The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
jeromeo87

2012 Off Season Discussion

His "business" was hanging out in photos on the internet. :omg:

Therefore, I go with "SLUTTY". Besides, at least mine's an anagram. :)

My friends and I prefer to pronounce it "TEE-LUST-EE". For the reason stated above.

My friends and I prefer to pronounce it "TEE-LUST-EE". For the reason stated above.

Jealous much?

LOL, just kidding bro.

Ha ha ha. The famous pictures. :)

On a serious note, I wonder if that slowed him down for a while.

NHL.com - The National Hockey League and the National Hockey League Players' Association announced today that the Team Payroll Range established for the 2012-13 League Year, pursuant to the Collective Bargaining Agreement, provides for a Lower Limit of $54.2 million, an Adjusted Midpoint of $62.2 million and an Upper Limit of $70.2 million.

Michael Smith @msmithcanes - According to CapGeek (usually the best source for this kind of stuff), the Canes are at $47.67 mil.

I'd say we have to spend some money. J Staals new contract could put us over the bottom.

NHL.com - The National Hockey League and the National Hockey League Players' Association announced today that the Team Payroll Range established for the 2012-13 League Year, pursuant to the Collective Bargaining Agreement, provides for a Lower Limit of $54.2 million, an Adjusted Midpoint of $62.2 million and an Upper Limit of $70.2 million.

Michael Smith @msmithcanes - According to CapGeek (usually the best source for this kind of stuff), the Canes are at $47.67 mil.

I'd say we have to spend some money. J Staals new contract could put us over the bottom.

Doan at $5-6, Gaustad at $3-3.5, Jordan at $6-6.5, and Garrison at $2-3 or Colaiacovo at $2.5-3.5. That should help.

Doan at $5-6, Gaustad at $3-3.5, Jordan at $6-6.5, and Garrison at $2-3 or Colaiacovo at $2.5-3.5. That should help.

Reports are that Garrison is looking for a 5 year, $25 mil contract. No thanks..

http://www.csnphilly.com/hockey-philadelphia-flyers/flyers-talk/Despite-talks-Carle-could-test-free-agen?blockID=732388&feedID=2231&utm_source=t.co&utm_medium=referral

IF we are unable to land Suter, and IF Carle hits free agency, and I want Carle.

Just keep in mind this doesn't include any CBA agreements or reworkings. I will assume that is what the cap will be, but a lot can happen this summer.

Just keep in mind this doesn't include any CBA agreements or reworkings. I will assume that is what the cap will be, but a lot can happen this summer.

I guess everyone moves ahead as if nothing will change while knowing everything might change.

Reports are that Garrison is looking for a 5 year, $25 mil contract. No thanks..

http://www.csnphilly.com/hockey-philadelphia-flyers/flyers-talk/Despite-talks-Carle-could-test-free-agen?blockID=732388&feedID=2231&utm_source=t.co&utm_medium=referral

IF we are unable to land Suter, and IF Carle hits free agency, and I want Carle.

Your article says Carle will probably want $5.5 or more after the outrageous amount Wideman got from Calgary. Imagine what Suter is going to want now! I really think we need a two-way d-man or a stay-at-home Allen type. Guess somebody will give Garrison what he wants but I think they are over paying this one hit wonder, so far. I'd like to have Carle just because he's solid, if JR wants to pay that much. But he would need to move some d-man, ie: Pitkanen to make roster and cap room ... assuming JR is still bringing on-board a couple of forwards.

Edited by Bill_B

Anyone hearing that the veteran D-man the Canes are looking to sign is ..........Joe Corvo?

What's that old saying.....NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

I was thinking maybe Rozsival was the vet, other than Allen.

Edited by Bill_B

Anyone hearing that the veteran D-man the Canes are looking to sign is ..........Joe Corvo?

haha.. I doubt he would come back.. His departure seemed weird.

I figure Joe is headed to Montreal to join his buddy. I'd help pay the airfare.

Does anyone know more about Coliacovo? He sounds intriguing.

I vote no on Corvo.

I read he's a reliable shot-blocking stay-at-home guy. Read on one of the websites today that St Louis wants to re-sign him...that's a nice affirmation for him.

Edited by Bill_B

I think our D is strong enough to not go after anybody. I think a great signing for the Canes would Maple Leafs Mikhail Grabovski. With the addition of J. Staal Muller will move Eric to wing so the brothers can play together. Grabovski would make a great 2nd line center for us.

I think our D is strong enough to not go after anybody. I think a great signing for the Canes would Maple Leafs Mikhail Grabovski. With the addition of J. Staal Muller will move Eric to wing so the brothers can play together. Grabovski would make a great 2nd line center for us.

Grabovsky already resigned with the Maple Leafs.

So the Canes website is now touting Welsh as our next 3rd line center maybe.

My link

A couple of fairly central (see what I did there?) questions however, were not addressed. So I ask my fellow board members to inform me:

1. Is Welsh signed for next year?

2. Did Welsh play any meaningful time at center in college?

3. If not, why not?

4. Did Welsh play any center in his 1 day NHL career?

5. Is it classier to use "centre", or is that just a french Canadian thing?

If number one is 'no'. Then I am reminded of similar pre-signing "the big club has a role for you" pieces before we signed one Riley Nash. So far, not really so much for him. Especially considering that he is one of the guys one might think of for this exact job.

Sticking an unproven guy on the third line is not crazy, but at center?

Not buying it. It is not yet July 1 so no one wants to tip their hand about a FA third line center, and if we still need to sign Welsh. in that light this all makes a bit more sense.

1. Yes. He signed for one year as a FA

2. Yes. He started out as LW but finished his last two seasons at center

4. Yes. He centered Skinns and Ruutu (its in your link)

Side note: reading some of the Union College blogs, Welsh was also heavily courted by Bruins, Hawks and Ranger scouts (and two other undisclosed NHL teams) during the Frozen Four. Somebody from the Canes musta left a good impression for Brindy and Ron to show up personally to present a signature ready contract after his final college game. Yes, he is unproven and maybe not NHL ready yet, but.....

I believe we should try to trade for a Defenseman and use our cash to sign a decent top nine forward(Gaustad).

A few guys that look interesting to me are Jonathan Ericsson, Theo Peckham, Matt Niskanen, and Cody Franson.

JR should have gotten Niskanen as part of the Jordan Staal trade.

Our D could have looked like this.

Pitkanen - Niskanen

Gleason - Faulk

Harrison - McBain

We need to find a way to fit Murphy into the mix...sending him back for another year of juniors will do him no good in terms of development and he cannot be in Charlotte...in a perfect world, we get Suter or just give Allen a decent contract and maybe move Pitkanen or McBain as a part of a package for a forward.

Suter/Allen--Gleason

Faulk --McBain

Harrison--Murphy