The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
jeromeo87

2012 NHL Trade Deadline

Well your quite ticked off over the lack of movement today :) So it seemed like Jaro not moving was your final straw.

I am going to venture to guess a good portion of the league's players knew Mo was an idiot and didn't want to play for him including our own guys. I think Muller adds a great deal of credibility to the team and kicking alot of teams butts since he took over it sure to be noticed by potential signees.

However I wouldnt point to much of a finger at JR, he's strapped in terms of cash. How can you be creative when your barely above the cap floor and each year the salaries are slowly getting more and more ridiculous.

How about bringing Paul Maurice back for a second trial even though he was fired previously for perfectly valid reasons?

How about drafting multiple 1st round busts? The only notable players he has ever drafted outside of R2 are Erik Cole and Nic Wallin.

How about the recurring offseason theme of signing 3-5 bottom 6 players (Carter, Yelle, Poni, Stewart, etc.) to fill in for top 6 players (Cullen, Whitney, Cole, Stillman, etc.)? Why waste the combined money for mediocre bottom 6 talent? Just combine that money for ONE top 6 player and fill out the bottom 6 with AHLers.

How about constantly refusing to re-sign players during the year and then out of nowhere deciding to break that theme for TIM GLEASON??? What an awful deal that was. You know Bryan Allen's agent saw that deal and said "Yep. You want Allen? We want Gleason money." So goodbye Allen thanks to that brilliant move.

How about constantly refusing to draft blueliners in the 1st round because they "take too long to develop." How many years has this franchise been doomed because of mediocre-to-awful blueliners? Oh wait, we finally got a midget defenseman in the 1st round!!! I'll have no problem eating crow if Murphy becomes a solid defenseman for this team though. I'm seriously thrilled that he finally went against his instincts on this one. I just wish he would've done it sooner and on a bigger defenseman.

There are several things that JR has done to be frustrated about. It isn't simply because he failed to move yet another UFA that will not be re-signed.

Wasn't even talking to you but thanks for having a meltdown.

Edited by legend-1

JR completely failed this time in my book. Oduya was worth a 2nd and 3rd rounder but we couldn't unload Spacek? I don't care if it was for a bag of pucks, the point was clearing the payroll and roster space for Pitkanen who should be back in 5 days. And I hate to break it to JR but we aren't signing Allen and Spacek this summer. So if we aren't signing them both, why keep them both? Completely boneheaded move by staying pat. Essentially JR is saying, "We like our team"....a team that is 14th in the conference.

Come on now guys. Read the bolded quote in TSA's post above. It doesn't matter what WE think WE could get for these players. Sounds like offers just weren't made because our guys weren't at the top of other teams' lists. Hard to trade someone without a partner willing to make an offer.

Nevertheless, JR has some serious work to do over the summer. Listening to his comments, it sounds like he's well aware of that. Hopefully he'll find a way to get it done.

EDIT: And just to be clear, I was also hoping JR would move a couple UFA's today. Sometimes things just don't work out.

Edited by Stealth-ch1

Come on now guys. Read the bolded quote in TSA's post above. It doesn't matter what WE think WE could get for these players. Sounds like offers just weren't made because our guys weren't at the top of other teams' lists. Hard to trade someone without a partner willing to make an offer.

Nevertheless, JR has some serious work to do over the summer. Listening to his comments, it sounds like he's well aware of that. Hopefully he'll find a way to get it done.

EDIT: And just to be clear, I was also hoping JR would move a couple UFA's today. Sometimes things just don't work out.

There were no offers, but there were inquiries.

Source: Chip Tweet

Chip Alexander ‏ @ice_chip

Rutherford said there were no offers for either Allen or Spacek. Said teams called asking what it would take to get them, but no offers.

I read that to mean that JR gave ballpark ideas of what he wanted, and the price was too high for guys that were "second or third" on the other team's list.

Edited by wxray1

JR completely failed this time in my book. Oduya was worth a 2nd and 3rd rounder but we couldn't unload Spacek? I don't care if it was for a bag of pucks, the point was clearing the payroll and roster space for Pitkanen who should be back in 5 days. And I hate to break it to JR but we aren't signing Allen and Spacek this summer. So if we aren't signing them both, why keep them both? Completely boneheaded move by staying pat. Essentially JR is saying, "We like our team"....a team that is 14th in the conference.

