The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
jeromeo87

2012 NHL Trade Deadline

I'm sorry guys, I don't want to seem contrary or overly negative again, but the Canes are no better than 26th in the league when you look at any defensive rankings [goals against(26th), shots against (30th), penalty kill (27th)] How is that decent work? Our team defense sucks, again. Cam is seeing more rubber than anyone else in the league save Craig Anderson, again.

I'm not putting it all at the feet of the defenseman either. Staal had a poor start, no doubt. But we have a gaping hole at the center ice position. We tried Ruutu, and that didn't work. Jokinen seems best suited as a play-making winger. And all anyone had to do is watch the game last night to see Skinner is nothing but a liability there, at least right now.

I think fixing the defense starts there, by adding a legit second line center. Until we do that, it's almost a waste of time to be talking about who we keep, let go, etc. on the blue line.

As far as the 7 guys on the back end, I don't think we have proven anything as far as how we are playing without Pitkanen. Aren't we in last place in the East, and 28th in the league in the standings.

As far as the 7 guys on the back end, I don't think we have proven anything as far as how we are playing without Pitkanen. Aren't we in last place in the East, and 28th in the league in the standings.

Difficult to argue with facts. You make a good point about the center position.

Well, we are 6-2-4 over the last 12 including wins against some pretty good teams. And that without the forwards we are projecting.

I'm not saying that we will have the Bruins defense with a couple of moves, but if we have a very productive set of forwards, an average defense and a top 5 goalie, well that's about what we had in 06.

BTW I'm all for adding a 2nd line two way center along with the first line winger. Those can both easily happen if we don't go after a big name dman.

Well, we are 6-2-4 over the last 12 including wins against some pretty good teams. And that without the forwards we are projecting.

I'm not saying that we will have the Bruins defense with a couple of moves, but if we have a very productive set of forwards, an average defense and a top 5 goalie, well that's about what we had in 06.

BTW I'm all for adding a 2nd line two way center along with the first line winger. Those can both easily happen if we don't go after a big name dman.

And we all know that we were weak at 2nd line center when Cully left to sign with the Rangers---were solid there when

he came back and had a great run in 09, and have been weak there since we traded him. I have heard JR say

he thinks we need one or two key pieces. (I would say that is winger for Staal and a second line center. BUT

none of that leaves room for our youngsters to come up, as we have a glut of 3/4 line guys.) It will be interesting

to see it all play out. I don't think I would move Sutter from the third line as Muller relies on him to go

against the opponents top line !

Pitkanen, Gleason, and Harrison are all signed to reasonable deals. Faulk is on his entry level contract. That's my starting point going into next year.

There's been a lot of talk about McBain. Time will tell on what the team thinks, as he will have to be qualified coming off his entry level deal.

Honestly, I don't think Joslin is in the plans. I may be wrong. We will find out soon enough what JR wants to do with Jaro and Allen, that's out of our control.

I'm sorry guys, I don't want to seem contrary or overly negative again, but the Canes are no better than 26th in the league when you look at any defensive rankings [goals against(26th), shots against (30th), penalty kill (27th)] How is that decent work? Our team defense sucks, again. Cam is seeing more rubber than anyone else in the league save Craig Anderson, again.

I'm not putting it all at the feet of the defenseman either. Staal had a poor start, no doubt. But we have a gaping hole at the center ice position. We tried Ruutu, and that didn't work. Jokinen seems best suited as a play-making winger. And all anyone had to do is watch the game last night to see Skinner is nothing but a liability there, at least right now.

I think fixing the defense starts there, by adding a legit second line center. Until we do that, it's almost a waste of time to be talking about who we keep, let go, etc. on the blue line.

IMO, one new coach changes alot. Mo often said the Canes played best when you can see 5 guys on your TV screen. He's right, but couldn't get them to play that way while Muller has. The strong forecheck has lowered the rubber heading towards Cam, and seems better received by the team.

You're right about the focus areas, but the team is now playing better than 28th in the league and last in the East. Unfortunately the season wasn't a "do over" when Muller arrived.

Edited by Manwolf

There is no doubt that the Canes are playing better and that Muller has brought a system and a new sense of what it takes to be a winner to the team.

For me its not so much who should go but who will go. If Tlusty is good enough for a first line and we get a power forward Ruutu moves down. If we get a second line center then Skinner plays left wing and Ruu right wing but if we don't sign Ruu then I expect Jussi will skate right wing. If Ruu does sign under that scenario then Jussi moves to the third line or becomes expendable. That could make LaRose odd man out if Sutter comes up for fourth line as I expect. We would want Bowman on the third line..etc,etc,etc.

