The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
jeromeo87

2012 NHL Trade Deadline

bruins in a funk, with horton out, and now, peverley out 4-6 weeks, bruins need to make a move, rask hasnt won in 5 straight, not the same team ,since thomas spoke up, by not attending White House, jmo.. canes 3rd period mental toughness comes through again... just saying :thumbsup2:

The reason I post this is because there appears to be a definite trend of GM's looking to re-sign their own players rather than risk having to go out and replace that same player this summer. The whole CBA/new Cap/conference realignment seems to be hanging over the league like a thick fog.

As much as I want to see fresh faces next season, I can understand why JR is intent on re-signing the players he knows will be tough to replace this summer. If its too much of a risk to chance landing what may or may not turn out to be an upgrade, I can see why going with the sure thing is one way to deal with it.

I would argue all the more reason to make sure we sign Ruutu. True, it may be a seller's market, which might lead to temptation to sell, after all that's the ideal thing, to be a seller in a seller's market. BUT we need to think one step further. If GM's are locking up more UFA's than ever now, that means there will be even less UFA in the offseason, which could drive up the price for replacing your guy.

In the end, I think there are two questions.

1. What does my team need in the next couple of years?

2. Is the pending UFA I'm looking at resigning a core player that will be hard to replace?

And in JR's case a 3rd question:

3. Am I any good at replacing lost talent even in a good UFA year?

In the case of Ruutu....the answers are no brainers.

Edited by remkin

Agreed Remkin, Ruutu is a unique talent that will be hard to replace in free agency and its unlikely that JR will be able to match potential FA offers like Cole's knowing there are other top line holes to fill that will cost some $. The only way I see Ruutu not re-signing is if JR low balls an offer hoping for a large hometown discount which I really don't see happening. The choice will ultimately be Ruutu's whether more money or more years will be important, and I'm guessing a front loaded NTC like Gleason's will be added to sweeten the deal.

I would hazard a guess it's years that would be a potential sticking point, because JR won't be able to lowball Ruutu and his agent, based upon past history.

I don't think he'd try either. Agreed, years will be the challenge.

If he throws in a NTC, this board's members will be singing JR's praise today and cursing his name tomorrow.

Front loaded NTC's aren't so awful. The player gets some job security for the first couple of years and the team gets the freedom to unload the contract in the final years. Now which of the years do you think would be more of a risk to a team? ;)

According to CSNNE, scouts from St. Louis, Carolina, Ottawa, WASH, Detroit, NYR, Dallas, PHI, and Montreal all present for the Blue Jackets/Blackhawks game today.

According to CSNNE, scouts from St. Louis, Carolina, Ottawa, WASH, Detroit, NYR, Dallas, PHI, and Montreal all present for the Blue Jackets/Blackhawks game today.

Do not tease me. We are not getting Nash.

Do they have anyone else we might want?

Do not tease me. We are not getting Nash.

Do they have anyone else we might want?

Who said anything about Nash? Jr has a strong trade history with the Blackhawks, they're playing too you know ;)

:lol:

Front loaded NTC's aren't so awful. The player gets some job security for the first couple of years and the team gets the freedom to unload the contract in the final years. Now which of the years do you think would be more of a risk to a team? ;)

Players tend to play better at the end of their contracts, so if he is not meeting the team's needs and the coaches demands, you can't get rid of them until the NTC is over... Am I missing something?

I'd say Vermette possibly, from Colombus. We need a second-line center.

I'd say either Vermette, OR the fact that it's been rumored CHI is interested in Allen - so it may be a roster player for CHI we're looking at.

I've brought up Vermette with some of my friends - they think I'm crazy and that Vermette is way past his prime and isn't worth the money; I disagree. Yeah, his numbers are down - but he plays for the Blue Jackets, so... I think he's a skilled player who would be great with Skinner.

Philly finally made a move for a defenesman:

The Tampa Bay Lightning on Saturday traded defenseman Pavel Kubina to the Philadelphia Flyers in exchange for minor-league forward Jon Kalinski and two draft picks.

The Lightning will receive a second-round pick from the Flyers in either 2012 or 2013, a pick previously acquired from Florida (Florida's option), as well as the Flyer' own fourth-rounder in 2013.

