The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
jeromeo87

2012 NHL Trade Deadline

Although I can't imagine Carolina being on Nash's short list, but if they were, maybe our 1st round along with young forward, defenseman, & goalie could do it. That would give CBJ the 1st pick and maybe the 3rd or 4th from us. Getting Nash and re-signing Ruutu could be the ingredient for future success.

Nothing personal, but trading our pick - likely a top 5 pick - is the opposite of building for future success. We need to be the team seeking to acquire draft picks, not give them away. I'd be stunned if JR moved our #1 pick.

Nothing personal, but trading our pick - likely a top 5 pick - is the opposite of building for future success. We need to be the team seeking to acquire draft picks, not give them away. I'd be stunned if JR moved our #1 pick.

How many years can we rebuild instead of doing something big to get an proven elite young player that can deliver now and not in 2 or 3 or ever years. We've been rebuilding almost as long as Edmonton. To walk it back a little, I agree with your last statement completely. Heck, I'm not even knowledgeable enough to know if Nask would even be compatible with us.

How many years can we rebuild instead of doing something big to get an proven elite young player that can deliver now and not in 2 or 3 or ever years. We've been rebuilding almost as long as Edmonton. To walk it back a little, I agree with your last statement completely. Heck, I'm not even knowledgeable enough to know if Nask would even be compatible with us.

One huge difference in us/Edmonton...we've been back to the Conf. finals since we beat in in 2006. Skinner didn't take 2-3 years to contribute. You add good young talent via the draft, and you bring in veteran talent by trading veterans or signing them. You don't trade top 5 picks when you're rebuilding. How'd that work out for Toronto?

Hey, since we're dreaming! Roenick thinks the Blackhawks should trade Kane for a goalie.

http://espn.go.com/chicago/nhl/story/_/id/7578743/jeremy-roenick-chicago-blackhawks-afford-trade-patrick-kane

Peters for Kane. Done deal.

JR, Git-R-Done. Even throw in some expired Hardees coupons and some dead batteries if you have too. Hold on to that bag of pucks though.

Edited by super_dave_1

Boy, the Bruins or at least the Boston media is really down on Joe Corvo and last night on NESN Daily, they even said the team is looking for defensive depth because they don't think Corvo has what it takes to make it in the playoffs. I sure hope that if JR strikes any kind of deal with Peter Chiarelli, the piece coming back our way isn't Corvo. Nothing against Joe but please, just say no. I don't think JR would consider this but after hearing the NESN report last night, it sounds like Joe could easily be a piece used in a trade for the Bruins and we have the defensive depth they're looking for.

They really need a scoring replacement for Nathan Horton and with Ruutu off the market, I don't think we have anything to offer the Bruins that would get someone like a Jordan Caron back in trade.

Edited by TSA

I'm assuming the Peters for Kane swap was a joke.

Regarding Corvo, I highly doubt JR would consider taking him back. For one thing, Corvo WANTED to be traded. Secondly, he basically gave Corvo away for free. If he makes another trade with Boston, I would imagine that Boston still has an IOU that they have to use with JR, so the Canes would likely be getting the better end of any deal that takes place.

Edited by Justin8649

Boy, the Bruins or at least the Boston media is really down on Joe Corvo and last night on NESN Daily, they even said the team is looking for defensive depth because they don't think Corvo has what it takes to make it in the playoffs.

I know they are talking overall. And I'm not surprised. But I just gotta say this:

Chara had absolutely nothing to do with almost throwing away that game last night. Absolutely stellar play by the Big Guy. :sarcasmalert:

And give Cole some credit. Oh, did he make them pay.

I'm assuming the Peters for Kane swap was a joke.

I guess the "expired Hardee's coupons" and "dead batteries" gave it away.

Of course, don't be surprised when you see Ek report...

"Heard it from a source. Justin Peters, 3 expired Hardee's coupons for 99 cent biscuit and gravy, and 4 dead "D" cell batteries from Carolina to Chicago for Patrick Kane (E3). More later."

Edited by super_dave_1

I know they are talking overall. And I'm not surprised. But I just gotta say this:

Chara had absolutely nothing to do with almost throwing away that game last night. Absolutely stellar play by the Big Guy. :sarcasmalert:

And give Cole some credit. Oh, did he make them pay.

It was an interesting game to say the least. About 100 goaltender interference calls, Chara took the puck in the face and the fans cheered, the Bruins couldn't hold a lead, Montreal went after the Bruins physically and like most teams these days, weren't intimidated by the big bad Bruins.

