The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
JLP

Confirmed: Skinner and Pitkanen out with concussions

Great now we cant trust what Muller says already. :)

Nah, I think Muller is just on the same page as us: he doesn't really have a clue what's going on with Skinner.

Chip interpreted "No, no, he's good" as a categorical denial. Didn't sound that way to me, but I'm not a journalist...

The confusion continues: On the Toronto broadcast tonight the anaylsts said that Skinner was out with a lower-body-injury then later talked about how he was among the list of superstars with concussions (Crosby, Giroux, and someone else). They were talking about how concussions were taking out the leagues most exciting players. I think if anyone in the media knew what was really going on it would be Toronto's media. Also, they would have no reason to hide the info or bury it from the fans like our media/organization might.

Chip Alexander @ice_chip: On Skinner: Rutherford said Canes do not know if he was concussed or not. That will be determined by doctors in Raleigh.

If he is concussed, hopefully he'll recover as fast as Murphy did.

That sure sounds like it was a concussion. First, there is not much flu out there right now. Second, the symptoms of actual flu are not the same as the symptoms of concussion (high fever being an obvious one). Third, one would not be even considering concussion unless there were a hit involved. When diagnosing flu one does not generally ask, "Oh, and have you taken any severe blows to the head in the last few days?". Lastly, whenever there is vagueness in the team's response and concussion is on the list, its usually concussion.

Don't get Muller's flat denial, unless he didn't really know, but then why the denial if you don't know?

Edited by remkin

Wow! Kinda reminds me of the season where we lost Cole and Williams to season ending injuries, and all of the River Rats (now Checkers) being pressed into service to help the team.

Good bye, season...let's get the young 'uns up ASAP.

This. Now is the time to really see what Dalpe and Boychuk have got. However, I'm sure JR is going to wait to trade our UFAs (and maybe others) until later when their value is at its highest.

2011 / 2012 - The year of the Concussion!

Sid, Letang, Pronger, Giroux, Skinner, Pits, Michalek, Mark Staal, Miller, & Reimer...have all missed time with concussions. Plus I'm sure there are more that I'm missing.

The NHL must try to figure something to help prevent this, or there will be more all stars on IR than on the ice.

Take your time in coming back Skinner. Your health is more important!!! Get well soon!

What's with the rising number of concussions in the league? Are there actually more concussions, or are more injuries considered concussions now? I don't get it.

I think the answer is "yes"...as awareness has grown across all sports there is increased sesnitivity to the issue. Players are not asked to "tough it out" any more. Although there are some that yearn for the old days, I think teams need to keep an eye out on their players and players need to be cautions about these injuries as we have seen that multiple concussions can certainly cut a career short and can also lead to long term damage.

I agree because you don't find out right away during games that are televised when the player is hurt and is not coming back. They don't even know what the injury is they just say "He wont be coming back" it's all their own speculation on what they think that could be wrong (Commentators). I hate that. Also how long now that Skinner and Pitkanen will be out with concussions? Because Pitkanen already been out more than a week. Skinner has missed two games now counting on Thursday it will be 3.

I believe that both the NFL and NHL are becoming more aware to the issue of concussions and the long-term impact they have on their players. This is no way makes the sport any less manly but is pressing the issue that playing a sport isn't everything in life. Life as a professional is a temporary thing. The few years spent playing in a league isn’t worth the impact of dealing with the impact from an injury whose repercussions can last a lifetime.

has anything beem said how long Boucher is goinh to be out?

Edited by colliefan

What's discouraging is I'm fairly sure Skinner's concussion from from the brain sloshing violently off the whiplash effect of the hit, I don't think his head slammed into the ground or even into his shoulder. What do you do about that? You can't add anymore plastics or foam to a helmet to stop the sloshing effect of the brain.

Edited by legend-1

I think I knew this would be the diagnosis but was hoping that Skinner might not have a concussion. Pitkanen too. Not a good day.

What's with the rising number of concussions in the league? Are there actually more concussions, or are more injuries considered concussions now? I don't get it.

In any industry, when you shine the spotlight on a safety issue, the reported incidents rises due to increased awareness.

This is unfortunate. With what we know about the long term effects of concussions, they really have to be carefull with these guys. It makes you wonder how the contact sports are going to procede in the future without doing away with much of the contact

I believe that both the NFL and NHL are becoming more aware to the issue of concussions and the long-term impact they have on their players. This is no way makes the sport any less manly but is pressing the issue that playing a sport isn't everything in life. Life as a professional is a temporary thing. The few years spent playing in a league isn’t worth the impact of dealing with the impact from an injury whose repercussions can last a lifetime.

has anything beem said how long Boucher is goinh to be out?

According to a tweet from Chip, JR said "Boucher would be out another couple of months". Months.

Also, JR was on 99.9 The Fan earlier and said that Harrison's injury was also a concussion, but that he may be back for Sunday's game.

Does anyone even know what's wrong with Bouch besides lower body injury?

Did he fall off the toilet?

Lower body injury during practice, I'm assuming it's a really bad pulled groin but who knows, he may be concussed as well.

Edited by Blinding

Rutherford on Skinner and Pitkanen concussions.

Canes Now - Chip Alexander

You Hate it for the players

Rutherford said with concussions there is no way to pinpoint when a player can return. Skinner and Pitkanen, 28, are listed as "day to day," but that's just hockey terminology.

"You don't know. It could be a week or two weeks, but you don't know,"

Read More