The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
JLP

Confirmed: Skinner and Pitkanen out with concussions

Anyone else nervous that a day after a nasty hit from Sutton in the Oilers game, Skinner had "flu-like" symptoms after a practice where he was fine? The c word comes to mind when you hear that. Let's hope he didn't catch Pronger's "virus".

Edited by JLP

Yes.

And... Bowman recalled.

Sutton has a history, but you wonder if the amount of time he got for Poni's hit somehow had a Skinner factor in it we are only just now starting to speculate on publicly.

First, Tripp said, oh it's nothing to worry about, he had flu-like symptoms after practice and it shouldn't be an issue. Now on the website it says Skinner is out with an "undisclosed" injury, and Bowman gets recalled. I wish this team could play one game with everyone healthy, just once, and I bet they would win more games. But injuries happen, it can't be an excuse. Let's hope and pray that Skinner will be back on the ice soon, because without Skinner, we are not a Winner. :winner: <--- :tsktsk:

Edited by Dukefan711

First of all, Tripp is a moron and would be the last person to say something if he suspected a bigger problem. Second, this team has not had it bad with injuries this year. Granted, worse than last year, but last year was probably an NHL record low man games lost if they kept track of such things. We are carrying 8 D anyway, so they have been getting work. Now Bowman gets a chance.

There's a reason I started this as a thread rather than a one-off in the main thread. I have a feeling this is going to last a while. Hope not, but I have a bad feeling about this.

You could change the title and make it the 2011-12 injury update thread if you want. Thankfully we haven't needed one of these in a couple of seasons. If you decide to, don't forget to add Harrison and Boucher.

Anyone else nervous that a day after a nasty hit from Sutton in the Oilers game, Skinner had "flu-like" symptoms after a practice where he was fine? The c word comes to mind when you hear that. Let's hope he didn't catch Pronger's "virus".

There is always that chance cause he got rocked pretty good. Then again, it could be a number of lesser issues too but it is a suspicious how the front office all of a sudden went from flu-like symptoms to an (undiclosed) injury. I just hope they don't rush him no matter what it is. It has been quite obvious that Skinner has been targeted by more teams this year and the last thing we want or need is him turning into a Mark Staal case.

I dunno. It sounds like a concussion or concussion-like to me. Here's why I think thinking so:

- Tripp said that Skins practiced, and started feeling bad right after practice. Forget about Tripp's brush off for a minute. Just look at that fact. This is typical of post-concussion syndrome, i.e. feeling bad after you get revved up.

- He is being "evaluated" back in Raleigh. If it is influenza, I'm sure he didn't need to come back here for that.

EDIT: Chip from N&O has a blog entry today where Muller categorically denies that Skinner has concussion issues.

Skinner absorbed a big hit from the Edmonton Oilers' Andy Sutton in Wednesday's game. Canes coach Kirk Muller said Skinner had returned to Raleigh for evaluation. Asked if Skinner had any concussion issues, Muller said, "No, no, he's good."

So, I'll stop my speculating and take their word on it. It could be flu. Flu can hit 18 to 25 year olds pretty hard.

Edited by wxray1

My guess is that it started as the flu, but whatever residual effects from the Sutton hit began to really come to light after the practice. Maybe some soreness/tightness or whatever. I'll take Muller's word that it isn't concussion-related.

My guess is that it started as the flu, but whatever residual effects from the Sutton hit began to really come to light after the practice. Maybe some soreness/tightness or whatever. I'll take Muller's word that it isn't concussion-related.

I'll say this: some of the worst muscle pain I've had was during bouts of influenza. An athlete hit with true influenza can be heavily impacted. And it can hit you very suddenly too.

Skinner did not look like his cheery self even before the Sutton hit-in fact he didn't look like himself the game before that either...Let's hope for the best here and say it is the flu which still could put him out for a week or so :(

Get well soon :)

Edited by Pkling40

Here's more info from Dave Droschak at Hurricanes Beat, sure sounds like a concussion.

Is Skinner Latest NHL Concussion Victim?

What was even more interesting than the article was Dave's comments in response to a reader who thought Sutton's hit on Skinner was dirty:

Not sticking up for Sutton by any means, but with an open-ice hit like this, unless the guy throws out an elbow they aren't going to call anything dirty when one guy is 6-6 and Skinner, is maybe on a good day, 5-8. The problem is simple: teams don't have anyone to fear. Gleason is likely on his way out of town at the trade deadline, ditto for Allen, so why would they put themselves in harm's way. We refuse to pay decent money for a fighter, who can also play a little bit. We had a chance to land Avery off waivers and we whiffed. We could have played him with Skinner and anybody who breathed on the 19-year-old we could have let Avery loose like a mad man. You still need an enforcer of some magnitude.

The issue of player protection/enforcers will need to be addressed before jumping into our new conference next season which is known for its physical play.

The issue of player protection/enforcers the entire team will need to be addressed before jumping into our new conference next season which is known for its physical play.

Fixed ;)

Edited by Ichigo-1

While listening to the 'Canes vs. Jets game on the radio the other night, I heard someone in the background during a pause from Chuck Kaiton, say "are you telling me Skinner is concussed?" Sure hope he's not...I'd hate for him to be out as long as Crosby was/is. This team can't catch a break!

Here's more info from Dave Droschak at Hurricanes Beat, sure sounds like a concussion.

Is Skinner Latest NHL Concussion Victim?

What was even more interesting than the article was Dave's comments in response to a reader who thought Sutton's hit on Skinner was dirty:

The issue of player protection/enforcers will need to be addressed before jumping into our new conference next season which is known for its physical play.

