The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
jeromeo87

2012 NHL Trade Deadline

While I'm glad the Canes have been playing much better, I still think it's important for Carolina to be sellers at the deadline. Our UFAs are Gleason, Ruutu, Allen, Spacek and Poni.

Do you guys think we trade all of them?

Do you think both Ruutu and Gleason could fetch 1st rd picks?

Do you think JR could also trade some picks/prospects for a player under contract for multiple years?

Do you think any Canes' players who are not currently UFAs could be traded, as well?

Our UFAs are Gleason, Ruutu, Allen, Spacek and Poni.

I don't think all will be traded. My guess is 2 or 3

I don't think so

Do you think JR could also trade some picks/prospects for a player under contract for multiple years?

I do. We are at the stage in rebuilding you begin to make decisions on which prospects to keep. If a pick prospect can help get us a top six I think JR jumps on it.

Do you think any Canes' players who are not currently UFAs could be traded, as well?

Sure they could be traded. You have to give to get and some teams may want a roster player under contract.

My guess is that Gleason, Ruutu, and Poni are traded. I could see teams interested in Allen and Spacek, but it may prove to be too difficult to stay above the cap floor.

I can't even guess. I suspect all will be on somebodies list. I'm still holding out hope we claw our way back in the hunt and that could change everything. Even if we do some trades will be made but maybe not as many.

I think we will be sellers...however please JR remember to keep some "veteran talent" in the room! We have seen what NO chemystry can do to a team- Although it's been a rough season so far-the boys are finding their game.

Just don't trade everything away for picks/prospects-you have to start "building" sometime and changing out all but a couple pieces will not work-The guys we have lost in the past have hurt us-Wallin/Whitney/Cole/Seids/Corvo/Williams/Cullen the list goes on...

All young guys is an AHL team not NHL-Keep Spacek!

Edited by Pkling40

I think JR definitely keeps Ruutu. Not sure about the rest. I don't know if the D can afford to lose what little grittiness it has. Poni seems to have found his game again so I definitely see him gone to a playoff contender at the deadline. Could be rather hard for JR considering he has to receive salary for whatever he gives up. Maybe a team on the outside that may need a little jolt via roster move?

Playoff teams are always looking for D-men. I could see us trading 2 of the 3 named. You need to keep 1 or 2 veteran d-men even if you're rebuilding to help the young guys learn I think. I'm hoping Ruutu stays, though he would probably be worth the most in a trade. I think we should trade our best centers from Charlotte. With Staal, Sutter, and Jokinen they won't be helping the Canes anytime soon unless they move to the wing.

I'm just hoping we skip the "projects" keep legit/proven NHL players-Gleason/Rutuu/Spacek guys who already "fit" the team and system.Just sign them already.Stop "growing players" for other teams-Ladd (as an example)If we are "rebuilding" can we at least build the foundation first! The difference between a team that makes the playoffs every year and 1 that is hit and miss from year to year is a great poker player(GM).You gotta know which cards to throw away/which cards to keep and when to stand pat...It would be interesting to see the trade stats/moves of teams that make it to the playoffs every year (Red Wings) what is their player turnover rate?Water under the bridge but if you're serious about being a threat every year you keep players like Whitney/Cole/Corvo (foundation)you don't let some other team walk in a snag them.As for the UFA's Gleason, Ruutu, Allen, Spacek and Poni nothing says they have to be traded. I don't get why you trade someone who has/is playing well for you.In fact there is a reason why teams want Gleason and Rutuu for once JR-JUST SAY NO to trading them and sign them (if the will even stay some may want a shot at the cup this year)

Edited by Pkling40

My guess is that Gleason, Ruutu, and Poni are traded. I could see teams interested in Allen and Spacek, but it may prove to be too difficult to stay above the cap floor.

Here's a tidbit from a Pierre LeBrun article about this very thing. Bottom line, if we wait to closer to the trade deadline, everybody is in play.

Trade winds blow in Carolina

Whether they’ve been buyers or sellers over the years, the Carolina Hurricanes have usually been an active team ahead of the trade deadline and often much before the actual deadline day.

And they’ve got five pending UFAs on their roster that could be in play: defensemen Tim Gleason, Bryan Allen and Jaroslav Spacek as well as forwards Tuomo Ruutu and Alexei Ponikarovsky.

Here’s the catch for the Hurricanes right now, however: they can’t just go ahead with straight-up salary dumps in January in any trade because it risks moving them below the payroll floor. According to capgeek.com, the ‘Canes are at $51.4 million in payroll with the league’s floor set at $48.3 million this year.

Any deal they make in the short term has to be more of a hockey deal -- instead of just getting a draft pick or a prospect in return, they’ll need to get an NHL roster player back.

If they decide to wait right until the Feb. 27 trade deadline, by then the cap hit (and payroll hit) should be minimized, so they can go ahead and make any kind of deal they want.

