The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
jeromeo87

2012 NHL Trade Deadline

JJ going to Columbus just fascinates me.

As the dust settles all these years later, JR's unpopular move back then is looking better all the time.

Bob McKenzie is reporting that Dustin Brown is available. Guess I was wrong earlier in the year claiming that he was untouchable. Don't think the Canes would be interested but it was worth mentioning.

EDIT: Alright I know this team realistically needs a 2nd line center and a 1st line winger, but, maybe Skinner needs that physical presence on his line that he used to have with Ruutu. Plus Brown has an affordable contract.

Edited by jfive

Right hand shot.. physical.. Olympian.. Good locker room guy.. Yeah, I would love Brown here in Carolina. LA did just trade away one of their offensive dmen (Johnson) - they may be looking for a replacement. I think we may have one to exchange...

Edit: Apparently, the Kings are set on D.. I would still consider at least TRYING on Brown. He's exactly what this team needs.. Maybe a deal focusing around Jokinen and Brown?

Edited by jeromeo87

Looking at their roster, LA is stacked all around the board. On paper their roster is just as good as anybody's, they just have a bunch of veterans underperforming this year (stoll, penner, and richards in particular). They just need to shed salary because they got a bunch of long contracts, and eventually quick is in for a huge raise. I think jokinen and change for brown is too lateral because they have identical contracts. They might could use a defensive dman like Allen(expiring contract), and offer a draft pick and a prospect.

Interesting read in the Globe this morning, I think Ruutu was the piece the Bruins were after and now that he's off the market they don't have a better option yet. The article mentions what they're not willing to give up (Dougie Hamilton) but they don't make any mention of Jordan Caron. I'm not buying they won't be looking for a deal soon but I think its less likely the Canes will be their trade partners unless they just go for defensive depth. Even then, what do have to give us of value?

I seriously doubt JR will make a trade just for the sake of making a trade. He likes this team and will only make a deal that will be of some value moving forward.

Bruins Not Leaning on Trade Help

I seriously doubt JR will make a trade just for the sake of making a trade. He likes this team and will only make a deal that will be of some value moving forward.

Yeah it's fun to hear speculating about signing other teams deadline deals, but why would JR give up resources now when the prices are much higher, rather than in the summer, when you can sign UFAs for nothing? Unless someone JR has been craving comes up, not likely. We might move out one or two more pieces and bring something back in those deals, but I'd bet it'll be picks and prospects unless a salary dump/expiring UFA is involved.

Yeah it's fun to hear speculating about signing other teams deadline deals, but why would JR give up resources now when the prices are much higher, rather than in the summer, when you can sign UFAs for nothing? Unless someone JR has been craving comes up, not likely. We might move out one or two more pieces and bring something back in those deals, but I'd bet it'll be picks and prospects unless a salary dump/expiring UFA is involved.

The UFA class this summer isn't exactly the greatest. Teams will definitely be overpaying come July 1

A nice read on the trade deadline from Bryan Allen's perspective in today's N&O by Chip Alexander.

Allen set for stressful period

As we speculate on trades and play monopoly with the owners money I sometimes forget the toll trades can take on players and their families. I like Allen and won't be unhappy if he stays but at the same time even with the improved play we still need changes.

A nice read on the trade deadline from Bryan Allen's perspective in today's N&O by Chip Alexander.

Allen set for stressful period

As we speculate on trades and play monopoly with the owners money I sometimes forget the toll trades can take on players and their families. I like Allen and won't be unhappy if he stays but at the same time even with the improved play we still need changes.

Last night on the Aftermath John Forslund all but guaranteed that Allen was staying. Reading that article it sure seems that Allen wants to stay, and Forslund said that the Canes were really happy with Allen and need a guy like that. Given the effect of so many resignings, that sure seems likely. I bet JR can get a reasonable deal since Allen wants to stay.

How the times they are a changin'. Now it looks like our only rental will be Spacek.

Who's left to trade? I say no to any top 6 forwards since it just creates a hole and fills it back in.

There are "toss in" guys up front: LaRose, Dwyer or any of our prospects. But the heft in any trade would have to be our draft pick (s) and a defenseman. If we resign Allen, and of course Gleason, and Faulk is going no where, as likely is Harrison, and Joslin would have little value, it comes down to Pitkanen and McBain.

I'm not saying either will be traded, maybe JR is just going to wait and get into the bidding on the few remaining UFA next year, but any big trade is likely to involve Pits or McBain. That's a tough one though because McBain is getting better in his own end (still not great though) and is younger and cheaper. Pits is actually good for about 10 more points per year, but McBain has not peaked.

Add in that if Murphy makes the team someone from the d has to go. One would think it would be an offensive type.

One outside the box move would be Boucher since Peters is suddenly all that. Not sure what his value would be.

Maybe the d is set and JR just goes looking for a hired gun up front in the offseason.

