The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
jeromeo87

2012 NHL Trade Deadline

Let me make this nice and easy.

During seasons like this, there is NO point in keeping any UFA. None. Zilch. Nothing. You can't name a logical argument for keeping them.

Trade them all. Get what you can for them (no matter how little - it's better than nothing) and then resign Gleason and Ruutu.

And then in the meantime, you do nothing but play younger players and get them experience and chances to play in the league.

It never ceases to amaze me that people want to keep some UFA's during seasons like this.

Edited by golfpro827

During seasons like this, there is NO point in keeping any UFA. None. Zilch. Nothing. You can't name a logical argument for keeping them.

trade all of them, but this assumes some other GM will be willing to give up something of value for them. If it was possible I would love to exchange the entire Checkers team for the entire Canes team for the remainer of the year. Remnd the guys on the Canes team what it is like to ride the bus instead of flying on chartered planes and staying at five-star hotels

Both Spectors and Eklund mentioning TB as a landing spot for Gleason...Here's from Spector's

CBC.CA: Elliotte Friedman repeated his claim from his report on Saturday that Carolina’s Tim Gleason and Anaheim’s Lubomir Visnovsky could attract attention in the trade market…Columbus GM Scott Howson apparently isn’t interested in moving defensemen, though forwards are another matter, except for Rick Nash or Ryan Johansen…Friedman wondered if Tampa Bay’s Brett Connolly might be available, as the Lightning might have to give up a young player like Connolly if they hope to improve their roster now.

SPECTOR’S NOTE: I’ve already commented on Gleason and Visnovsky. The former will be dealt, the latter only if he agrees to go…Interesting that Friedman didn’t include Jeff Carter’s name among those players Howson wouldn’t trade…I think the Lighting would prefer not to part with Connolly for a quick fix to this season. The Lightning, however, are reaching the “make-or-break” point to the season, and if they want to bolster their goaltending, they might have to part with someone like Connolly.

If we could land Connolly and maybe another piece for Gleason, I would be a very happy camper.

You want Connolly and MORE for Gleason??? That is amazing! Connolly was selected 1 pick ahead of Skinner and he has a whole lot of potential. Gleason isn't good at anything hockey related. He is slow, he cannot skate, he has no balance, he isn't physical, he can't pass and he can't shoot. I'd be impressed if we could snag Connolly by packaging Gleason with our 2nd rounder to be honest.

What if the Lightning offered Kubina for Skinner and more? That's basically what you are proposing.

Edited by Justin8649

You want Connolly and MORE for Gleason??? That is amazing! Connolly was selected 1 pick ahead of Skinner and he has a whole lot of potential. Gleason isn't good at anything hockey related. He is slow, he cannot skate, he has no balance, he isn't physical, he can't pass and he can't shoot. I'd be impressed if we could snag Connolly by packaging Gleason with our 2nd rounder to be honest.

What if the Lightning offered Kubina for Skinner and more? That's basically what you are proposing.

Skinner is a proven 30 goal scorer well on his way to 30 again before he was injured. Apples to oranges.

Edited by jfive

Obviously Skinner and RNH are exceptions to the rule as far as rookies go. Eberle was drafted in 2008 and didn't even make it to the NHL until just last year. This year he is over a PPG pace. Connolly was the #6 pick just LAST year. His skillset is for a player in the top 6. Not as a checking line player. If you look at TB's roster, it is very tough to make the top 6 with St. Louis, Lecavalier, Stamkos and company. The Lightning would be foolish to give him away for Gleason just because he hasn't scored 30 goals already. Gleason has already hit his ceiling, and it isn't too impressive to say the least.

To stay on topic: If this team wants to get a guy like Connolly, it is certainly going to have to include a younger guy with potential like McBain. McBain + 2nd round pick would be more likely to get a response from the Lightning.

Edited by Justin8649

The Canes need a wing that can score 30+ goals and a forward that scores 20+ goals, both in their 20's, and their style and persona would appear to be a good chemistry fit. Letting Ruutu go would be shooting us in the foot and mean we'd need a 3rd Top 6 that is a versatile forward. If JR and Peter Karmanos would agree to spend some money on quality instead of getting "over-the-hill", reclamations, or diamonds in the rough to minimize salaries, we could land a couple of top quality forwards via trade. We have some good defensemen, a couple of 2nd round 2012 picks, and few forwards (Poni, Larose, Charlotte Checkers) to combine for enticing trades. We don't want to trade for draft picks because the Charlotte pipeline is plugged with good prospects. Also, we should skip UFA's that will more than likely leave this small money market in the off-season if they are really top 3 or 6 players. JR and PK will have to go after quality and dump their old MO now that new investors are on board and may demand more butts in seats due to a very competitive product. With the current MO next year with the new alignment will kill us and I assume attendance.

