The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
JLP

Confirmed: Skinner and Pitkanen out with concussions

Add Ryan Murphy and we just need to let our guys rest rest and rest. Nail is looking really good. Whatever we do we have no need to rush anyone back.

Sounds like JR has capitulated.

Up until now, they were fast tracking everyone, trying to salvage the season. No more. Time to let guys heal and look for the long term.

That's a good thing.

Look, we all have to have an expectation adjustment (even you, OBXer*) and just sit back, relax, and enjoy the game at hand. Forget about the playoffs. Let it be. Enjoy the entertainment for that day. Let's hope JR brings up some kids and they do wondrous things. Let's hope JR puts his mind towards what will be a brutal new division next year and build carefully. Let's hope JR realizes he got lucky a few times on the retreads, and proceeds much more carefully, for next year.

In the meantime, maybe we'll win a few. Or have a few go to exciting shootouts, etc.

(* - OBXer: playoffs ain't gonna happen. Sorry, friend. Love your optimism though.)

Does anyone even know what's wrong with Bouch besides lower body injury?

I saw a film clip of two guys helping him off the ice during practice-----skating on one leg,

putting no weight at all on the other. John F said at the time that the injury seemed pretty

bad. I guess that it why they brought Justin Peters back up for longer term backup coverage.

Edited by UNCCaniac8

Just when I thought things could get no worse! This season is definately a wash now. Hope JR gives prospects a chance to show what they can do. With lowered expectations, watching the Canes will not ge as stressful now and may even hold a few surprises.

With lowered expectations, watching the Canes will not ge as stressful now and may even hold a few surprises.

have to agreee. now the Canes can switch to the role of being spoilers. I believe the last game of the season is against the kitty-kats in their barn. Would love to "return the favor" and kick them out of the playoffs.

With lowered expectations, watching the Canes will not ge as stressful now and may even hold a few surprises.

have to agreee. now the Canes can switch to the role of being spoilers. I believe the last game of the season is against the kitty-kats in their barn. Would love to "return the favor" and kick them out of the playoffs.

Couldn't agree more. If it comes down to one game for the Kitty's it would be so sweet to knock them out.

Get well soon guys! So now we bring up Dalpe, our best prospect, and let him show his stuff alongside the "2 captains"...and Harrison coming back, so the lineup should look something like this:

Dalpe-Staal-Dwyer

Poni-Jokinen-Ruutu

Tlusty-Sutter-LaRose

Nodl-Brent-Stewart

Gleason-Allen

Spacek-McBain

Harrison-Faulk

Ward

Peters

Sounds about right?

Edited by Dukefan711

What a lineup.

I'm gonna need more beer for this.

lol second that. Amazing how we've all relegated this season to suckage again...not even January yet. When did this franchise become so incompetent? No one answer that!

Anyways really stinks about Skinner and Pits. This concussion stuff is getting ridiculous everywhere. Giroux is out for the Flyers with a concussion as well. The game's best players are paying a price for these hits (although Giroux was kneed by his own dumb teammate). Now our best goal scorer is out, and our already bad lineup now becomes practically AHLish. Should be funnnnnnnnnnn

Get well soon guys! So now we bring up Dalpe, our best prospect, and let him show his stuff alongside the "2 captains"...and Harrison coming back, so the lineup should look something like this:

Dalpe-Staal-Dwyer

Poni-Jokinen-Ruutu

Tlusty-Sutter-LaRose

Nodl-Brent-Stewart

Gleason-Allen

Spacek-McBain

Harrison-Faulk

Ward

Peters

Sounds about right?

I would even go a step beyond

Boychuk Staal Poni

Dalpe Jokinen Ruutu

Bowman Sutter Tlusty

Stewart Brent LaRose

After practice today, Harrison took some sort of card and skated around the rink, backwards, staring at the card and shaking his head back and forth quickly. I assumed it was some sort of concussion test.

Get well threads have been posted for Jeff Skinner and Joni Pitkanen.

Many of you who are also members on other fan forums should feel free to pass the links along to anyone you think might want to add their well wishes to the threads. Any fan is welcome to add to the threads.

For those of you who aren't familiar with this, we post these Get Well threads so that anyone who wants to can add their thoughts to them and once they're complete, they get printed, made into a Get Well Book and delivered to the injured player.

Don't we need one for Boucher also ? (especially since his injury is apparently long term?)

Yes, just waiting for some info.

