The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
jeromeo87

2012 NHL Trade Deadline

With rumblings of discussions with his agent and the more time that passes, I think it is less and less likely that we trade Ruutu...the real assets we have are with the wealth of defensemen and defensive prospects on this team. We can move one or two of those peices for a top line winger. Here's another interesting stat...over the games from Jan 3 to the W versus the Kings we've given up an average of 2.15 goals per game and that is with the 2 5 goal stinkers against Nashville and the Isles. During that time Joni hasn't played at all and we were without Spacek for a few to boot. In all liklihood, Ryan Murphy is with the team next year and guys like Levi and Doumalin are not far behind. A package of Boychuk and Pitkanen could very well net an excellent winger to play with Staal.

Agree with your last sentence, and though Joni could be moved at JR's wim I doubt it'll happen without him being healthy first and Kirk getting a better look at him when he is closer to being 100% or, unless there is a prolonged setback.

As for right now though, I think there is way too much uncertainty about his status and availability for other GMs, especially contenders, to be throwing their picks, prospects or established players at JR.

Then there is his "hometown discount" to stay here too and JR's reputation which could suffer quite a bit. If he was as shrewed as some of you in here hope and he trades Joni (or Jussi or Gleason for that matter) anyways, I'm sure a lot of good players would not be as forthcoming in future negotiations since they can't trust him. Sure, it's all part of business and hockey but I'm sure it won't go unnoticed on others and it will only be about the big bucks afterwards.

Yes, our GA per game has improved of late even without Joni, but at the same time we have also struggled more on offense. We have scored more than three goals only three times in the past 15 games. I'm not saying Joni is THE answer, but if you pay attention to how far our forwards have to fall back to bring the puck out of our zone all the time, or our D's lack in joining or leading our rushes, Joni talent to do just that is sorely needed. Murphy has the same talent, better even imo, but he might still be years off.

Well since Stewart was put on waivers today, i would say Stewart and Ruttu are going to Ottawa for a 1st round pick and some leftover Allstar jerseys. Unless Stewart get picked up which he probably will. I wonder if they are waving him to make room for a trade or shed cap room? I think its pretty obvious Ruttu, Spacek, Allen, Stewart are all going away. I think the team is going to dump as much as they can and see what happens with the CBA. We still have a core team even without those guys. Also hope they either dump Larose or Dwyer. They are one in the same except Dwyer is cheaper.

Well since Stewart was put on waivers today, i would say Stewart and Ruttu are going to Ottawa for a 1st round pick and some leftover Allstar jerseys. Unless Stewart get picked up which he probably will. I wonder if they are waving him to make room for a trade or shed cap room? I think its pretty obvious Ruttu, Spacek, Allen, Stewart are all going away. I think the team is going to dump as much as they can and see what happens with the CBA. We still have a core team even without those guys. Also hope they either dump Larose or Dwyer. They are one in the same except Dwyer is cheaper.

LaRose is a better player than Dwyer, he's good on the 3rd line and he's a great locker room guy. I think he'd be missed. Dwyer is a great guy and he gives everything he has but I think that at the end of the day, he needs to be shipped out or put on waivers to make room for the young guys.

Agree with your last sentence, and though Joni could be moved at JR's wim I doubt it'll happen without him being healthy first and Kirk getting a better look at him when he is closer to being 100% or, unless there is a prolonged setback.

As for right now though, I think there is way too much uncertainty about his status and availability for other GMs, especially contenders, to be throwing their picks, prospects or established players at JR.

Then there is his "hometown discount" to stay here too and JR's reputation which could suffer quite a bit. If he was as shrewed as some of you in here hope and he trades Joni (or Jussi or Gleason for that matter) anyways, I'm sure a lot of good players would not be as forthcoming in future negotiations since they can't trust him. Sure, it's all part of business and hockey but I'm sure it won't go unnoticed on others and it will only be about the big bucks afterwards.

Yes, our GA per game has improved of late even without Joni, but at the same time we have also struggled more on offense. We have scored more than three goals only three times in the past 15 games. I'm not saying Joni is THE answer, but if you pay attention to how far our forwards have to fall back to bring the puck out of our zone all the time, or our D's lack in joining or leading our rushes, Joni talent to do just that is sorely needed. Murphy has the same talent, better even imo, but he might still be years off.

Right or wrong, I put a lot of value on the "hometown discount" that Joni gave JR. So maybe a d-man/prospect deal would have to be with Spacek and/or Allen, instead of Pitkanen.

LaRose is better offensively and a good pest but Dwyer is by far the better defensive man, cheaper and a lot faster. Considering the role that they play on the ice, I'd give the position to Dwyer if forced to make that decision.

We locked up Pitkanen to a good deal, so I'd keep him for a while. I like Allen, Ruutu, Stewart and Spacek but they all need to go for various reasons. Ruutu should get us something nice in return and we'll free money by letting him go. Spacek and Stewart filled holes, but it's time to let the Checkers have those positions. Allen, well, he's like Ruutu to me, I love him on this team, but we can get something good for him and he's getting pricy - that money can go elsewhere, like perhaps that top line forward we've needed since... what 2006-2007?

