The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
jeromeo87

2012 NHL Trade Deadline

Lots of folks here really down on JR, but why? Unless you were working the phones with him, you don't know what he was offered or even if he was offered anything for Spacek or Allen. You can't force a trade on a team. If JR doesn't get what he perceives as value out of a trade, he is going to stand pat.

Always remember, this is the GM that traded away Kabs. It doesn't totally forgive him for signing him, but it's a start.

The return on Spacek would have been next to nothing, but it would have opened up a spot for Pits to come back. I mostly feel bad for Jaro himself. He's getting up there in age and this would have been a good chance to get on a contending team for a Cup run.

As for Allen, I really hope he's liking playing with Gleason and wants to come back next year (2 year deal, $5m maybe). That pairing has been great.

The biggest concern right now is who sits when Pits comes back?

There was no way a deal for a scoring forward was getting done today. If we're getting something for Staal it's going to be via FA. Personally I hope we're going after a legit 2nd line center to slot between Juice and Skinner, while keeping Tlusty and Ruu on the line with Staal.

I generally agree with you guys, and I expected Jaro to go too, to open up room.

However, I don't think it is a complete waste. Jaro seems like a quality guy who can set a great example for our young guys.

And we have NO idea what was being offered in return. Sorry, but sometimes you have to tell the other side to take a hike. You don't want to be completely weak and just give Boston [or insert team here] what they want for a bag of pucks. Why help the enemy with nothing in return?

You are acting like we were mad b/c a Staal or a Ward wasn't traded - someone on a long contract - or a Skinner or a Faulk - someone young.

You are barely helping another team by giving them a player for a month and a half when the player has the right to sign anywhere come July 1.

I stand by my opinion that it almost makes ZERO sense to keep UFA if you aren't going to the playoffs. JR just said it's "tough to say" whether or not they can resign Allen. Doesn't sound like a lot of confidence to me..

I appreciate the fact that JR is a smart GM, but sometimes I think he's too safe, to the point where nothing gets done..

I think this sometimes, too. And I'm one of his biggest supporters.

I am not mad, just really surprised that Jaro wasn't traded. It's hard to believe that JR wasn't offered at least a 3rd rounder for him at some point. We have Joslin, Pitkanen, Sangs, Murphy etc. all waiting in the wings to play D at some point in the near future. Also, it seems he wants to resign Allen so that only leaves one open D slot.

Really puzzling.

We get until July 1st to sign the guy whose help Tim start looking like himself again. Worth it to me on that front.

Jaro doesn't because he won't be here next year. It's cute having Joslin on the 4th line but he's a defensemen that I'd like to see on defense who was supposively capable of being a 2nd pairing guy. He's a 4th liner for life if there serious about the winger thing.

You are acting like we were mad b/c a Staal or a Ward wasn't traded - someone on a long contract - or a Skinner or a Faulk - someone young.

Don't put words in my mouth.

I did not say that.

Rolston and Gaustad moved thats about as exciting as today got and if that's exciting then so is the weather chanell.

I can deal with Bettman ruining the All-Star game but when the trade deadline is boring you've really done a job.

Which is why I started the post with "you are acting like" which implies you didn't say it.

I know, but people forget it. I'm continuing this dialog to make it clear I didn't say something like that.

Anyway, no quarrel with ya, just wanted to be clear.

JR said he's "hoping" he's still not saying from a year or two from now that we need a winger for Staal. That's not what I want to hear. I want to hear, "We WILL get a winger for Staal." If you can't do it by free agency, fine. We have PLENTY of assits to use to get it done. It's just a matter of pulling the trigger. Don't play it SOOO safe. Take a chance every now and then.

To play devil's advocate, Kaberle signing was a chance.

I suppose you're right. Ok.. Let me try again.

Take a chance every now then on someone who isn't a 33 year-old, fat defenseman.

If the Kaberle-like chances are the only ones we can expect from JR, he's lost his edge.