Makes me wonder if the Bruins peaked way too early this season. I could easily see them wanting Bryan Allen to add some depth that can play a physical game. The Rangers are their toughest competition and they made them look silly the other night so a trade has to be imminent imo.

It was an interesting game to say the least. About 100 goaltender interference calls, Chara took the puck in the face and the fans cheered, the Bruins couldn't hold a lead, Montreal went after the Bruins physically and like most teams these days, weren't intimidated by the big bad Bruins.

Makes me wonder if the Bruins peaked way too early this season. I could easily see them wanting Bryan Allen to add some depth that can play a physical game. The Rangers are their toughest competition and they made them look silly the other night so a trade has to be imminent imo.

Montreal thinks they are the Universe Centre, but they are not. That classless cheering was really, really uncalled for. When I lived in South Florida, I hated this time of year because of the Quebec invasion. It was this kind of behavior that drove me crazy.

As for the Bruins -- to bring it back to topic -- yes, it looks like they are going to need a boost on D. If anything, just to shake the team up. I wouldn't be surprised to see a trade and not just a signing of extra rental depth.

Edited by wxray1

Cole is having an incredible year. I'm not at all blaming JR for not resigning him, but I'm seeing Cole do things this year that I haven't seen him do in years. Good for him.

I too think Allen would be a nice hit in Boston, but I'm just not sure what the return would be - probably not that much. And if it isn't going to be that much, I would prefer JR to resign him. He's been our best dman in a lot of games this year. Of course, Allen would have to want to resign; there's a good possibility he would want to be traded to a contending team this year. He isn't all that young.

Montreal thinks they are the Universe Centre, but they are not. That classless cheering was really, really uncalled for. When I lived in South Florida, I hated this time of year because of the Quebec invasion. It was this kind of behavior that drove me crazy.

As for the Bruins -- to bring it back to topic -- yes, it looks like they are going to need a boost on D. If anything, just to shake the team up. I wouldn't be surprised to see a trade and not just a signing of extra rental depth.

Its the same in Maine during the summer months with the Quebec invasion. :shakeshead:

Also to keep this on topic.... the Bruins may have lost Rich Peverly last night to a knee injury so add a winger to their list of possible needs in a trade.

We have not signed Rutuu yet. He is injured and now I am really starting to get nervous. We cannot under any circumstance go past the trade deadline with him still on the team without having a contract extension.

Ex-Cane and former Checker's Captain Brian Rodney was just traded to Edmonton from Anaheim for defenseman Ryan O'Marra.

http://oilers.nhl.co...s.htm?id=617270

Deadline Diner: Canes could have pieces the Bruins want

The calendar has flipped to February, and in the course of this NHL season that means it is trade deadline month. There were a couple of interesting trades in January, but hockey's swapping season is likely to pick up in the coming days. Here at NHL.com, we will bring you a daily roundup of reported rumors about who might be available and which teams might be looking to make a move for your lunchtime consumption in Deadline Diner.

BOSTON BRUINS: When healthy and motivated, the Bruins remain the best team in the League. If there are on-ice needs, Boston probably could use one more top-nine forward (either as Nathan Horton insurance or to upgrade on Benoit Pouliot) and a veteran defenseman to improve the team's third pairing. Kevin Paul Dupont of the Boston Globe wrote on Twitter that Tuomo Ruutu and Jaroslav Spacek of the Carolina Hurricanes are "high on Bruins' radar."

Ruutu and Spacek certainly appear, on paper, to be perfect fits for what the Bruins could use. Ruutu has been a versatile forward for the Hurricanes, in terms of position and ability to play on different lines. Dupont guesses it would cost a first-round pick and a roster player for Ruutu and a fourth-round choice for Spacek.

Corey Masisak - NHL.com Staff Writer If Hurricanes GM Jim Rutherford wants a young roster player (likely), then Jordan Caron might be the player in that scenario. It would be interesting to see what the Hurricanes might be able to get if Rutherford packaged Ruutu with Spacek or defenseman Bryan Allen. Provided the upper-body injury Ruutu suffered during Monday's game is not serious, Rutherford does have three interesting players to move in a market that still appears to be quite narrow.

Joe Haggerty of CSNNE.com suggests the Bruins could find another partner in the Southeast Division if GM Peter Chiarelli wants to land a veteran forward/depth defenseman combo. Mike Knuble and Jeff Schultz have had trouble keeping their places in the Washington Capitals' lineup, and Haggerty sees the Bruins as a potential fit to add both players. The question is whether Washington GM George McPhee would be willing to move them while his team is scrambling to make the playoffs.

Cole is having an incredible year. I'm not at all blaming JR for not resigning him, but I'm seeing Cole do things this year that I haven't seen him do in years. Good for him.

