jeromeo87

2012 NHL Trade Deadline

A little more insight from JR via the HurricanesBeat:

Gleason gets extension wile Hurricanes weight offers

x

A little more insight from JR via the HurricanesBeat:

Gleason gets extension wile Hurricanes weight offers

x

I’m keeping an open mind to all things with the Ruutu situation,” said Rutherford.

We really don’t have anybody we feel we have to move — a contract we don’t like, or we don’t like the player. That will all just run its course. We may end up keeping them all...."

On the one hand JR is basically setting his position of strength by saying we don't really have to move anyone. Good ploy.

On the other hand I just think Ruutu is kind of like Gleason in many ways. A guy that really should ideally be part of the core. A guy, like Cullen and the newest version of Cole that will be hard to replace. <div><br></div><div>I read some hope into those comments that Ruutu might follow in Gleason's footsteps. Now the ice has been broken on the not negotiating. The option could be there.

</div>

Edited by remkin

The guys on Insider Trading said earlier tonight it looks like Ruutu will be moved this week. We shall see..

probably can't justify the expense, but should he be traded and his jersey go on sale at "The Eye", I am buying one

It may not be just a front JR's putting on. I mean what good would it do us to trade him to a playoff team for some mid/late 1st round pick and some prospect who may or may not end up on the roster. They aren't going to trade something they value, and if its not valuable to a playoff team why would it be valuable to us? At this point, i wouldn't be the stereotypical "seller" at the deadline because we're already short on quality players. And with the recent talk of going after high end free agents in addition to what will most likely be a top 5 pick, we'd stand a better chance of improving on the good. Unless we trade quality for quality and quality for maybes.

Hmmmm, maybe Evander Kane needs a new home in a market known to allow players to have private lives?

The Kane Mutiny - Winnipeg Sun

Although if some of that stuff is true, he might not fare too well here either.

You wouldn't take a mid/late 1st round pick and a prospect for Ruutu? Come now..

Not at the expense of losing a 20 goal scorer, seeing as though we only have 3. If by prospect you mean someone with at least some proven success at the pro level, that'll be another story

Not at the expense of losing a 20 goal scorer, seeing as though we only have 3. If by prospect you mean someone with at least some proven success at the pro level, that'll be another story

You understand that he would be replaced, right? - Maybe not this year, but definitely in the offseason.

Besides the goals, he brings a lot of energy and physicality to the ice every night plus character to the locker room. We have enough prospects, don't you think ... unless you mean Bobby Ryan or James Van Riemsdyk!

Besides the goals, he brings a lot of energy and physicality to the ice every night plus character to the locker room. We have enough prospects, don't you think ... unless you mean Bobby Ryan or James Van Riemsdyk!

We do have a lot of prospects, but I get the feeling some will be used in a trade to bring in some scoring. Besides, this is the NHL folks: If you don't make the playoffs you trade your UFAs for picks/prospects. We all like Ruutu, but wouldn't you rather use the salary used on him to put towards a true top line winger? Ruutu is going to be seeking a $4 mil contract this offseason. IMO, that doesn't fit well with this team.

You understand that he would be replaced, right? - Maybe not this year, but definitely in the offseason.

We haven't had a scoring replacement ever since they started the semi-rebuild. Although i will agree with you that while i love ruutu as much as the next guy, there's no way to justify giving him 4mil a year while jokinen, who's a better player only makes 3mil

While i don't consider Ryan or JVR prospects, those 2 are more along the lines of return i'd like to see for ruutu. I'm not opposed to the idea of him being traded, it's just a matter of it making hockey sense

We do have a lot of prospects, but I get the feeling some will be used in a trade to bring in some scoring. Besides, this is the NHL folks: If you don't make the playoffs you trade your UFAs for picks/prospects. We all like Ruutu, but wouldn't you rather use the salary used on him to put towards a true top line winger? Ruutu is going to be seeking a $4 mil contract this offseason. IMO, that doesn't fit well with this team.

