The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
jeromeo87

2012 NHL Trade Deadline

Not sure if anyone actually said it, but not only is Ruutu a top 6 forward, but he's one of the best second line forwards in the NHL, and based on points, he really is actually a top 3 guy.

When healthy he is good for 20+ goals and 55 points per year. The last two seasons that would put him as the #65 forward in terms of points (last year he actually finished number 60).

30 teams with 3 top 3 forwards = 90 FIRST line forwards in the NHL based on productivity. Ruutu was very solidly within this group at #60. First line.

Now with Ruutu on the second line, we are even that much better.

We all lament the loss of Cole and how great he was last year.

Well Ruutu was better. Cole #79 with 52 points. Ruutu #60 with 57 points.

And he hits people. And he is a class act. And he has an infectious love of the game. And .....he is core.

JR, I know you're reading this...SIGN RUUTU!!!!!

Edited by remkin

I didn't say he wasn't; I said that contract woudln't fit well with this team. I think the money that we spend on Ruutu can and should be put towards a true first line winger.

I am by no means a Ruutu-hater, but we have to be realistic. We are a self-imposed cap team that needs a serious top line winger. I also think this team needs a serious second line center, something else Ruutu is not.

IMO, Ruutu is not really a first line winger, and to give him a $4 mil contract wouldn't work here. Especially IF JR goes after a top free agent this offseason, which he said is very possible, AND with Skinner's contract renewal coming up..

If JR finds a way to keep Ruutu without the ruining the chance of getting a first line winger or a true second line center, sure - I'm all in. I just think that will be very hard to do.

I agree with every word. The one thing Philly, Pittsburgh and Boston has over every other team is how solid they are down the middle. I think for the time being, Skinner should stay at wing. That's why i think we should try to trade ruutu for that position instead of getting draft picks and prospects. I mean Pittsburgh has very mediocre wingers except neal, but they have crosby/malkin/staal.

I understand the idea of trading Pitkanen's salary to sign Ruutu. But, what would the defense look like going into next season with him gone? Both Allen and Spacek are UFA's, and at least one of those will probably move shortly. McBain is an RFA.

Pitkanen

Gleason

Allen?

McBain

Harrison

Faulk

Spacek?

Joslin

Murphy?

Sangs?

Dumo?

etc...

The one thing i've learned and hopefully JR has learned is we could live without Joni. It's not like our defense has struggled without him, and our offense isn't worse by him not being there. Harrison has stepped up big time, Allen's really consistent, Faulk has improved since the beginning of the year, I'm not sure where all this Gleason sucks chatter started but the man was a +7 at one point and is our only + defenseman, Mcbain is so awesome sometimes but his lack of physicality really frustrates me, Spacek is just here to rid us of Kaberle, but even he's solid, it's unfortunate how Joslin has regressed since last year. Maybe his contract could be hard to move. I don't see him landing us a 2nd line center, but having his contract removed could shore up extra money to get more of a defensive defenseman, which i'd bet is what Muller really wants

Wonder if Muller could get Carter to play here and Rutherford could do it? Cap friendly, top tier second line center when he's playing and healthy.

I agree with every word. The one thing Philly, Pittsburgh and Boston has over every other team is how solid they are down the middle. I think for the time being, Skinner should stay at wing. That's why i think we should try to trade ruutu for that position instead of getting draft picks and prospects. I mean Pittsburgh has very mediocre wingers except neal, but they have crosby/malkin/staal.

I don't think you're going to find a team to trade us their second line center for a UFA in Ruutu. Pitkanen could get us a second line center and maybe more. But like Coastal said, our D is one big question mark with Pitkanen not here. He would have to be replaced by someone, probably through free agency, and I'm not sure who all is available.

Wonder if Muller could get Carter to play here and Rutherford could do it? Cap friendly, top tier second line center when he's playing and healthy.

Looking at his talent alone, yes please. However, he was traded out of Philly because of apparent locker room issues - now things aren't working out in Columbus.. So, I'm not so sure about him..

I don't think you're going to find a team to trade us their second line center for a UFA in Ruutu. Pitkanen could get us a second line center and maybe more. But like Coastal said, our D is one big question mark with Pitkanen not here. He would have to be replaced by someone, probably through free agency, and I'm not sure who all is available.

Looking at his talent alone, yes please. However, he was traded out of Philly because of apparent locker room issues - now things aren't working out in Columbus.. So, I'm not so sure about him..

I agree he would have to be a part of some package deal. I think Anaheim is the perfect candidate because his brother, his game fits their style, they got a lot of money tied up on their top line, and they've mentioned their top 3 players being on the block. Due to his health, while i don't think his (Joni's contract is hard to move (see kaberle), i don't see him landing us high quality as far as a top center unless we sweeten the pot. I do think he may could land us Carter, no way does JR take that contract based on years alone.

At the same it has overall been a disaster in Columbus. He's been injured as well. I'd be wary too but man he would be that much needed right handed sniper.

Im really going to miss Ruutu if we lose him. As someone else said, he is exactly the kind of guy I would want if we didnt have him. He is a sniper-he can score and he is super physical. And as has been said, he seems like a great guy. How can you not love Ruutu? He even has an awesome name! I think he is most surely top 3 talent and Id be happy to pay him 4 million. As much as I like Jokinen as well, I think Ruutu is definitely the better player. Jussi is super smart, a great playmaker, and has great deking ability, but he has looked a little slow this year and isnt producing as much.

I agree now that we should trade Pitkanen. I like him, but we really dont need him and he has lots of trade value. He could help out our top 6, and with Murphy coming next year and Faulk/McBain this year, we have no shortage of offensive defensemen. Id be happy to trade McBain as well. Apparently he is appealing for his offensive ability, but I have always seen him as a liability on D.