What Stealth said. JR gave a lot of good information during his press conference. It's really worth a listen.

FYI, Pits and Ruutu are 2-3 weeks away from returning and Chad at least one week

How about bringing Paul Maurice back for a second trial even though he was fired previously for perfectly valid reasons?

How about drafting multiple 1st round busts? The only notable players he has ever drafted outside of R2 are Erik Cole and Nic Wallin.

How about the recurring offseason theme of signing 3-5 bottom 6 players (Carter, Yelle, Poni, Stewart, etc.) to fill in for top 6 players (Cullen, Whitney, Cole, Stillman, etc.)? Why waste the combined money for mediocre bottom 6 talent? Just combine that money for ONE top 6 player and fill out the bottom 6 with AHLers.

How about constantly refusing to re-sign players during the year and then out of nowhere deciding to break that theme for TIM GLEASON??? What an awful deal that was. You know Bryan Allen's agent saw that deal and said "Yep. You want Allen? We want Gleason money." So goodbye Allen thanks to that brilliant move.

How about constantly refusing to draft blueliners in the 1st round because they "take too long to develop." How many years has this franchise been doomed because of mediocre-to-awful blueliners? Oh wait, we finally got a midget defenseman in the 1st round!!! I'll have no problem eating crow if Murphy becomes a solid defenseman for this team though. I'm seriously thrilled that he finally went against his instincts on this one. I just wish he would've done it sooner and on a bigger defenseman.

There are several things that JR has done to be frustrated about. It isn't simply because he failed to move yet another UFA that will not be re-signed.

I agree that the Paul Maurice hiring was dumb, and we do have a habit of bargain bin shopping for free agents but the rest of the comments are off-base. There aren't too many stars that are drafted 3rd rd or later. And if you look at the defending stanley cup champion bruins, they had exactly 1 3rd rd player that they drafted in Brad Marchand. All the other players on their roster who were drafted 3rd rd or later were free agent signings or trades. You can't expect them to draft stars every year no matter where they are picking. And your whole Gleason rant is ridiculous. The guy is a +6, which on our bad team is saying a lot, and he plays against the other team's best lines. Do you see any other free agent 1st pairing defensemen out there that are gonna cost 3.5M next season?

How about the recurring offseason theme of signing 3-5 bottom 6 players (Carter, Yelle, Poni, Stewart, etc.) to fill in for top 6 players (Cullen, Whitney, Cole, Stillman, etc.)? Why waste the combined money for mediocre bottom 6 talent?

For the record..

You mention JR did a poor job of bringing in forwards. No disagreement here (but Carter and Yelle are AWFUL examples b/c they were not intended to be top 6. There was no way they played ahead of Brind'Amour and Staal).

But then you mention guys that needed to be replaced. This means you were happy with what they did.

Yet with the exception of Cole, every player you mention was brought in as a free agent (and Cullen is a bad example here too, since he was signed to be a third center behind Staal and Brindy).

How can you dislike what our GM does because he does the "recurring offseason theme of signing 3-5 bottom 6 players to fill in for top 6 players" yet the top 6 players you named were offseason signings to be top 6?

It NEVER ceases to amaze me...Never.

Edited by golfpro827

Yelle was basically supposed to do what Tim Brent is doing now, winning faceoffs, killing penalties, centering the back lines and doing utility work. I don't even remember Carter, but I think he was Yelle's replacement, right? I think Brent was an excellent signing considering his role.

When posters were talking about taking some chances, I think he did with Stewart and Poni. They looked like they were poised to have break out seasons, but neither did. To me, that was taking a chance that one would break out and match or come close to matching the physical role that Cole had in the top two lines. Then the other could file in wherever. It just didn't happen. So JR corrected two of those let-downs (Kabs II, and Poni), and tried to with Stewart (placed on waivers).