Lots of teams, as always, will be looking for defensemen so veteran ‘Canes GM Jim Rutherford will be a popular phone call with his colleagues around the league.

Full article here: Trade Winds Blowing in Carolina

If memory serves me correctly it was almost unanimous on these boards that Whitney should have been traded at the deadline. Even afterwards, most didn't seem to want to sign him for 3 years when we were supposed to rebuild after the fiasco start that season. Same for Cole last year for a 4 year deal and NTC compared to Montreal's offer. After he signed many said good riddance after his comments at signing. Easy looking in the rear-view, isn't it?

This year JR needs to focus on next year's new division and the upcoming CBA outcome. With that in mind, IMO he should re-sign Ruutu and Gleason for a more rugged division schedule. Allen will likely be too expensive so he goes, with Spacek and Poni being expendable. There is an excess of forwards if Dalpe and Bowman stay, so some can be shed or dealt to teams' looking for playoff depth on their 3rd or 4th lines.

I think we should trade our best centers from Charlotte. With Staal, Sutter, and Jokinen they won't be helping the Canes anytime soon unless they move to the wing.

Did you start your New Years Eve drinking a little early? 2nd line center is one of the biggest needs this team has. The Juice needs to be moved back to the wing, but there is no other option.

I'm just hoping we skip the "projects" keep legit/proven NHL players-Gleason/Rutuu/Spacek guys who already "fit" the team and system.Just sign them already.

As for the UFA's Gleason, Ruutu, Allen, Spacek and Poni nothing says they have to be traded. I don't get why you trade someone who has/is playing well for you.In fact there is a reason why teams want Gleason and Rutuu for once JR-JUST SAY NO to trading them and sign them (if the will even stay some may want a shot at the cup this year)

JR does need to "Just Say No" to projects this off season. We have a roster full of them. What JR needs to do is have a heart to heart talk with all of the UFA's and get a feel on where they fit into the future of the Canes. Some of these guys may not intend on re-signing in Carolina and then JR needs to move them so he gets something out of the deal. Some may be committed long term here and will be looking to stay (maybe a guy like Ruutu since his BFF's are here). Also, keep in mind that a player can be traded at the deadline on a rental deal and then come back as a UFA (i.e. Joe Corvo).

I think JR desperately needs to identify the "leader" type players and make sure they don't get away. I'm really liking Spacek and Allen right now.

Here's a tidbit from a Pierre LeBrun article about this very thing. Bottom line, if we wait to closer to the trade deadline, everybody is in play.

Trade winds blow in Carolina

Whether they’ve been buyers or sellers over the years, the Carolina Hurricanes have usually been an active team ahead of the trade deadline and often much before the actual deadline day.

And they’ve got five pending UFAs on their roster that could be in play: defensemen Tim Gleason, Bryan Allen and Jaroslav Spacek as well as forwards Tuomo Ruutu and Alexei Ponikarovsky.

Here’s the catch for the Hurricanes right now, however: they can’t just go ahead with straight-up salary dumps in January in any trade because it risks moving them below the payroll floor. According to capgeek.com, the ‘Canes are at $51.4 million in payroll with the league’s floor set at $48.3 million this year.

Any deal they make in the short term has to be more of a hockey deal -- instead of just getting a draft pick or a prospect in return, they’ll need to get an NHL roster player back.

If they decide to wait right until the Feb. 27 trade deadline, by then the cap hit (and payroll hit) should be minimized, so they can go ahead and make any kind of deal they want.

Lots of teams, as always, will be looking for defensemen so veteran ‘Canes GM Jim Rutherford will be a popular phone call with his colleagues around the league.

Full article here: Trade Winds Blowing in Carolina

I'm actually not sure if I understand this. If the Canes wait Feb. 27, they don't have to worry about bringing salary back on?

I, myself, would like a new look for the Canes. Gleason and Ruutu have been awesome Canes, but maybe it's time to move on from them; let's try something new. Muller wants to change the culture around here to a winning culture, maybe he'll have to bring in new players to do so; maybe I'm completely wrong. Regardless, we aren't going to the playoffs, there is no reason to keep our UFAs. If they want to be back next season they will make themselves available for talks in the offseason.

I have heard so called experts say we will have a fire sale and anyone who can be traded (UFAs) will be on the table, I think out of that group at least 2 are gone.

Ruutu doubtful unless he is packaged with something/someone else. Gleason maybe if the team is desperate enough (flyers, rangers).

Yes, probably has a set of conditions, like has to be proven, under 30.

Its possible if they have the right deal.

One thing to consider also, we can't just have a fire sale and get rid of everyone, we have to still maintain the salary floor. So if we are trading we still have to take some salary back in. Covered in the post above.

Edited by Ichigo-1

I'm actually not sure if I understand this. If the Canes wait Feb. 27, they don't have to worry about bringing salary back on?

