The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
jeromeo87

2012 NHL Trade Deadline

We'll see a bit of that tonight Bowman Sutter Nodl, Bowman's offensive upside is WAY higher than Dwyer's.

Yeah, Dwyer and Bowman are polar opposites. It will be an interest change of pace for Noodles and Sutter.

You know listening to Forslund yesterday he made the excellent point that others here have made in the past. While our defense is playing better, statistically our defense is still not where it should be, and even with our first half struggles our offensive production is not bad. Now I am still 100% in my belief that we need to add a proven talented top 6 forward (probably one who can score 4 on 4 and in the shoot out, where we have left mega points on the floor). But more and more I am confident that all we need is one. The other pick up should be a solid solid defenseman.

I know we don't have a pure second line center, but Jussi or Skinner can get us by, heck even Ruutu. Perfect? No, but what team is perfect? Getting a top line creative, point producing winger for Staal's line will open up so much up front that we can get by with guys we have for the other spots. Plus if we stop constantly picking up points we will also get a top 5 draft pick.

More and more I wonder if JR moves McBain or Pitkanen. Now stay with me here. These are both very good players. McBain could become an All Star and Joni on his game is pretty close if not one already. But what we have in Joni is a guy who often plays like he's the 4th forward, driving deep into the zone. This only makes sense to me if the dman has forward-like skills and even then, it leaves you with a forward trying to skate backwards when the play comes the other way. But McBain and Murphy also like to push into the zone. On a team that gives up more shots than a immunization clinic coollaugh.gif (ok not that funny), maybe we just need another Allen or Gleason type.

McBain is an offensive threat to be sure, but his pinches and play in our zone are still well below average. I know he's a young guy with lots of upside, but I am assuming here that there would be a good return. I'm not talking about waiving the guy.

Despite the points they produce Joni and Jamie have basically the worst +/- 's on the defense. And especially Jamie is not facing the opposition's top line very often.

You have to give to get, and we have too many defenseman. Trade Joni or Jamie in a package for that top winger, then go sign a solid stay at home dman.

Gleason, Faulk, Pitkanen, New Guy(stay home bruiser), Allen, Murphy, (Harrison)

Staal, New Guy, Tlusty, Ruutu, Skinner, Jussi, Sutter, Top Draft Pick.....(Brent plus 3 other guys).

Anyhooo....my main point is that we have to get one top 3 forward, then do something to cut down the shots against, and given that our up and coming top d prospect is an offensive type, we might need to rearrange things back there.

You know listening to Forslund yesterday he made the excellent point that others here have made in the past. While our defense is playing better, statistically our defense is still not where it should be, and even with our first half struggles our offensive production is not bad. Now I am still 100% in my belief that we need to add a proven talented top 6 forward (probably one who can score 4 on 4 and in the shoot out, where we have left mega points on the floor). But more and more I am confident that all we need is one. The other pick up should be a solid solid defenseman.

I know we don't have a pure second line center, but Jussi or Skinner can get us by, heck even Ruutu. Perfect? No, but what team is perfect? Getting a top line creative, point producing winger for Staal's line will open up so much up front that we can get by with guys we have for the other spots. Plus if we stop constantly picking up points we will also get a top 5 draft pick.

More and more I wonder if JR moves McBain or Pitkanen. Now stay with me here. These are both very good players. McBain could become an All Star and Joni on his game is pretty close if not one already. But what we have in Joni is a guy who often plays like he's the 4th forward, driving deep into the zone. This only makes sense to me if the dman has forward-like skills and even then, it leaves you with a forward trying to skate backwards when the play comes the other way. But McBain and Murphy also like to push into the zone. On a team that gives up more shots than a immunization clinic coollaugh.gif (ok not that funny), maybe we just need another Allen or Gleason type.

McBain is an offensive threat to be sure, but his pinches and play in our zone are still well below average. I know he's a young guy with lots of upside, but I am assuming here that there would be a good return. I'm not talking about waiving the guy.

Despite the points they produce Joni and Jamie have basically the worst +/- 's on the defense. And especially Jamie is not facing the opposition's top line very often.

You have to give to get, and we have too many defenseman. Trade Joni or Jamie in a package for that top winger, then go sign a solid stay at home dman.

Staal, New Guy, Tlusty, Ruutu, Skinner, Jussi, Sutter, Top Draft Pick.....(Brent plus 3 other guys).

Anyhooo....my main point is that we have to get one top 3 forward, then do something to cut down the shots against, and given that our up and coming top d prospect is an offensive type, we might need to rearrange things back there.

Sorry for the long quote and questionable thread placement, but Hal Gill might be a possibility. I doubt Suter and Weber will be available.

I won't quote due to the length, but you won't here any arguments from me against strengthening the defense. I've blown that horn for quite some time around here. However, I would like to clarify one point Remkin made. Our top D prospect (Dumo) is more Faulk-like than McBain or Pitkanen-like, and projects to have much more of a physical side than Faulk, and doesn't mind using it.