Today, in the end there was no interested parties. Can't blame JR. I'd like to keep Allen, but all-the-sudden we have a plethora of blueliners going into next season, with Ryan Murphy close, Joslin out of place, Joni getting healthy, etc. Jaro isn't going to be a Cane starting next season. He just can't be. I like him, but if we don't keep Allen, well, it opens a spot. I can't get too upset about that.

What Stealth said. JR gave a lot of good information during his press conference. It's really worth a listen.

FYI, Pits and Ruutu are 2-3 weeks away from returning and Chad at least one week

Yeah, I typed this response before I heard the interview. You have to wonder though if Spacek was 2nd or 3rd on other team's list because Rutherford was asking for too much though. He obviously fielded calls about Spacek, I wonder if he said something like "I'm kind of looking for a 2nd rd pick or something in one those calls." Obviously this is pure speculation but what is going to end up happening now is we are going to put somebody on waivers and hope someone takes them off our hands. We have too many defensemen....if we have no injuries the rest of the year, it's possible Faulk might have to be sent back down to the minors or we risk losing a guy for nothing.

I guess time will tell the story, but on the surface the trade deadline and days leading to it were a failure by JR. At minimum he should have moved Spacek, and possibly Allen. For the latter a NTC may have played a role, so I can understand that. Not a huge failure, but a missed opportunity to build for later - even if only a pick for Jaro.

I hope the Canes re-sign Allen, or if not consider Jaro as Plan B pending Murphy's camp showing. However, the allure of better terms from other teams could cost us Allen (see Whitney).

Regardless, the off-season is better suited for what JR needs to do. Adding forwards or signing UFAs should be a more flexible process during the off-season than bidding against Playoff hopefuls today. IMO that period allows for swapping prospects, where today is more about the immediate impact for the stretch run.

I hope the organization uses the remaining 20 games to evaluate what they'll keep, or not. Waiting until camp will be a huge mistake IMO. Hold camp now.

Holy cow did this thread come alive. For the most part I sense that people had gotten the misconception that there was likely a big move out there for us. There was not. JR did botch the Spacek thing, but it was no where near the debacle of Whitney. I'm guess that the market just never materialized for Spacek, and JR was not interested in giving him up for a 20th round pick. Personally I'd have moved him for anything. I agree with the need to open spots up, and frankly this team needs to go full on yutes and get a top 5 pick.

But JR wants Allen on this team, and Allen wants to stay, so JR was probably only moving him for a really really good deal and it didn't materialize.

Other than not moving Spacek I have loved JR's recent moves and comments.

He has:

Fired Mo, signed what appears to be a very good coach

Signed Gleason.

Signed Ruutu.

Said he wanted a top 3 winger.

Said he wanted a top 5 draft pick.

Is going to sign Allen.

If he does all of that we will be good. Throw in an underated top 6 center and it's gravy.

Some times the best thing is:

Don't just do something! Stand there. (other than not moving Spacek). The big move will come later. The thing now is to see the kids and get that top pick.

I guess time will tell the story, but on the surface the trade deadline and days leading to it were a failure by JR. At minimum he should have moved Spacek, and possibly Allen. For the latter a NTC may have played a role, so I can understand that. Not a huge failure, but a missed opportunity to build for later - even if only a pick for Jaro.

I hope the Canes re-sign Allen, or if not consider Jaro as Plan B pending Murphy's camp showing. However, the allure of better terms from other teams could cost us Allen (see Whitney).

Regardless, the off-season is better suited for what JR needs to do. Adding forwards or signing UFAs should be a more flexible process during the off-season than bidding against Playoff hopefuls today. IMO that period allows for swapping prospects, where today is more about the immediate impact for the stretch run.

I hope the organization uses the remaining 20 games to evaluate what they'll keep, or not. Waiting until camp will be a huge mistake IMO. Hold camp now.

I agree with "holding camp" now but it is tough to bring up 3 AHL forwards at the same time. Some people want to see Dalpe and Boychuk but we already have Samson and Bowman up here, who have been the most successful call-ups. Unfortunately, our hands are kind of tied with some questionable contracts. Anthony Stewart, Dwyer, and Nodl come to mind. All of those guys are signed for next year and I don't think there is much of a market for them. Heck we couldn't even give Stewart away....these guys are blocking the kids but honestly, the kids aren't knocking on the door either.

