The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
JLP

Confirmed: Skinner and Pitkanen out with concussions

Agree, but remember, the trade deadline is just for the rest of the season/playoffs. We can trade all summer, and are not limited to bargaining for Free Agents.

That being said, you have to trade quality to get quality. Don't expect another Kaberle Miracle in the off-season, and as you say, our AHLers in general are not going to count for much as throw-ins on deals. At some point JR needs to look at raising his self-imposed cap and/or convincing E. Staal that a change of scenery may be the best thing for all concerned.

There is also the very real possibility of rules changes in light of the concussion epidemic. At this writing there are 25 NHL players officially listed as out with concussions according to NHL Home Ice, and that total could increase by the end of the day. There is increasing talk of reinstating the two-line pass rule, and (again) possible changes to equipment. What this could mean in terms of the kind of team we need to build remains to be seen, but regardless, I'm thinking our offensive core will consist of guys like LaRose, Jokinen, Skins, Ruttu, Sutter. Speed, hustle, pucks on net has always been a successful strategy in the NHL and Muller is working to get us back to that.

The equipment argument rears its head every so often but this time I think it'll stay front and center. HNIC has addressed it on more than occasion over the past few seasons and now its starting to get some legs in the American media too. Yesterday it was the topic of discussion on XM and they were absolutely right, when a player steps out onto the ice wearing a coat of amour, he feels invincible. The old "keep your head up" all players constantly hear from their coaches from the time they learn to start checking can't possibly defend against a reckless player who feels protected and invincible behind his own coat of amour.

The equipment argument rears its head every so often but this time I think it'll stay front and center. HNIC has addressed it on more than occasion over the past few seasons and now its starting to get some legs in the American media too. Yesterday it was the topic of discussion on XM and they were absolutely right, when a player steps out onto the ice wearing a coat of amour, he feels invincible. The old "keep your head up" all players constantly hear from their coaches from the time they learn to start checking can't possibly defend against a reckless player who feels protected and invincible behind his own coat of amour.

Yup, you probably heard Scott Laughlin (with whom I seldom agree, BTW) say they need to just get Denny Potvin's gear from the mid-80s, order 700 sets and require they be worn by all players. The hard, exposed plastic needs to go away. Formed hardboard inserts with a layer of foam and cloth should be the standard.

I'm also completely down with tossing guys like Sutton and Downey who leave their feet. Zero tolerance. Do it once, you're gone for life, regardless of the injury inflicted on the other guy. The fact that Ponikarovsky was unhurt was sheer luck, but a player escaping unhurt should play no role in the discipline. Such hits have the potential to end careers, and should therefore end the career of any player throwing them.

Edited by top-shelf-1

Agree, but remember, the trade deadline is just for the rest of the season/playoffs. We can trade all summer, and are not limited to bargaining for Free Agents.

That being said, you have to trade quality to get quality. Don't expect another Kaberle Miracle in the off-season, and as you say, our AHLers in general are not going to count for much as throw-ins on deals. At some point JR needs to look at raising his self-imposed cap and/or convincing E. Staal that a change of scenery may be the best thing for all concerned. On the other hand, we will probably have a high draft pick.

There is also the very real possibility of rules changes in light of the concussion epidemic. At this writing there are 25 NHL players officially listed as out with concussions according to NHL Home Ice, and that total could increase by the end of the day. There is increasing talk of reinstating the two-line pass rule, and (again) possible changes to equipment. What this could mean in terms of the kind of team we need to build remains to be seen, but regardless, I'm thinking our offensive core will consist of guys like LaRose, Jokinen, Skins, Ruttu, Sutter. Speed, hustle, pucks on net has always been a successful strategy in the NHL and Muller is working to get us back to that.

You make a good point about trades in your last couple of posts but JR and PK need to keep their line in the water in case something big becomes available. Admittedly I'm a Staal bigot and would never want to see him leave for any reason. That said I think we could go after a high-end forward trade with a high-end defenseman, ie: Pitkanen or McBain, others have said Gleason before the deadline, and a 3rd or 4th liner like LaRose or Poni along with a high-end AHLer forward. As Scotty Bowman said in the last week or so, The Canes only have Staal, Skinner, and Ruutu. As for the concussion-flu, equipment changes and stricter enforcement even on un-called fouls. Perhaps Toronto Situation Room can review game hits and call in game ejections whether the official saw it or not. Then Shanahan can hand out really stiff multiple game suspensions on the 1st offense, if the Players Assoc will agree to it.

Yup, you probably heard Scott Laughlin (with whom I seldom agree, BTW) say they need to just get Denny Potvin's gear from the mid-80s, order 700 sets and require they be worn by all players. The hard, exposed plastic needs to go away. Formed hardboard inserts with a layer of foam and cloth should be the standard.

I'm also completely down with tossing guys like Sutton and Downey who leave their feet. Zero tolerance. Do it once, you're gone for life, regardless of the injury inflicted on the other guy. The fact that Ponikarovsky was unhurt was sheer luck, but a player escaping unhurt should play no role in the discipline. Such hits have the potential to end careers, and should therefore end the career of any player throwing them.

I'm all for the 3 strikes and your out policy. if they haven't changed their ways after the 2nd offense, they're not going to. It always the same names you hear over and over, year after year.

I'm all for the 3 strikes and your out policy. if they haven't changed their ways after the 2nd offense, they're not going to. It always the same names you hear over and over, year after year.

I can't agree when it comes to leaving one's feet. By the time a guy gets to the NHL there is all the video and anecdotal evidence necessary to show how he has played up to that point. If there is even one incident of leaving his feet to make a hit in his pre-NHL past, he should be put on notice: Try it even ONCE up here, and you're done. If there's no history, then I'd support a full season suspension (in games, not by the calendar) for the first offense, and if it happens again, sayonara.

Why give a goon three chances to end somebody's career?

IMO there is a "concussion-flu" going around because teams are better able to diagnose concussions and they are more worried about the player. Before they just kept playing.

How much did players make in the 80's?

I'm going to guess when you pay these guys as much as you do these days your going to protect what little assets you have and baby them.

I hope they are not out for to long. Pitkanen 3 games Skinner 2. I hope they can come back by next month or hopefully before the seasons end. Will they be able to go to Skate with the Canes this year even though they have injury's? I remember in 2009. Cole was out with a injury and he wasn't there. that's when I went.

Has anyone heard anything about how our guys are doing? Is there any talk about a timetable for return or severity of their concussions? I haven't heard a word, but I'm out of the market and I've been kinda out of the loop, media wise. Thanks.

Has anyone heard anything about how our guys are doing? Is there any talk about a timetable for return or severity of their concussions? I haven't heard a word, but I'm out of the market and I've been kinda out of the loop, media wise. Thanks.

I haven't seen much on either player. I did just read a tweet from Chip that Rutherford says their condition is unchanged. I guess that means they are still out indefinitely.

x