The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
jeromeo87

2012 NHL Trade Deadline

Interesting conversation going on between the Yahoo Sports and ESPN writers:

cotsonika With Gleason and Prospal signings -- and Ruutu possibility -- sellers are buying back their own guys. More value than a trade.

Real_ESPNLeBrun Pierre LeBrun

you wonder how much CBA uncertainty heading into the summer plays into all this...

cotsonika

Yep.

I like the quote from Burke in the article

"Do a graphic for any year — the math doesn't work," Burke said. "Fourteen to 16 teams add players. Prices are inflated, and there is one Stanley Cup parade at the end of the season. The trade deadline is a pit of quicksand."

But then I found myself asking when was the last time the Leafs were in that parade.

I wish we had Boston's luck with giving up a top-six (Kessel) for a 1st rounder, then watch the other team bottom out next season like Toronto did. Imagine if the Habs had given up their 1st round pick for Cole at the deadline, we'd have two top-six picks.

I wish we had Boston's luck with giving up a top-six (Kessel) for a 1st rounder, then watch the other team bottom out next season like Toronto did. Imagine if the Habs had given up their 1st round pick for Cole at the deadline, we'd have two top-six picks.

The Bruins actually got TWO 1st rounders for Kessel. They got Seguin in 2010 and then Dougie Hamilton in 2011.

The Bruins actually got TWO 1st rounders for Kessel. They got Seguin in 2010 and then Dougie Hamilton in 2011.

Tanks. My bad. With all the hype about Seguin and Kessel getting tarred and feathered by the Toronto Media last season I forgot about Hamilton.

Interesting conversation going on between the Yahoo Sports and ESPN writers:

cotsonika With Gleason and Prospal signings -- and Ruutu possibility -- sellers are buying back their own guys. More value than a trade.

Of course if more teams sign their UFA's the price could get wacky on the few available rentals.

Is anyone else tired of seeing us call a kid up then sending him down 3 days later, let the kid get some minutes, I am not referring to 1 player it seems like there are more than a handful that are put in this situation, and I still dont understand this Anthony Stewart move, Waivers? nobody wanted him so we are gonna take him back? He hasnt done enough good nor bad for me to like or dislike him I just cant figure out why we still have him? we put him on waivers for cryin out loud. maybe he can go join sean avery in NY:RedLamp:

Is anyone else tired of seeing us call a kid up then sending him down 3 days later, let the kid get some minutes, I am not referring to 1 player it seems like there are more than a handful that are put in this situation, and I still dont understand this Anthony Stewart move, Waivers? nobody wanted him so we are gonna take him back? He hasnt done enough good nor bad for me to like or dislike him I just cant figure out why we still have him? we put him on waivers for cryin out loud. maybe he can go join sean avery in NY:RedLamp:

I think but I'm not sure that we have 30 days to send him down once he cleared waivers. I'm going to guess that after the trade deadline we will call a couple of Chex up for an extended look. I'm not sure if Stewart will be Charlotte bound or sitting in the press box. It could also be a wake up call for Stewart. Sort of one last chance to show he can contribute or else.

It really doesn't bother me that we are calling Chex players up for a quick look. Muller needs to see where their strengths and weaknesses are before deciding who he wants up. The Chex players also get a taste of what it will take for them to stay in Carolina and where they need to improve their game

I can see why teams would be interested in Jussi. He can play center or wing and he excels in the Playoffs. He did take that hometown discount and I think even without a NTC he would have to be alright with a move before we pulled the trigger. I hope this is just a lot of talk and nothing more.

The Fourth Period is saying calls are coming in about Jussi...

http://www.thefourth.../car120208.html

Earth to NHL blogosphere: We are desperately thin at top 6 forward, particularly of the playmaking variety. We are not only not trading Jussi we might sign Ruutu, so stop looking leeringly at our top forwards.

On Ruutu, clearly I want badly to resign him, in part because of all he brings, and in part because history has shown it is very hard for this organization to replace guys like him. But if he is asking for the moon or if we're being offered the moon, or both, it might be hard to pass up what is offered.

Edited by remkin

From PuckDaddy.com:

The 7 Defensmen that could make an NHL Trade Deadline impact:

5. Jaroslav Spacek, Carolina Hurricanes

Acquired by the Hurricanes in the Tomas Kaberle deal, the 37-year-old makes $3,833,333 against the cap. He's not all that physical, logs around 17 minutes of ice time, but he's got Stanley Cup Finals experience from his days with the Oilers. Also, has lovely skin after receiving a facial from Milan Lucic.

2. Bryan Allen, Carolina Hurricanes

Spacek's the bigger name, Allen is the cheaper player ($2.9 million) and, frankly, the better defenseman in 2012. The 31-year-old plays 19:03 per game in a shutdown role, leading the Hurricanes with 117 blocked shots. The type of player who can go from "We Traded For Who?" at the deadline to being credited as the final piece of a title puzzle.