Sounds like a lot of people had a preconceived notion about what JR was supposed to do and now they are somehow offended that teams didn't make an offer for Spacek because he was way down on their wish list. Really?

Sounds like a lot of people had a preconceived notion about what JR was supposed to do and now they are somehow offended that teams didn't make an offer for Spacek because he was way down on their wish list. Really?

Well, maybe. Especially when your GM goes out there and tells the faithful something like this:

JR was just on NHL Live.

My highlights: JR hopes to hear from Ruutu in the next few days on whether he will re-sign, otherwise it sounds like JR will deal him.

On defense, he mentioned Pitkanen's return (he will start skating this week and expected back within 10 days in games), saying this will make a dman expendable. He specifically mentioned there was interest in other teams for Spacek and Allen.

All in all, the trade deadline deals that were made were minor at best. Jeff Carter's pre-deadline deal was the highlight. With the upcoming CBA and salary caps issues, teams are less likely to make a blockbuster deal right now and are standing pat.

It's obvious there were no real serious dance partners for JR to work with. AND probably not willing to meet our high price for either Allen or Spacek. Nashville overpaid for Gaustad with a 1st and a 4th round and that was probably the tone for the whole league. Teams who were sellers, what few there were, wanted 1st and 2nd rounders.

I think the primary reason Spacek was asked to dance was his age... 38. With an age like that, he's not going to be considered more than a rental and no one wants to give up anything nice for someone who comes to the table with just a rental. Not saying to doesn't happen, but that's not a good way to start. That's probably the biggest reason why he was 2nd or 3rd on their lists.

And yeah, he might be plan B for an Allen incident. But I still think we'd be OK if they both left... I don't want that, but...

Oh, and Dwyer is not as easy to replace as plugging in a call-up. He's a great role player at a cheap price. Please don't forget that not every forward's value is based on their point-production.

Put me in the camp that, yeah, it would have been nice to get something for Spacek, but it isn't a disaster that JR didn't move him.

No way that this is comparable to Whitney. The Whitney mess was right in the middle of JR's string of badness (Maurice, Whitney, Cole, TKabs).

Whitney was a public airing of some dirty laundry. Spacek is a different matter. He's been a trading chip his whole career, coming and going with the trade winds (which were headwinds this deadline).

Holy cow did this thread come alive. For the most part I sense that people had gotten the misconception that there was likely a big move out there for us. There was not. JR did botch the Spacek thing, but it was no where near the debacle of Whitney. I'm guess that the market just never materialized for Spacek, and JR was not interested in giving him up for a 20th round pick. Personally I'd have moved him for anything. I agree with the need to open spots up, and frankly this team needs to go full on yutes and get a top 5 pick.

But JR wants Allen on this team, and Allen wants to stay, so JR was probably only moving him for a really really good deal and it didn't materialize.

Other than not moving Spacek I have loved JR's recent moves and comments.

He has:

Fired Mo, signed what appears to be a very good coach

Signed Gleason.

Signed Ruutu.

Said he wanted a top 3 winger.

Said he wanted a top 5 draft pick.

Is going to sign Allen.

If he does all of that we will be good. Throw in an underated top 6 center and it's gravy.

Some times the best thing is:

Don't just do something! Stand there. (other than not moving Spacek). The big move will come later. The thing now is to see the kids and get that top pick.

This is a good post and made me realize I probably overreacted earlier. I guess I had in mind some kind of deal would be sometime this year to bring some extra life in. If JR delivers on everything mentioned above, I can't complain.

I think the primary reason Spacek was asked to dance was his age... 38. With an age like that, he's not going to be considered more than a rental and no one wants to give up anything nice for someone who comes to the table with just a rental. Not saying to doesn't happen, but that's not a good way to start. That's probably the biggest reason why he was 2nd or 3rd on their lists.

And yeah, he might be plan B for an Allen incident. But I still think we'd be OK if they both left... I don't want that, but...

Oh, and Dwyer is not as easy to replace as plugging in a call-up. He's a great role player at a cheap price. Please don't forget that not every forward's value is based on their point-production.

