The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
jeromeo87

2012 NHL Trade Deadline

I'd keep a close eye on Boston. I can't remember what publication I read it in but since they moved Rich Peverley up to the top 6 to replace Nathan Horton, and Horton isn't getting much closer to returning, they think it'll be a lot easier to find a replacement for their 3rd line wing rather than their top line. And since they're desperately seeking defensive depth, I could easily see a trade with the Canes for either Spacek or Allen and one of our many 3rd line wingers. Not sure what they'd be sending back our way.

x

I, too, think we are going to have some kind of deal with Boston. They need a rugged top 6 winger and a dman. Ruutu and Allen, anyone?

I still think a 1st rd pick, Caron, and Cross is a nice return for Ruutu and Allen.

Yeah, we don't need anymore prospects, but I just don't see a team giving up a top 6 forward under contract for another top 6 forward who is not under contract. I guess we shall see..

Yeah, we don't need anymore prospects, but I just don't see a team giving up a top 6 forward under contract for another top 6 forward who is not under contract. I guess we shall see..

If the player is underperforming on a current contract they might be interested. Player could need a change of scenery. You're right though, we'll see.

I, too, think we are going to have some kind of deal with Boston. They need a rugged top 6 winger and a dman. Ruutu and Allen, anyone?

I still think a 1st rd pick, Caron, and Cross is a nice return for Ruutu and Allen.

I would take that deal with Boston in a minute. Very fair for both teams. We get a late 1st round pick, & two good prospects...both are not far from being NHL ready with Caron doing the AHL / NHL dance, & Cross in his final season at BC.

I would take that deal with Boston in a minute. Very fair for both teams. We get a late 1st round pick, & two good prospects...both are not far from being NHL ready with Caron doing the AHL / NHL dance, & Cross in his final season at BC.

I don't know. That seems like a lot for a couple of UFA rentals. I'm a "re-sign Ruutu" guy but if JR wants to let him go, I hope you're right about the return value ,,, although at this stage the B's 1st rounder will be just a couple of picks before our 2nd round (a little dark humor!).

A tricky thing trading for the pick. Ideally trade to a bubble team, which Boston is not. Or at least a team likely to exit quickly in the playoffs, so that pick is higher. Not sure how much JR looks at that, probably not too much, maybe a little.

Now I favor keeping Ruutu if at all possible, but the one thing about getting a nice mid round 1st round pick is that thing could be traded. We'd have two (or more if we get a second for Allen) seconds and two firsts. We could easily trade the lower first and 1-2 seconds as part of a deal to get a guy.

Edited by remkin

Was watching the Habs get beat by the Caps this afternoon. They would love to get rid of Gomez and that contract. I starting thinking "salary dump" where JR does that favor, but gets something valuable. Part of their dump is to take some dump back from the Canes. Gomez centers 3rd or 4th line for next 2 years. Would you do either of these trades:

Habs 2012 1st and Gomez (2 years left at $5.5 and $4.5 with $7.35 Cap Hit) for LaRose (1 yr $1.9) or Joslin ($750K)

If you think Cole's remaining 3 years are (now) ok and would take him back:

Habs 2012 2nd, Cole and Gomez (2 years left at $5.5 and $4.5 with $7.35 Cap Hit) for LaRose (1 yr $1.9) and Joslin ($750K).

Frees plenty of Cap space for a Habs team under pressure and gets Staal a winger. Thoughts?

Was watching the Habs get beat by the Caps this afternoon. They would love to get rid of Gomez and that contract. I starting thinking "salary dump" where JR does that favor, but gets something valuable. Part of their dump is to take some dump back from the Canes. Gomez centers 3rd or 4th line for next 2 years. Would you do either of these trades:

Habs 2012 1st and Gomez (2 years left at $5.5 and $4.5 with $7.35 Cap Hit) for LaRose (1 yr $1.9) or Joslin ($750K)

If you think Cole's remaining 3 years are (now) ok and would take him back:

Habs 2012 2nd, Cole and Gomez (2 years left at $5.5 and $4.5 with $7.35 Cap Hit) for LaRose (1 yr $1.9) and Joslin ($750K).

Frees plenty of Cap space for a Habs team under pressure and gets Staal a winger. Thoughts?

That's a horrible trade. I wouldn't even accept that trade if Gomez had a $1 cap hit. I wouldn't even want Gomez for free. Cole is the Canadiens best forward right now and they definitely are not going to move him just to unload Gomez.. Furthermore, the Hurricanes let Cole go because of the contract he just signed with the Canadiens. Lastly, the Hurricanes will NEVER be a team that trades for bad contracts. Ever. Unless they become the Quebec Hurricanes. This might be the first trade I've ever seen that is completely awful for both teams involved.