The Canes need a wing that can score 30+ goals and a forward that scores 20+ goals, both in their 20's, and their style and persona would appear to be a good chemistry fit. Letting Ruutu go would be shooting us in the foot and mean we'd need a 3rd Top 6 that is a versatile forward. If JR and Peter Karmanos would agree to spend some money on quality instead of getting "over-the-hill", reclamations, or diamonds in the rough to minimize salaries, we could land a couple of top quality forwards via trade. We have some good defensemen, a couple of 2nd round 2012 picks, and few forwards (Poni, Larose, Charlotte Checkers) to combine for enticing trades. We don't want to trade for draft picks because the Charlotte pipeline is plugged with good prospects. Also, we should skip UFA's that will more than likely leave this small money market in the off-season if they are really top 3 or 6 players. JR and PK will have to go after quality and dump their old MO now that new investors are on board and may demand more butts in seats due to a very competitive product. With the current MO next year with the new alignment will kill us and I assume attendance.

All very good points except that with the new alignment, the thinking is that attendance will get better due to all the NY, NJ and PA transplants that live here now.

I think your assessment of what the Canes need as far as trades go is pretty accurate and I agree that trading for lots of picks would be a mistake. Unless there are more than a few guys ready to make the jump next season from Charlotte to Raleigh full time which would open up some spots there.

TSNBobMcKenzie: As per @helenenothelen, ANA GM says Selanne and Koivu are only two untouchables on Ducks. Which means he'll listen on Getzlaf, Perry, Ryan.

A man can dream.

Anyone find it interesting we won the cup with a 35 mil team and now in 2011 with a 51 mil team we aren't even remotely competitive.

Thanks Gary only you could accomplish that.

So 35 mil in 06 wins you the cup.

51 mil in 12 earns you close to last place.

CBA fail.

Edited by legend-1

Our UFAs are Gleason, Ruutu, Allen, Spacek and Poni.

Do you guys think we trade all of them?

I think two of them will be gone.

Do you think both Ruutu and Gleason could fetch 1st rd picks?

NO! Ruutu maybe Gleason as of late NO Way!

Do you think JR could also trade some picks/prospects for a player under contract for multiple years?

I do. We have some good young guys in the system that could fetch some picks. the problem is how many picks across the league really work out? Everyone will get cuaght up on on early first rounders but they rarely pan out. so who do we have that we could trade out of the system and take the risk that they would make worse players then the ones we draft. Some of our early round guys in the past few drafts could be sacrificed in an attempt to fatten up the big team.

Do you think any Canes' players who are not currently UFAs could be traded, as well?

I think we have some players that we could move but, no one will give you to much more then what that guy is worth. why would some team give us a latteral trade at that point. It will be very tough to move any?many of the guys as the dealine approaches especially if the caliber of play continues as it is lately.

Anyone find it interesting we won the cup with a 35 mil team and now in 2011 with a 51 mil team we aren't even remotely competitive.

Thanks Gary only you could accomplish that.

So 35 mil in 06 wins you the cup.

51 mil in 12 earns you close to last place.

CBA fail.

How much of the $51m is tied up in supposed top 3 forwards and supposed top 2 D-men, not to mention the goalie that could that can't lately?

TSNBobMcKenzie: As per @helenenothelen, ANA GM says Selanne and Koivu are only two untouchables on Ducks. Which means he'll listen on Getzlaf, Perry, Ryan.

A man can dream.

To use a basketball term we need "Ballers" we need a few guys like the guys on your wish list on this team and soon. We have no grit, no one to hit a guy just to hit someone, no one to clear out the crease or crash the net either, no one to fight to send a message to his team mates, No character guys except Larose! we need a couple guys that have some sack! A couple guys that aren't afraid to do the dirty work and score some garbage goals up front while destroying people who dare get in our crease. We need some size too! We need guys that are all hockey player. not flashy, not slick, just some hard nosed hockey players. but who or what would we have to give up to get anyone of these guys? Perry first, getz second and Ryan last IMO!!

Hi guys! New member here. Probably be on here as much as I can. First off, obviously we need a winger for Staal's line. I checked my sources and Luke Decock said via Twitter that to get Bobby Ryan (whom frankly if he came to Carolina would be tied as my favorite player with Skinner) we would have to give up one of our core players in the process. Maybe we could be lenient and give up Sutter? I would be willing to give him up but it is an idea. We obviously know Skinner, Staal, and Cam are going nowhere but maybe we can give up Sutter or Faulk? (Although I'm impressed with Faulk!)