I hope JR impresses us over the next few months. I feel like the opportunity is there to really build a great team. Hopefully he wont Cole/Kaberle it up.

I want to reiterate what everybody else is saying, i've met most everybody on the team, you will never find a greater person than ruutu. He Tim Conboy, and Jussi are the only 3 players i've met that'll have a real conversation with you instead of just the usual "thanks for the support." I feel that when injury free, he gives his best effort every game.

Having said, he is a streaky player. He'll have great spurts where he'll put up great numbers, but sometimes it's like he's not there. He's not the threat to score night in and night out like a skinner or Jussi. To me, he's not worth 4mil for this team. He could easily get that elsewhere. The only reason he got that much in the 1st place was because ryan clowe got a similar contract with similar numbers, and he was getting close to arbitration.

I think with the 2 recent trades we made in addition to harrison, faulk, tlusty improving, and recent comments from JR, i think the hurricanes are slowly starting to do things the right way instead of the save a buck/hope to get lucky way.

Now trade McBain? When they've paired him with someone that's got some experience (not friggin' Joslin), he's looked fine. Right now, Faulk may be better in his own zone and is a more physical guy, but McBain is much better bringing the puck up the ice and hitting the open man. Plus, he's our best PP point man if you subtract Joni.

I think Faulk's ceiling will eventually make him a better defensman, but there's no reason to give up on McBain. He's only 24, and has more 2 more years of experience over Faulk.

If McBain is traded, he better bring back a young, proven top-6 forward. To do anything less, would be mis-management of our own home grown talent. Just my opinion, of course.

Man, I'm reading SO MANY articles about SO MANY teams wanting to acquire Ruutu. Names being thrown out there that could be involved in acquring Ruutu include Mason Raymond, Chris Stewart, and Clarke MacArthur.

It appears the bidding wars have begun, and it looks like the team that does end up with Ruutu may have to do so with a slight overpayment.

So JR has a couple of things to made decisions about: 1) creating cap space and 2) locking-up 2-top 6 forwards by the Trade Deadline or under FA. We already have 1-top 6 forward in Ruutu, so to sign him JR may have to trade a couple of contracts, ie: Pikanen, Spacek, etc.

As JR said this week, another increase to the cap room will come from the new TV and new radio contracts this summer. In addition, the big unknowns are the new investors motivations and maybe raising 1st & 2nd level tickets by $2-$5. Any of this could be used for that FA deal for a top 6 scoring forward.

On NHL.com they are talking about Trade Talk. Toumo Ruutu is the main focus a long with it. He said that "Every NHL team is interested in me, I must be playing that good to get traded". Seems like he wouldn't mind getting traded but he is one of our top scoring players this year. Do we really want to get rid of him so fast after being here for 3 years.

On NHL.com they are talking about Trade Talk. Toumo Ruutu is the main focus a long with it. He said that "Every NHL team is interested in me, I must be playing that good to get traded". Seems like he wouldn't mind getting traded but he is one of our top scoring players this year. Do we really want to get rid of him so fast after being here for 3 years.

IMO he seems be so easy going, he'd like it here or he'd like it any place he feels appreciated. I agree with you on what the Canes would be losing and for what. Nobody is going to do a big deal for a "rental' player. Guess it's up to JR & PK.

Watching the NHL channel after the game, they talked a bit about who might be traded from the Hurricanes after the highlights from the game. Chris Johnston mentioned that there seems to be a change regarding Ruutu. JR has said he has had casual talks with Ruutu's agent. The conclusion was that Ruutu may not be traded. They listed Spacek and Allen as likely to be traded, based on what they could bring to a playoff team, and given the big minutes that Faulk is playing.

Watching the NHL channel after the game, they talked a bit about who might be traded from the Hurricanes after the highlights from the game. Chris Johnston mentioned that there seems to be a change regarding Ruutu. JR has said he has had casual talks with Ruutu's agent. The conclusion was that Ruutu may not be traded. They listed Spacek and Allen as likely to be traded, based on what they could bring to a playoff team, and given the big minutes that Faulk is playing.

Thats an interesting turn of events. I would not be unhappy if we re-sign Ruu. We still need to get a power forward but perhaps that will happen over the summer.

Now after scoring a big goal tonight RUUTU can not be traded!!!!

My gosh, did you see his composure handling that puck and to be able to spin and shoot it!?! And the check he threw to break the puck loose on Staal's goal. Come on JR!!

Hm.. I think this may be JR using his media card to try and up Ruutu's value

Hm.. I think this may be JR using his media card to try and up Ruutu's value

Ruutu is doing a fine job with that himself ;)

I'd keep a close eye on Boston. I can't remember what publication I read it in but since they moved Rich Peverley up to the top 6 to replace Nathan Horton, and Horton isn't getting much closer to returning, they think it'll be a lot easier to find a replacement for their 3rd line wing rather than their top line. And since they're desperately seeking defensive depth, I could easily see a trade with the Canes for either Spacek or Allen and one of our many 3rd line wingers. Not sure what they'd be sending back our way.

x

Rangers have traded Erik Christensen and a 7th round pick to the Minnesota Wild for forward Casey Wellman who is being assigned toCT Whale. Salary clearing for something bigger?

As per Bob McKenzie on twitter: Based on talks with scouts re: 2012 draft class, won't be surprised if 1st round picks used as trade currency in coming weeks. #draftnotdeep

Not sure what they'd be sending back our way.

Corvo or Seids?

I can't imagine we would want Corvo back and the B's would be as foolish as we were if they let Sieds get out of town.