How is Ruutu not worth $4 million?

How is Ruutu not worth $4 million?

I didn't say he wasn't; I said that contract woudln't fit well with this team. I think the money that we spend on Ruutu can and should be put towards a true first line winger.

I am by no means a Ruutu-hater, but we have to be realistic. We are a self-imposed cap team that needs a serious top line winger. I also think this team needs a serious second line center, something else Ruutu is not.

IMO, Ruutu is not really a first line winger, and to give him a $4 mil contract wouldn't work here. Especially IF JR goes after a top free agent this offseason, which he said is very possible, AND with Skinner's contract renewal coming up..

If JR finds a way to keep Ruutu without the ruining the chance of getting a first line winger or a true second line center, sure - I'm all in. I just think that will be very hard to do.

I'd like to know what salespitch JR's going to make to sign these top UFA's that are going to be significantly overpaid through UFA by teams with money.

We won't pay you as much but our winter's feel like summer? If we happen to make the playoffs we go deep? Expecially looking at some of the FA's hitting the market who likely not only want a pay day but to start seeing some action in the playoffs which we have no reputation of.

I'm calling BS on JR signing a top FA. I can't see one wanting to be here unless Muller can put on the snakeoil.

I didn't say he wasn't; I said that contract woudln't fit well with this team. I think the money that we spend on Ruutu can and should be put towards a true first line winger.

I am by no means a Ruutu-hater, but we have to be realistic. We are a self-imposed cap team that needs a serious top line winger. I also think this team needs a serious second line center, something else Ruutu is not.

IMO, Ruutu is not really a first line winger, and to give him a $4 mil contract wouldn't work here. Especially IF JR goes after a top free agent this offseason, which he said is very possible, AND with Skinner's contract renewal coming up..

If JR finds a way to keep Ruutu without the ruining the chance of getting a first line winger or a true second line center, sure - I'm all in. I just think that will be very hard to do.

I guess it's where you classify Ruutu. IMO he's definitely a top 6 forward, Seems most NHL talking-heads think he's a top 6 forward. In Dec Scotty Bowman said the Canes only have 3 true top 6 forwards: Staal, Ruutu, & Skinner. He can play power forward or center. JR said he expected the new media contracts to give him more financial room. So Ruu could sign for about $4m-$4.5m and still have room for another UFA/Trade top 6 forward contract, especially if we happen to move Pitkanen and/or Spacek. If we lose Ruutu, we will need a couple of good UFA/Trade forwards.

Edited by whbailey

I guess it's where you classify Ruutu. IMO he's definitely a top 6 forward, Seems most NHL talking-heads think he's a top 6 forward. In Dec Scotty Bowman said the Canes only have 3 true top 6 forwards: Staal, Ruutu, & Skinner. He can play power forward or center. JR said he expected the new media contracts to give him more financial room. So Ruu could sign for about $4m-$4.5m and still have room for another UFA/Trade top 6 forward contract, especially if we happen to move Pitkanen and/or Spacek. If we lose Ruutu, we will need a couple of good UFA/Trade forwards.

Never. Said. He. Was. Not. A. Top. Six. Forward.

I just know JR should go after a true first line winger (something I don't really think Ruutu is) and a second line center. I really like Ruutu, but I really don't like him at center. IMO, JR needs to make sure he gets the 1st liner and the 2nd line center before he locks up Ruutu. He might be able to do that, and I would be very happy. I'm just not sure if he can.

I'd like to know what salespitch JR's going to make to sign these top UFA's that are going to be significantly overpaid through UFA by teams with money.

We won't pay you as much but our winter's feel like summer? If we happen to make the playoffs we go deep? Expecially looking at some of the FA's hitting the market who likely not only want a pay day but to start seeing some action in the playoffs which we have no reputation of.

I'm calling BS on JR signing a top FA. I can't see one wanting to be here unless Muller can put on the snakeoil.

