The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
jeromeo87

2012 NHL Trade Deadline

I know it makes sense to get something for Spacek but I don't think it is a coincidence that the team and defense began playing better when

he showed up. He brings a veteran presence and he makes some really good decisions on D. At the same time I wouldn't want to break up the Allen/Gleason pair. Decisions, decisions, decisions.

I think you're right about Spacek. He seemed to be a real stabilizing force once he got here.

I know it makes sense to get something for Spacek but I don't think it is a coincidence that the team and defense began playing better when

he showed up. He brings a veteran presence and he makes some really good decisions on D. At the same time I wouldn't want to break up the Allen/Gleason pair. Decisions, decisions, decisions.

The team did not start playing better because we added Spacek, the team started playing better because we dumped Kaberle.

Edited by carolina_kat

I agree, Spacek has been a good asset, but with Pitkanen coming back soon, someone has to go.. I don't see management being ok with scratching McBain and certainly not Faulk, and Gleason and Allen have been really solid.. Besides, Spacek hasn't won the cup - send him off to a team that can give him that chance.

I wouldn't mind talking to Spacek and sending him as a "rental" to a playoff team and maybe bringing him back in the offseason. His veteran presence has been a calming force on our backline.

As far as Boucher, even though he hasn't played much and has sat out most of the season with the injury, he is a veteran and proven playoff goalie over the past few seasons, so he does have some value for a team who might be needing some consistency in between the pipes.

The Hurricanes right now have some really good prospects in between the pipes with Peters, Murphy and Muse.

The price for Nash is a proven NHLer, and a combination of one or two high prospects and one high draft pick.

I wouldn't mind talking to Spacek and sending him as a "rental" to a playoff team and maybe bringing him back in the offseason. His veteran presence has been a calming force on our backline.

As far as Boucher, even though he hasn't played much and has sat out most of the season with the injury, he is a veteran and proven playoff goalie over the past few seasons, so he does have some value for a team who might be needing some consistency in between the pipes.

The Hurricanes right now have some really good prospects in between the pipes with Peters, Murphy and Muse.

The price for Nash is a proven NHLer, and a combination of one or two high prospects and one high draft pick.

Proven NHLer: Piktanen

High Prospects: Dalpe, Boychuk, Sanguinetti, take your pick

High Draft Pick: Whatever you want Columbus

Nash and Staal on the same line night in and night out would be downright scary. We get some cap space by moving Pits, We try and re-up Spacek for a year and lock in Allen for 3.

If it were only this easy......

Pits is a proven NHL'er whose a proven defensive liability who was in the midst of finally dispelling that idea until his injury.

Selling him as the main man in a deal to Columbus would be tough expecially considering he's damaged goods.

Joni would have to come back and prove himself in 15 games to be dealt in the offseason in my opinion. Then you got everyone who thinks that would make JR look evil for getting a hometown discount to move him.

Ah dreaming!!!! :rockon:

1) Trade Pitkanen, Boychuk, Dalpe and our 2nd round pick we got from San Jose for Nash.

2) Trade Boucher and draft picks and get Patrick Kane.

1st line: Kane / Staal / Nash

Edited by hopper915

An interesting deal today. Tampa Bay Lightning sent Steve Downie to the Colorado for D-man Kyle Quincey. The Lightning then shipped Quincey to the Wings for a 2012 first round pick and minor-league defencemen.

An interesting deal today. Tampa Bay Lightning sent Steve Downie to the Colorado for D-man Kyle Quincey. The Lightning then shipped Quincey to the Wings for a 2012 first round pick and minor-league defencemen.

Could be they are gathering pieces to make a bigger trade. Lecavalier is out indefinitely with an upper body injury and that is a big loss if Vinny isn't available for the playoffs. Plus, they have under-performed all season. Their expectations at the beginning of the season was to be competing for the South-East Division, not being one point out of the basement of the Eastern Conference.

Tampa has a ton of UFAs (8) they will have to deal with at the end of the season too, so this could be clearing salary and building their AHL team.

Edited by hopper915

The Canes currently sit 7 points out of 8th and 8 points behind Florida for the SE lead. Canes and Cats both have games on Thursday and then meet up in Raleigh on Saturday. If the stars aligned, the Canes could be 4 points away from 1st in the SE by bedtime on Saturday. With this leading up to the trade deadline, I wonder if that occured, would JR question the sell off.

I'm not wishing, hoping, or suggesting. Just a thought.

Things definitely can change depending on what happens Thursday(Ducks) and Saturday(Panthers). Don't forget the Jets are only 1 point behind the Panthers and the Caps 2 points. It is a big hill the Canes have to climb. I really think this week will clear somethings up for the Southeast Division and whether or not the Canes stay primarily sellers or not.

Remaining schedule this week:

Panthers:

Thu vs Wild

Sat at Canes

Jets:

Tue vs Flyers

Thu vs Lightning

Sat vs Blues

Capitals:

Wed at Senators

Fri vs Canadiens

Sat at Maple Leafs

Lightning:

Tue vs Ducks

Thu at Jets

Sat at Penguins

Hurricanes:

Thu vs Ducks

Sat vs Panthers

Edited by hopper915

JR was just on NHL Live.

My highlights: JR hopes to hear from Ruutu in the next few days on whether he will re-sign, otherwise it sounds like JR will deal him.

On defense, he mentioned Pitkanen's return (he will start skating this week and expected back within 10 days in games), saying this will make a dman expendable. He specifically mentioned there was interest in other teams for Spacek and Allen.

