The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
jeromeo87

2012 NHL Trade Deadline

I have a couple of thoughts.

After watching Brindy gut out the last couple of years, i just have to wonder about guys pushing 40.

Second, I would think that Spacek would be a guy that we could rent and still be able to resign if we really want him back.

Do like him though, and his influence.

Of course, he could be "rented" to us, since his family is still in Montreal. But I do like his play and personality.

I would love to see Nash here.

PROS:

Former #1 draft pick.

27 year old power forward

Consistently scoring (Averages 31 goals; 28 assists per season) and this was on a bad team.

CONS:

Has 3 years left on current contract at $7.6mil(2012-13); $7.8mil(2013-14); $7.9mil(2014-15)

What the Canes would have to give up:

Ruutu, Bowman or Samson and maybe two draft picks.

I really don't see this happening, with the Blue Jackets getting the #1 pick this season (Probably Nail) and the All Star Game in 2013.

Edited by hopper915

Of course, he could be "rented" to us, since his family is still in Montreal. But I do like his play and personality.

I guess you haven't paid much attention to the boo's he got or the outgoing comments he made.

JR flat out said that he wanted Nash. This is the first time that I actually think we could make a move for an elite PF. I would gladly give up a 1st rounder, Samson, Tuomo, and even Ryan Murphy for this guy. He would put so many butts in the seats. the franchise would benefit greatly from acquiring this guy. It's going to take a hefty amount to get him though.

Edited by bluedevil58

JR flat out said that he wanted Nash. This is the first time that I actually think we could make a move for an elite PF. I would gladly give up a 1st rounder, Samson, Tuomo, and even Ryan Murphy for this guy. He would put so many butts in the seats. the franchise would benefit greatly from acquiring this guy. It's going to take a hefty amount to get him though.

1 - when did JR say that?

2 - Samson? - does he even have value in other teams' perspectives?

3 - Ruutu - he's a UFA..

4 - CBJ are going to want atleast ONE proven NHL player in the deal. Pitkanen over Murphy makes more sense.

While I agree Nash WOULD put more butts in the seats, it would take SO MUCH to acquire him.. I'm not even sure how to calculate his value..

1 - when did JR say that?

2 - Samson? - does he even have value in other teams' perspectives?

3 - Ruutu - he's a UFA..

4 - CBJ are going to want atleast ONE proven NHL player in the deal. Pitkanen over Murphy makes more sense.

While I agree Nash WOULD put more butts in the seats, it would take SO MUCH to acquire him.. I'm not even sure how to calculate his value..

Several months ago JR was asked ideally what player would you like to go after. he said Rick Nash. Joking or not he did say Rick Nash.

Several months ago JR was asked ideally what player would you like to go after. he said Rick Nash. Joking or not he did say Rick Nash.

Staal does seem to be a lot happier to be playing all of a sudden. Maybe he has been told that the team is actively looking to improve its personnel sooner rather than latter.

From what I'm reading CBJ would want Proven young prospects for Nash if indeed he is even available. Nash also holds a NMC and its said if he was available the list would be short.

There's a lot of talk about LA being very interested in Nash. Joe Yerdon said Johnson, Penner, Voynov, 1st could work for Nash. If that's true, I could see Pitkanen, Boychuk, and Sanguinette and/or 1st rounder working to get Nash. I would be so surprised/stoked with JR actually could pull something like this off.

OK, concerning Rick Nash's contract. I was wrong. His current contract takes him through the 2017-2018 season. He signed an 8 year extension in 2009 for $62mil. Averages out to being $7.8mil.

IF Rick has the Canes on their short list, I'd say Ruutu, Pitkanen, Boychuk and maybe Peters and maybe a pick.

OK, concerning Rick Nash's contract. I was wrong. His current contract takes him through the 2017-2018 season. He signed an 8 year extension in 2009 for $62mil. Averages out to being $7.8mil.

IF Rick has the Canes on their short list, I'd say Ruutu, Pitkanen, Boychuk and maybe Peters and maybe a pick.

Guy, Ruutu is a UFA. I don't see CBJ trading their best player for a guy who can just walk at the end of the season.

I'd push my granny in the creek if we added a contract like Nash's while selling our soul to get him.

At first, I thought that too; however, there is a good possibility this team will have to work to reach the cap floor; Nash would definitely help with that. Also, he fills a need this team has had FOR YEARS, a solid first line winger.

At first, I thought that too; however, there is a good possibility this team will have to work to reach the cap floor; Nash would definitely help with that. Also, he fills a need this team has had FOR YEARS, a solid first line winger.

Regardless of the need, I'd still shove granny in the creek if it happens.

Rick Nash in a Canes uniform on Staal's wing = Pipe Dream. I would love to see it, but it is not gonna happen!

1st JR has to want him, & be willing to part with several assets to get him.