He's saying that the salary cap floor (48.3 million) is determined by your year-to-date spending. If we wait until the 27th of February, when all but 20 games have been played, we would still be able to reach the floor by the end of the year.

Which in essence, means we could dump over $12 million in salary at the deadline without taking on any money back in a trade, and cover the cap floor over the remaining 20 games in salary alone with 22 roster players, whoever they are, including prospects and call ups.

So, at that time, everybody is in play relative to trades.

Don't worry too much about the cap floor. It's easy to make a trade and add salary, or just sit someone else in the press box if we aren't carrying the max amount of players. It almost makes the Canes a more lucrative trade partner for another team because we may have to take some salary back. Most competitive teams have issues fitting guys in under their cap. JR may even be able to squeeze a little more out of the deals in the way of picks and prospects if he is willing to take on some salary.

I think Gleason and Ruutu will go for sure.

Ruutu maybe.

Yes, his MO has always been to make hockey deals that benefit both sides and a lot of times that includes picking up a player that will be in the long range plans for the Canes. Outside of Skinner, we haven't had many offensive picks that have been able to come in and make a huge difference yet so It wouldn't surprise me to see JR go after a top 6 player with a multi year contract rather than pay rediculous $ and risk not landing a FA next summer.

Yes, I think everyone not named Staal, Skinner, Ward and Sutter are fair game for the right price.

I think Gleason and Ruutu will go for sure.

Ruutu maybe.

Yes, his MO has always been to make hockey deals that benefit both sides and a lot of times that includes picking up a player that will be in the long range plans for the Canes. Outside of Skinner, we haven't had many offensive picks that have been able to come in and make a huge difference yet so It wouldn't surprise me to see JR go after a top 6 player with a multi year contract rather than pay rediculous $ and risk not landing a FA next summer.

Yes, I think everyone not named Staal, Skinner, Ward and Sutter are fair game for the right price.

I definitely see your point, but it just hit me: the young guys, Faulk, Bowman, Dalpe, are playing well and have a very good chance of making the team full-time next year. Those guys aren't making a lot of money, and IF JR does not find a trade to help bring in a top 6 player with a muli-year contract, it may make it easier during the offseason to bring in a veteran on a one year deal worth quite a bit of money to get to the floor, no? I'm not sure if they would be interested in coming here, but see if maybe someone like Jagr would be interested in a 1 year $4.5-$5 mil deal to come here.. Jersey sells would definitely go up.

I think its highly probable that at least one or two of the younger guys will find their way on the full time roster next year, and with their lower salaries, it'll make it easier to add that higher priced player. Not sure Jagr would be my first choice but its not unreasonable to think Jr would want to bring in a veteran star player for a year or maybe two while the younger players settle in to the NHL permanently. We've seen what having too many young players with little veteran leadership has looked like so hopefully that lesson has been learned.

I guess we'll have to wait and see what JR can do trade wise before we start speculating about UFAs. Though, if not Jagr, I don't really see anyone else worth dumping cash on. Return of Whitney? But he's simply not worth THAT much. I guess we could offer Lidstrom $7 mil..haha. Hey, who knows.. I think I remember reading something about Lidstrom's kid wanting to find a good college here in the US..

While I'm glad the Canes have been playing much better, I still think it's important for Carolina to be sellers at the deadline. Our UFAs are Gleason, Ruutu, Allen, Spacek and Poni.

Why Not? It's time to let go of any sentimental attachment to anybody on this team outside the core, none of which are UFA's.

Separately, probably not. But packaging Ruutu and Gleason together would add some grit and scoring depth for any team looking to making a push, and could bring back a first rounder from a desperate team. And there will be some as we approach the deadline.

We need skill big time. This year's fiasco in building the team can't be repeated. Unfortunately, I don't think we are deep enough to trade picks and prospects for an elite talent without giving away our first. More likely those would be packaged with a roster player going the other way.

JR needs to look at the competition in our Division next year. Real hard, IMO. That may answer that question.

Edited by coastal_caniac

In addition to salary considerations is there also an age consideration? Do the Canes want to bring Witney back into the fold?

In addition to salary considerations is there also an age consideration? Do the Canes want to bring Witney back into the fold?

Well I don't know about JR...But I want to bring Whitney back on to the fold :)

Well roster players we could be interested in for top teams

Van D Edler 2012 3.25 mil RFA after that

LAK D Voynov 2012 RFA

NYR C Anisimov 2012 1.87 mil RFA after that

BOS LW Marchand 2012 2.5 mil RFA after that

Maybe some roster players we can get from lower teams that could sell

CLB D Nikitin RFA next season. They have plenty of high priced D men so they might be willing to trade him

CAL D Butler- he's a great shutdown guy but he's cheap at 1.25 mil so I doubt they trade him

I just looked at younger guys so there may be a few guys over 27 that may be available.