The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
jeromeo87

2012 NHL Trade Deadline

While I agree prepping for next season starts tomorrow before 3pm the only things I expect to happen is making room to get as many kids in the lineup as possible to see what our inventory looks like.

Anything that's going to really change the team isn't going to happen until the summer. Last thing I want to do is make a splash while teams think they can push us around in trade value.

....Anything that's going to really change the team isn't going to happen until the summer...

IMO that is too late. I'm not suggesting acquiring players, but preparation for excellence. Not a plan for mediocrity. Being a team with a chance of making the Playoffs is a plan for mediocrity. Building a team to be first in the East next year is a plan for excellence.

There is absolutely no reason to NOT start that long journey immediately. That includes a look at the prospects, acquiring picks for UFAs, waiving/sitting anybody who doesn't fit and healing the wounded.

IMO the outcome we're getting as fans starts/stops with fielding a squad and coaches. This year's result has been unacceptable to this fan. Getting Muller has been a great start, but he can use help.

I know my view on this is extremely unpopular, but an elite draft pick is more important than the winning feeling.

We cannot try to lose, the coaches and players must play to win, but Spacek must be dealt, Allen either signed or dealt. I'd be really tempted to try to rent Allen. See if he wants to make a playoff run and tell him we'll sign him right after his team is eliminated. Get a pick.

Sure, love Joslin on the wing. But he's blocking a Dalpe or Boychuk. Move Spacek and or Allen, get Joslin back to D. Get more kids up here. When is LaRose due back? Any trade deadline interest in him?

Peters? Really? Would anyone give us anything real for him after a couple of nice starts? If so, do it.

A late season run to 9th would just really suck this year. Not much would be worse.

The Blues have traded goalie Ben Bishop to the Senators for a second-round draft pick in 2013. Looks like the Sens are going for it.

I saw Chip tweeted JR saying there was a possibility of a "hockey trade". That is at least twice he has mentioned a more traditional type trade over the past few weeks. Hmmmm!

waiting...waiting...waiting.

of the remaining UFAs, I don't see any that we could not afford to lose. the Canes are pretty much stocked with the Checkers. However, we do need help on offense. Don't know who we can bring in without mortgaging the farm

I know Dubinsky's name came up in the Nash rumors. Rangers might need secondary scoring and a dman. Hmmm Doobs would look mighty nice as that 2nd line center we've been talking about. Plus he's protection for Jeff Skinner.

I know my view on this is extremely unpopular, but an elite draft pick is more important than the winning feeling.

A late season run to 9th would just really suck this year. Not much would be worse.

Amazingly, Montreal is doing a great job of finding the basement. Florida beat them today. Florida has a real shot of making the playoffs this year.

If we want a good draft pick, I guess JR blew it by trading TKabs to Montreal.

Seriously, the Canes are doing well enough to really jeapordize a top 5 pick.

David Pagnotta ‏@TheFourthPeriodReply - Plenty of calls about Carolina's Allen and Spacek today... some about Jussi Jokinen too.

I had a feeling.. Honestly, wouldn't surprise me, IF, of course, we got back another top 6 forward.. maybe the second line center we've needed. We'll see..

The morning Globe: Boston is desperate for defense and offense but what are they willing to give up for it?

Asked if clubs were requesting that Chiarelli give up picks and/or prospects, or whether he might have to part with a current roster player, the GM said, ''I've been clear in telling people I've talked to that I don't want to move anyone off our roster.''

Per league rules, Chiarelli is prohibited about discussing players currently with other clubs, which leaves us only to speculate on possible moves. As mentioned in today's Globe, one solid candidate could be Sami Pahlsson, the versatile ex-Bruin forward now with Columbus, and veteran defenseman Jaro Spacek, currently wasting away with the Canes.

The morning Globe: Boston is desperate for defense and offense but what are they willing to give up for it?

Jaro Spacek, currently wasting away with the Canes.

A little editorial comment inserted there, eh?

Oh, you big bad Bruins. Yeah, you are so relevant. Anybody playing with you is important.

Blah, blah, blah. Same old media bias.

---

Yeah, yeah, I know what they mean. But it is no coincidence that this team got better the second Jaro touched the ice here. He isn't wasting, he's playing a huge part in reconstructing a team and restoring confidence. Sure, he deserves that shot at the cup. I hope he gets it. I just would have preferred a different spin, like "Jaro Spacek, currently leading the rebuild with the Canes".

Haha, that'll never happen in the Boston-centric media. There's Boston....and there's the rest of the world.

David Pagnotta ‏@TheFourthPeriodReply - Plenty of calls about Carolina's Allen and Spacek today... some about Jussi Jokinen too.

I had a feeling.. Honestly, wouldn't surprise me, IF, of course, we got back another top 6 forward.. maybe the second line center we've needed. We'll see..

If we deal Jokinen I feel as though we'd just have a new top 6 hole to fill.

If we deal Jokinen I feel as though we'd just have a new top 6 hole to fill.

Well, like I said, if we trade Jokinen it should only be for another top 6 like a 2nd line center. That way, we would be trading a guy that can play center for a guy that is actually a center. Then during the summer JR can focus on getting a top 6 winger, hopefully a top liner for Staal.

Tlusty Staal NewGuy

Skinner NeGuy Ruutu

Some trade deadline humor:

Cole to Carolina? There's Remkin's top line winger :lol:

Well, watching TSN Trade Center on NHL Network and Montreal is rumored that everyone not named Subban, Price, Pacioretty could be traded.

Edited by hopper915

TSN says Andrei Kostitsyn to NSH.Looks like for a 2013 2nd round pick and the Hal Gill conditional pick.

Is Nashville the City of Brotherly Love?

TSN says Andrei Kostitsyn to NSH.Looks like for a 2013 2nd round pick and the Hal Gill conditional pick.

Is Nashville the City of Brotherly Love?

That's not a given, since the Kostitsyn brothers don't get along at times. Could bite the Preds in the butt.

That's not a given, since the Kostitsyn brothers don't get along at times. Could bite the Preds in the butt.

Isn't that the truth. I read Nashville had to think long and hard before pulling the trigger on this one.

That seems like a reasonable price for a top 6 winger depending on what the conditional pick for Gill was. Maybe the inflated asking prices are starting to come down?