I expect our D could turn out to be Faulk/Gleason Pitkanen/McBain Murphy/Harrison but that could change.

I think a great deal is riding on the Ruutu re-signing or trade.

IMO, one new coach changes alot. Mo often said the Canes played best when you can see 5 guys on your TV screen. He's right, but couldn't get them to play that way while Muller has. The strong forecheck has lowered the rubber heading towards Cam, and seems better received by the team.

You're right about the focus areas, but the team is now playing better than 28th in the league and last in the East. Unfortunately the season wasn't a "do over" when Muller arrived.

Anyone would be an idiot to not recognize the difference Muller has made. I'm really not sure what your point is? If it's he could take the same roster and get us to the playoffs, well, respectfully, I don't think so.

The strong forecheck has created tons of turnovers, but to say it's lowered the shots against I don't feel is true. I mean Cam just set the shutout record for this franchise with 47 the other night.

I agree though that trying to say this defense is still 28th under Muller is not true. We might be 28th but this defense hasn't played like their 28th in 2 months. Again, to bad we can't call mulligan on this season.

Do I think Muller could get this team to the playoffs as it stands? No, but do I think we're as far off talent wise as we were at the beginning of the year? No... I am fairly sure Mo could make the Red Wings play mediocre.

I think Muller could make 5th-7th place happen with just 1 more 50-60 point player. I don't care what position he plays. I like what Coastal says about the second line center because imo that's a cheaper position to fill and a much more plausible position to fill in free agency. I can't see us trying to fight for a 7 million dollar first liner, I can see us heavily persuing a second line center without needing to sell our souls for it.

I'll admit, you guys are right, I should have tempered those comments about our defensive stats with recent reality under Coach Mulller. But, I still stand by my other comments that the first step in fixing the defense is adding a reliable second line center.

Legend summed it up quite nicely. It doesn't have to break the bank, and we don't have to sell our souls to fill it.

x

I don't think it will take 7 million to find a top 3 winger. That gets you a top 1 winger. On a statistical basis the top 90 forwards are top 3 forwards. They don't all make 7 million.

If we move some guys around, make a trade or two and move the budget up a bit, we can afford that guy and Ruutu too. Love saying Ruutu too.

Edited by remkin

...I'm really not sure what your point is? If it's he could take the same roster and get us to the playoffs, well, respectfully, I don't think so.

I said no such thing, nor implied so. My post actually reads "You're right about the focus areas" when referring to your earlier post.

My point is that overall, inclusive of your suggestions for focus areas, e.g. 2nd line center, the team will be vastfully improved. What I am saying is that their current place in any standing is not indicative of my expectations.

Gotcha Manwolf. Sorry to put words in your mouth, I now understand your point a little more clearly. :)

I was curious, so I took another peak. Both the PP and PK have actually digressed under Muller, on average, while the shots Cam faces each game hasn't decreased significantly during his tenure. Goals against is better, but not significantly. So, it's even a bigger testament to he and his staff's impact on the team in the short time he has been here, if you look at the record alone.

It sounds to me like most are thinking we aren't that far away from being competitive again, we just differ on what "tweaks" are needed in the lineup going forward.

That's a far cry from when we were - at rock bottom - in our expectations under the coach I shall no longer mention.

Edited by coastal_caniac

.....I was curious, so I took another peak. Both the PP and PK have actually digressed under Muller, on average, while the shots Cam faces each game hasn't decreased significantly during his tenure. Goals against is better, but not significantly. So, it's even a bigger testament to he and his staff's impact on the team in the short time he has been here, if you look at the record alone.

It sounds to me like most are thinking we aren't that far away from being competitive again, we just differ on what "tweaks" are needed in the lineup going forward....

That's interesting. I'm simply looking at net W/L results, player effort, overall competitive spirit for 60 minutes, etc. Maybe it is the quality of shots vs the amount that Ward is no longer seeing. I really don't know.

As for the tweaking, we'll there are several threads on that, whether "Please don't trade Ruutu..." to Trade deadline, etc. There is even some guy who has been asking for a Top 6 forward for an eternity ;)

I do think that the team is playing better under Muller. Much more confident. This team is seriously out gunned up front, our Cole replacements are gone or waived, and none of our yutes has really contributed points, and yet we are winning more and playing well.

My read is that certain uber-critical players are responding to the coaching change. At the end of the day Staal is on a near point a game pace for a while and Cam has been suddenly all universe. Much easier to stay in games when your goalie has somewhere around a .950 save percentage.