Only Hal Gill was ranked higher than Allen.

From PuckDaddy.com:

Only Hal Gill was ranked higher than Allen.

Well let's sign him too then.

Or could he fetch a first rounder? Hmmm. If Allen could bring a first rounder I'd have to say goodbye. Keep Ruutu though.

And I wonder what Spacek could fetch. If we could get a decent pick for him it would be decent recovery on the Kaberle debacle.

Or could he fetch a first rounder? Hmmm. If Allen could bring a first rounder I'd have to say goodbye. Keep Ruutu though.

And I wonder what Spacek could fetch. If we could get a decent pick for him it would be decent recovery on the Kaberle debacle.

It would be nice if we could get Van Reimsdyk from Philly for the 2 d-men.

Edited by whbailey

The comments under the article are comical, I like this offer:

Scott Gomez for Ruutu and Eric Staal
Wouldn't mind him on the Canucks, but not for the price Rutherford's asking. It amazes me how one Stanley Cup 6 years ago gets this team so much leverage, I mean they've made the playoffs once in the past 5 years. Seriously, should you really be resigning everyone?

I've been out of the loop for a while, so I may have missed it, but haven't seen much talk here about Allen. Normally I'd agree with you about the first rounder, but with the draft as thin as it is this year I'm not so sure about that. The guy has been extremely solid this year, and is the mega-shot-blocker we had been missing since Seids left. Injury history, but only 31 (prime age for D). Stand up guy. Even +/- on a -29 team. I think you could make an argument for keeping him. If moved, how is he replaced? That said, I suspect JR will move him and Spacek if the returns are in the ballpark. As for Spacek, we lost nothing in that deal since Kabs was a free agent. Spacek was a great return himself; if he were to consider a massive pay cut, he'd be worth keeping too (better than Joslin).

I guess you can put me in the "few pieces away" group. And mostly on the front end, at that. Assuming Murphy comes up, I'm generally happy with the rest of the D as is (though of course I'd welcome a Suter instead of Allen, if PK were inclined to spend that much). Faulk has been impressive learning on the job so fast (faster than McBain). The front end is where the work is needed most, though.

Edited by JLP

I like Allen and I think he's pretty cheap considering his talent... Considering Spacek is as good as gone, I want to keep Allen. I think he's too good to let go, especially considering we will not find a FA to replace him with, let alone one cheaper. Who knows what Joslin is like on the ice... we never see him play. So if it were between the two, it's risky to let Allen go and not know if that solid Gleason-esc defenseman position we have enjoyed will be a gaping hole like days of old. I was mad when we traded Alberts... so to me, Allen is the correction of that mistake and I don't want to see that trade come back to bite us again.

Last I read, Suter is off the trading block, so there is a good chance he wont go anywhere.

Edited by jb_online

We are in last place. We need to add more pieces to the puzzle. We need to make room to play young players so we can identify prospects we want to keep. We need to make some moves at deadline to set up trades and acquisitions in the off-season.

Well something has to give on the defense.

I think some are thinking maybe we add a proven higher end guy back there. I'm not so sure we do that.

Murphy supposedly has some pretty amazing high end skills, and might make the team next year.

So:

Gleason

Faulk

Allen

Harrison

Joslin

McBaIn

Spacek

Pitkanen

Murphy

Free Agent?

That's 9+ guys. The only one's I'd say are absolutely solidly cemented in are Gleason and Faulk.

Who stays? Who goes?

I'm starting to wonder if Pits will be on the block. Will he be back before the deadline? I think we've seen some decent work from Faulk, Gleason, McBain, Harrison, Spacek and Allen.

And as rem said, we've got 9+ guys back there. Does JR use Pits to get a top-6 forward? I think the D has proven that they can play w/o Pits. I could see Allen going for a draft pick (allowing Joslin to move into a more prominent role) and Pits going for a top-6 on the way back.

We're not gonna make the playoffs this year, but I agree we need to use what chips we have to build for next season. Pits, provided he can come back and prove healthy, is one of the few guys we have that could garner a high value back to us.

Joni is not going anywhere IMO. I'm surprised so many would deal him away. I'd like for Muller to see him first-hand through the remainder of this year. If coach doesn't see a fit, then deal him during the off-season, but not now.

Joni is not going anywhere IMO. I'm surprised so many would deal him away. I'd like for Muller to see him first-hand through the remainder of this year. If coach doesn't see a fit, then deal him during the off-season, but not now.

I think your absolutely correct. Muller hasn't seen Joni play yet and we have no idea how he will fit. My guess is he will fit ok but only time will tell.Last I read Joni is expected to be able to play sometime in March.

Yet we will need to move players at trade deadline and after the season unless JR is satisfied that what we have can be a better team next season.