So essentially Tampa got a minor leaguer, a 2nd round pick and a fourth round pick for Pavel Kubina. Seems like Philly got a very good deal.

Sounds like the Flyers have more issues than just defense:

Flyers Stand Behind their Goalies

And add Ray Shero to the list of GM's re-signing their own players:

James Neal signs six-year extension with Penguins

And sorry to break the news to all the Nash hopefuls around here:

Report: Flyers, Jackets discussing Nash deal

Its amazing that a couple of weeks ago we were the focus of almost any trade rumor and now the Canes are at the bottom of the rumor mill.

I think the Nash is just a dream. I doubt we can afford the contract or the asking price. I could be wrong but I don't see how we would pull it off.

One Rumor today from the Ottawa Sun on Spector's Hockey has the Sens interested in Ruutu.

The Senators are thought to have interest in Carolina Hurricanes winger Tuomo Ruutu, who might not be off the market, according to a league executive, but acquiring him could prove costly.

I keep thinking about JR saying earlier he could seek a more traditional hockey trade. Tough to pull off around the mid-season trade deadline. This is going to be a long eight days until deadline.

I just want to take a minute to comment on how great Staal has been lately, a few posts back I said he needed to play like he was hungry and a leader since then he has been the Staal we all know and love so I wanna give credit where credit is due. Lets hope he stays that way. I would also like to point out the fact that Muller was the best thing to happen to this team this year (besides the Kabby trade). He has them looking good out there, doing especially well for what he has to work with. But this is a trade thread, so here goes... I think it may be time for the Canes to either Trade ot Waive Brian Boucher, With Peters stepping up getting his first NHL shutout last night hes proving he can play at this level and stands to learn alot from Barraso and Ward. There are always teams that seem to be looking for goalie depth heading into the playoffs, might be a good time to consider, especially seeing as though he is 35. Just an idea. What do you guys think? Might free up some cap space long term.

But this is a trade thread, so here goes... I think it may be time for the Canes to either Trade ot Waive Brian Boucher, With Peters stepping up getting his first NHL shutout last night hes proving he can play at this level and stands to learn alot from Barraso and Ward. There are always teams that seem to be looking for goalie depth heading into the playoffs, might be a good time to consider, especially seeing as though he is 35. Just an idea. What do you guys think? Might free up some cap space long term.

I think trading Boucher would not be easy. He hasn't played since the first week in December. He hasn't won a game this season. I'm not sure what the extent of his injury is or when he can actually play again. If he comes back this season and plays reasonable well his value will increase.

A couple of games hasn't proven to me Peters is NHL ready. But he looks like he might be. A few more games should tell.

If Peters is ready and if Ward is healthy I would think we will need to make a decision at the end of the season but not before. We may need Bouch this year.

So I guess my opinion is we should wait and see.

I don't know a lot about Peters but he sure seems like the kind of player who needs to see some consistent playing time. Cam is the franchise goalie and isn't going anywhere so I'd hate to see Peters waste his peak years opening the door on the bench if he has the ability to try and be a #1 somewhere else. Boucher is the perfect back up, he's an veteran guy with playoff experience who understands his role. Peters is getting a taste of success and I doubt he's ready to settle for only playing 12-15 games per season.

If I'm Muller, I'd ride Peters until Cam's 100% to see just what he can do for a longer period of time. If he truly has the ability be a #1, use him in a trade to help get a necessary piece(s) for next season and give him the chance he deserves. Philly and Washing ton seem to need new goalies every year :)

necessary piece(s) for next season and give him the chance he deserves. Philly and Washing ton seem to need new goalies every year :)

and tampa, Columbus needs a goalie (as well as pretty much a new team), sure there are a few others out there...

Peters only faced 16 shots against a totally deflated Caps team that has no chemistry. I wouldn't say that it's time to get rid of Boucher yet.

Bob McKenzie said JR is looking to deal Spacek, and if that happens we are likely to hold on to Allen.

I know it makes sense to get something for Spacek but I don't think it is a coincidence that the team and defense began playing better when

he showed up. He brings a veteran presence and he makes some really good decisions on D. At the same time I wouldn't want to break up the Allen/Gleason pair. Decisions, decisions, decisions.