I think last season and this one, we are finally seeing a completely healthy Cole and his game is back to what it was.

I don't believe the market will be as it has been in the past as far as blockbuster trades before the deadline. There are just too many teams in the hunt and are not willing to give up someone that could possibly help them making the playoff push. Add to that the uncertainty of the CBA, teams will be less likely to add to their cap number.

Now if this weekend favors the Canes:

Friday(Sharks) and Saturday(Islanders) WIN

Tampa(Sharks tonight and Capitals Saturday) LOSE

Buffalo (Flyers win tonight and Habs win Friday) SPLIT

Montreal (Sabres Friday and Devils Sunday) LOSE

Islanders (Blues tonight and Canes Saturday) LOSE

Potential Standings:

10) Jets (58 points)

11) Hurricanes (57 points)

12) Sabres (56 points)

13) Islanders (56 points)

14) Canadiens (56 points)

15) Lightning (54 points)

Edited by hopper915

Philly got Grossman for a 2nd a 3rd. You gotta think if given the chance Philly would have preferred Allen over Grossman. So if a 2nd and a 3rd didn't land Allen, what is JR asking for Allen? Or maybe a surprise resigning of Allen is coming?

This is all just speculation, of course.

Gosh, for a minute I thought I was in a Bruins board.

Groosman's pretty much a Brian Allen, but maybe a little more on the physical side. Probably a good barometer for what Allen can bring though, if he's traded.

Gosh, for a minute I thought I was in a Bruins board.

Groosman's pretty much a Brian Allen, but maybe a little more on the physical side. Probably a good barometer for what Allen can bring though, if he's traded.

Everything I've ready, whether it be articles or from Dallas fans on boards, has said Grossman has just been awful this year. A lot of people are calling this an overpayment for him.

Hmmm, it's my impression both team's fans are fairly happy with it.

I have no idea if Allen will be traded, or what JR is asking if he's thinking about it, but it sure looks like a seller's market if Dallas got a 2nd and a 3rd for Grossman.

At the risk of making this look like a Bruins board, Bob McKenzie is reporting they just made offers to their impending UFAs Thornton, Paille, Campbell & Kelly. The reason I post this is because there appears to be a definite trend of GM's looking to re-sign their own players rather than risk having to go out and replace that same player this summer. The whole CBA/new Cap/conference realignment seems to be hanging over the league like a thick fog.

As much as I want to see fresh faces next season, I can understand why JR is intent on re-signing the players he knows will be tough to replace this summer. If its too much of a risk to chance landing what may or may not turn out to be an upgrade, I can see why going with the sure thing is one way to deal with it.

x

I hate to see how we've gelled towards the end of the season the last two years, only to shake up the lineup in the off-season. I'd like to see more players stick around this off-season. Ideally, this is what I'd like to see next season:

First Line: Tlusty - Staal - FA/Trade

Second Line: Jokinen - Skinner - Ruutu

Third Line: Bowman - Sutter - Dalpe

Fourth Line: Nodl - Brent - Dwyer

Reserve: LaRose

First D: Gleason - Allen

Second D: Harrison - Faulk

Third D: Spacek - McBain

Reserve: Murphy

Trade Bait: Stewart / Samson / Pitkanen / Joslin

I'd like to ease Murphy into the lineup next season, rather than starting him out in the full-time rotation. I think that hanging on to Spacek would be ideal for this situation as he could mentor Murphy and at his age would be comfortable sitting out 1/3 or more of the games.

I think that Pitkanen is expendable and if he's willing (given the hometown discount), I think we should move him as part of a package to land a player to play on the Staal line. Like in years past, there should be several options available during the summer.

I like Joslin, but given our depth at defense, I don't see a place for him on the team if we bring everyone back. Samson could be a first callup again next season, but given that's he's proven himself to be a valuable player at the NHL level, we may want to look to move him as part of a Pitkanen trade.

Grossman goes for a 2nd and a 3rd, while Gill just went for a couple of prospects and a 2nd. I think these deals strengthen the sellers' market. If Allen goes, I'm curious to see what we'll get.

BTW, Gill in a Nashville uniform?... 27529_114156848597302_5994_n.jpg

Edited by jeromeo87

Grossman goes for a 2nd and a 3rd, while Gill just went for a couple of prospects and a 2nd. I think these deals strengthen the sellers' market. If Allen goes, I'm curious to see what we'll get.

BTW, Gill in a Nashville uniform?... 27529_114156848597302_5994_n.jpg

I would have taken the return that Montreal got for Allen.