The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
jeromeo87

2012 NHL Trade Deadline

Agreed and Chip just told someone off with the same reason. Maybe Allen just doesn't want to mess with his family right now.

Looks like Justin wanted to hear it from Chip too ;)

Just posting to confirm that I do not have a twitter account (that Warbirdarmy guy is not me.)

I don't really care but guess what name displays when you click on Warbirdarmy's nic in the Tweet? Funny coincidence, eh?

Chip Alexander‏@ice_chipReply - Muller really likes Allen. Thinking Allen will be re-signed.

Really good news, if true.

Forslund said JR really likes him too.

I picked a bad day to be at work unable to post until now, but then again, I guess I havn't missed much.

Chip A saying that Allen will likely be re-signed and that Mueller really likes him. Even with a Spacek trade we still have too many D-Men

Allen Gleason

Harrison McBain

Faulk Pitkanen

Joslin (unless he has found a home on the 4th line as a RW which may be a real possibility).

and then Murphy, Sanguinetti, Doumalin, Levi, etc.

If not a trade or 2 today then something has to give in the off-season...

I know trades come in after 3 o clock because the office gets backed up but it's really looking like we did diddly squat.

At least we should have moved Spacek, I don't care if it was for a 7th rounder.

Chip Alexander‏@ice_chipReply - Muller really likes Allen. Thinking Allen will be re-signed.

Really good news, if true.

Agreed. Have felt for a while it was heading this way. Hope he does stay.

And 3pm has hit, and Chip says Spacek not moved. Not too disappointed personally, but unusual not to move a guy like that at the deadline. But this deadline has been completely unusual.

ETA: Commodore for a 7th? Ouch. Anyone else think he's probably done at this point? He'll be collecting a check from CBJ for a few more years, should be enough to cover the ponies.

Edited by JLP

This team is not going to playoffs.. Why keep Spacek. I mean, we don't know what went on behind the scenes.. maybe he didn't want to be moved? I don't know.. But still, I was hoping for SOMETHING.

It is absolutely terrible the way this deadline has been handled by the Canes.

I understand it's not as simple as we might think, but this was terrible terrible terrible.

I can't believe we didn't get rid of a single guy.

I've said this a 1000 times.

There is no point in keeping a UFA when you know you won't make the playoffs.

Odds are pretty good that the 4th round pick he could have received for Spacek would be useless anyway. Has he ever drafted a notable player after R2?

It has to be clear to him that this group as a whole is not a playoff caliber team. Some player changes definitely have to take place for this team to return to the playoffs.

I can think of only one thing about Spacek.

That is his calming and mentoring influence on the young guys.

If JR was only getting diddly-squat offers in return, maybe he told the other GMs "efyou" to prove he was playing hardball, and keeping Jaro around to mentor.

Have a hard time imaging that Spacek, Allen and Pits will all be on the roster next year.

---

And to all the fans out there on other teams that are rich with cash and bravado, guess what, you can't just "get what you want" because you want it. Playing GM is fun, but the reality is hard ball. JR wasn't gonna play this one soft. He was making that clear.

Edited by wxray1

As much as I like Spacek it really makes no sense that JR didn't get even a 3rd rounder for him!

Isn't our D depth one of our strengths?

I understand completely about Allen, but not Spacek. Didn't he have a list of 18 teams he would accept a trade to?

:shakeshead:

Odds are pretty good that the 4th round pick he could have received for Spacek would be useless anyway. Has he ever drafted a notable player after R2?

Even if all you get for him is a bag of hockey pucks, not paying him the rest of the season and getting a younger player in the lineup is FAR from useless.

Deals like this are not about getting something back, they are about dumping what you have.

Even if all you get for him is a bag of hockey pucks, not paying him the rest of the season and getting a younger player in the lineup is FAR from useless.

Deals like this are not about getting something back, they are about dumping what you have.

Hey man, I was just taking as subtle of a shot as I could at JR! I got destroyed by most of the people here when I was blatant about my dislike for JR.

Edited by Justin8649

Not only did we not get SOMETHING for Spacek, but no space was opened for any young guys to have a shot for the rest of the year.

Mike Maniscalco‏@mikemaniscalcoReply - "Need another top flight forward to play with Eric Staal."--Jim Rutherford. Did not initate contact for a top 6 forward today.

Didn't even try? Anything?..

Hey man, I was just taking as subtle of a shot as I could at JR! I got destroyed by most of the people here when I was less-than-subtle about my dislike for JR.

Ha, JR is right waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay more than he is wrong. But today doesn't appear to be his best moment.

In other news...

Allen and Spacek, if they refused moves, better re-sign for hardly nothing.

I'm having that nervous vomit taste in my mouth again like I did with Whitney a few years ago on deadline day...

Not only did we not get SOMETHING for Spacek, but no space was opened for any young guys to have a shot for the rest of the year.

I generally agree with you guys, and I expected Jaro to go too, to open up room.

However, I don't think it is a complete waste. Jaro seems like a quality guy who can set a great example for our young guys.

And we have NO idea what was being offered in return. Sorry, but sometimes you have to tell the other side to take a hike. You don't want to be completely weak and just give Boston [or insert team here] what they want for a bag of pucks. Why help the enemy with nothing in return?

Mike Maniscalco‏@mikemaniscalcoReply - "Need another top flight forward to play with Eric Staal."--Jim Rutherford. Did not initate contact for a top 6 forward today.

Didn't even try? Anything?..

In JR's defense, if you are looking for someone to play with Staal, it makes much more sense to this in the offseason that today in the position the Canes are in.

Other than Nash what other TRUE top 6 forward was available today at a decent price?

I side with JR on waiting until the offseason to swing a trade or signing on a top 6 forward.

I disagree with not getting anything for Spacek (again who I really, really like).