The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
jeromeo87

2012 NHL Trade Deadline

I'm gonna be honest, since we've dealt JJ I really haven't looked back am I the only one? He didn't want to play here, to heck with him. I've gone over a year forgetting he ever had anything to do with us.

The only times I think of JJ is when considering how we've done with top 5 draft picks. Staal, Ladd, JJ = Staal, Ruutu, Gleason. Not bad. Our resigning of Gleason would seem to make him the better long term play over JJ even if he wanted to be here. Our resigning of Ruutu makes that one decent also. Perhaps Gleason and Ruutu are not elite talents, but they are very solid talents who both bring great character.

All I will say is JJ is a career -90 and about .3 PPG. In roughly 50% more games, Joni is a career -5, which includes a -25 on a horrendous Philly team, and roughly .5 PPG. That is not similar.

He looked like he had a lot of promise, but then just faded out of view.

That's what happens when you start to believe your own hype.

[/JJtalk]

So looks like this trade deadline is going to be rather interesting. Keeping my fingers crossed that JR has something up his sleeve.

I've gotta think at least Spacek gets moved. Like the guy, but at his age he is not going to be here next year.

Hearing Spacek to the Bruins for Adam McQuaid at my son's practice this morning...anyone else hear this?

Hearing Spacek to the Bruins for Adam McQuaid at my son's practice this morning...anyone else hear this?

Haven't heard that yet but isn't he relatively young and tough? Does his contract run out after the season? Canes already have a glut of NHL defenseman

Haven't heard that yet but isn't he relatively young and tough? Does his contract run out after the season? Canes already have a glut of NHL defenseman

Yeah, I was suprised to hear we were trading a D for another D but maybe its a part of a bigger deal...Chip A reponting that Spacek is on the ice for the morning skate so who knows. I'm still holding out hope that we make a deal with Philly for JVR who's back on the ice.

Staal to Toronto for every 1st rounder they ever have again, ever. Sounds like a Burke deal doesn't it? You heard it here first.

Really not that far fetched JR talking to Spacek after the morning skate and if we deal Spacek for McQuaid, we could package Allen and a prospect for a forward or turn McQuaid as a part of a 3 team deal.

For what its worth, I read the Globe every morning cover to cover and I haven't read anything about a trade with us for anyone.....yet. Adam McQuaid is also in the line up for the game tonight against Ottawa.

Bob McKenzie did say today that he thought Spacek would be dealt on Monday. He did say that because of the CBA issue, players are a little hesitant to enter free agency this summer because many teams could be on lock down and many would rather have the safety of a contract already in place rather than take a gamble at a few more dollars. I thought that was a pretty interesting angle.

Really not that far fetched JR talking to Spacek after the morning skate and if we deal Spacek for McQuaid, we could package Allen and a prospect for a forward or turn McQuaid as a part of a 3 team deal.

Allens not going anywhere, he wants to stay and that doesnt sound like the rhetoric of a guy who will waive his NTC he came with.

Florida Panthers are making some moves. They acquired Wolski from the Rangers (who are obviously clearing cap space) and Jerred Smithson from the Preds. Boy, Wolski's value has really fallen since leaving Phoenix. Looks like he only played 9 games for the Rangers this year and has only 3 assists. Smithson was acquired for faceoffs and the PK.

Yea I don't see McQuaid being offered....I would take a draft pick. 2nd rd pick seems fair considering every defensemen traded has gotten one. And with Pitkanen close to coming back, we really don't need someone to replace Spacek right away.

Edited by youngfan9886

I'm gonna be honest, since we've dealt JJ I really haven't looked back am I the only one? He didn't want to play here, to heck with him. I've gone over a year forgetting he ever had anything to do with us.

I agree... I forget he exists until someone mentions him.

Well, anyone with even a 0.1% hope of us getting Nash can forget it 100%... he gave a list of teams he'd be willing to wave his NTC to be traded to and Carolina isn't on it.

Nash has a no-movement clause in his contract, but he has given the Blue Jackets a list of teams that he would be willing to accept a trade to. Nash's list of teams reportedly includes the Rangers, Canucks, Bruins, Kings, Sharks and Maple Leafs.

Source: Nash's agent breaks silence

Edited by jb_online

with playoff hopes all but gone, it will be interesting to see what this week will bring. don't see the need to bring in a rental for the end of the season and I don't see too many teams interested in our remaining UFAs.

Probaly spocek, but building blocks will be in place, when we a top 6 winger.. i cant get over how we always lose in shootouts..and need a top d-man.. sure, whoever was there, was real deflated, and u other caniacs

Next season MUST start in the next few hours before 3PM Monday. The last 2 OT losses sealed the fate of this year's squad. JR should take that sober assessment into the deadline. No knock on the players, but they dug this hole as a group from day one. Muller deserves better and has rescued a "fragile" team into a competitive one. Start the process NOW!

If you're a UFA and unsigned, c-ya. That includes Allen. If you're not planned for next year's squad, then move 'em or sit 'em. Hold tryouts/camp NOW, not in September. A squad with that mindset will likley outperform one hoping to get in the playoff hunt. Rest the weary and injured until 100% with certainty.

Don't worry about the gaps for now and fill them on July 1st. Get Boychuck, Dalpe and Dadonov up here and find out if they can play when it matters, not during camp.

JR, if you're as sick and tired of losing as we are, and leave no margin for error (like last night), then you can get 'er done!

Edited by Manwolf

Florida Panthers are making some moves. They acquired Wolski from the Rangers (who are obviously clearing cap space) and Jerred Smithson from the Preds. Boy, Wolski's value has really fallen since leaving Phoenix. Looks like he only played 9 games for the Rangers this year and has only 3 assists. Smithson was acquired for faceoffs and the PK.

Wolski fixed that last night ... at our expense. :(

Wolski fixed that last night ... at our expense. :(

I think both acquisitions made a statement last night at the Canes' expense :)

Witnessing last nights loss to FLA pushed me over the edge. I think I'm with Manwolf. Next year begins now. While I'll still route for us to win every game, I would hope we finish in the bottom 3 rather than barely missing the playoffs again. I guess my dream outcome (other than making playoffs) would be to trade Allen & pick/prospect for van Reimsdyk. Spacek for pick. Draft either Grigorenko or Forsberg. To top it off JR signs Whitney back, probably can't afford that though, thats why I said dream lol. So just slide the right side up and put Bowman or Samson on 4th line.

Giving us something like:

van Reimsdyk - Staal - Whitney

Jokinen - Skinner - Ruutu

Dwyer - Sutter - Grigorenko/Forsberg

Larose - Brent - Nodl

Gleason - Pitkanen

Harrison - Faulk

McBain - Murphy

Ward

Boucher

Edited by slashvanrhoads