2012 Off Season Discussion

Maybe more of a tough, skilled (15-20+ goals, good F/O %) guy whose consistent talent could merit being a 2nd line center and not just be Jeff's bodyguard. Are there any such animals running around the NHL? Guess I always think of an enforcer as a notch or two above a goon, not a 2nd line center.

I'm sure there are. That is along the line I was thinking but if we need to land a fourth line enforcer with some skill it just adds to our off-season shopping list. Skinner doesn't need to think to much about who has his back he only has to know that guy is there. He needs to do what he does best and that is score goals.

Just to give an idea of what an enforcer may cost, Shawn Thornton was just given a 2 year extension with the Bruins for an annual cap hit of $1.1 mil.

Shawn Thornton signs two-year extension - The Globe

Thornton is 34 years old, skates on the 4th line, and has had four goals and eight assists for a total of 12 points in 70 games while averaging 9:06 of ice time per game. Thornton has a league-leading 19 fights.

I can't imagine what the response from some of the Canes fans who complain about LaRose's $1.7 mil salary would be if we paid a 4th line enforcer what it will cost to get him. Just to compare..... LaRose is 29 years old, has 16 goals and 12 assists for a total of 28 points in 57 games, can play up to the top lines if needed and averages around 18:00 of ice time.

I'd much rather have a tough, gritty second line center that can put up points and have Skinner's back rather then an enforcer.

I'm curious as to why guys like Ruutu, Gleason, and Allen aren't really sticking up for Skinner though, perhaps he did something to rub them the wrong way, which would be another attitude issue that needs to be corrected during the off season.

I wouldn't be surprised to see a different look on the fourth line next season to address some of the "softness" on this team. I've heard Forslund on three occasions mention Muller has an idea of what his fourth line will eventually look like.

I'd much rather have a tough, gritty second line center that can put up points and have Skinner's back rather then an enforcer.

I'm curious as to why guys like Ruutu, Gleason, and Allen aren't really sticking up for Skinner though, perhaps he did something to rub them the wrong way, which would be another attitude issue that needs to be corrected during the off season.

I think they are to a point but Skinner does an awful lot of provoking on his own and there's probably some code out there that if you're the provoker, you're on your own. I realize that doesn't/shouldn't include any of the cheap shots made to Skinner's head, even if he provoked them somehow.

I think alot of it stems from Skinner's inability to let smack talk go during scrums. He's always taking cheap shots during scrums and then trying to run away right after he does it. This isn't junior hockey anymore and that's likely something he lost by not going to the AHL first. You can't just shove anyone you want to shove, expecially if Skinner has to LOOK UP at the guy and expect to let someone else handle your problems.

I would also have to imagine that if he can't keep his mits to himself during scrums guys like Gleason just can't keep up with how much enforcing he needs. It really seems like once a period Skinner has himself in some sort of bad position that I believe he put himself in.

I'd love to stand up for him but Larose is the same body structure and he doesn't have these issues. He talks junk, leaves the scrum without taking a cheap shot and as a result his health isn't in question. I'm also not saying that the headshots are an acceptable action to shut Skinner up but he's 5'10 with a target on his back in a league of mostly 6'0+ people, your going to get hit in the head alot and putting a target on your back isn't a good way to control it.

Edited by legend-1

I wouldn't be surprised to see a different look on the fourth line next season to address some of the "softness" on this team. I've heard Forslund on three occasions mention Muller has an idea of what his fourth line will eventually look like.

Although he wasn't picked-up on Muller's watch, I think management was hoping Stewart with his large frame was going to be more physical in the mode of a Ruutu. So I wouldn't expect him to be around next year.

I think alot of it stems from Skinner's inability to let smack talk go during scrums. He's always taking cheap shots during scrums and then trying to run away right after he does it. This isn't junior hockey anymore and that's likely something he lost by not going to the AHL first. You can't just shove anyone you want to shove, expecially if Skinner has to LOOK UP at the guy and expect to let someone else handle your problems.

I would also have to imagine that if he can't keep his mits to himself during scrums guys like Gleason just can't keep up with how much enforcing he needs. It really seems like once a period Skinner has himself in some sort of bad position that I believe he put himself in.

I'd love to stand up for him but Larose is the same body structure and he doesn't have these issues. He talks junk, leaves the scrum without taking a cheap shot and as a result his health isn't in question. I'm also not saying that the headshots are an acceptable action to shut Skinner up but he's 5'10 with a target on his back in a league of mostly 6'0+ people, your going to get hit in the head alot and putting a target on your back isn't a good way to control it.

Very good points. His behavior writes a lot checks his body can't always cash! As a shorter, skilled player, it seems some of his hits by taller D-men are going to be to or near his head just instinctive reactions in front of the net.