Unfortuately, I feel you are right. Not sure JR could handle the bidding or that his hand could sign the contract. If we happen to get somebody via trade, he could be gone when his contract expires. Definitely don't want a Jeff Carter in Columbus attitude situation.

I disagree. Without Ruutu there is a huge hole in the top 6 that cannot be filled with the likes of Dalpe/Bowman/Boychuk. There aren't many physical forwards that can score that either make it to FA or are on the block. I think JR can save money other ways and still have enough money to resign Ruutu and get a top line forward. Keep in mind that there is going to be a lot of money that needs to be spent to make it to a cap floor.

I disagree. Without Ruutu there is a huge hole in the top 6 that cannot be filled with the likes of Dalpe/Bowman/Boychuk. There aren't many physical forwards that can score that either make it to FA or are on the block. I think JR can save money other ways and still have enough money to resign Ruutu and get a top line forward. Keep in mind that there is going to be a lot of money that needs to be spent to make it to a cap floor.

I really hope you're right. The only real way I see us having the money to spend on keeping Ruutu (because I do think some serious money is going to be spent on a top line winger) is if we trade Pitkanen. But again, IMO, of course, we have 2 glaring needs that I don't think Ruutu fills. Is he a first line winger? Not really. Is he a second line center. Not really. Why not spend the $4 mil on fixing one of those problems. Those two positions need to be filled first.

Again, I'm not a Ruutu hater, at all. I've really enjoyed him here. I have a puck signed by him sitting three feet above my head for goodness sake! It's just that I don't think spending $4 mil or however much is what's best for this team, because I don't think they are going to get a first line winger, a second line center, AND sign Ruutu. But hey, here's to hoping I'm wrong.

And we aren't going to know about the likes of Dalpe/Bowman/Boychuk until they're given an extended chance in a top 6 role.

Lets face it we need scoring. Ruu is one of our point leaders and IMO a true top 6 forward. Ruu isn't our problem and I would be alright with us signing him. But can we sign him? I'm not sure and if JR isn't sure IMO he has to look at a trade. A lot changed with the Gleason signing so maybe we will keep him. But this team has problems and from what I have seen so far from the prospects maybe 2 possible 3 might be able to make the leap and one of them is a defensemen.

Time to keep who we want, promote who we want, go get who we want and put the others on the block.

I really hope you're right. The only real way I see us having the money to spend on keeping Ruutu (because I do think some serious money is going to be spent on a top line winger) is if we trade Pitkanen. But again, IMO, of course, we have 2 glaring needs that I don't think Ruutu fills. Is he a first line winger? Not really. Is he a second line center. Not really. Why not spend the $4 mil on fixing one of those problems. Those two positions need to be filled first.

Again, I'm not a Ruutu hater, at all. I've really enjoyed him here. I have a puck signed by him sitting three feet above my head for goodness sake! It's just that I don't think spending $4 mil or however much is what's best for this team, because I don't think they are going to get a first line winger, a second line center, AND sign Ruutu. But hey, here's to hoping I'm wrong.

And we aren't going to know about the likes of Dalpe/Bowman/Boychuk until they're given an extended chance in a top 6 role.

I also agree a second line center is much needed. I think that could be addressed via trade with a piece like Pitkanen. At the same time though Skinner could eventually play center. When he recently played a few games at center I really liked his play in his own zone for a smallish 19 year old. Keeping Ruutu would also help with depth in the top six. This isn't my decision however, and I do realize it is better to get assets if you think you can't resign someone.

I understand the idea of trading Pitkanen's salary to sign Ruutu. But, what would the defense look like going into next season with him gone? Both Allen and Spacek are UFA's, and at least one of those will probably move shortly. McBain is an RFA.

Pitkanen

Gleason

Allen?

McBain

Harrison

Faulk

Spacek?

Joslin

Murphy?

Sangs?

Dumo?

etc...