The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
jeromeo87

2012 NHL Trade Deadline

Apparently, Stastny might be available and Colorado might be looking for a solid offensive dman.. We have one of those right? ;) We would be so solid down the middle with Stastny here. IF JR is sold on the Tlusty Staal Ruutu line as our top line, he really should go after a solid center.

'Canes don't have enough salary to go back the other way. Colorado would be under the cap.

'Canes don't have enough salary to go back the other way. Colorado would be under the cap.

I'm not sure what their cap status is.. Would they be under the cap even if we send Pitkanen their way?

I'm not sure what their cap status is.. Would they be under the cap even if we send Pitkanen their way?

Not totally positive on that question, but I'd seriously be hesitant about trading Pitkanen at the moment. The dude was awesome in the playoffs in 08-09 and who knows what he would look like in Muller's system. I personally think he'd be great on the power play with Muller. Everyone forgets about how awesome Montreal's d-men were on the PP for a few years there. Wasn't Muller running the power play? Pitkanen has all world talent that could be tapped by Muller.

Not totally positive on that question, but I'd seriously be hesitant about trading Pitkanen at the moment. The dude was awesome in the playoffs in 08-09 and who knows what he would look like in Muller's system. I personally think he'd be great on the power play with Muller. Everyone forgets about how awesome Montreal's d-men were on the PP for a few years there. Wasn't Muller running the power play? Pitkanen has all world talent that could be tapped by Muller.

This is all true, but 1 - I did suggest trading him for a return like Stastny. So while we would be losing Pitkanen, we would in fact be gaining a player like Stastny (that's quite an upgrade with our forwards). And 2 - I think our blue line has been really good without Pitkanen, even on the PP.

Guys, we still have holes up front. It's going to be really hard to fill those strictly through free agency. Sometimes you have to lose in order to gain. With Pitkanen, McBain, Faulk, Murphy, and more, at least ONE of these guys is expendable...

This is all true, but 1 - I did suggest trading him for a return like Stastny. So while we would be losing Pitkanen, we would in fact be gaining a player like Stastny (that's quite an upgrade with our forwards). And 2 - I think our blue line has been really good without Pitkanen, even on the PP.

Guys, we still have holes up front. It's going to be really hard to fill those strictly through free agency. Sometimes you have to lose in order to gain. With Pitkanen, McBain, Faulk, Murphy, and more, at least ONE of these guys is expendable...

I know what you're saying but in my opinion a guy like Stastny is too much money for what he does. McBain is the expendable player at this point. He's young and has been able to stay healthy which could draw interest. My problem with McBain is that I think he's too much of a liability, defensively, on the back end. At least Pitkanen can get back quickly if he's caught out of position. To me McBain can look like a fish out of water at times. Alex Goligosky got the Pens James Neal. I think this is the type of deal we'll see on deadline day.

I know what you're saying but in my opinion a guy like Stastny is too much money for what he does. McBain is the expendable player at this point. He's young and has been able to stay healthy which could draw interest. My problem with McBain is that I think he's too much of a liability, defensively, on the back end. At least Pitkanen can get back quickly if he's caught out of position. To me McBain can look like a fish out of water at times. Alex Goligosky got the Pens James Neal. I think this is the type of deal we'll see on deadline day.

Fair enough. I agree with your assessment on McBain, and if JR is able to get a solid second line center or a top 6 winger in a trade involving McBain, I'm going to be a happy caniac.

The team has enough assets at this point that it isn't unreasonable to think of it as a possibility.

Edited by jfive

I'm really liking what I'm seeing out of Joslin as a 4th line forward and I hope we get to see that experiment for a while longer. I once thought that JR would move Allen and Spacek, but in order to keep Joslin on the 4th line, one of those guys would need to stay. When LaRose comes back, there would be another shuffling. Does JR try to move a depth forward now just to create space?

From the Triangle Business Journal of all places. A few tidbits on Brian Allen's situation.

JR Faces Tough Choice on Allen

Had no idea the Red Wings were so high on Allen. I think JR really likes his team right now and is struggling trying to find a way to keep what he has and still be able to add the couple of missing pieces it may take to turn the corner once and for all. Tough job he has.

Wasn't sure where to put this but I decided on this thread...we all love to take out shots at Eklund for his "rumors" but he gave the organization and fans some serious props when he reported on Ruutu's re-signing yesterday.

http://www.hockeybuz...40&blogger_id=1

We should give him some love this week.

Good for Eklund and good for us.

I'm hearing from a source that Eklund will receive some love from the Canes fans(e5)

:lol:

Wasn't sure where to put this but I decided on this thread...we all love to take out shots at Eklund for his "rumors" but he gave the organization and fans some serious props when he reported on Ruutu's re-signing yesterday.

http://www.hockeybuz...40&blogger_id=1

We should give him some love this week.

Wow. That was nice. Makes you proud! Every fan who was at game 7 SCF should read that. Gives me chills thinking back to it.

Edited by remkin

I'd like to see Allen back next year. If given the option, I'd rather re-sign Allen and deal Pitkanen or McBain than lose Allen.