So, uh, not to take away from the Skinner discussion, but has anybody else realize that we're only 5 points back of 8th with three four-point games in our last nine (the final one against the Jets, and then the last two against the Panthers.) It's still a long shot but if we keep finding ways to win, we could potentially find ourselves in the playoffs.

So, uh, not to take away from the Skinner discussion, but has anybody else realize that we're only 5 points back of 8th with three four-point games in our last nine (the final one against the Jets, and then the last two against the Panthers.) It's still a long shot but if we keep finding ways to win, we could potentially find ourselves in the playoffs.

Yes, must find ways to win, but also need help. Winning out does not clinch anything. We need the right things to happen ahead of us also. This includes all western teams beating the teams we are chasing, top seeded eastern teams beating the teams we are chasing, and 2 point games, no 3 point games with the teams we are chasing.

Remember, we have to still leap ahead of WIN, BUF and WAS. Those teams play each other, so for sure, *someone* will win. Very bad if those games go to OT and 3 points are given.

For now, the team is taking care of what they can control, and that's all you can do.

I'm gonna be sick if the 2-3 extra points we lost from officials taking the night off *cough* peel, laurent *hack* is what bites us in the end.

I'm gonna be sick if the 2-3 extra points we lost from officials taking the night off *cough* peel, laurent *hack* is what bites us in the end.

A friend text me the the exact same sentiment last night. What a heartache it would be if came down to those 2 points. I'm almost hoping that the Canes either win big or lose, I don't think I want to see this come down to the last game of the season although I like our chances with the way they've been playing.

Was looking around on SportsClubStats this morning, digging deep.

The simulation actually found a 1 in 907 million chance of the Canes making the playoffs if they go 4-4-1 with 82 points! Every possible game played that involves Eastern teams would have to go "perfect" for that to happen. :)

Just keep winning boys, and see what happens. As for the refs, we could point to a few games last year (quick and slow whistles, remember against the Pens?) that would have made the difference in the end and gotten us in last year too.

This playing around with 8th or 9th place is for the birds. I hope Muller won't stand for nothing except best in division.

While those will be the easiest points to say what if to, the real 2-3 extra points will come from when the team decided to take the night off in October, November, and December.

Plus the fact that If we could every now and then win a shootout!! We don't have a few very good shot makers and we don't have a good goaltender in the shootout situation. The Canes are in a tough spot on both ends of the ice during a shootout!

From those TSN dudes,

Darren Dreger ‏ @DarrenDreger

Carolina Hurricanes are ready to leap into contending status. Expect Canes to be strong bidders for Parise\Suter...if both are UFA's.

From those TSN dudes,

Darren Dreger ‏ @DarrenDreger

Carolina Hurricanes are ready to leap into contending status. Expect Canes to be strong bidders for Parise\Suter...if both are UFA's.

Well now that would be interesting. That's quite a target, probably a decent bit higher than many of us here would expect. I think we'd all love to see the 'Canes add guys like that, but realistically don't think management would pull the trigger.

Well now that would be interesting. That's quite a target, probably a decent bit higher than many of us here would expect. I think we'd all love to see the 'Canes add guys like that, but realistically don't think management would pull the trigger.

Don't know if you're on twitter but Darren Dreger tweeted a bit later that ownership is on board with going after Parise/Suter.

Don't know if you're on twitter but Darren Dreger tweeted a bit later that ownership is on board with going after Parise/Suter.

Sounds good to me. It's just that, as recently as a couple weeks ago, we'd throw out names like that and think "no chance." Happy to see ownership may finally be opening up the checkbook.

Sounds good to me. It's just that, as recently as a couple weeks ago, we'd throw out names like that and think "no chance." Happy to see ownership may finally be opening up the checkbook.

I'd agree with you on the point that we'd all think no chance. Probably because we're all so used to tight budgets lately. And even if JR did get the green light in the past he went for older, leader types. If I wake up on July 1st and Parise is a Cane, I will seriously think about season tickets for the first time in my life.

Whoaaaa. Could you imagine if we got Parise? And Staal keeps playing like he is now? And Larose scores 20 and Skinner and Jussi and Ruutu play to their potential..... My question though is why open the purse now?

JR and company must see something in the new coaching staff and the core group of players. I know it'd be a black swan event but if they could lure Parise AND Suter to the Canes I'm fairly certain I would probably crap a black swan myself.

Whoaaaa. Could you imagine if we got Parise? And Staal keeps playing like he is now? And Larose scores 20 and Skinner and Jussi and Ruutu play to their potential..... My question though is why open the purse now?

The stars have finally aligned: the team has a fresh new successful system (under a new coach), young talented players, new and willing ownership partners, overall good performance on the ice with only a couple missing pieces that separate them from being a SCF competitor (I believe they are a true playoff contender now - if this kind of production was made earlier, we'd be much much higher in the standings right now).

If I were JR, I'd tell the owners/PK "It's now or never".

Interesting, last night MM said that the Canes were very interested in the Ryan Suter sweepstakes.