All three Get Well threads can now be found in the Tracking the Storm section of our message board to allow guests to be able to to contribute without having to register. Feel free to pass along the links to any other fans (on any other fan site) you think may be interested in contributing to the threads.

Get well thread for Jeff Skinner

Get well thread for Joni Pitkanen

Get well thread for Brian Boucher

Just when I thought this season couldn't get any worse...

At least we are in a position where there is absolutely no need to rush them.

This is exactly right. When Muller was hired the Hurricanes officially entered the rebuilding stage. Now we are getting a nudge from - call it what you want, the universe, God, whatever - to work on Muller's system, top to bottom, and to figure out who will buy in and who won't.

With realignment coming, as others have pointed out, JR and Muller will be working hard to get us the kind of aggressive, hard-working players we will need to compete is what is going to be an INCREDIBLY difficult conference next year.

Ignore the standings. Watch each game and look for the systemic changes Muller will institute. The guys who flourish between now and the end of the season will become the team's core going forward. Big moves coming over the summer.

Ignore the standings. Watch each game and look for the systemic changes Muller will institute. The guys who flourish between now and the end of the season will become the team's core going forward. Big moves coming over the summer.

I think the big moves will start happening at or before the deadline in Feb. I would expect no less than 6 or 7 new regulars in the Canes lineup by the start of next season, maybe even sooner.

This is exactly right. When Muller was hired the Hurricanes officially entered the rebuilding stage. Now we are getting a nudge from - call it what you want, the universe, God, whatever - to work on Muller's system, top to bottom, and to figure out who will buy in and who won't.

With realignment coming, as others have pointed out, JR and Muller will be working hard to get us the kind of aggressive, hard-working players we will need to compete is what is going to be an INCREDIBLY difficult conference next year.

With the Concussion-flu going around, it sure would be nice if we had another one or two true NHL scorers. Although Staal is struggling, he's all we've got until Jeff returns. How many times can we REBUILD after winning the Cup? The young guys in Charlotte are good AHL'ers but have never come close to a similar production when given an NHL shot...no matter the line they play on or what Tripp says on broadcasts. With the new alignment, we will need several rugged, skilled players to be competitive. I believe our best bet is to trade for quality because I don't think we can do off-season UFA signings of high-end players into a small-market with no realistic shot or committment at the Playoffs. The Top guys want to always have a shot at the Cup not to cellar-dwellers that talk a good fight.

I think the big moves will start happening at or before the deadline in Feb. I would expect no less than 6 or 7 new regulars in the Canes lineup by the start of next season, maybe even sooner.

No question the changes will begin during the season, but impact players will go to bonafide contenders for this years' playoffs. While we can make some moves in that environment, I think "big" deals will happen in the off season, because all teams will be trying to adapt their rosters to the realities of realignment.

With the Concussion-flu going around, it sure would be nice if we had another one or two true NHL scorers. Although Staal is struggling, he's all we've got until Jeff returns. How many times can we REBUILD after winning the Cup? The young guys in Charlotte are good AHL'ers but have never come close to a similar production when given an NHL shot...no matter the line they play on or what Tripp says on broadcasts. With the new alignment, we will need several rugged, skilled players to be competitive. I believe our best bet is to trade for quality because I don't think we can do off-season UFA signings of high-end players into a small-market with no realistic shot or committment at the Playoffs. The Top guys want to always have a shot at the Cup not to cellar-dwellers that talk a good fight.

Agree, but remember, the trade deadline is just for the rest of the season/playoffs. We can trade all summer, and are not limited to bargaining for Free Agents.

That being said, you have to trade quality to get quality. Don't expect another Kaberle Miracle in the off-season, and as you say, our AHLers in general are not going to count for much as throw-ins on deals. At some point JR needs to look at raising his self-imposed cap and/or convincing E. Staal that a change of scenery may be the best thing for all concerned. On the other hand, we will probably have a high draft pick.

There is also the very real possibility of rules changes in light of the concussion epidemic. At this writing there are 25 NHL players officially listed as out with concussions according to NHL Home Ice, and that total could increase by the end of the day. There is increasing talk of reinstating the two-line pass rule, and (again) possible changes to equipment. What this could mean in terms of the kind of team we need to build remains to be seen, but regardless, I'm thinking our offensive core will consist of guys like LaRose, Jokinen, Skins, Ruttu, Sutter. Speed, hustle, pucks on net has always been a successful strategy in the NHL and Muller is working to get us back to that.

Edited by top-shelf-1