Edited by Justin8649

We are getting better play from Brent at 4th line center then the Habs are getting from Gomez. It also looks to me like the best years are behind Gomez while Brent is improving.We also have Sutter² in the wings. I can't imagine the Habs adding a number 1 draft pick for LaRose or Joslin but if they did then I suppose you have to think about it but I don't think that would happen. Pass

I doubt Cole would wave his NTC to come home. He looks like he is having fun in Montreal. I think it is time we both just move on. Pass

Agree with OBXer and Gomez's best years look to be behind him. I wouldn't be opposed to a Cole return but I too think that ship has sailed. I do have some concerns that JR may have sold his soul to Montreal to unload that Kaberle contract and I wonder what the return favor may look like someday.

I don't know. That seems like a lot for a couple of UFA rentals. I'm a "re-sign Ruutu" guy but if JR wants to let him go, I hope you're right about the return value ,,, although at this stage the B's 1st rounder will be just a couple of picks before our 2nd round (a little dark humor!).

Ruutu's value is increasing(1st rounder, & Prospect)...and throwing in Allen who could get a 2nd round pick by himself makes the deal fair for the Bruins. Are the overpaying a little for rentals...yes, but are they keeping two good players off other cup contenders rosters while improving their team...YES!

I would prefer to keep Ruutu, but I feel he is going to be very hard to re-sign. You must take into count his last contract negotiations as a RFA. If he would have been an UFA back then he would have been gone. He took JR to within a few days of arbitration. This is the first time he has the right to see his true market value.

Ruutu's value is increasing(1st rounder, & Prospect)...and throwing in Allen who could get a 2nd round pick by himself makes the deal fair for the Bruins. Are the overpaying a little for rentals...yes, but are they keeping two good players off other cup contenders rosters while improving their team...YES!

I would prefer to keep Ruutu, but I feel he is going to be very hard to re-sign. You must take into count his last contract negotiations as a RFA. If he would have been an UFA back then he would have been gone. He took JR to within a few days of arbitration. This is the first time he has the right to see his true market value.

If we let Ruu go, I hope you're right on what he can command in a trade. JR said all the calls he's be getting are for individuals and not for a bundle of players; but that was earlier in the week, I believe.

Agree with OBXer and Gomez's best years look to be behind him. I wouldn't be opposed to a Cole return but I too think that ship has sailed. I do have some concerns that JR may have sold his soul to Montreal to unload that Kaberle contract and I wonder what the return favor may look like someday.

To be clear, it is NOT about getting Gomez, but instead about getting something for the "favor" being done for Montreal with that contract, less whatever offset you send back. Beside, his value is so low that expectations are minimal. Any upside beyond the net contract values would be a plus.

This is the type of deal that could be done after the deadline or in the off-season.

From spector's hockey..

The talk is the Leafs are willing to offer up either C Joe Colborne or C Nazem Kadri to the Hurricanes for C Tuomu Ruutu.” The Sharks are also believed to have interest in Ruutu.

NHL Eastern Conference trade deadline outlook - USA Today

With the NHL trade deadline three weeks from Monday, the Carolina Hurricanes seem to be everyone's favorite partner.

NHL-Eastern-Conference-trade-deadline-outlook-C5UTTK5-x.jpg

Karl B DeBlaker AP

Carolina Hurricanes winger Tuomo Ruutu is the hottest name in the trade deadline market.

General manager Jim Rutherford hopes his team rockets into contention, but the more likely scenario is the Hurricanes becoming a major seller. Tuomo Ruutu (16 goals) is the hottest trade name.

Ruutu will be an unrestricted free agent, as will defensemen Bryan Allen and Jaroslav Spacek. Teams usually move potential unrestricted free agents rather than lose them for nothing.

The cost for Ruutu could be high. Last year's hot rental player, Tomas Kaberle, went to the Boston Bruins for prospect Joe Colborne and a first- and second-round pick.