Edited by remkin

If we can get a 1st line winger, then Ruutu could slide back to the Finn/Skins line and that would help both Jokinen and Skinner.

I can't find it right now, but I've seen there has been interested in Joni, Allen, Spacek and McBain as trade possibilities. IF Allen stays, we rent Spacek for a playoff run and maybe only lose Joni, I'd be happy. Maybe package LaRose in there too. We have too many players that fit that profile.

I said before that I'd like to bring Spacek back next season as a mentor for Murphy. However, I think that I'm changed my mind after sitting close to the bench for the last few games. I'm not sure that Spacek is capable of playing another season in the NHL after 4 months off in the summer. He's been visibly winded coming off the ice after shifts, something that you don't see from any of the other defensemen (except in the rare situation that they get stuck on the ice for a prolonged period of time). I think that this might be his last go at it, so we might as well ship him out to a contender and get something back in return.

Last night on the Aftermath John Forslund all but guaranteed that Allen was staying. Reading that article it sure seems that Allen wants to stay, and Forslund said that the Canes were really happy with Allen and need a guy like that. Given the effect of so many resignings, that sure seems likely. I bet JR can get a reasonable deal since Allen wants to stay.

How the times they are a changin'. Now it looks like our only rental will be Spacek.

Who's left to trade? I say no to any top 6 forwards since it just creates a hole and fills it back in.

There are "toss in" guys up front: LaRose, Dwyer or any of our prospects. But the heft in any trade would have to be our draft pick (s) and a defenseman. If we resign Allen, and of course Gleason, and Faulk is going no where, as likely is Harrison, and Joslin would have little value, it comes down to Pitkanen and McBain.

I'm not saying either will be traded, maybe JR is just going to wait and get into the bidding on the few remaining UFA next year, but any big trade is likely to involve Pits or McBain. That's a tough one though because McBain is getting better in his own end (still not great though) and is younger and cheaper. Pits is actually good for about 10 more points per year, but McBain has not peaked.

Add in that if Murphy makes the team someone from the d has to go. One would think it would be an offensive type.

One outside the box move would be Boucher since Peters is suddenly all that. Not sure what his value would be.

Maybe the d is set and JR just goes looking for a hired gun up front in the offseason.

You make good points. There will be decisions to make but I think many will be made after the season. Right now we are focusing on the UFA rental deals but the Carter/Johnson trade proves you don't have to be a UFA to get moved. If we moved a goalie I don't think it would be Bouch. I'm with those who think it would be Peters especially since he has shown some maturity and improvement in the crease.

Its possible we move one of our 3rd/4th line forwards. Spacek will probable go if we get a fair offer. Its also possible we don't make any moves. I guess we will know in the next 3 and a half days.

You make good points. There will be decisions to make but I think many will be made after the season. Right now we are focusing on the UFA rental deals but the Carter/Johnson trade proves you don't have to be a UFA to get moved. If we moved a goalie I don't think it would be Bouch. I'm with those who think it would be Peters especially since he has shown some maturity and improvement in the crease.

Its possible we move one of our 3rd/4th line forwards. Spacek will probable go if we get a fair offer. Its also possible we don't make any moves. I guess we will know in the next 3 and a half days.

I guess so much depends on factors we really can't see, mainly how much interest and what kind of offers certain guys are getting, and specifically what is being offered. For instance, the idea of moving Peters. I agree in principle since Boucher is a classic back up and we have a young proven #1, and other guys in the wings, but Peters has only had a few good starts. And as a second round goalie hopes were and are high for him. Would he fetch fair value? Certainly not a playoff type rental as a young unproven guy, he'd have to be part of a bigger trade.

Always an interesting time of year to be sure.

I guess so much depends on factors we really can't see, mainly how much interest and what kind of offers certain guys are getting, and specifically what is being offered. For instance, the idea of moving Peters. I agree in principle since Boucher is a classic back up and we have a young proven #1, and other guys in the wings, but Peters has only had a few good starts. And as a second round goalie hopes were and are high for him. Would he fetch fair value? Certainly not a playoff type rental as a young unproven guy, he'd have to be part of a bigger trade.

Always an interesting time of year to be sure.

I think your right about Peters. But with his recent play a team may take a chance if it was part of something bigger. It is indeed an interesting time or year. The problem is I like our team and where it looks like it is heading. Still I know changes must be made if not at deadline then after the season.

At least we now look like we can evaluate the team we have and the pieces we need. Back in November it looked like everywhere you looked you needed help. Thats not the case now.

What is Columbus doing exactly? They acquire Carter to give Nash finally a top line centre, and then they trade him before the season is over? Yes I know the season was a disaster but still, trading him for a 1st and a crappy D-man? Johnson is so overrated it's pathetic. He's a guaranteed double digit minus player every season. I mean what are the Blue Jackets fans supposed to think now? And yes they've actually got a good base there of fans. I guess they will trade Nash and start anew since 12 years with Nash and whoever hasn't worked. Should've happened a lot sooner IMO but then again why was Hitchcock ever fired? Grrrr idk why but I get upset at Columbus haha.