If we lose Rutuu we have another void to fill with an unproven player. Have we not learned from Tkabs, Poni, and Stewart. All were huge busts. I hope JR does not make the same mistake again that he did with Cole and Whitney...

I think it's a little funny how everyone complains when the team isn't winning, but hardly ever wants to let any of the players go..

Yep, it's like hating Congress but everybody saying throw the bums out except my guy! But with the Canes, I think Capt Kirk has them looking pretty good. Getting a young scoring top 6 forward may be the missing ingredient, assuming Staal regains his scoring touch, and the further development of Bowman, Tlusty, etc. Losing Allen and Spacek, I hope the defense will hold up with the youngsters: Faulk, McBain, Joslin, Murphy, etc.

I think it's a little funny how everyone complains when the team isn't winning, but hardly ever wants to let any of the players go..

I've seen enough under Muller to not be a fan of a full-on rebuild, if that's what you are talking about. If anyone feels like I do, we all vary on which player to retain and build around. So, maybe it appears that way.

On a separate note, the rest of us did get T-Kabs right. :woot:

Edited by coastal_caniac

I don't think it is going to be a full on rebuild. I think their is a plan and that includes keeping much of what we have but not all. I think the team will be different next season (maybe at the end of this season) but dumping all our UFA and trading veterans for the sake of change isn't part of it.

I will be surprised if more then two Chex make the team next year.

Having said that some of our favs are bound to go.

I'm in sit back and see what happens mode.

:popcorn:

Me too-Just enjoying the ride :) At least I don't feel like throwing up anymore LOL.

I think the ship has been somewhat righted-now whats the old saying-"Let's not throw the baby out with the bath water"

If they fit just sign them would ya...and see what Capt.Kirk and his crew can do

LETS GO CANES

If we lose Rutuu we have another void to fill with an unproven player. Have we not learned from Tkabs, Poni, and Stewart. All were huge busts. I hope JR does not make the same mistake again that he did with Cole and Whitney...

+1 Well said.

As I mentioned earlier, IMO we only need a skilled top 6 scorer and maybe another Skinner or Skinner-lite in the draft. Otherwise I think Muller has things going pretty good looking forward.

Well now that the team is winning it is hard to want get rid of dudes that are contributing like Ruutu and Allen.

I hope JR does not make the same mistake again that he did with Cole and Whitney...

That proves my point, we need to trade Ruutu - what did we get for Cole in a trade? Nothing. What did we get for Whitney in a trade? Nothing. They both left us because they wanted something JR couldn't give them. If he had matched what Montreal was offering, we'd be broke and stuck with another massive contract that limits our options way too much. If he had signed Whitney to 2-3 years, everyone would be after JR's head for signing someone "too old". In both cases, we held on to them, they left and we got nothing in return.

If Ruutu wants to play here, he can come back after the season is over just like he would if we didn't trade him. What's the problem?

That proves my point, we need to trade Ruutu - what did we get for Cole in a trade? Nothing. What did we get for Whitney in a trade? Nothing. They both left us because they wanted something JR couldn't give them. If he had matched what Montreal was offering, we'd be broke and stuck with another massive contract that limits our options way too much. If he had signed Whitney to 2-3 years, everyone would be after JR's head for signing someone "too old". In both cases, we held on to them, they left and we got nothing in return.

If Ruutu wants to play here, he can come back after the season is over just like he would if we didn't trade him. What's the problem?

IMO, JR needs to try to re-sign Ruutu before the trade deadline. If that doesn't work out, then he should think about trading him. Losing him will create a big top 6 hole, along with needing another top 6 forward regardless of Ruu's status.

There's been one person no one has mentioned that could be an excellent trade option and that is Brian Boucher. Unfortunately, being on IR really hurts his value and option to trade him to a contending team. A solid veteran who has tons of playoff experience could garner a TOP 6 forward, again IF healthy.

There's been one person no one has mentioned that could be an excellent trade option and that is Brian Boucher. Unfortunately, being on IR really hurts his value and option to trade him to a contending team. A solid veteran who has tons of playoff experience could garner a TOP 6 forward, again IF healthy.

Not even close. He could get us a late draft pick or a busted prospect or a bottom 6 player. IF healthy.

I like the quote from Burke in the article

"Do a graphic for any year — the math doesn't work," Burke said. "Fourteen to 16 teams add players. Prices are inflated, and there is one Stanley Cup parade at the end of the season. The trade deadline is a pit of quicksand."

But then I found myself asking when was the last time the Leafs were in that parade.

I like the quote from Burke in the article

"Do a graphic for any year — the math doesn't work," Burke said. "Fourteen to 16 teams add players. Prices are inflated, and there is one Stanley Cup parade at the end of the season. The trade deadline is a pit of quicksand."

But then I found myself asking when was the last time the Leafs were in that parade.

And aren't they pretty involved on trade deadline day? :lol:

And aren't they pretty involved on trade deadline day? :lol:

I hope they are this year. It was rumored that Burke was willing to offer Colborne or Kadri for Ruutu. That is, of course, just a rumor. But I would love either one of those guys.