Sometimes I wonder if people even consider the trade from the other team's perspective. Sutter OR Faulk for Bobby Ryan? Try Sutter AND Faulk AND a 2nd round draft pick.

Exactly who wants what we are trying to sell at this point especially!

Exactly who wants what we are trying to sell at this point especially!

Don't under estimate our talent just because they aren't working as a team or we don't have enough pieces to make it work. Detroit is rumored to be looking at Ruutu. Several teams will want defensive help and Allen and Gleason will be on several teams wish list.

Now if your talking trading for a top six it will take a combination deal IMO but it can be done.

...Several teams will want defensive help and Allen and Gleason will be on several teams wish list.

Now if your talking trading for a top six it will take a combination deal IMO but it can be done.

I think you're right, but if they both go we may as well play 5 forwards (alert thingy). I feel sorry for the one who stays.

Don't under estimate our talent just because they aren't working as a team or we don't have enough pieces to make it work. Detroit is rumored to be looking at Ruutu. Several teams will want defensive help and Allen and Gleason will be on several teams wish list.

Yeah, teams are going to be VERY interested in what we have. I highly doubt either one of Sutter or Faulk will be moved. But I would be willing to part with either Pitkanen or McBain in some kind of package to pick up Ryan. I'm honestly not sure what all it would take.

Ok if we are dreaming:

Jokinen-Staal-Perry 16.6 mil

Skinner 1.4 mil

Stewart-Sutter-Larose 4.66 mil

Dwyer-Sutter-Nodl 1.98 mil

Pitkanen-Weber 12.75 mil

McBain- 1.25 mil

Faulk-Joslin 1.6 mil

Ward and Boucher 7.25 mil

total 47.49 million

look at that we can get a top winger for staal and a top shutdown guy. JR would have around 4 million to get skinner atleast one legit winger and McBain a partner while spending the same as this season

I'm starting to lean towards the Ryan camp at reasonable cost. This team as is aren't going to accomplish much. Say we trade joni/jokinen/boychuck for him, we could build around ryan/staal/skinner/sutter/ward. And instead of continuing to sign the stewarts and poni's of the world to put sand in a pothole, rutherford can hatch a plan to get a solid veteran who can perform each night. Buy the house instead of renting the apartment.

I know we are a budget team, but i think rutherford uses that as an excuse for not going after quality guys and poorly mismanaging the team. It tears me up looking at this team sometimes, because i look at my 2nd favorite team in minnesota. We were in an identical situation as they were last year. They were a budget team just barely missing the playoffs, and what do they go do.....bring in heatley and setoguchi and now they're one of the leagues better teams.

Sometimes I wonder if people even consider the trade from the other team's perspective. Sutter OR Faulk for Bobby Ryan? Try Sutter AND Faulk AND a 2nd round draft pick.

Guys chill! I just forgot to type about the pick! Obviously any team is interested in our 1st round pick at this point!

Ok if we are dreaming:

Jokinen-Staal-Perry 16.6 mil

Skinner 1.4 mil

Stewart-Sutter-Larose 4.66 mil

Dwyer-Sutter-Nodl 1.98 mil

Pitkanen-Weber 12.75 mil

McBain- 1.25 mil

Faulk-Joslin 1.6 mil

Ward and Boucher 7.25 mil

total 47.49 million

look at that we can get a top winger for staal and a top shutdown guy. JR would have around 4 million to get skinner atleast one legit winger and McBain a partner while spending the same as this season

In your dream does JR ship Ruutu/Gleason/1st rounder for Perry?

Maybe we could be lenient and give up Sutter? I would be willing to give him up but it is an idea. We obviously know Skinner, Staal, and Cam are going nowhere but maybe we can give up Sutter or Faulk? (Although I'm impressed with Faulk!)

Honestly, I'd give up Staal before Sutter (never thought I'd say that)...The sky is not even close to the limit for Sutter...only 22 and can be an absolute dominant player. If that happened, we'd need to work a Mega-Blockbuster of a deal though. Staal, Gleason and a prospect/high draft pick could possibly bring Getzlaf and Ryan. Fresh starts for everyone and don't underestimate Tim Gleason's trade value, he is very high on a lot of lists right now.

Reality Check: It is very, very doubtfult that Staal gets moved but, then again the Bruins have given up Joe Thorton when he was 25 or 26, wearing the "C" and was the teams's leading scorer at the time. Of course, more recentlty, Phil Kessel as well...it does happen.

In your dream does JR ship Ruutu/Gleason/1st rounder for Perry?

I mean, I guess the value isn't TERRIBLE, but 2 UFAs and a 1st for Perry isn't going to do it.. not even close.