Dumo will likely sign a pro contract here very soon, so he's not only in the pipe, he's not far from being ready, so that's good news. His long-term projection to be with the big club is more short-term now.

I do agree though, something has to give on the blueline, and that's likely a piece that could be packaged for someone to play beside Staal.

Edit: I excluded Murphy in the prospect talk because he really isn't the defensive type.

Good post Rem.

Edited by coastal_caniac

Sorry for the long quote and questionable thread placement, but Hal Gill might be a possibility. I doubt Suter and Weber will be available.

I'd like to see what shakes out at the end of the NCAA year and whether Doumalin, who's 6'4", 210, leaves to come play in Charlotte for the Playoffs like Mr. Faulk did...we are going to have to make room art the blue line for Murphy (8 goals, 25 assists in Jan and Feb)and maybe Doumalin as well. We could be scary young back there but McBain, Faulk, Allen, Doumalin, Gleason, Harrison would make a nice mix...if Doumalin is not ready Spacek could be a nice 1 or 2 year stop-gap. Pitkanen is the odd man out as we could get serious value on draft day or before the season starts.

I'd love to see Dumoulin play for Charlotte or the Canes this spring....but I doubt he's going to make it. BC is playing well, and may very well be tied up in the NCAA until April.

But he has as good a shot at making the Canes roster in October as anyone, if he wants to go pro. The kid looks like the real deal.

I know a lot of people want nothing more than to wave goodbye to Pitkanen. I still don't see it happening. At least not until he's had several games playing under Muller. I think McBain is your trade bait this summer. It's true the Canes do have too many d-men. They have the quantity over quality problem right now. It must be very bleak for the d-men playing in Charlotte right now. Because Murphy and Dumoulin both probably have a better chance of playing for the Canes than anyone in Charlotte.

I don't think there's a perfect scenario that plays out with this blueline roster unless there are some trades made.

Gleason/Pitkanen/Harrison/McBain/Joslin/Faulk...all under contract. Allen and Spacek....with talk of them being made offers. It makes no sense. I think at least two from that first list of 6 may be expendable.

You'd push Harrison to seventh d-man and try to bring in a new guy? I think Harrison is the guy you are looking for... he's a physical defenseman who's offense is really improving, game after game... but he's still a stay at home guy for the most part. He has really improved in the last couple of seasons and is a bargain. I'd get as much out of him as I could before his price goes up, and before I look at bringing in his replacement.

As far as making a trade, I'd keep McBain and trade Joni. Jamie is at the beginning of his career and Pits is peaked out. You'll get more for Pits, especially considering his contract is so juicy, as most teams want the impact now not later. Also, Pitkanen's loss wont be that great - Carolina is playing the best defense at this point than they have in maybe the last two seasons. And Pitkanen hasn't been a factor.

What do you think?

You'd push Harrison to seventh d-man and try to bring in a new guy? I think Harrison is the guy you are looking for... he's a physical defenseman who's offense is really improving, game after game... but he's still a stay at home guy for the most part. He has really improved in the last couple of seasons and is a bargain. I'd get as much out of him as I could before his price goes up, and before I look at bringing in his replacement.

As far as making a trade, I'd keep McBain and trade Joni. Jamie is at the beginning of his career and Pits is peaked out. You'll get more for Pits, especially considering his contract is so juicy, as most teams want the impact now not later. Also, Pitkanen's loss wont be that great - Carolina is playing the best defense at this point than they have in maybe the last two seasons. And Pitkanen hasn't been a factor.

What do you think?

Think you're right. Joni could be a key piece for a top 3/6 winger deal...maybe with another d-man.

I personally think Joni is more valuable to the team than McBain. McBain should be trade bait at the draft. Imagine Joni whipping passes over to Faulk for the one-timer on the PP. I think Joni is a piece that could push the PP up into pure awesomeness every night. It is already kicking *edit* though.

On a side note is it possible to turn this thread into a speculation trade/FA type thread?

On a side note is it possible to turn this thread into a speculation trade/FA type thread?

Sure, but I have a feeling its going to have similar discussions to the 'In between games news and discussion' thread.

Not saying I'm ready for the season to end or anything because it's so much fun to watch the team again, but I think a lot of these discussions are morphing into an off season thread.

Last year, we got that started about this time for those who wanted to discuss things going forward. That makes more sense to me because it doesn't really fit into the between games discussion and and off season thread would carry us through until the start of next season.

Anyway, just a thought.

Someone can go ahead and start a new off season thread. Seems like the easiest thing to do to keep it from getting too confusing.

If I move content to it it'll bump your opening post down because the software populates posts by time and day of post with the oldest first. It'll fill up fast when people see they have a new thread to post their fantasy line ups in ;)

So I guess this thread is now a wrap?