Now don't get me wrong. Cam may be still seeing a lot of shots, but he is hung out to dry far less and I think that has not only helped directly, but helped him rediscover his mojo, and that is probably a coaching move.

But it does reveal that this team has a solid if thin core of superstars (Staal, Skinner, Ward) and very solid next level guys in Ruutu and Jokinen, and I would include Sutter also there given his role. We have about 9 third liners we can pick from, and Tlusty is starting to show something. Up front we really are two pieces from being a real contender. Ideally a second line center and a first line winger. Again, it doesn' t have to be a Gaborik or a Richards or Hossa level FA. More like JR's pickups of young Williams, Whitney or Stillman plus maybe Cullen types.

The defense? Well Faulk is the real deal. Gleason is solid. Harrison is solid. Pitkanen for all his roaming is still solid. McBain is improving and still could pop out offensively at any moment.

Cam is all universe again. Next year Boucher is a strong back up.

Yes, I think we are net two pieces away if we keep Ruutu. Especially if we get a high draft pick..."oh no you did NOT say that"icon_nonono.gif.

Sorry. th_scared.gif.

Edited by remkin

G--A--Pts-+/-

12-10-22-+3

If one of our Charlotte callups put up these numbers playing part-time top 6 this season would you be satisfied?

Well, though not via Charlotte Jiri Tlusty has put up those numbers. I'd say give him his shot, as Muller seems to be doing. Others haven't delivered, yet. If you agree, then the Canes are One top 6 forward from a squad that can compete on a regular basis. I know, Remkin has said that for....how long?

That leaves Sutter and the best remaining 5 from the current squad plus Charlotte to fill the bottom 6.

Speaking of Charlotte, I'm glad the Checkers are on Cable today at 6PM. I can use a local team hockey fix today.

With Andy Sutton signing a 1-yr extension it looks like he is off the market. Should make Allen and Spacek more attractive to teams looking for D help IMO. There just aren't that many "available" D-men out there.

The Fourth Period on Ruutu...nothing we already don't really know

http://www.thefourthperiod.com/news/car120213.html

Here is something I find interesting though...Look at Allen at #20

http://www.thefourthperiod.com/news/car120213.html

This is the first place I've really seen where Pitkanen is listed as a possible trade option. Yes, he is hurt but with the market the way it is I think we could get some serious value for him. It's been my thinking for awhile that the organization move him if a LEGIT top 6 winger could come our way in return. I honestly think we need to move at least 2 of the top 7 defensemen at the deadline. If we can move Pitkanen and Spacek or Allen, Joslin could hold the fort for the rest of the year and the team will be able to have space for Murphy next year. This is, of course if we can find the right trading partners out there.

Sanguinetti is playing very well right now as well. Just to throw a stick in the wheel there.

Good, then if he deserves a look, we can deal 3 players or trade him somewhere...ZERO way Sanguinetti is higher than Murphy on the depth charts...Murphy would have made the team if not for the Kaberle debocle and Faulk's play. We just did not have enough room at the beginning of the season.

The more I learn about Spacek the less I want to see him traded. I know he'll bring back a decent return from some contending team but he is exactly what the Canes locker room has been missing for some time. On the ice he's a calming veteran presence and in the locker room he steps right into the void left by Ray Whitney. If JR is able move him for something good, I hope they find a way to re-sign him back. I get that's not exactly bringing fresh faces into the fold but the old cliche about intangibles applies here imo.

Hurricanes Spacek Makes Mischief for the Canadiens

The more I learn about Spacek the less I want to see him traded. I know he'll bring back a decent return from some contending team but he is exactly what the Canes locker room has been missing for some time. On the ice he's a calming veteran presence and in the locker room he steps right into the void left by Ray Whitney. If JR is able move him for something good, I hope they find a way to re-sign him back. I get that's not exactly bringing fresh faces into the fold but the old cliche about intangibles applies here imo.

Hurricanes Spacek Makes Mischief for the Canadiens

I have a couple of thoughts.

After watching Brindy gut out the last couple of years, i just have to wonder about guys pushing 40.

Second, I would think that Spacek would be a guy that we could rent and still be able to resign if we really want him back.

Do like him though, and his influence.

Rick Nash is now available but would probably take a miracle to get him. Just think how amazing Staal & Nash would be together, think 2010 Olympics who dominated everyone. Ruutu, Mcbain, M.Murphy (columbus needs a goalie), and two 1st rounders.