Avery!? Avery is not an enforcer, Avery is a pest. Avery spends more time talking people out of fights then talking people into them.

That said, we need someone who can fight and take regular shifts on the fourth-line. There are plenty of guys like that out there. An example is Jared Boll, a Charlotte, NC native, and a legitimate tough-guy. Boller is not a bad hockey player either. Arron Asham is another one. Asham had that incident this year with Beagle, for which he apologized, but he generally has a reputation for being able to conduct himself professionally. If Brent moved up to the 3rd line, Konopka could center our 4th line. He can fight, win face-offs, and he's currently a plus player. An ideal candidate would be Prust, but I doubt the Rangers would give him up. I'm not saying we need a goon (i.e., a player who is incapable of taking regular shifts), but a guy can play on the fourth line, hit, and fight - doesn't he bring more to the table then a guy like Nodl who has speed but can't finish?

Well Milo beat me to it, I dunno what Dave's drinking over there but Avery is a pest and overall embarrassment to hockey nevermind the NHL.

How many times has Avery ran from a fight he was outmatched for? He's no fighter, he's just a clown who winds up in the box alot. He also wouldn't stand up for a teammate thats for sure and its been shown over and over when teammates wouldn't jump to his rescue.

Rutherford needs a tough guy because our best 2 defensemen don't need to be sitting in the box to send a message. With how bad this team is why not bring someone in to protect your assets that you need to still be intact to make this rebuilding "thing" worth it.

I'm praying, PRAYING that this isn't as serious as it's appearing to be. We definitely can't lose Skinner for an extended period of time, and I hope he isn't going to sit out as long as Crosby did (who is now out again with concussion symptoms). I'm still going to watch the games and hope for competitive hockey, but it might be time to look ahead to next year.

Droschak and Dusterberg (sounds like an accounting firm) have both been pushing the tough-guy need. Mainly in respect to how much Skinner is getting pushed around and how little some (especially Gleason) have done about it. Suggesting Avery loses them some credibility though.

Rutherford's line about Gleason/Allen/Harrison is a joke, they have 4 or 5 fights between them, most lost. And that "fight" by Gleason against Sutton was nothing. That said, Legend is right, we don't need and can't afford having those guys in the box. Bodie would have been a good keep but JR likes keeping those 4th line slots open for kids from Charlotte...

I wish someone could figure out what the heck is up with Gleason. Very disappointing to see him regress the way he has. Maybe he just doesn't like the leader and/or enforcer roles that have been put on him. Thought he was good for the long-term but I can't see him staying here, and coming up on UFA we need to get something solid for him. Never thought I'd say that about him. Weird.

Edited by JLP

Droschak and Dusterberg (sounds like an accounting firm) have both been pushing the tough-guy need. Mainly in respect to how much Skinner is getting pushed around and how little some (especially Gleason) have done about it. Suggesting Avery loses them some credibility though.

Rutherford's line about Gleason/Allen/Harrison is a joke, they have 4 or 5 fights between them, most lost. And that "fight" by Gleason against Sutton was nothing. That said, Legend is right, we don't need and can't afford having those guys in the box. Bodie would have been a good keep but JR likes keeping those 4th line slots open for kids from Charlotte...

I wish someone could figure out what the heck is up with Gleason. Very disappointing to see him regress the way he has. Maybe he just doesn't like the leader and/or enforcer roles that have been put on him. Thought he was good for the long-term but I can't see him staying here, and coming up on UFA we need to get something solid for him. Never thought I'd say that about him. Weird.

I think 1 of the issues with Gleason is---watching his exit interview from last season he was very PO'd at not making the playoffs-Looking at his age he wants/needs the chance at a legit cup run-we are not looking at that for this team this year so no matter what he does given the make-up of this team this season a cup run is not gonna happen-add in the fact that he is a UFA at the end of this season and well there you have it...I don't care who you are that would play on you. I don't think it's that he "does not" want to be here I think he was hoping things would go differently - weren't we all :(

Today's Skinner update from Chip/N&O:

Canes forward Jeff Skinner will miss tonight's game against the Toronto Maple Leafs and his return won't be determined until a medical evaluation in Raleigh.

Skinner, the Canes' top scorer, missed the Winnipeg game Friday. He is out with an undisclosed injury and has spent the past few days with his family in nearby Markham.

[...]

"He's a big part of this team and we're going to miss him and his skill level," Muller said after today's morning skate. "We'll evaluate him when we get back to Raleigh."

Doesn't sound like they're in a big hurry.

I think 1 of the issues with Gleason is---watching his exit interview from last season he was very PO'd at not making the playoffs-Looking at his age he wants/needs the chance at a legit cup run-we are not looking at that for this team this year so no matter what he does given the make-up of this team this season a cup run is not gonna happen-add in the fact that he is a UFA at the end of this season and well there you have it...I don't care who you are that would play on you. I don't think it's that he "does not" want to be here I think he was hoping things would go differently - weren't we all :(

I kind of have to agree with you on this point.

The way Skinner plays the game sometimes can be dangerous. He's still young and he's smart so he'll find a way to adapt. I cringe every time he cuts to the indside. With the new format next year a no nonsense player that sticks up for his teammates will be important. I'd actually like to see a Brandon Dubinksy on a line with Skinner. I know it's a pipe dream but we're on the Internet so it's all good.

Chip Alexander @ice_chip: On Skinner: Rutherford said Canes do not know if he was concussed or not. That will be determined by doctors in Raleigh.

If he is concussed, hopefully he'll recover as fast as Murphy did.

Edited by Blinding