The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
jeromeo87

2012 NHL Trade Deadline

I mean, I guess the value isn't TERRIBLE, but 2 UFAs and a 1st for Perry isn't going to do it.. not even close.

What combination will work to complete a trade seems like it depends on what the other team thinks they need to improve themselves, ie: defensemen, draft picks, salary cap relief, etc.. This is were JR and Peter Karmanos need to be active, strong salesmen/negotiators. Last month,that ol' has-been Scotty Bowman said the only real Top 6 forwards the Canes have are Staal, Skinner, & Ruutu. If his assessment is correct, I don't think we want to trade Ruutu or Staal for another true Top 6 forward...what's the gain. What we need is "another" true Top 6 forward not a one for one swap. IMO we should see what we can get bundling one or two defensemen (except Faulk), a non-Top 6 quality forward like Poni or LaRose (except Sutter & Jokinen) and/or a prospect, maybe add one of our 2nd round draft picks. I'd love to have Ryan, Perry, or even Rick Nash play on our Top 6. We really need two more high end forwards before next season.

Edited by whbailey

Spectors Hockeyhas several rumors about the Hurricanes. Not anything most of don't already suspect but the roundup does mention some possible destinations for some of our favs.

Ottawa Sun-The Carolina Hurricanes are shopping all their UFAs, which include “C Tuomo Ruutu, LW Alexei Ponikarovsky, D Bryan Allen, D Jaroslav Spacek and D Tim Gleason”
Spectors Note-The Hurricanes will be one of the busiest teams in the trade market in the coming weeks

Honestly, I'd give up Staal before Sutter (never thought I'd say that)...The sky is not even close to the limit for Sutter...only 22 and can be an absolute dominant player. If that happened, we'd need to work a Mega-Blockbuster of a deal though. Staal, Gleason and a prospect/high draft pick could possibly bring Getzlaf and Ryan. Fresh starts for everyone and don't underestimate Tim Gleason's trade value, he is very high on a lot of lists right now.

Reality Check: It is very, very doubtfult that Staal gets moved but, then again the Bruins have given up Joe Thorton when he was 25 or 26, wearing the "C" and was the teams's leading scorer at the time. Of course, more recentlty, Phil Kessel as well...it does happen.

I understand. But just because Staal has had one bad season doesn't mean he needs to be shipped out. Sutter will never be a number one center. End of story. We need Staal. End of story.

I understand. But just because Staal has had one bad season doesn't mean he needs to be shipped out. Sutter will never be a number one center. End of story. We need Staal. End of story.

Not at all saying he should be shipped out but if we really wanted to get in on the Ryan/Getzlaf war, it could very well involve a massive shakeup that could include packaging one of our top players. If it were between Staal and Sutter, I think it is a close call. Sutter is only 22 and he has everything in him to be a #1 center. Staal is an absolute force when he is on his game which we have seen recently. Personally, I wouldn't make the trade.

By the time the deadline comes, Allen and Gleason will have some serious value and I expect JR is just waiting for a few teams to come calling so he can make the best deal possible. Those are the players we should move. I'd also try to ship out Tlusty and Dwyer to make room for Bowman and Dalpe.

By the time the deadline rolls around, we should have Pitkanen back and Joslin will be in game shape as well. It will not send shivers down the spines of offenses across the NHL but McBain, Faulk, Pitkanen, Joslin, Harrison and Spacek is a serviacble group for the rest of the year.

With Kabs gone as soon as Joni comes back I'm sure he'll be the next target for blame.

I couldn't tell if Joni was playing better or Kabs was so bad it made him look good.

If we trade Staal, we are going to have even more trouble scoring goals. he is having an off year give it a rest already. Several of you are the "what have you done for me lately type." Sorry to burst your bubble but Sutter is not the 2nd coming. He can't even put together consecutive 20 goal seasons and yet you guys think he is god-like. As of right now, in any of the teams that are currently in the playoffs he is their 4th line center and PK guy. I really hope that puts things into perspective for you. We lack talent. BIG TIME.

18 points in 43 games and a -4 for Brandon. That has elitism written all over it. He should be our go to guy and number 1 center/franchise player right? Do you honestly feel that way? I don't....

Edited by bluedevil58

I'm not ready to see either of them go but to be fair, its hard to compare Sutter's stats to any first line player since most, if not all of his minutes come from the third line and the PK. He's dealing with the same rotating winger issue that Staal is and he doesn't get the same opportunities in all situations. What I've seen is a very smart player with great hands and speed who's not afraid to takes shots from anywhere. Not to mention his FO stats have improve dramatically.