Full article here

And it looks like Boston is in play for every player out there:

BOSTON GLOBE: Kevin Paul Dupont reports the Bruins still have vacancies to fill, specifically those left by Mark Recchi (retired), Michael Ryder and Tomas Kaberle (free agency). He suggested as possible targets Phoenix’s Ray Whitney, Columbus’ Vinny Prospal, Carolina’s Tuomo Ruutu, Buffalo’s Drew Stafford, Montreal’s Hal Gill, Carolina’s Jaroslav Spacek, Islanders Steve Staios or Milan Jurcina…He speculates possible power forward targets for the Maple Leafs could be Anaheim’s Bobby Ryan or Corey Perry…Dupont doesn’t buy the theory the Sabres might move Ryan Miller at the trade deadline…Some club might make a pitch for disappointing LA Kings winger Dustin Penner…

Here is the problem I see with JR making "the trade" right now. No contending team is going to be wanting to trade away the player we need right now because they are trying to add and not subtract. Any non-contending team with a player JR would want (top talent under contract for a couple of more years at a reasonable rate), is going to probably be able to get a bigger return from a team looking to make a playoff push. JR would probably be better off acquiring assets now that could be bargained with in the summer rather than try to get a top talent right now.

Here is the problem I see with JR making "the trade" right now. No contending team is going to be wanting to trade away the player we need right now because they are trying to add and not subtract. Any non-contending team with a player JR would want (top talent under contract for a couple of more years at a reasonable rate), is going to probably be able to get a bigger return from a team looking to make a playoff push. JR would probably be better off acquiring assets now that could be bargained with in the summer rather than try to get a top talent right now.

If JR does go after a high quality forward before the trade deadline, it would have be either from a non-contender wanting a chemistry change (ie: Anaheim) or a contender that needs defensemen (ie: Philadelphia). The Ducks have Bobby Ryan, age 24; and Philly has Jake Voracek (RFA or UFA?) and Van Riemsdyk (IR w/ concussion)... both 22. If he can't put this together by the deadline, you are right about garnering assets for the off-season.

With rumblings of discussions with his agent and the more time that passes, I think it is less and less likely that we trade Ruutu...the real assets we have are with the wealth of defensemen and defensive prospects on this team. We can move one or two of those peices for a top line winger. Here's another interesting stat...over the games from Jan 3 to the W versus the Kings we've given up an average of 2.15 goals per game and that is with the 2 5 goal stinkers against Nashville and the Isles. During that time Joni hasn't played at all and we were without Spacek for a few to boot. In all liklihood, Ryan Murphy is with the team next year and guys like Levi and Doumalin are not far behind. A package of Boychuk and Pitkanen could very well net an excellent winger to play with Staal.

With rumblings of discussions with his agent and the more time that passes, I think it is less and less likely that we trade Ruutu...the real assets we have are with the wealth of defensemen and defensive prospects on this team. We can move one or two of those peices for a top line winger. Here's another interesting stat...over the games from Jan 3 to the W versus the Kings we've given up an average of 2.15 goals per game and that is with the 2 5 goal stinkers against Nashville and the Isles. During that time Joni hasn't played at all and we were without Spacek for a few to boot. In all liklihood, Ryan Murphy is with the team next year and guys like Levi and Doumalin are not far behind. A package of Boychuk and Pitkanen could very well net an excellent winger to play with Staal.

Think Philly would bite for Van Riemsdyk or even RFA/UFA Voracek?

Think Philly would bite for Van Riemsdyk or even RFA/UFA Voracek?

I think they very well might and man, I would love to see JVR on this team. I mean Holy Cow...

JVR Staal Ruutu

Bowman Skinner Jussi

LaRose Sutter Tlusty

Nodl Brent Dwyer

With that lineup, I'd honestly still like to see Dwyer or LaRose moved up and Brett Sutter brought up to play wing on the 4th line. Other than that, I think we'd be a pretty ferocious team for a long time.

I think they very well might and man, I would love to see JVR on this team. I mean Holy Cow...

JVR Staal Ruutu

Bowman Skinner Jussi

LaRose Sutter Tlusty

Nodl Brent Dwyer

With that lineup, I'd honestly still like to see Dwyer or LaRose moved up and Brett Sutter brought up to play wing on the 4th line. Other than that, I think we'd be a pretty ferocious team for a long time.

I think you're right, especially if Bowman and Tlusty keep improving. I also like Samson and Nash's potential too.

I think you're right, especially if Bowman and Tlusty keep improving. I also like Samson and Nash's potential too.

Agree on both...I thought Nash had a good call up this time around. He and Bowman had a very good game vs LA...I think Dalpe still deserves a chance to come up and play and I am curious to see what Dandonov has to offer as well. Boychuk is definitely trade bait and I think, unfortunately that Dalpe may be as well.