I can understand why Canes fans don't like Jack Johnson, and personally I'm ecstatic we have Gleason instead, but I think you were a little harsh on JJ. If you look at his numbers, they are actually kind of similar to Pitkanen and we know how valuable Joni can be. Add in the fact that he plays a physical game and you can see why people always comment on his talent. I don't think he will ever be a shutdown D-man like Gleason, but I think he might be better than Mcbain.

They just interviewed JJ on XM radio. Very interesting.

He says he's happy to be in Columbus to a "team that wants him." They pressed him on his long contract when he signed it, and how the GM said he had a long future in LA. JJ was asked what the GM now said when he was traded (essentially taking back that promise), and if he said "sorry about that" or anything.

JJ said "no, it was just a very short conversation."

Don't know what's going on, but the whole thing was interesting because you know there's more to this story.

Edited by wxray1

Devils acquire Marek Zidlicky from Wild for:

Kurtis Foster

Nick Palmieri

Stephane Veilleux

2nd rd pick in '12

conditional pick in '13

Interesting read in the Globe this morning, I think Ruutu was the piece the Bruins were after and now that he's off the market they don't have a better option yet. The article mentions what they're not willing to give up (Dougie Hamilton) but they don't make any mention of Jordan Caron. I'm not buying they won't be looking for a deal soon but I think its less likely the Canes will be their trade partners unless they just go for defensive depth. Even then, what do have to give us of value?

Bruins Not Leaning on Trade Help

I like this team too. Really hard to read the whole "out of the playoff race no pressure etc" thing, but Muller has them skating every night and fighting hard, and of course we don't exactly have the most talented roster. But with the Gleason and Ruutu signings, and maybe adding some top six help, I think we can good going forward this season and even better next year (i.e. playoffs). I'm genuinely excited to be a Hurricanes fan again; the effort every night makes it worth watching again.

I can understand why Canes fans don't like Jack Johnson, and personally I'm ecstatic we have Gleason instead, but I think you were a little harsh on JJ. If you look at his numbers, they are actually kind of similar to Pitkanen and we know how valuable Joni can be. Add in the fact that he plays a physical game and you can see why people always comment on his talent. I don't think he will ever be a shutdown D-man like Gleason, but I think he might be better than Mcbain.

So you're saying my bias against JJ is hurting my view of him...? How dare you!

just kidding haha. You're spot on I don't like JJ at all and will never give him a positive spin. I didn't even look at his stats when I made the previous statement; I was just pretty sure he was a minus player often. He is better than McBain and the talent is also evident at times as well. Maybe Columbus will be able to make the best of it. I want them to succeed.

Hemsky is off the market. He signed a 2 yr. 10 mil deal with the oil. Looks like 5m a year is the going rate.

Lol, Yea I used to hate JJ too. Then I realized there wasn't much to be mad about, we got the better deal :thumbsup:

Does anyone else think we are going to mostly stand pat before the deadline? I like the way the team is playing right now but relying on young players to drastically improve is not a winning strategy. I mean I'm still waiting on Sutter to become a 20 goal scorer again and Boychuk to live up to his draft selection.

Hemsky is off the market. He signed a 2 yr. 10 mil deal with the oil. Looks like 5m a year is the going rate.

I don't understand the appeal of Hemsky. He was good like 3 years ago but signed to 5M? The guy has played 116 games over the past 3 seasons.

Does anyone else think we are going to mostly stand pat before the deadline? I like the way the team is playing right now but relying on young players to drastically improve is not a winning strategy. I mean I'm still waiting on Sutter to become a 20 goal scorer again and Boychuk to live up to his draft selection.

I don't understand the appeal of Hemsky. He was good like 3 years ago but signed to 5M? The guy has played 116 games over the past 3 seasons.

I'm not a big Hemsky fan but it appears he was shopped just in case. Maybe they found out the return for Hemsky wasn't that good or the replacement cost for a forward was going to cost them as much if not more for a similar replacement. The upside is if Hemsky is healthy and returns to form they probable have a bargain is todays market. The gamble is he might not.

I'm not sure if we will mostly stand pat at deadline. I think we will make a move or two. But I get the feeling both JR and Muller have a plan for what they would like to see this team look like next season. Those moves could come later. There were lots of guys off the ice at practice. The Michael Smith tweet posted earlier about I guess they were traded was funny but at this time of year you do wonder. It wouldn't be the first time JR has surprised everybody. Then again maybe not. ( I need a smiley sitting on fence).:letssee:

sitting-on-the-fence-smile.gif

x

I'm gonna be honest, since we've dealt JJ I really haven't looked back am I the only one? He didn't want to play here, to heck with him. I've gone over a year forgetting he ever had anything to do with us.