I would love to see a Staal / Sutter one-two punch when the talent on the wing gets upgraded.

We have not recovered from the void that Brindy left.

And Matt Cullen. Not that I'm advocating for a return of Cullen and we know injuries took their toll on Brindy but we've been very thin at center for years. When your top center struggles and because of a lack of options and weak defensive play you cant slide Sutter up from the third line, you're going to struggle to win games.

So many have been calling for a top line winger for Staal but having another capable center who can play top 6 (without disrupting the 3rd line) would be another way to help with the roster short comings.

And Matt Cullen. Not that I'm advocating for a return of Cullen and we know injuries took their toll on Brindy but we've been very thin at center for years. When your top center struggles and because of a lack of options and weak defensive play you cant slide Sutter up from the third line, you're going to struggle to win games.

So many have been calling for a top line winger for Staal but having another capable center who can play top 6 (without disrupting the 3rd line) would be another way to help with the roster short comings.

Today we really need a potential 30+ goal scorer for Staal's wing and a true top 6 20+ goal center for the 2nd line, leaving Sutter as 3rd line center. Several top 6 wings are having off-year's for them. The Ducks seem to have several available (Ryan, Perry, &, at Center, Getzlaf). Even Rick Nash (and his big NTC contract) is off this year. These guys would cost PK but have the potential of many sellouts and a playoff run to offset their pay, ie: Ruutu-Staal-Ryan, Skinner-Jokinen-Perry (or Skinner-Getzlaf-Jokinen)

Edited by whbailey

I read somewhere that the asking price for Ryan is two high-end prospects AND two first round picks. No thanks.

OTTAWA SUN: Bruce Garrioch cited an NHL executive claiming the Ducks asking price for Ryan Getzlaf or Bobby Ryan would be huge, being two high end prospects and two first round picks…

Edited by jeromeo87

given the Canes' monetary policy over the years would a "high-end" player be here for more than just one contract?

Everyone points this out but there is one asterisk that no one ever includes - Thomas Thewes.

His death was quietly one of the worst things that happened to this franchise in the last 5 years. He was the money behind the team and the deals.

With no funds available, the Canes had no choice to get cheap for a while. With the new investors there is potentional to see this trend change. Whether it does or not is a different story. But it's not fair to use the last 5 years, in terms of spending, as an accurate perdiction now that the team has more money to work with.

Everyone points this out but there is one asterisk that no one ever includes - Thomas Thewes.

His death was quietly one of the worst things that happened to this franchise in the last 5 years. He was the money behind the team and the deals.

With no funds available, the Canes had no choice to get cheap for a while. With the new investors there is potentional to see this trend change. Whether it does or not is a different story. But it's not fair to use the last 5 years, in terms of spending, as an accurate perdiction now that the team has more money to work with.

You make a very good and often forgotten point re: Thewes. I really hope you are right about the new investors changing the tight bucks trend. Guess we'll see soon but there are several investors to sway if PK has given them an operational say vs. just one individual in Thewes. Even with Thewes, the Canes had a self-imposed cap below the Leagues; the spread has just gotten wider.

As to getting at least one of those Ducks, that was a very high asking price but it says they are available. You have to start negotiating somewhere, so maybe we'll see how serious PK & the others are!

I would say we will end up with younger lower priced players as apposed to proven stars in the league. The trick will be in choosing which young players to trade for. Will JR look at the teams specific needs or just look for the best player or trade available.

And Matt Cullen.

Who? Never heard of him. Did he used to play for us? Well at least I'm sure if JR let him go he must have replaced him, right? And what of this Cole character?

Well I'm sure if we lose Ruutu, he'll be replaced.

sarcasmalert.gif Do I really need to wear this sarcasm alert thing?

It is going to be an interesting month for us here...Canes went 6-6-3 with Skinner out of the lineup...a couple of those losses were very close and we could have easily gone 9-4-1 in the same span, PP is number 2 in the NHL in 2012 right now. With Skinner back we could certainly be a spoiler, if not in the mix if all goes well...we still need some pieces but the enigma that is Yuri Tlusty reared its head again as he looked quite good on the 1st line with Staal and Ruu last night...I think our wealth of defensemen is where we deal and try to package Dwyer, Nodl, Poikavarsky in a couple deals that send Gleason and I'd bet McBain out the door...

Hm.. Would that kill the 'Gleason to Philly' rumors?

Not necessarily. Pronger is not the only Philly D-men hurting/out.

Kimo is hurting from a hand injury.