I'll give JR this summer. Let's see what he does. IF he doesn't bring in either a top line winger or a second line center AND we still have McBain and Pitkanen on the roster, I'll be done with him..and I've been a fan of his for quite some time.

I was a little surprised we didn't make a move but looking at the trades their wasn't that much we would have gained. I like the Blackhawk pickup of Oduya. Boston looks like they did alright picking up Rolston for their run. Lots of trades had a D-man coming back. That isn't what we needed.

It is what it is. I like both Allen and Spacek so not all that disappointing seeing what was coming back. We should do better around the draft when we can move Picks, AHL prospects and some vets.

If the Kaberle-like chances are the only ones we can expect from JR, he's lost his edge.

I'll give JR this summer. Let's see what he does. IF he doesn't bring in either a top line winger or a second line center AND we still have McBain and Pitkanen on the roster, I'll be done with him..and I've been a fan of his for quite some time.

Really, he doesn't deal a 38 year old defensemen for a 5th rounder and that's your back breaker?

Really, he doesn't deal a 38 year old defensemen for a 5th rounder and that's your back breaker?

Did I say that? The whole season was almost the back breaker.. But the back isn't broken..yet. Like I said, we'll see what happens. Much like Mo-hockey, I haven't seen any creativity from management in sometime now. Ugh.. I don't even want to think about what it would be like if Skinner didn't shock everyone like he has.

How about bringing Paul Maurice back for a second trial even though he was fired previously for perfectly valid reasons?

How about drafting multiple 1st round busts? The only notable players he has ever drafted outside of R2 are Erik Cole and Nic Wallin.

How about the recurring offseason theme of signing 3-5 bottom 6 players (Carter, Yelle, Poni, Stewart, etc.) to fill in for top 6 players (Cullen, Whitney, Cole, Stillman, etc.)? Why waste the combined money for mediocre bottom 6 talent? Just combine that money for ONE top 6 player and fill out the bottom 6 with AHLers.

How about constantly refusing to re-sign players during the year and then out of nowhere deciding to break that theme for TIM GLEASON??? What an awful deal that was. You know Bryan Allen's agent saw that deal and said "Yep. You want Allen? We want Gleason money." So goodbye Allen thanks to that brilliant move.

How about constantly refusing to draft blueliners in the 1st round because they "take too long to develop." How many years has this franchise been doomed because of mediocre-to-awful blueliners? Oh wait, we finally got a midget defenseman in the 1st round!!! I'll have no problem eating crow if Murphy becomes a solid defenseman for this team though. I'm seriously thrilled that he finally went against his instincts on this one. I just wish he would've done it sooner and on a bigger defenseman.

There are several things that JR has done to be frustrated about. It isn't simply because he failed to move yet another UFA that will not be re-signed.

I really did used to be a huge JR fan.. and I'm not saying that I'm not a fan now. Like I said, let's see what he does this offseason. But man, the JR-haters are starting to make some sense to me. Granted, I know JR does not have the money to spend that a lot of other GMs have, but still.. The combination of no creativity and just making really dumb moves are starting to get to me..

pretty boring deadline overall, surprised we didn't get one trade done even if it was a minor one. Guess everyone is satisfied with where they are or feeling a bit skittish with the CBA looming.

"For the most part we felt we were going to keep most of the players we had," general manager Jim Rutherford said. "We really didn't talk about very many. The defensemen were the ones who got the most action. Spacek was the guy teams called about for the most part. He was second or third on teams' lists and teams never got to that and we never got to the point of getting an offer."

Can't make a trade if you don't have a trade partner. We'll see if JR was smart by standing pat and working to get his players locked up with contracts rather than deal them. With the CBA and salary cap up in the air this summer, maybe teams will be looking for players already under contract to trade for rather than to have to worry about getting them under contract?

My guess is that JR feels pretty good about signing Allen by July 1st, similar to the Ruutu situation.