Dwyer's only real value is as a penalty killer and we happen to be 26th in the league on the penalty kill. I know it's a team stat but he isn't exactly a key piece to success. And if you are wondering why Sutter hasn't come close to 20 goals in 2 years, you can point to the black hole of offense that has been on his wing during that time. Dwyer does lead the team in hits....but at 5'11 175pds, I don't think he's doing a lot of damage. If we were loaded with offense, then yeah you can afford a guy like this on the roster. (Like Larose during Cup year) But we don't have a talented roster...and Dwyer is playing too high on the depth chart.

Edited by youngfan9886

Dwyer's only real value is as a penalty killer and we happen to be 26th in the league on the penalty kill. I know it's a team stat but he isn't exactly a key piece to success. And if you are wondering why Sutter hasn't come close to 20 goals in 2 years, you can point to the black hole of offense that has been on his wing during that time. Dwyer does lead the team in hits....but at 5'11 175pds, I don't think he's doing a lot of damage. If we were loaded with offense, then yeah you can afford a guy like this on the roster. (Like Larose during Cup year) But we don't have a talented roster...and Dwyer is playing too high on the depth chart.

Beg to differ about Dwyers" only real value". Dwyer plays on Sutter's checking line since Muller came---

and night after night they go against the other teams top line. In fact, we may have prevented Fla

from getting two goals on Saturday,but Dwyer went down in the first, and Muller had to

shuffle that line.. The checking line has been very effective during Mullers time here.

Edited by UNCCaniac8

ESPN is reporting that there was a deal in place to move Spacek that fell through (Long ESPN article)

I agree that it is not the end of the world that Spacek was not traded. The organization is not heavily invested in him (no picks given to get him, etc.) so if he walks at the end of the year I will not be upset. To be honest, if just getting rid of Kaberle and having the person traded for Kaberle not play a shift the rest of the season I would have probably marked that up as a net gain. So, at a minimum now we have Spacek for the remainder of the season to help mentor the younger defensemen and provide a verteran voice in the locker room. I am not too upset about it at all.

Put me in the camp that, yeah, it would have been nice to get something for Spacek, but it isn't a disaster that JR didn't move him.

No way that this is comparable to Whitney. The Whitney mess was right in the middle of JR's string of badness (Maurice, Whitney, Cole, TKabs).

Whitney was a public airing of some dirty laundry. Spacek is a different matter. He's been a trading chip his whole career, coming and going with the trade winds (which were headwinds this deadline).

No kidding. Like not getting a 4th rounder for Spacek is a disaster. Boo hoo. Some of you might want to check out Desperate Housewives before it ends if you aren't getting enough drama around here.

Look around the league. The deadline was dead. You have 6 or 7 elite teams, 22 slightly-above to slightly-below average teams, and then CBJ. A lot of teams like the Canes who are not going to blow things up because they feel they are a piece or two away. And those deals get done in the summer.

Unfortunately, our hands are kind of tied with some questionable contracts. Anthony Stewart, Dwyer, and Nodl come to mind.

While I might agree with you on Stewart, he has learned to accept his role it seems. Dwyer is performing to his contract while shutting down top lines. Nodl was picked up on waivers and in my opinion has been a pleasant surprise. He has slowly developed chemistry with Sutter. The two of them should be kept together for a while. I imagine if they had a winger with more offensive talents that line could be a double threat every night. They already seem to keep the other teams top lines in their zone half the night.

While I might agree with you on Stewart, he has learned to accept his role it seems. Dwyer is performing to his contract while shutting down top lines. Nodl was picked up on waivers and in my opinion has been a pleasant surprise. He has slowly developed chemistry with Sutter. The two of them should be kept together for a while. I imagine if they had a winger with more offensive talents that line could be a double threat every night. They already seem to keep the other teams top lines in their zone half the night.

I totally agree with that, too. There have been recent games where he and Sutter look like a top line in the offensive zone.

I totally agree with that, too. There have been recent games where he and Sutter look like a top line in the offensive zone.

We'll see a bit of that tonight Bowman Sutter Nodl, Bowman's offensive upside is WAY higher than Dwyer's.