I wouldn't mind keeping Allen either but there are teams that could overpay for him since not a lot is available. He's a guy I could see coming back after Signing Day though. I think the moves depend on if JR really wants to see Murphy in a Canes uni next season.

I'd like to see Allen back next year. If given the option, I'd rather re-sign Allen and deal Pitkanen or McBain than lose Allen.

I agree, Allen is solid and has decent chemistry with Gleason. Plus he is a shot blocking machine and will throw down when needed. BTW, this post of yours was a few pages back, but I am going to bring it back up:

I hate to see how we've gelled towards the end of the season the last two years, only to shake up the lineup in the off-season. I'd like to see more players stick around this off-season. Ideally, this is what I'd like to see next season:

First Line: Tlusty - Staal - FA/Trade

Second Line: Jokinen - Skinner - Ruutu

Third Line: Bowman - Sutter - Dalpe

Fourth Line: Nodl - Brent - Dwyer

Reserve: LaRose

First D: Gleason - Allen

Second D: Harrison - Faulk

Third D: Spacek - McBain

Reserve: Murphy

Trade Bait: Stewart / Samson / Pitkanen / Joslin

I'd like to ease Murphy into the lineup next season, rather than starting him out in the full-time rotation. I think that hanging on to Spacek would be ideal for this situation as he could mentor Murphy and at his age would be comfortable sitting out 1/3 or more of the games.

I think that Pitkanen is expendable and if he's willing (given the hometown discount), I think we should move him as part of a package to land a player to play on the Staal line. Like in years past, there should be several options available during the summer.

Good points and I like the lineup and reasoning. I still think JR will end up moving Spacek just to get some sort of deadline return, thogh. Pitkanen I disagree, if for no other reason than that your scenario is highly unlikely. I think between Pits and McBain, McBain would be more likely to be moved. Still has a ways to go but good value as he is hitting his first RFA contract this year. That might end up being too much value to give up though.

The primary reason that I suggested moving Pitkanen rather than McBain is that I think we could get a better return for Pitkanen from a contending team. On the other hand, McBain would probably bring a bigger return from a rebuilding team that was looking for a younger player. I don't think that we need to hang on to both though because of the emergence of Harrison and Faulk as viable power play options.

I agree, Allen is solid and has decent chemistry with Gleason. Plus he is a shot blocking machine and will throw down when needed. BTW, this post of yours was a few pages back, but I am going to bring it back up:

Good points and I like the lineup and reasoning. I still think JR will end up moving Spacek just to get some sort of deadline return, thogh. Pitkanen I disagree, if for no other reason than that your scenario is highly unlikely. I think between Pits and McBain, McBain would be more likely to be moved. Still has a ways to go but good value as he is hitting his first RFA contract this year. That might end up being too much value to give up though.

Not willing to give up on mcbain yet, and is sutter going to stay on 3rd line forever, i know hes our shut down guy, but still.. he can be a 25 goal or maybe better scorer.. anyways, im nearing my 1000 post!

I still don't really know what you guys are seeing with Skinner as a Center.. He really hasn't been good at all in that position.. IMO, of course.

Yeah he looked off on that road trip, as was discussed before. I'd start him there next year if we don't have a decent replacement. If it doesn't work out, OK, now we know. I'd rather see him there than Ruutu, long term, assuming again there isn't a replacement.

Bob McKenzie@TSNBobMcKenzie

LAK and CBJ are working hard to get a Jeff Carter trade done -- Jack Johnson's name featured prominently as well -- but told not done. Yet.

If JJ gets sent to Columbus, its just more of that karma slapping that boy in the face :)

(no offense meant to Columbus)

If JJ gets sent to Columbus, its just more of that karma slapping that boy in the face :)

(no offense meant to Columbus)

Agreed. I heard JJ's name in there and had to smile. If Howson was surprised at how bad the Carter trade went, he seems to not have learned his lesson.

Interesting reuniting Richards and Carter. LA is desperate. But if this goes down (and it is rare McKenzie reports a rumor that doesn't end up happening) LA wins this one.

What is Columbus doing exactly? They acquire Carter to give Nash finally a top line centre, and then they trade him before the season is over? Yes I know the season was a disaster but still, trading him for a 1st and a crappy D-man? Johnson is so overrated it's pathetic. He's a guaranteed double digit minus player every season. I mean what are the Blue Jackets fans supposed to think now? And yes they've actually got a good base there of fans. I guess they will trade Nash and start anew since 12 years with Nash and whoever hasn't worked. Should've happened a lot sooner IMO but then again why was Hitchcock ever fired? Grrrr idk why but I get upset at Columbus haha.

So quick recap, Columbus trade a former all star for a mediocre dman and maybe a 1st rounder. And we couldn't have done that?

On the other hand, looking at the depth chart, LA just put a lot of money in for a 3rd line center. Does that make a forward available? Dustin Brown?

Columbus outta get ya fired up. Theres no reason for hockey to not work there other then moronic management.

Might be that Carter isnt nearly as good as thought and he was riding the coat tails of his linemates, the Flyers knew it and moved him for better talent.