2nd PK has to loosen the purse strings and pay another big contract.

3rd RN has to waive his NMC to go from one last place team to another last place team. No way on earth he waives it to go to a team with no shot at the playoffs let alone no shot at the cup.

My guess Rick Nash if moved will go to a true cup contender.

Sorry!

Edited by rocheccw

Comment from Scott Burnside and Pierre LeBrun of ESPN:

2 GMs inquired about Nash on Friday and were given a firm ‘No.’ Something changed quickly. This doesn’t mean Scott Howson will trade Nash at by the deadline, but he’ll definitely be listening to offers. LeBrun think Nash’s camp may have went to Howson and said he’d be open to moving. Burnside notes that the Kings, Rangers and Maple Leafs would be interested. The Blue Jackets may want a 1st round pick, a couple NHL ready prospects, maybe a young roster player. Howson will ask the moon. LeBrun notes the Kings, Rangers and Flyers would make sense. The Rangers have a nice piece in Chris Kreider. The Flyers have the Brayden Schenn, James van Riemsdyk or Sean Couturier. The Kings have Jonathan Bernier, forward Andrei Loktionov or Dmen Slava Voynov and Jack Johnson. The Canucks could be in the mix with Cory Schneider. Possibly the Sharks could be interested. The Leafs would for sure would be calling. One team executive said this morning, “My sense is that this will still wait until the summer, but it’s not totally impossible to get it done before the deadline.”

Although I can't imagine Carolina being on Nash's short list, but if they were, maybe our 1st round along with young forward, defenseman, & goalie could do it. That would give CBJ the 1st pick and maybe the 3rd or 4th from us. Getting Nash and re-signing Ruutu could be the ingredient for future success.

DarrenDreger

Early morning news,Zidlicky has agreed to waive no-trade to go to New Jersey. Doesn't mean deal is done. Still some work to do.

If this goes through today, we'll get a better idea of what guys like Allen and Spacek might be able to bring back in trade. Zidlicky hasn't had a big year since '10 but he's also not played as many games since then.

This year so far he has 0 G 13 A and is a -7 rating for MN.

Edit: Maybe negotiations aren't going so well?

DarrenDreger

Zidlicky has said he would waive to go to NJD, however, Wild hasn't asked him to...yet, and may not trade him until the summer says source.

Edited by TSA

How do I love Rick Nash for Carolina? Let me count the ways:

Brad Richards

Marian Goborik

Ales Hemsky

Zach Parise

Dustin Penner

Jerome Inginla

Bobby Ryan

ETC.

These guys all rumored to come here at one point.

The idea of RNash going to NYR or Philly just makes me throw up a little in my mouth. What salary cap?

Anyway, sure it would be a blockbuster of epic proportions if we got Nash. Which is why it will never happen.

We need a guy more in the $5 million range. Bobby Ryan to pick a name against my own argument...

Guys like Nash end up in Philly or New York, or Chicago or LA.

I also think he's done the small non-traditional hockey market with cap limitations already, I doubt he'll take his chances and tempt fate again. Every player wants a shot at the Cup and he's been very patient.

I don't get excited over the thought of Rick Nash coming here mainly because he isn't but he also wouldn't be a great fit on the current roster. Nash and Staal on the same line is two guys that are of a score first mentality with no set up play creating skills. With the addition of Nash this team would either need to move Staal to wing and get a playmaking center or add another top line player on the wing and thats not happening. We miss Whitney, Stillman, Samsonov, and Pitkanen for this very reason and adding more scoring ability but no ability for them to be able to score doesn't make sense. Our single greatest need is a playmaking forward to go in any position on the top line. Add Henrik Sedin in between Staal and Nash and now we're talking a dream come true situation and in our dreams or the All Star game is the only time you'll see that line.

I don't get excited over the thought of Rick Nash coming here mainly because he isn't but he also wouldn't be a great fit on the current roster. Nash and Staal on the same line is two guys that are of a score first mentality with no set up play creating skills. With the addition of Nash this team would either need to move Staal to wing and get a playmaking center or add another top line player on the wing and thats not happening. We miss Whitney, Stillman, Samsonov, and Pitkanen for this very reason and adding more scoring ability but no ability for them to be able to score doesn't make sense. Our single greatest need is a playmaking forward to go in any position on the top line. Add Henrik Sedin in between Staal and Nash and now we're talking a dream come true situation and in our dreams or the All Star game is the only time you'll see that line.

Staal is a playmaker. He can set others up they just haven't been talented enough lately to bang em home.

tough timing on ruutu, 8 of 9 at home.. 9 points out.. just saying :) anyways, we wont be paying that kind of money for nash. Why should we?? We are like 7-4-2 , could be 9-4 last 13, .. i dont want to jinx anything, if someone can step up for ruutu[bowman] and staal stays on tear..well YA NEVER KNOW..