In my opinion, resigning Gleason and the emergence of Harrison made Allen and Spacek expendable. I mean honestly Allen is a less offensively gifted Gleason, and Spacek has helped but we are talking about a 38 yr D-man who is injury prone. He can be replaced with Joslin, or Sanguinetti. Our depth right now in the minors is young defensemen with Dumoulin, Alt, Murphy, Lowe and Biega ready to jump up to the pros soon. We need a first line winger badly and clearing some expensive D-man is the best way to get one. I would trade Spacek for at least a 3rd rd pick and try to get a 2nd rd pick for Allen. Looking at the other deals for defensemen made already with Hal Gill, and Kubina, I don't see why we can't get that. The one we should keep is Ruutu.

So next year

Samson-Staal-P.A Parenteu

Jokinen-Skinner-Ruutu

Tlusty-Sutter-Bowman

Nodl-Brent-Larose

Gleason-Pitkanen

Harrison-Faulk

Joslin-Mcbain

And yes I know that 3rd defensive pairing looks scary but Mcbain needs to take a step up. It will be his 3rd year and he's behind faulk right now in ability.

In my opinion, resigning Gleason and the emergence of Harrison made Allen and Spacek expendable. I mean honestly Allen is a less offensively gifted Gleason, and Spacek has helped but we are talking about a 38 yr D-man who is injury prone. He can be replaced with Joslin, or Sanguinetti. Our depth right now in the minors is young defensemen with Dumoulin, Alt, Murphy, Lowe and Biega ready to jump up to the pros soon. We need a first line winger badly and clearing some expensive D-man is the best way to get one. I would trade Spacek for at least a 3rd rd pick and try to get a 2nd rd pick for Allen. Looking at the other deals for defensemen made already with Hal Gill, and Kubina, I don't see why we can't get that. The one we should keep is Ruutu.

So next year

Samson-Staal-P.A Parenteu

Jokinen-Skinner-Ruutu

Tlusty-Sutter-Bowman

Nodl-Brent-Larose

Gleason-Pitkanen

Harrison-Faulk

Joslin-Mcbain

And yes I know that 3rd defensive pairing looks scary but Mcbain needs to take a step up. It will be his 3rd year and he's behind faulk right now in ability.

Eh.. Samson hasn't really shown me he belongs in the top 6. Tlusty, however, looks awesome right now; why demote him to the 3rd line? I still prefer Skinner on the wing, and Joslin is beasting on the wing.

Maybe someone here can answer this - why can't I remember Gleason ever being paired with Pitkanen?

Honestly I got stuck. I think way Tlusty plays makes him a perfect 3rd liner with Sutter, but I don't see him as a 50 pt guy on the first line. A lot of his success is playing with a red hot Staal right now. I want to keep the skins and finns line intact but we need someone to play next to Staal. Maybe Dalpe or someone will deliver on their potential.

Honestly I got stuck. I think way Tlusty plays makes him a perfect 3rd liner with Sutter, but I don't see him as a 50 pt guy on the first line. A lot of his success is playing with a red hot Staal right now. I want to keep the skins and finns line intact but we need someone to play next to Staal. Maybe Dalpe or someone will deliver on their potential.

Doesn't really make much sense. Samson has shown you enough to be put on the top line? Tlusty has an 8 game point streak going and it's not all because of Staal.

Could be they are gathering pieces to make a bigger trade. Lecavalier is out indefinitely with an upper body injury and that is a big loss if Vinny isn't available for the playoffs. Plus, they have under-performed all season. Their expectations at the beginning of the season was to be competing for the South-East Division, not being one point out of the basement of the Eastern Conference.

Tampa has a ton of UFAs (8) they will have to deal with at the end of the season too, so this could be clearing salary and building their AHL team.

I think they have to decided to build toward next season. I agree with you that they haven't met expectations. It is a crazy season in the east. Here we are last in the east and some are talking about us climbing back in the race.

I refuse to scoreboard watch. Alright maybe I am beginning to take a peek. March will either be rewarding or break our hearts... again. It should be fun.

So much for that.. Bob McKenzie - CBJ trades Antoine Vermette to PHX.

What did Phoenix have to give up?

What did Phoenix have to give up?

McKenzie just said a couple of draft picks.. no details yet

Update..

Bob McKenzie - As per #tsn colleague @Real_ESPNLeBrun, CBJ gets 2012 2nd rounder (OTT's), 2013 5th rounder and netminder Curtis McElhinney. #tradecentre

Edited by jeromeo87

McKenzie just said a couple of draft picks.. no details yet

Update..

Bob McKenzie - As per #tsn colleague @Real_ESPNLeBrun, CBJ gets 2012 2nd rounder (OTT's), 2013 5th rounder and netminder Curtis McElhinney. #tradecentre

I know you wanted Vermette but would you take Brassard?

Did anyone see that Bobby Ryan between the legs redirect sportscenter top 10 highlight goal?

Just sayin'.

I'll be watching him like a hawk tomorrow.

So much for that.. Bob McKenzie - CBJ trades Antoine Vermette to PHX.

Isn't that team owned by the league? Arrgghh, I hate these type moves (and that Whitney signing by them).

Apparently, Stastny might be available and Colorado might be looking for a solid offensive dman.. We have one of those right? ;) We would be so solid down the middle with Stastny here. IF JR is sold on the Tlusty Staal Ruutu line as our top line, he really should go after a solid center.